Protect your passwords with the open-source KeePass password manager. While the app was initially built for Windows, it can be used on macOS, Android, and Linux as well. KeePass isn’t like other password managers, it doesn’t store the data on a cloud, which keeps it more secure, but difficult to sync across multiple devices.
KeePass uses end-to-end encryption to secure all your data and protect it from hackers. Since there is no cloud storage, the data is stirred as a .kdbx file and can be stored either on a hard drive, or an external drive such as a USB.
How to Download KeePass in 6 Steps
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button on the sidebar to jump to the official download page.
- Select the latest version and your operating system and you will be redirected to the SourceForge website, where the download will automatically begin.
- Double click on the file and choose your preferred language from the dropdown list.
- Accept the license agreement and select the components you wish to install. I recommend to include everything on the list and then click NEXT.
- If you want a Desktop Shortcut or Quick Launch for KeePass, check those boxes, otherwise, just click NEXT.
- Click INSTALL and the installation process is complete.
How to Uninstall KeePass
If KeePass isn’t right for you, you can uninstall it in a few easy steps.
- Open the Add or Remove Program in the Windows settings You can type Add or Remove in the search bar.
- Scroll down until you find KeePass and click uninstall.
- Agree to remove the program and it will complete the uninstallation in under a minute.
Unlike some of the leading commercial password managers, KeePass has a very basic, and somewhat dated user interface. However, what it lacks in style it makes up with top-notch security and features.
Everything is Encrypted
KeePass doesn’t just encrypt your passwords, it encrypts everything in the dashboard. This includes your usernames, notes, and all the other details. It uses a combination of AES 256-Bit encryption and a secure protocol known as Twofish. There is also memory protection that prevents any backdoor access to your passwords.
How to Setup KeePass
As you can see from the download steps above, installation is simple. The difficulty is that the program isn’t easy to use.
- Create a new database by clicking on the icon on the top left corner of the KeePass Window
- Choose the folder you want to use to save the directory
- Set your master password
- Choose a unique name for your database. This will help you find it if you have multiple databases.
- You can also click on the tabs and set your security settings and advanced features. If you aren’t sure what all the technical terms mean, you can just leave the default settings as they are, it’s very secure. When you’re done with the settings, click OK.
- You will be given the option to print all the details of your account, so you can file it in case you need it for later. If you don’t want to leave a paper trail. Just SKIP this step.
- Now that the database is ready you can add passwords. Click on the key icon to get started. The password field will be populated with a secure automatically generated password. If you prefer your own password, just erase what is there, and enter in your own. To see the password, instead of just dots, click on the 3 dots to the right of the password and it will reveal the password.
- Give the entry a title so that will be easy for you to find, and enter your username and the URL of the website and click OK
There are plenty of advanced features, but these are the basics that you will need to know to get started.
💰Is KeePass really 100% free?
Yes, there are no hidden costs or premium upgrades.
⚠️Are KeePass plugins safe?
Since all plugins are created by third-party developers, it is impossible to say that they are all secure. It’s important to research each one before you install it, see what other users are saying and whether it’s recommended or not.
📲Does KeePass work with mobile devices?
The official KeePass software only works with Windows, macOS, and Linux. However, there are several unofficial, but still trustworthy, versions that have been developed for Android and iOs.
💪How secure is KeePass?
KeePass is about as secure as possible for a password manager. It features end-to-end encryption of the entire dashboard, everything is stored locally to prevent a data breach in the cloud, and it has 2-factor authentication just in case your master password was compromised.
⚙️Can I import or export passwords with KeePass?
KeePass is compatible with over 35 other password managers and can integrate the data. You can export passwords using TXT, XML, HTML, and CSV formats.KeePass Review