You can save precious data by downloading WhatsApp for Desktop. However, the desktop app is not a standalone app and only works if you have the mobile app as well.
While WhatsApp for Desktop lacks some of the advanced WhatsApp features, such as video and voice calling, it’s a great addition – especially if you spend most of your day in front of a computer.
How to Download and Setup WhatsApp for Desktop
- Click the DOWNLOAD button on the sidebar to jump to the official WhatsApp download page.
- Click on the green Download button. It will recognize your operating system and offer the correct file for you. In my case, it’s a 64-BIT file for Windows.
- Double click or Run the file when it finishes downloading to your computer.
- It will instantly install on your computer and open the program.
- On your phone app, open the QR scanner by tapping the menu button > and then choosing WhatsApp Web.
- A scanner will open on your phone. Point it at the computer and your WhatsApp account will instantly open on your screen.
- WhatsApp is now synced to your desktop.
You Need WhatsApp for Desktop and Here’s Why.
Nothing is more annoying than having to take your phone out of your pocket every few minutes to see what WhatsApp messages you missed. It drains your battery, uses your data, and wastes your time.
Using the desktop app can help you avoid all three of those issues. Once you scan your QR code, all your WhatsApp conversations will be available on your desktop. This means you won’t have to open your phone to catch up on the latest messages, or group updates. After you’ve connected to the desktop, you don’t need to have your phone on the same network as the computer for the sync to continue. This means that even if you forget your phone at home, you won’t miss out on any important messages.
Another benefit is any pictures or GIFs that are sent via WhatsApp can be downloaded on the computer, freeing up precious space on your phone.
Alternatives to WhatsApp for Desktop
- Telegram: The incredibly popular messenger app has a desktop app that many say is better than WhatsApp. The biggest advantage is you can make calls from the app, something that isn’t available yet for WhatsApp.
- Skype: Make video and voice calls for free to Skype users all over the world. You can also purchase credits to call regular phones, for much less than the average market price.
- Viber: While not quite as popular as WhatsApp, Viber has made some significant improvements to its desktop app over the past year. You can send secret, self-destruct messages, buy credits to call non-Viber users, and set-up a virtual number with a US or Canadian area code.
😇 Is WhatsApp for Desktop safe?
Yes, similar to the mobile app, all conversations on WhatsApp for Desktop are secured with end-to-end encryption. This means that no one can read the messages other than the person or people you’re contacting.
🤓 Can I sync my iPhone to a Windows desktop?
WhatsApp for Desktop works across all major platforms. It doesn’t matter if you have the mobile app on your iPhone and the desktop app for Windows, as long as you can scan the QR code it will work. The same is true going from an Android to a Mac.
😎 Can I use WhatsApp for Desktop without downloading the mobile app?
There is no standalone desktop app for WhatsApp. It will only work if you already have the mobile app installed and active.
🤩 Can I send a WhatsApp to myself, from the desktop to the phone?
Unfortunately, there is no way to send yourself a direct message. What you can do, is create a group where you are the only member. This is a pretty easy workaround and will allow you to send yourself messages.
🤓 Does my phone have to be on in order to receive messages on my desktop?
Your phone must be on and connected to the internet to receive messages. Otherwise, the two devices will not be able to communicate.
😁 Can I log in to multiple computers at the same time?
You can only have one device logged in at a time. Before you can scan your QR code you will have to log out of any other computers (WhatsApp will log you out, you don’t need to actually have the computer with you) and then you can scan the code.
🤩 I forgot to log out when using a computer. Can I log out remotely?
Yes. Open WhatsApp on your phone and click on the Menu Button > WhatsApp Web > Log out from all devices.Visit WhatsApp For Desktop Website