How to Download Microsoft Word for Free
To be honest, there is no unlimited free version of Microsoft Word, and anyone who is offering you a free copy is either trying to trick you or will give you a pirated version.
However, you can download Microsoft Office 365 and get Word free for 30 days. Then decide if you want to purchase a subscription, or if you have multiple email addresses, you can sign up for another free month trial.
I’ll also show you how you can get a limited version of Microsoft Word 100% free without downloading any software.
Video Tutorial: How to Download Microsoft Word (Office 365) for Free
Quick Guide to Downloading Microsoft Word for Free
- Click on the Download button to go to the hidden Microsoft page that allows you to download Word for free and click TRY ONE MONTH FREE.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account. If you don’t have one, you can create one here. Just connect it with your regular email address and click on the NEXT button.
- You’ll be redirected to a page confirming that you want a 1-month trial. Click the NEXT button.
- Choose your Payment Method; either Credit Card or PayPal. Don’t worry, you won’t get billed as long as you cancel your account before the month is complete.
- If you want to pay with PayPal, log in to your PayPal account and allow it to connect with Microsoft
- If you choose Credit Card, input your credit card information in the correct fields
- After your payment method has been processed, click on the CONTINUE button.
- You’re almost ready to start using Word. Click on the SUBSCRIBE button to proceed with the download.
- Click on the INSTALL button.
- Once again, click on the INSTALL button.
- The download will (finally) start.
- When the download is finished, click CLOSE.
The gold standard of word processors, Microsoft Word has maintained its position as the best word processor for over 20 years. It comes with several hundred fonts, and if you can’t find the one you want, you can easily download and install it in the Microsoft Office 365 font folders.
Some other features are:
- Spell check
- Grammar check
- Easy to use formatting options
- Choose from thousands of templates
- Compatible with other Microsoft Office 365 apps
- Save to the cloud with OneDrive Access
The program is very easy to use, so you can create, organize, and design professional-looking documents with no real prior knowledge. And what you see on the screen is what you’ll get when you print or present the document. When you’re done you can save the work to your cloud-based OneDrive account, save as a PDF, or keep it as an editable word document.
How to Get Microsoft Word for Free
Microsoft does have a free version of Word (and all their other Office 365 products) that you can use without having to download any software. While it is lacking some of the features of the software, it can certainly get the job done.
- Go to Office.com.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account or create a free account.
- Click on the Word icon to begin.
How to Uninstall Word
If you decide that Word isn’t for you, or your free month trial is up and you want to uninstall the program, just follow these 3 steps.
- Open the Add or Remove Programs from the system settings.
- Scroll down until you see Microsoft Office 365
- Click UNINSTALL.
This will uninstall the entire Office 365 suite of apps. When it is completed you will need to restart your computer.
Alternatives to Word
If you’re not interested in paying a premium price for Microsoft Word there are some really capable alternatives.
You can create, edit, share, and access Google Docs from anywhere, provided you’re online. Google Docs is great for shared projects as it supports live synced editing. It’s also compatible with Word, which is a nice feature.
LibreOffice is a free open source software that supports .doc and .docx files. LibreOffice has a similar look to Word, which is great if you’re already familiar and comfortable using Word.
If you have a Dropbox account, you’ll automatically have access to its free word processor program. The interface is clean and simple, so you can work on creating the best content without distractions.
😁 Can I download Word without Microsoft Office 365?
No, Word is part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite, the different programs are not sold separately.
🤑 Is there a free version of Word?
Microsoft does have a free online version of Word that can be accessed at Office.com.
😇 Is Word safe?
As long as you download the file from Microsoft, it’s 100% safe. If you download from a 3rd party or torrent site, it may contain malware or viruses in the installer.
🤩 Where will Word be installed on my computer?
During the installation process you will have to choose a destination folder. The default location is typically in your C: folder. It will also add an icon in your Start menu for quick access.
🤓 How do I cancel my Word subscription?
To cancel your account before the 30-day free trial ends and your credit card gets charged you will have to go to log in to your Microsoft account and turn off recurring payments. You will still have access to the program until the end of the billing cycle.