Notepad++ Download for Free - 2024 Latest Version
If you need a reliable text editor with advanced features, such as syntax highlighting and folding, auto-complete, multi-document management, and a customizable GUI, Notepad++ is an ideal option.
Notepad++ is a free and open-source code editor with a simple UI and is available under the GPL license. Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL to ensure higher execution speed and smaller program size.
Follow the simple guide I provided below to download and install Notepad++ on your PC for free.
How to Download and Install Notepad++ on Your PC for Free
- Click on the Download button on the sidebar to go directly to the official Notepad++ download page.
- Click on the “Download” button to get the setup file. Double-click the file to start the installation of the app on your PC.
- Select the components you want to install and un-check the components that you do not want to install.
- Click Finish to complete the setup and run the program. You can now start coding or editing scripts using Notepad++.
How to uninstall Notepad++ from your PC
If Notepad++ doesn’t quite meet your expectations for a source-code and text editor and you’d like to discontinue using the application, here’s how to uninstall Notepad++ from your PC:
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar and hit the Enter key.
- Scroll and locate Notepad++ on the list of installed programs, then click the “Uninstall” button.
- Once the uninstallation wizard opens, confirm that you want to remove the application, and it will be deleted from your computer.
If you’d still like to try out other source-code editors, check out the free alternatives below.
Overview of Notepad++
Notepad++ is probably a text editor that every developer and IT person uses every day. The resource is absolutely free and open-source. It has a pretty simple user interface and it comes with virtually all the features that you’d love to see in a text editor. This makes it ideal for users with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
You’ll find important features like text highlighting, finding words, replacing text, and debugging pretty handy for HTML and text editing. Additionally, it supports several languages but runs only on the MS Windows environment under GNU General Public License. Notepad++ includes a powerful editing component Scintilla, which ensures a higher execution speed.
Notepad++ is excellent for reformatting files or performing advanced find and replace functions. The tool is not only lightweight, but it also uses less CPU power, helping you cut down on power consumption. However, Notepad++ does not support intelligent code completion or syntax checking.
Features of Notepad++
- Advanced search and text replacement
- Syntax highlighting and folding
- Limited Auto-completion of texts strings with regular expressions
- Supports multiple documents and multiple views
- Drag ‘N’ drop
- Dynamic position of views
- Supports multiple language environment
- Macro recording and playback
- Simultaneous editing
- Searching strings of text in a directory
- Guided indentation
- Line bookmarking
- Split screen editing and synchronized scrolling
- Line operations, including sorting, case conversion, and removal of redundant whitespace.
Free Alternatives to Notepad++
Sublime Text: Sublime Text is a full-featured free source code editor designed to help developers accomplish tasks that involve code editing with ease. It supports many programming and markup languages. Sublime text features syntax highlighting, auto indentation, file type recognition, etc.
Visual Studio Code: Unlike Notepad++, Visual Studio Code is a cross-platform source-code editor for Windows, Linux, and macOS. Visual Studio Code is built for simplicity when editing codes and is great for beginners and professional developers. It also features syntax highlighting, support for debugging, intelligent code completion, snippets, code refactoring, etc.