10 Best VPNs for iPhones and iOS in 2022 (Cheap, Fast & Safe)
I travel a lot with my iPhone, so I’m always connecting to unsecured public WiFi networks in airports, cafes, AirBnBs, and malls. Hackers love to exploit weaknesses in public networks, but I stay safe using a VPN. Unfortunately, not all VPNs are equally effective at keeping me safe from hackers trying to steal my data on iOS.
Since most VPNs aren’t advanced enough to work reliably, I tested 40+ VPNs to find the best ones for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod. ExpressVPN is the fastest, most secure VPN for iOS. It worked flawlessly with all streaming platforms and comes with a generous 30-day money-back guarantee. If you subscribe to ExpressVPN, you can get a full refund if you decide that it’s not for you.
Quick Guide: Best VPN Apps for iOS in 2022
- ExpressVPN — The best VPN for iOS has a large network of high-speed servers, plus advanced iOS features like a threat manager. You can also try ExpressVPN risk-free.
- CyberGhost — Streaming-optimized servers to access top streaming platforms, but the 1-month plan only comes with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Largest server network to unblock websites and iOS apps, but your iPhone data might be less private due to its headquarters location.
- PrivateVPN — Powerful high-quality network allows users to access most sites, but it has far fewer servers than other iOS VPNs on this list.
- IPVanish — Allows unlimited device connections, but it doesn’t work with as many streaming platforms as other top iOS VPNs.
- ProtonVPN — Increases your security on iOS with SecureCore technology, but doesn’t have an unconditional money-back guarantee.
- PureVPN — Allows automatic protection on iOS when you visit certain URLs, but the VPN had a privacy breach years ago.
- ZenMate — Sports streaming servers are optimized for watching local events and games, but the VPN doesn’t offer live chat support.
- VyprVPN — Features an interactive map view for instant connections on iPad, but the 1-month plan is a little expensive.
- Ivacy VPN — Protects your iOS downloads with a malware blocker, but the monthly plan is only backed by a 7-day money-back guarantee.
The Best VPNs for iPhones and iOS (Tested in August 2022)
1. ExpressVPN — #1 iOS VPN With a Secure Network of Lightning-Fast Servers to Protect All Your Devices
- 3000+ lightning-fast servers in over 94 countries for lag-free streaming, smooth FaceTime calls, and more on iOS
- Uses 256-bit military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy to keep your iOS connections secure and private
- Easy-to-use native app for iOS 12 and higher
- Allows up to 5 simultaneous iOS connections
- 24/7 customer support via live chat, a knowledge base, and video guides
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN’s network of ultra-fast servers makes it the #1 VPN for secure streaming, gaming, browsing, FaceTime, and more on iOS devices. I got speeds over 330 Mbps during my tests of various ExpressVPN servers, which was only 11% slower than when I wasn’t connected to VPN at all. Since you only need 25 Mbps for 4K video, I never experienced any issues while I used FaceTime with friends, had Zoom calls for work, played Minecraft, or watched videos in HD.
I travel a lot for work, so I often have to access sensitive data on my iPhone while connected to unsecured WiFi networks. I feel at ease knowing that ExpressVPN’s 256-bit military-grade encryption hides my data — I was able to safely access my iPhone banking app safely while connected to a random free hotspot in the airport. There’s even a built-in ExpressVPN Threat Manager that blocks malicious URLs and trackers that violate your privacy while you use iOS apps.
To check if ExpressVPN really conceals data like my actual IP address and location, I tested it for common types of data leaks. Every ExpressVPN server I tested for DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks successfully disguised my IP address. Since these leaks can occur in certain iOS apps even with encryption, it’s essential that every VPN for iOS is able to prevent them.
During streaming tests, ExpressVPN worked reliably with Netflix on iOS, unblocking both the Netflix app and website instantly. Stranger Things played in 4K along with content on HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video US, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer on multiple ExpressVPN servers.
At $6.67 per month (for a 1-year plan), ExpressVPN is slightly pricier than my other top VPNs for iOS. However, ExpressVPN is a great value for its ultra-fast servers and security and privacy bonuses like iOS Threat Manager. You can also get ExpressVPN for 49% off by taking advantage of one of its current deals.
Regardless of which plan you pick, ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee that lets you get a full refund easily. To make sure you can really subscribe to ExpressVPN for iOS worry-free, I tested the policy myself by asking for my money back via live chat. A customer support agent approved my request in seconds, and the money was back in my account in 2 days.
ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, Showtime, Sling TV, Hulu, ESPN, DAZN, YouTube, Facebook, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: OS X El Capitan (10.11) or newer, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Windows, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Smart TVs, and routers.
August 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- Choose from a huge network of 8200+ servers in more than 91 countries, including streaming-optimized options
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy protect your iOS data
- Easy-to-use native app for iOS 13.0 and higher
- Connect up to 7 iPhones, iPads, and other iOS devices at once
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost’s optimized servers ensure that you get access to global streaming services and local TV channels lag-free on any iOS device. These servers make it easy to choose a server that works with most streaming services: in just a few taps, you can directly connect to servers that unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Servus TV Austria, Globo TV Brazil, and dozens of other TV and movie apps.
During my tests of CyberGhost’s optimized streaming servers, I got average speeds of over 300 Mbps. This was way above Netflix’s 15 Mbps minimum for 4K. Plus, my speeds were consistent no matter how far I was from any given server location. That means lag-free TV and movies even on channels that are located on the other side of the world. Non-streaming servers weren’t quite as fast during my tests — but at 180 Mbps on average, they had no issues playing 4K videos on my iPhone and iPad.
On top of the essential security and privacy features you need from iOS VPNs like military-grade encryption, IP leak protection, and a kill switch, CyberGhost also offers NoSpy servers. Its NoSpy network is located in Romania, where the government doesn’t participate in international intelligence-sharing alliances. Managed directly by CyberGhost, these servers give you another layer of privacy since you don’t have to trust your data to third-party server providers.
Although it doesn’t have as many advanced security features as ExpressVPN, it also costs a little less — you can get Cyberghost’s 3-year subscription for $2.29 per month. This plan also comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
That way you can try CyberGhost’s iOS app for free. The 45-day money-back guarantee ensures that you get your money back if you decide it’s not for you. I requested a refund via live chat after a few weeks of testing it, and I was approved in under a minute. The money was back in my account within 3 days.
CyberGhost unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, Showtime, Sling TV, Hulu, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
CyberGhost works on: macOS X 10.12 or newer, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Windows, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Smart TVs, and routers.
August 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- An enormous global network of 35000+ severs in 80+ countries
- 256-bit military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and a zero-logging policy
- Open-source app is compatible with iOS 12.1 and higher
- Allows up to 10 simultaneous iOS connections
- Support available via 24/7 live chat, email, and a knowledge base
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PIA gives you access to the largest server network of any iOS VPN in the market today. The more servers and IP addresses a VPN has, the harder it is for services like Netflix to blacklist all their servers. This gives you a higher chance of finding a server that works with your chosen Netflix library.
During testing, my speeds stayed within the 285-192 Mbps range when I was connected to servers in the US and Europe. They decreased to 14 Mbps when I tested a server in Australia. However, even then PIA was fast enough to watch TV shows and movies in HD — the minimum speed for HD streaming on iOS is only 5-7 Mbps.
It’s easy to try PIA’s native iOS app, with 2-minute installation and an intuitive interface that makes it easy to connect instantly to the fastest server. You can also save locations on a “Favorite” list to easily connect to a server.
The VPN hides your iOS data using military-grade encryption and keeps zero logs of your app use, browsing history, or other activities. There’s even an ad blocker designed specifically for Safari — switch it on by tapping ‘Safari Content Blockers’ in the settings.
The one real con I found to PIA for iOS is that it’s based in the US, a member of the 5 Eyes Alliance, unlike ExpressVPN which is located in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands. This intelligence sharing deal keeps watch on internet users — but since PIA keeps zero logs of your activities, I’m not too concerned. And at $2.19 a month for a 2-year plan, PIA is one of the best month-to-month VPNs and is a really affordable option for iOS.
You can even try PIA on iOS for free since its plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. I asked for a refund via 24/7 live chat support, and my request was approved in a few minutes. The money was in my bank account 4 days later.
PIA unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, Showtime, Sling TV, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
PIA works on: macOS 10.13 or newer (64-bit only), Apple Watch, Windows, Android, and Linux.
August 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 82% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 200+ servers in more than 63 countries, with a Stealth VPN feature to bypass firewalls
- Network uses 256-bit military-grade encryption, a no-logging policy, and a kill switch
- Native app for iOS 9.0 and higher
- Connect to Stealth VPN-enabled servers on up to 10 devices
- 24/7 live chat support plus email, remote help, and FAQ pages
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN’s StealthVPN protects your privacy by disguising your VPN use. This feature ensures that no third party can detect you’re using a VPN on your iOS device.
Aside from Stealth VPN, PrivateVPN also includes effective security and privacy features for iOS. It uses military-grade encryption, a network kill switch, and IP leak protection, but it also has Perfect Forward Secrecy. This creates new encryption keys each time you connect, keeping you one step ahead of hackers on iOS.
Servers across PrivateVPN’s network unblocked most major streaming platforms. During testing of its global server locations, my team confirmed it’s one of the best VPNs to access various Netflix libraries, as well as Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other services.
The one con to PrivateVPN is its server network isn’t as big as other VPNs on this list (especially PIA), so there’s a possibility that some of its IP addresses could get blocked on sites. However, I’m not worried about it since the VPN is always adding new IP addresses to its network.
Plus, PrivateVPN is one of the cheapest China-friendly VPNs for iOS I tried at $2.00 a month for a 3-year plan. It’s also risk-free to try PrivateVPN’s iOS apps for yourself. All its plans are backed by a 30 money-back guarantee that I tested myself. After asking for a refund via live chat support, my request was confirmed and I had my money in under a week.
PrivateVPN unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
PrivateVPN works on: macOS X, Windows, Android, routers, and Linux.
August 2022 Update! PrivateVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2 per month with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 85%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
- Connect to over 2000 servers in 75+ countries with no connection limits
- No-logs servers include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection on iOS
- Apps are easy to install and use on iOS 11.0 and higher
- Use IPVanish on unlimited iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, and other iOS devices
- Get 24/7 support via live chat, email, and online guides
- 30-day money-back guarantee
IPVanish is one of the only VPNs that let you connect unlimited iOS devices at once. Even when I connected to servers on 10 simultaneous iPhones and iPads and played games, ran apps, and watched HD YouTube videos, I barely noticed any slowdowns.
At 300+ Mbps, IPVanish’s speeds on iOS were close to when I wasn’t connected to a VPN at all. They also stayed consistent whether I was connected to a server 3,000 km or 7,000 km away. IPVanish’s ping rates are also consistently low — this refers to how long it takes your iPhone or other device to communicate with the server.
Since it costs $3.99 a month for a 1-year plan, IPVanish is pricier than some other VPNs on this list, but it’s still a good value since it allows unlimited iOS connections. If you’re looking for a VPN to protect all your devices at once, you can try IPVanish on iOS with no risk. Its 30-day money-back guarantee lets you enjoy it for a few weeks and request a full refund afterward.
I used the convenient 24/7 live chat widget to ask for my money back, and the customer support agent offered me an extra 2 months to get me to stay. I declined, and my refund was approved immediately. The money was back in my bank account in a week.
IPVanish unblocks: Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ US, HBO Max, Sling TV, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
IPVanish works on: Mac (version 10.10 or later), Windows, Android, Chrome, Fire TV, Linux, and routers.
- Connect to a selection of 1700+ secure servers in 63+ countries
- 256-bit military-grade encryption on an advanced, zero-logs Secure Core network
- Compatible apps for iOS 12.1 and higher
- Plus plan allows up to 10 simultaneous connections on iOS
- Get help quickly via an online ticket system and guides
- 30-day money-back guarantee for unused portions of the service
ProtonVPN’s SecureCore feature protects you from network attacks on iOS by routing your data through multiple encrypted servers located in privacy-friendly jurisdictions. This makes it harder for any third parties to see your private information on iOS. There’s also an ad, malware, and tracker blocker called NetShield that prevented malicious links from opening in emails and websites while I used Safari.
Streaming tests across ProtonVPN’s global network showed it can unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. Due to its impressive speeds between 200-300 Mbps, TV and movies played lag-free on iOS streaming apps in both HD and 4K mode. While the Basic plan doesn’t include streaming support, Netflix and Hulu still worked during testing.
You can get ProtonVPN for $4.99 per month if you choose 2-year Plus plan giving you access to ProtonVPN’s network of 1700+ secure and private servers in 63 countries. You also get up to 10 simultaneous device connections and no speed restrictions.
Unlike all the other VPNs on this list, ProtonVPN unfortunately doesn’t come with an unconditional money-back guarantee. While ProtonVPN’s free version is one of the top free VPNs for iOS, it’s extremely limited and only has a couple of servers.
If you pay for a plan you can request a refund within 30 days, but you’ll only be reimbursed for the remaining days in your subscription. However, you can save up to 50% if you get the 2-year plan for $4.99 a month. That makes it affordable to use ProtonVPN for iOS and see for yourself.
ProtonVPN unblocks: Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more.
ProtonVPN works on: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Chromebook, Linux, smart TVs, and routers.
- Connect your iOS device to more than 6500 servers in 78+ countries
- Uses 256-bit military-grade encryption, an internet kill switch, and data leak protection
- Works with iOS 12.3 and higher
- Connect up to 10 iOS devices at once
- 24/7 live chat support plus detailed setup guides and FAQs
- 31-day money-back guarantee
PureVPN’s VPN On Demand feature lets you assign automatic VPN protection to websites you visit often on iOS without manually connecting to a server. I found this helpful since I sometimes forget to enable my VPN before opening Safari.
I tested speeds on servers in the US, the UK, and Germany, and got results between 86 Mbps to 150 Mbps. These speeds are fast enough to stream videos on iOS without much buffering, and allowed me to enjoy mobile games without much lagging.
The VPN didn’t have any issues accessing Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer’s iOS apps during testing. No one on my team encountered VPN or location errors getting in the way of a TV show or movie.
While PureVPN had a privacy breach years ago, it restored my trust by updating its processes and creating a random audit policy. This invites top cybersecurity firms like KPMG to do spontaneous PureVPN audits, giving me confidence its servers keep my data safe on iOS. Plus, its 256-bit encryption is military-grade and its servers keep zero logs of your activities while you use PureVPN’s servers.
I found PureVPN plans for $1.99/month that are backed by a 31-day money-back guarantee, so you can try PureVPN risk-free on iOS. If you don’t like it, you can easily claim a refund. I tested the policy by requesting a refund via live chat, and it took a little over a week for the refund to appear in my bank account.
PureVPN unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer
PureVPN works on: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Kodi, Firestick, Routers, Linux
- Global network of 4700+ servers in 80 countries
- 256-bit military-grade encryption, leak protection, no-logs servers, and a kill switch
- iOS apps for version 8.0 and higher
- Allows unlimited devices at once if you get ZenMate Ultimate
- Support available via email, chat bot, and an online knowledge base
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ZenMate has specialized servers for streaming sports on Fox Sport, Globo Sportv, ServusTV, and other global sites on your iOS devices. Just tap “Streaming” in the server menu to open the menu, then select your sports channel of choice.
In addition to its sports streaming capabilities, ZenMate instantly unblocked the websites and iOS apps for Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and even international channels like Hotstar, ORF, TF1, Europe1, and more. The VPN’s solid speeds averaging 90 Mbps resulted in smooth streams whether it was a live sports match or a new Netflix show.
The 3-year ZenMate plan costs $1.99 a month, which means you can get a ZenMate discount of 82%. There is a cheaper “Pro” version, but it only covers web browsers and Safari isn’t included. That’s why it makes more sense to just get the 3-year plan and use the 30-day money-back guarantee if you change your mind.
That gives you plenty of time to check out ZenMate for iOS and see if it suits your needs. While there isn’t a 24/7 live chat support option, I got my refund by filing a ticket on the website. I was refunded in a week.
ZenMate unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, YouTube, and more.
ZenMate works on: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chromebook, Linux, Smart TVs, and routers.
- Reliable network of over 700 servers in more than 70 countries
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection for iOS
- Intuitive apps for iOS 13.0 and higher
- Allows up to 30 simultaneous iOS connections per plan
- 24/7 live chat and email ticket support plus detailed FAQs
- 30-day money-back guarantee
VyprVPN has an interactive map view on iPad that will let you easily compare and connect instantly to servers in 70+ countries. Map view lets you switch servers without having to navigate through multiple screens. While abroad, I used map view to instantly switch from a local server to one in my home country to check my Citibank balance without getting a fraud alert.
VyprVPN has top-standard security features such as military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection. It even published the results of a full audit completed by Leviathan Security proving it keeps zero logs of your IP address, connection times, online activities, or other data.
One small con to VyprVPN is its 1-month plan is a little expensive. However, it’s a solid deal if you get VyprVPN for iOS for $8.33 per month with the 1-year plan. VyprVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try it for free. I asked for my money back using 24/7 live chat, and it was back in my bank account in just over a week.
VyprVPN unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, Vudu, and more.
VyprVPN works on: Android, iPhone, Windows, Mac, Blackphone, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Blackberry 10, QNAP, OpenWRT, and Boxee Box.
- Connect to more than 5700 servers in over 100 locations
- Includes secure downloads on iOS, plus 256-bit encryption and a zero-logs policy
- Apps for iOS 11.0 and higher
- 10 device connections with one account
- 24/7 live chat and ticket support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Ivacy VPN’s Secure Downloading feature automatically blocks malware and viruses hidden in iOS downloads. This makes me feel extra safe since I frequently download files to my iPhone and iPad.
My tests of Ivacy’s servers showed an average speed up to 79 Mbps on servers close by. While the 14 Mbps speed I got on the server in Melbourne was still fast enough to stream videos, I did experience an extra 5-10 seconds of initial buffering before my content would play.
Ivacy offers a 7-day money-back guarantee for its 1-month plan and a 30-day money-back guarantee for longer-term plans. The 5-year subscription lets you try Ivacy for iOS risk-free and only pay $1.00 per month. If you change your mind for any reason, you’ll be fully refunded.
I asked for my money back via 24/7 live chat, and it was approved in a few minutes. The money was back in my PayPal account in 3 days, but the chat support agent mentioned that if you subscribe to Ivacy VPN via credit card, your refund can take up to 40 days to process.
Ivacy VPN unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Kodi, and more.
Ivacy VPN works on: Windows, Android, Linux, macOS, iOS, Fire TV, Android TV, Firefox, Edge, Chrome, smart TVs, game consoles, and routers
What Are the Benefits of Using a VPN on an iPhone?
A premium VPN for iPhones and iOS devices gives you:
1. Enhanced online privacy and anonymity. A VPN keeps your iOS activities private by concealing your real IP address and making it seem like you’re accessing apps and websites from a different location.This hides your data from hackers, websites, and other third parties that watch everything you do in iOS.
Some of the top VPNs on the market like CyberGhost and PIA even have integrated ad and tracker blockers. In addition to protecting your privacy, these give you faster performance on iOS apps and web browsers by freeing up bandwidth.
2. Protection from WiFi attacks. Your iPhone is at risk every time you connect to public WiFi, since these networks are vulnerable to multiple threats including::
- Evil twin — This is when hackers make a fake WiFi hotspot that your iPhone connects to, giving them access to data like the login credentials for your banking apps.
- Man-in-the-middle — This is when a hacker eavesdrops on your iPhone and presents you with a fake website, or messages that pretend to be from someone you know. They’ll then scam you into giving over your passwords or other sensitive data.
- Packet sniffing — This is when a hacker monitors your iPhone activities by exploiting network administrator tools.
3. Maximum connection speeds. Your ISP can restrict your speeds if it detects that you’re using too much bandwidth. A VPN prevents speed throttles by hiding data usage from ISPs.
Quick Comparison Table: 2022’s Best VPNs for iOS (iPhone and iPad)
|My top speeds||Cheapest Monthly Rate||Highest discount deal||Simultaneous device connection||Money-back guarantee (days)|
|Ivacy VPN||120+ Mbps||$1.00||90%||10||30|
How I Tested and Ranked the Best iOS VPN App
With hundreds of VPNs on the Apple App Store, it can be overwhelming when you try to find the best one. I carefully evaluated more than 40 VPNs against the following criteria:
- Native app for iOS — Every VPN on this list has a custom app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Apple TV. Some even have Siri compatibility and haptic touch controls. This is when you press and hold the VPN app icon to display instant connection options.
- Fast speeds — I ran speed tests on multiple global servers to see which VPN apps performed best for streaming, browsing and downloading on iOS.
- Strong security and privacy features — All the top iOS VPNs have military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and automatic kill switches. I also ensured they have DNS and IP leak protection to prevent your online activity from being revealed to any trackers. I also reviewed each VPN’s history and headquarters location.
- Large global network — The VPNs on this list all have extensive networks, giving you less chance of your iOS activities slowing down due to server congestion from too many users. A large network also makes it harder for location-restricted iOS apps to keep up with blacklisting a VPN’s IP addresses.
- Reliable money-back guarantee and customer service — I made sure that every VPN on this list has a money-back guarantee that lets you get 100% of your subscription fee back. ProtonVPN is the single exception that has limits to its refund policy — you only get refunded for unused days. All the VPNs on this list also include 24/7 support via live chat, email, or both.
- Unblocks streaming sites — Since many people use their iPhones and iPads to stream shows and movies, I chose VPNs that work with multiple iOS streaming apps.
Easy Guide: How to Set Up a VPN on Your iOS Device
- Install a top iOS VPN from the App store. I recommend ExpressVPN for its fast speeds and advanced security for iOS.
- Launch the app. Sign in with your username and password or subscribe from within the app. Just remember that some VPNs don’t have the same money-back guarantee if you sign up directly from iOS, so it’s better to pick a plan from the VPN’s website.
- Allow the VPN to add configurations. You’ll be prompted to enter your device password to allow installation.
- Connect to a server. Choose a location depending on your needs. If you want the fastest server, choose one in a local location.
- Start browsing, streaming, or gaming on iOS. Now you’re fully protected while you use your iPhone, iPad, or other iOS devices.
FAQ: iPhones, iPads, and VPNs
Which VPN is best for watching Netflix on my iPhone or iPad?
ExpressVPN is the best iOS VPN to watch Netflix. TV shows and movies played lag-free in HD on Netflix US, UK, Japan, Colombia, and other locations because of the blazing-fast speeds on ExpressVPN’s global network.
Will using a VPN impact my iPhone’s battery life or mobile data?
Premium VPNs with native iOS apps are designed to minimize battery and data use. However, some impact is inevitable with all iOS apps and low-quality VPNs can increase battery drain up to 20%.
Here are some ways to minimize your mobile data and battery consumption while using a VPN:
- Connect only when necessary. To lower your data consumption, only use a VPN when you’re accessing sensitive data like on banking apps and email accounts.
- Switch to a light protocol such as WireGuard. Audited for safety and lightweight, WireGuard uses up minimal battery power on iOS.
- Use a VPN with a battery-friendly mode. CyberGhost’s Battery Saver option disconnects the VPN when your screen is off.
- Install the VPN on your router. This protects all the iOS devices connected to your home network without you having to run a battery-draining app.
Can a VPN help me change my Apple App Store location?
No — your Apple App Store location depends on your Apple ID location, not your IP address. If you’re traveling abroad and would like to access local iOS apps, you can change your Apple ID location by tapping Settings > Media and Purchases > View Account. Then add a credit card from your new location or enter an iTunes gift card code.
Keep in mind that if you download any region-locked app in one location and attempt to use it while in another, the app might not work. However, you can use a VPN to connect to a server in your original Apple ID location and use your favorite apps no matter where you are. Just ensure that VPN use is not against the app’s Terms of Conditions, and that the app is legal in your local country.
Is it possible to share iPhone VPN via personal hotspot?
While it’s true that you can share all the benefits of a premium iOS VPN to other devices via hotspot, it doesn’t work with iPhones and other iOS devices. If you want to connect your devices to a VPN-connected hotspot, you can install a VPN on your router. Make sure you choose a VPN that works with routers (all the VPNs on this list work well with routers.
Can I use a VPN on more than just my iOS devices?
Yes. All the best iOS VPNs work with most major routers, browsers, and operating systems including Windows, Android, Linux, and Chromebook. Some VPNs are even compatible with Smart TVs and other streaming devices such as Roku, Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick. Avid gamers can also set up a VPN connection on their Playstation, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch as well.
Does my iOS device come with a VPN?
There’s no built-in VPN on iOS devices. While you can manually configure your VPN settings directly on iOS devices, you still need a subscription to one of the top iOS VPNs. It’s a slightly complicated process, so it’s easier to just install a ready-to-use VPN with a dedicated iOS app.
I recommend you use ExpressVPN for iOS to get the fastest speeds and some of the most advanced security features. Its plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee that lets you buy with confidence.
Can I use a free VPN on my iPhone and other iOS devices?
Yes, but you’ll be putting your data at risk — there are hundreds of free VPNs on the App Store, but most make money by selling your data to advertisers. Worse, some free VPNs are decoys to infect your devices with malware and defeat the purpose of using an iOS VPN.
Although there are several free VPNs with strong security features and strict no-logging policies they limit your data server selection, and speeds. These free VPNs aren’t powerful enough to access most streaming sites either, since they can’t invest in the latest server technology.
Stay Safe Online With a VPN for Your iPhone and iPad
Your iOS devices are at risk of eavesdropping, malware, and hacks, but many VPNs on the App Store can’t protect your data without compromising speeds. After testing speeds, encryption, unblocking capabilities, and other features, I found that ExpressVPN is the best VPN for iPhones and other iOS devices. As someone who constantly travels for work, I use ExpressVPN to protect my data while connected to unsecured wifi networks.
You can try ExpressVPN’s iOS app for yourself with no risk because it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you decide that it’s not for you, you can ask for a refund via 24/7 live chat. I got my request approved with no questions asked.