WinZip has long been one of the top ZIP tools, and the release of WinZip 24 has introduced some great new features. These include:
- Better search functionality
- Added ZSTD compression to Zipx for faster compression
- Tag folders as Favorite in the files pane
- Merging multiple PDFs files into a single PDF (Only works with Pro version)
Download WinZip in 3 Easy Steps
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button and go directly to the official WinZip download page.
- Choose the TRY IT FREE option.
- After the file downloads, double click and select RUN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and when the installation is complete, WinZip will open.
WinZip has a free 21 day evaluation period and when the program first opens, you will be given the option of purchasing the pro version or using the evaluation version. If you choose the evaluation option you will not have access to the features reserved for Pro only.
How to Uninstall WinZip
If you don’t want to keep WinZip on your computer after the 21-day trial, you can remove it in a few easy steps.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar.
- Scroll down until you find WinZip and click the UNINSTALL button.
- The Windows installer will take care of the rest and completely remove WinZip from your computer.
WinZip has an easy-to-use interface. You can zip any file in just a few steps.
- Choose the files you want to zip. You can either drag-and-drop them directly into the app or use the easy navigation sidebar to select the folder or the file you want to zip.
- Select the Actions you want to take from the sidebar on the right side.
- Choose whether you want to save the archive locally or share it via email, the cloud, social media, or instant messenger.
WinZip Opens These Formats
WinZip is a powerful archiving and compressing software. It works with just about every format including:
- TZ and Z
- ISO and IMG
and many more.
There are several actions that you can take with each file:
- Encrypt the files with 256 -bit AES, 128-bit AES, and Legacy (Zip 2.0)
- Reduce photo size
- Remove personal details from each file
- Convert photos to BMP, GIF, JPG, JP2, PNG, OSD, TIF, WEBP, and SVG
- Convert and combine PDFs
- Add a watermark
How to Share WinZip Files
WinZip is also compatible with many different cloud services, social media sites, and messenger apps — which makes it easy to share compressed files.
Social Media Sites:
- Google Drive
Instant Messenger Apps:
- Google Talk
- Office 365 Groups
- Twitter DM
Free Alternatives to WinZip
- WinRAR: When it comes to archiving and compressing files WinRAR is an excellent choice. It can handle a wide range of formats and can add encryption and password protection as an added safety measure. WinRAR comes with a free 40-day trial, which never really expires.
- 7ZIP: Unlike WinZip and WinRAR, 7ZIP isn’t just free on a trial basis. It’s 100% free, open-source software that has a high compression ratio using the 7z format. It supports all the major formats and has a higher compression ratio than WinZip. The only downside is it lacks the extra features that you’ll find in WinZip.
Q. Is WinZip Free?
A. You can download and use WinZip for free during a 21 day evaluation period. At the end of the 21 days, you will either need to purchase the software or delete it from your computer.
Q. Is WinZip safe?
A. I tested the file on VirusTotal and it didn’t show any reports of viruses or malware. As long as you download the file from a trusted location and not a third-party software site, you should be fine.
Q. Is WinZip Necessary?
A. Windows does come with a built-in compression tool. However, it’s very basic and doesn’t include the advanced tools or features that WinZip has.
Q. What is better: WinZip or 7Zip?
A. 7Zip is a free product and, in many ways, you get what you pay for. It does have a high compression ratio, but it lacks all social media, cloud storage, and instant messenger compatibility. WinZip also has more personalization options, with all the possible actions that you can take.
Q. What formats does WinZip work with?
A. I gave a partial list of formats above, here is the complete list of compatible format extensions: zip, zipx, tar, gzip, compress (.z), cab, RAR, bz2, lzh, 7z, IMG, ISO, XZ, VHD, VMDK, UUencode, XXencode, MIME, BinHex, arj, lza, arc.WinZip Review