Excel, part of the Microsoft 365 collection of apps, is the most powerful spreadsheet tool, and it isn’t even that close. Excel will turn your data into actionable data. You can use it for everything from tracking data and spotting trends, creating tables to help visualize the data, complete complex mathematical functions, or just collate data and making lists.
Since there are so many different features, Excel has excellent guides to teach you how to create formulas, pivot tables, and more.
While it’s typically a premium subscription-based program, I’ll show you how you can get it and the entire Microsoft 365 collection free for 30 days.
How to Download Excel (Microsoft 365) for Free
- Click the Download button on the sidebar. It will open a page within WizCase with some important information, and some helpful FAQs. Click the Download Now button and the Microsoft 365 download page will open in a new tab.
- Click the Try Free for 1 Month link.
- Next, you have to click the Sign Up Free button.
- If you have a Microsoft account, you can log in now, but you can only take advantage of the free trial if you’ve never purchased an Office subscription. If this is the case, click on the Create Account link and register a new account using a different email address, and you’ll be able to proceed. Creating an account is free, and all you need is a valid email address and a password.
- Microsoft requires that you enter payment details, even though you won’t be charged until the completion of your 30-day free trial. To proceed, click the Next button.
- There are three payment options; Credit Card or Debit Card, PayPal, or Mobile Phone. Select the best option for you, and a secure payment page will open.
- Enter your payment information and click the Save button.
- Press the Subscribe button.
- Microsoft 365 will confirm the card or PayPal account is valid. Once the confirmation is complete, press the Continue button.
- Click the Download Desktop Apps button, and a new tab will open directly to your new Microsoft dashboard.
- The final step is to press the Install Office button, and the exe file will automatically download to your computer.
- After the download is complete, double click on the file, and Excel, along with all the Microsoft365 apps, will automatically install on your computer.
How to Get Microsoft Excel 365 for Free
While you can download a free trial of Excel and the entire Microsoft 365 suite, you’ll have to pay to keep using it past the first month. If this is something you want to try, check out our step-by-step guide for downloading MS Excel.
The browser-based Excel is a good option for basic functions and formulas. However, if you need advanced tools, extra security, and improved UI, the Microsoft 365 app is really the only way to go.
Advantages of Using the Excel 365 app
Although most features are the same, these differences can occur if you upload a workbook and view it in the browser.
- Some controls, like ActiveX, will block a workbook from being viewed online.
- While you can edit workbooks that have data validation, it can’t be set up in the browser.
- Not all fonts will display in the same way. If the workbook uses a font that you don’t have on your computer, a different font will be substituted.
- Legacy macro features will not be displayed in the web browser.
- If multiple people are logged into a workbook, the redo and undo features will not work.
- Password or encrypted workbooks will not open in a browser, however, if just a worksheet is protected, it can be viewed online.
Step by Step Guide: Sign Up for Free Access to Excel 365
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button on the sidebar to visit the Office website. (This won’t download anything, but instead will redirect you to the Office page.)
- Whether you currently have a Microsoft account yet or not, click the SIGN IN button.
- If you have a Microsoft account, enter your login details here. If you don’t have an account yet, click the CREATE ONE link.
- Enter the email address that you want to be associated with the account and click NEXT. It has to be a real email address because you will need to verify it.
- Create your password and click NEXT.
- You’ll be emailed a verification code – enter it here and click NEXT
- Prove you’re not a robot by entering the Captcha and click NEXT.
- That’s all there is to it! You will be redirected to the Office 365 browser apps. Click on Excel to get started.
Additional Microsoft 365 Apps
In addition to a great collection of productivity software, Microsoft 365 comes with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage for each user.
- Word: The gold standard in word processing, Word comes with a host of essential features, such as grammar and spell check, formatting options, a wide selection of fonts, and templates for everything from resume writing to creating marketing materials.
- PowerPoint: You can be as creative as you want or work on a pre-made template. Whatever you choose, PowerPoint will help you create a good-looking presentation. There is no limit to the number of slides per presentation, and you can use animations and transitions to help bring your presentations to life.
- Outlook: Keep your calendar, to-do lists, meeting scheduler, and email all in one app with Outlook. The software allows you to send emails from multiple accounts, so you only need one app for sending personal and professional emails.
Is there a free version of Excel?
Excel for the Web is 100% free, all you need is a Microsoft account. There is also a free trial version of Excel 365, which can be downloaded for free and used for 30 days at no cost.
How do I cancel my Excel Account?
If you want to cancel Excel you will need to log in to your Microsoft account, click on your avatar in the top right corner > My Account > Manage (located under the credit card information) > Cancel.
Can I download Excel and not Word?
Unlike with Excel 2016, Excel 365 is part of the Microsoft 365 bundle and therefore is not a standalone app. If you want Excel you’ll have to download the entire bundle. However, if you want to download it for a smartphone or tablet you can choose to just download Excel.
Are Excel passwords secure?
While they are secure, you can increase the security by encrypting the workbook or worksheet with an AES 128-bit encryption that will all but guarantee no one will be able to see your spreadsheets.
Can Excel open CSV files?
This is one of the differences between Excel and Excel for the Web. The downloaded version of Excel 365 can open CSV files while the browser-based Excel can not.Read More