How to Get a Thai IP Address (Updated 2023)
If you’re outside Thailand and try to check your Bangkok Bank account or watch your favorite shows like Girl From Nowhere, you’ll likely be blocked. To solve this problem, you can use a VPN to get a Thai IP address from anywhere and access your usual sites.
A new local IP address is useful when you’re within Thailand as it can protect you from constant surveillance, hackers, weak WiFi security, and other threats on the Thai web.
Lots of VPN providers claim to have reliable Thai servers, but I tested 45+ VPNs to find the best, and the #1 was ExpressVPN. Its strong security features, unblocking capabilities, and lightning-fast speeds make it my top pick for getting a Thai IP address. You can also buy ExpressVPN in confidence as it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Get a Thai IP address with ExpressVPN
Quick Guide: 3 Easy Steps to Get an IP Address in Thailand From Anywhere
- Download a VPN. The best choice is ExpressVPN because during my tests I found it combined top-notch security features with super-fast speeds on its server in Thailand.
- Connect to a server. This replaces your IP address with one that comes from an encrypted server in Thailand, anonymously unblocking Thai websites and apps.
- That’s it! Now you can log in and use your usual Thai accounts safely from anywhere.
Access Thai content with ExpressVPN
The Best VPNs to Get a Thai IP Address (Tested in 2023)
1. ExpressVPN — The Best Overall VPN for Thailand With Ultra-Fast Speeds, Fully-Audited Security Features, and More
- Many reliable IP addresses in Thailand and 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption, audited TrustedServer technology, proprietary security protocol, automatic Network Lock kill switch, and more
- Apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and other platforms
- Connect to Thai IP addresses on up to 5 devices at the same time
- 30-day money-back guarantee backs all subscriptions
ExpressVPN is the #1 best overall VPN for getting a Thai IP address, giving you lightning-fast servers with multiple proprietary security and privacy features. Its consistent speeds could always handle UHD Netflix, and bonuses like its Lightway VPN protocol and TrustedServer technology keep your data safe and your connection private on the Thai web.
ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol also proved to be faster than other VPN protocols I tried. I used Lightway to connect to the server in Thailand and was able to watch Kaykai Salaider’s fashion videos on YouTube with zero lag in UHD. The server only caused a slowdown of 10% compared to my baseline internet speed, which wasn’t enough to notice any difference. Zero buffering is impressive considering the network was over 5,000 miles from my location in the UK, but ExpressVPN was fast enough no matter what server I used.
In addition to super-fast speeds, ExpressVPN’s open-source proprietary protocol can be audited by any expert in the world to ensure it protects your data. Every one of its Thai IP addresses also uses AES 256-bit encryption, which is the same level of protection used by the US military. Plus, the VPN’s location in the British Virgin Islands places it in one of the most privacy-friendly jurisdictions in the world. The VPN also includes:
- IP and DNS leak protection — stops your real location, identity, and other information from sneaking past encryption while you’re using a Thai IP address.
- Automatic kill switch — terminates the internet if your device goes to sleep and you lose your VPN connection, preventing your data from being revealed.
- Split tunneling — lets you choose which sites to access through the VPN, allowing you to use local apps and a Thai IP address at the same time.
- Independently audited — multiple external audits of ExpressVPN’s no-logs policy verified that none of your data using Thai IP addresses is stored by the company.
- RAM-based servers — ExpressVPN’s TrustedServer technology doesn’t rely on hard drives, so zero information about you can be stored on its servers.
During tests of ExpressVPN’s servers in Thailand for unblocking content, it accessed Thai and global TV and movie channels instantly. Episodes of Divided Heart loaded on Channel 7 in around 3 seconds and Love Destiny: The Movie played lag-free on Netflix Thailand in UHD. It could also get past errors on Netflix US and many other global and Thai streaming services to play content with zero lag, including:
|Channel 8||Channel 3||Lao Star Channel||Mono 29||TGN|
|Netflix UK, Canada, & more||Amazon Prime Thailand||BBC iPlayer||Disney+||HBO Max|
The customer support for ExpressVPN was also very fast and informed. I got a response in less than a minute via 24/7 live chat. The agent gave me helpful information about which encryption protocols to use for gaming, torrenting, and other specific activities on the server in Thailand.
You can get ExpressVPN for $6.67 a month with the 1-year + 3 months subscription, which is one of the pricier VPN plans on this list. However, it’s definitely worth the money as it was the fastest I tried. My tests showed it also has the strongest unblocking capabilities for Thai apps, sites, and online services, so you’ll never get locked out of your rightful accounts from abroad.
There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee that makes it risk-free to buy. If you change your mind, just reach out to the VPN via 24/7 live chat and ask to be reimbursed before the 30-day window closes. There are no questions asked — my request was approved in under a minute, and I had my money back in 4 days.
Get a Thai IP address with ExpressVPN
2023 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
2. CyberGhost — The Most Local Servers for Streaming and Browsing Thai Content Seamlessly
- 3,000+ servers in 91 countries, including 25+ in Thailand
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption, DNS/IP leak protection, and a split tunnel
- App for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire Stick, and more
- A maximum of 7 simultaneous device connections per account
- 45-day refund policy on every plan except the 1-month option
CyberGhost’s impressive 25+ servers in Thailand give you reliable local IP addresses, with a larger network than any of the other VPNs on this list. Tests of 5 different Thai servers instantly unblocked Bangkok Traffic (Love) Story on Netflix and Love Destiny on Channel 3. The VPN also seamlessly access the following services:
|Channel 7||Channel 8||Lao Star Channel||Mono 29||TGN|
|Netflix||Amazon Prime||BBC iPlayer||Disney+||HBO Max|
Every Thai show and movie I watched loaded in 5 to 7 seconds, and then played without buffering. This is because CyberGhost’s Thai IP addresses are fast no matter your distance from the country. Measured against my baseline speed without a VPN, my connections were only around 14% slower, which made no difference to the quality of my viewing experience. In fact, the only VPN faster than CyberGhost was ExpressVPN.
You can choose from 4 protocols, all with military-grade 256-bit encryption. CyberGhost also includes these features for security and privacy peace of mind on your new Thai IP addresses:
- Automatic kill switch — instantly terminates the internet if your device is about to expose your data, so your real IP address stays hidden.
- Split tunneling — lets you choose which sites use the VPN connection, so you can access Thai sites and local ones in the same session.
- Strict no-logs policy — was independently audited by Deloitte and is based in Romania, a country with no internet surveillance or data-sharing agreements.
- IP and DNS leak protection — prevents your DNS or IP information from sneaking past encryption protocols, especially on servers that are extremely far away.
I tried CyberGhost’s customer support and I got answers to my questions in around a minute using the 24/7 live chat. The agent responded with images showing particular server features I asked about to illustrate his answer visually, which was helpful.
The 2-year + 3 months subscription costs $2.11 a month, which is a great value for CyberGhost’s features and functionality. There is also a generous refund policy of 45 days so you can try it before you commit. I tested this refund policy using 24/7 live chat and got a confirmation in 2 minutes. I had my money back within a week.
Get a Thai IP address with CyberGhost
2023 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.11 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 84%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. NordVPN — Premium VPN With Cheap Prices on Long-Term Plans
- Short and long-term subscriptions available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5,700+ global servers in 60 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Protect up to 6 devices at once
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs on the market — and you can get super cheap prices when you sign up for a long-term subscription. One thing to note, however, is that when it’s time to renew your subscription, prices do increase quite significantly.
I was particularly impressed with the high performance of every server I tested. Just because a VPN has thousands of servers doesn’t mean they all work. Servers can still struggle to unblock local sites — and some can even fail to connect completely. However, I easily unblocked Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max on multiple servers in the US and UK.
I did, however, have issues with using NordVPN’s native Fire TV app. Although it worked and unblocked some streaming services, it sometimes had issues unblocking Netflix US and kept crashing. I also found that NordVPN’s user interface for desktop devices was less user-friendly than ExpressVPN and CyberGhost.
NordVPN has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- a kill switch that cuts your internet access if your connection to a VPN server drops suddenly
- built-in ad and malware blocker, so you don’t need a third-party ad blocker
- fully audited no-logs policy (audited by PwC) – NordVPN doesn’t store any personal or identifying data while you’re connected to the VPN
In addition, NordVPN includes Threat Protection that protects you from viruses, infected websites, and trackers – and it works whenever you have the NordVPN app open, even if you’re not connected to a VPN server.
With plans that cost as little as $3.99 per month, it’s easy to find a NordVPN subscription plan that suits your needs. You can also stream, torrent, and browse for free for up to 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I tested this to ensure that you’ll really get your money back. At first, the support team tried to give me an extended trial period — but they initiated my refund right away after I told them I wasn’t interested in the extension. I got my money back in 6 business days.
NordVPN works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Fire Stick, and Android TV
4. Surfshark — Best Value for Money with Unlimited Device Connections and Fast Speeds
- Short and long-term plans available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3,200+ global servers in 100 countries
- No bandwidth restrictions
- Connect unlimited devices at once
Surfshark offers the best value for money out of every premium VPN on the market. You can connect an unlimited number of devices with a single subscription, which means you can use Surfshark on all your devices without getting logged out.
I tested Surfshark’s simultaneous connections on 2 PCs, 2 phones, a Fire Stick 4K, and an iPad. My connection remained reliable on all 6 devices. Even while I was actively streaming on all my devices, my average speed was 112 Mbps — fast enough for UHD quality.
When I saw the price of this service, I thought it couldn’t possibly have top-grade security features for such a low price, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Surfshark has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption on all devices, with ChaCha encryption available for Android users
- Wireguard VPN protocol enabled by default
- diskless, RAM-only servers to protect your privacy (no data can be physically extracted from any servers)
- kill switch (although this isn’t enabled by default)
- IP and DNS leak protection
Surfshark offers two-factor authentication (2FA) on your account. This feature requires you to enter an extra code before you can log in to ensure that only you can access your account.
While Surfshark does have slightly fewer global servers than rivals such as CyberGhost and PIA, I didn’t experience any issues during my tests. I easily connected fast working servers every time, and I had excellent speeds for streaming Netflix in UHD, downloading torrents, and browsing the internet.
You can try Surfshark for yourself with the 30-day money-back guarantee. It has plans that cost as little as $2.30. Requesting a refund is easy with Surfshark’s live chat feature. Although the support team asked why I wanted to cancel my subscription, I had no problem getting my money back (and it only took 4 days!).
Surfshark unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, Hotstar, HBO Max, DAZN, and more
Surfshark works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux, Fire Stick, Samsung Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs, Android TV, Kodi, and selected routers
5. PrivateVPN — Perfect Forward Secrecy Constantly Outsmarts Hackers on the Thai Web
- A dependable server in Thailand as well as 200+ in 63 other countries
- Multiple AES-256 encryption protocols with Perfect Forward Secrecy and a kill switch
- App for Mac, Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and more
- Use up to 10 Thai IP addresses simultaneously
- 30-day money-back guarantee policy
PrivateVPN’s Perfect Forward Secrecy gives you new encryption keys to outsmart hackers on every Thai IP address you use. Even if one were somehow compromised, it wouldn’t matter since you’d already be browsing the Thai web with a new one. In addition to this standout feature, PrivateVPN also protects your privacy and security on Thai IP addresses with:
- Stealth VPN mode — makes the connection look like regular traffic to get a Thai IP address even in places like the UAE with anti-VPN firewalls.
- Split tunneling — lets you access some sites with your Thai IP address and others with your usual IP address when you need to use location-dependent online services.
- Strict no-logs policy — ensures that none of your data is logged when you use an IP address in Thailand since the VPN doesn’t capture any of your information.
During my tests, PrivateVPN started in Simple Mode which let me connect to a server quickly without changing any settings. Its apps had similar features across platforms like Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. I could use a limit of 10 Thai IP addresses at once before I had to log out on one of my devices, which was always more than enough for me.
My speed tests proved that the VPN’s 1 server in Thailand was consistently fast for bandwidth-intensive apps like TikTok. That delivered a smooth performance on Netflix Thailand, with only 5 to 10 seconds of initial buffering before every horrifying moment of The Whole Truth played lag-free in UHD. PrivateVPN’s Thai server also accessed:
|Channel 7||Channel 3||Lao Star Channel||Mono 29|
|Netflix US & UK||Amazon Prime||BBC iPlayer||Disney+|
The only slight problem with PrivateVPN is its smaller network compared to others on this list like ExpressVPN. However, it didn’t stop it from being able to unblock streaming sites and apps. Plus, it costs less than the others on this list at just $2.00 a month for the 3-year plan. Its comparatively affordable short-term options also make it one of the best month-to-month VPNs.
Its plans are supported by a 30-day refund policy, so you can try PrivateVPN without any risk. I contacted customer support via live chat to request a refund, saying I decided on a different VPN. I had my money back in a week.
Get a Thai IP address with PrivateVPN
How Does a VPN Get a Thai IP Address?
A VPN with servers in Thailand re-routes your internet traffic through a local network instead of your usual one. This gives you a Thai IP address that can access local sites and apps from outside the country, such as your MUFG bank app, without setting off alerts.
In addition to unblocking local content, internet freedom in Thailand has declined with many sites blocked and surveillance becoming rampant. That’s why I also recommend using a VPN to protect yourself online from within Thailand, and a Thai IP address will be the fastest option.
Research Methodology: How I Tested the Best VPNs for a Thai IP Address
Even among the best VPNs in the industry, I only chose options that met these specific criteria during my tests:
- Servers in Thailand — to get a working Thai IP address, you need a VPN with at least 1 reliable virtual IP address or server in Thailand.
- Ability to access local content — even with local servers, not all VPNs can bypass blocks. Each one on this list was tested with services like Channel 7 and Mono 29.
- Fast speeds — while some VPNs can unblock content, slow speeds ruin the streaming experience. I ruled out VPNs that were too slow for lag-free streaming.
- Strong security and privacy — you want a VPN to keep your data secure and your identity hidden, especially in a country with heavy online surveillance. The VPNs on this list include advanced privacy and security features.
- Apps for popular devices — some VPNs don’t have apps for devices you use to access Thai apps. I only included VPNs compatible with all of the popular platforms.
- Customer support — technical issues are possible with even the best VPNs, so I eliminated those without fast and helpful customer support teams.
FAQs: Changing Your IP Address With a VPN
Are VPNs legal in Thailand?
Yes, VPNs are legal to use in Thailand. Some have been blocked by the Thai government but there’s no penalty for using one, including my picks for the best VPNs for getting a Thai IP address when you’re in the country. Online freedoms are much lower in Thailand than in many other places, and hacking is common — so it’s important to use VPN protection.
The country’s Computer-Related Crime Act gives authorities extensive powers to block sites and content. You can use a VPN to protect yourself from hackers and eavesdropping, but I don’t condone breaking the law in any country, violating copyright, bypassing censorship, or breaking the terms of service on apps.
Can I use a VPN to watch Thai TV channels from anywhere?
Yes, using a VPN to get a Thai IP address unblocks access to local TV channels from wherever you are. The best VPNs on the market have servers in Thailand that work with channels like Channel 7, Channel 3, Mono 29, Hollywood HDTV, Doonee, and lots more.
It’s also possible to use a VPN to access Thai content libraries on global streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It’s as easy as choosing a server in the necessary country. Just keep in mind that I don’t condone unblocking content you don’t have rightful access to, and violating terms on streaming services can get your account banned.
Can I use a proxy to get a Thai IP address instead of a VPN?
Some might technically work, but they’re not reliable. That’s why I recommend against using a proxy instead of a VPN to get a Thai IP address. Many proxies lack encryption, so your data is unprotected while you use them. Data logging is common, and some even track you online to sell your activity logs to advertisers.
Premium VPNs like the ones on this list prevent those risks and provide the fast speeds you need for UHD-quality video. Their advanced networks work with streaming sites around the world, whereas proxies are constantly getting blocked by filters or can’t get past location restrictions.
How do I check if my IP address has changed?
Use this IP address lookup tool to make sure your VPN is working. The page shows you your current IP address and digital location. It also says whether or not your connection is anonymous.
If your IP address hasn’t changed, try reconnecting. Another option is to restart the VPN entirely. If your real IP address is still exposed and you can’t figure out why, contact your VPN provider’s customer support team for help.
Are there dangers to using Thai IP addresses?
No, using a Thai IP address isn’t dangerous if you choose a VPN with the right criteria. However, using the internet in Thailand can have more risks than in other countries because surveillance is so common. Cybercrime is also an issue, with lots of hackers exploiting the country’s less-developed internet.
However, using the internet without a VPN anywhere can be risky. You have the right to stay safe online, but always obey the law whether you use a VPN or not. Using a VPN to commit or hide crimes (including copyright infringement) will get you prosecuted. I don’t condone it.
Which websites and apps are blocked in Thailand?
Thailand blocks content critical of the government along with anything it considers violent, pornographic, or promoting gambling. A Thai IP address can unblock content, but it won’t allow access to sites that are blocked within Thai borders.
There‘s no official list of banned sites in Thailand, and it can change without notice. However, notable sites that have been blocked include the UK’s Daily Mail and certain pages on BBC and CNN.
Can I use a free VPN to get a Thai IP address?
No, even if they have servers in Thailand you can expect constant interruptions and other issues. While there are some solid and safe free VPNs, there are huge drawbacks. They play annoying ads, throttle speeds, and have data limits too small to watch movies or play online games. The worst free VPNs even log your browsing data and sell it to advertisers or install malware on your devices.
Most lack the more advanced security features of premium VPNs to keep you safe on Thai IP addresses, and many can’t bypass geoblocks to unblock streaming content. If you want to use a secure, fast VPN without spending money, you can use a top VPN like CyberGhost for free by claiming a refund before 45 days have passed on your plan.
Get a free Thai IP address with CyberGhost
Access Thai Content With a VPN Now
It’s frustrating to lose access to your bank account, streaming services, and other apps while you’re outside of Thailand. A Thai IP address will give you back rightful access, but most VPNs aren’t powerful enough to give you a Thai IP address that works well. Others can’t keep your connection safe and anonymous, leaking your data to marketers and cyber thieves.
Every VPN on this list had multiple IP addresses in Thailand, but ExpressVPN is the best for unblocking lag-free Thai content. My tests showed it has super-fast speeds and keeps your data secure with fully-audited privacy features and proprietary security technology. Plus, ExpressVPN includes a generous 30-day money-back guarantee backing every plan, so you can buy it with no risk.