3 Best VPNs for South Africa (Updated Local Servers 2021)
After I tested about 40 VPNs, I found very few that actually work to unblock content in South Africa from abroad. Many review sites have false information listing VPNs that don’t have any local servers. Don’t waste your money on a VPN that doesn’t actually work!
I shortlisted the best VPNs for South Africa with fully working servers that can bypass geoblocks on local websites, like DStv, Showmax, and Netflix South Africa. ExpressVPN was the clear winner with the most reliable local servers and the fastest speeds. It’s backed by a 30 money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN without any risk. If you’re not satisfied, you can request a refund within 30 days.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs for South Africa
- ExpressVPN — Trustworthy encryption keeps your personal information safe.
- CyberGhost — The only VPN that can unblock Showmax from abroad, but lags with multiple devices and doesn’t work with Netflix in South Africa.
- IPVanish — Great for watching shows on Kodi add-ons than other VPNs, but it can’t access Netflix or Showmax at all.
3 Best VPNs for South Africa — Updated June 2021
- 1 secure server in South Africa to access restricted content
- Military-grade encryption protects your identity while you access your local bank online
- Torrent support enables anonymous file sharing
- 5 simultaneous device connections for multiple users at once
- 30-day money-back guarantee
You won’t need to worry about government monitoring in South Africa with ExpressVPN’s reliable security features. Its TrustedServer technology and no-logs never records any of your connection activities. This means you don’t have to worry about your information accidentally leaking to the authorities.
The Perfect Forward Secrecy feature gives you a new and unique password each time you connect. This ensures your safety and provides you with an extra layer of verification that only you will have access to. I felt assured that ExpressVPN protected my sensitive data while I accessed my Capitec bank account from abroad.
When I ran a DNS leak test on ExpressVPN’s local server, my real location was hidden with a local IP address in South Africa. This means that your data remains anonymous.
Even though ExpressVPN’s server in South Africa couldn’t access the local Netflix library, it could easily unblock Netflix US. I connected to ExpressVPN’s Los Angeles-3 server and started streaming American Vandal within 3 seconds — my speeds were fast enough to watch in HD with minimal lag.
If you’re still not ready to subscribe, you can try ExpressVPN for free with its 30-day money-back guarantee to see if it’s the right VPN for you. I tested ExpressVPN for 15 days and requested a refund through live chat. This was the only VPN on the list that immediately processed my refund with no questions asked! I had my money back in my account within 5 days.
ExpressVPN unblocks: DStv, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, HBO GO, and more.
ExpressVPN works with: iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and more.
- 10 servers in South Africa to get past blocked sites
- Easily unblocks Showmax from anywhere
- Torrent support for sharing and downloading video, applications, and other files
- 7 simultaneous device connections to use at once
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost is the only VPN on this list that unblocks Showmax from outside South Africa. After connecting to CyberGhost’s server in South Africa, I was able to watch Black Tax after only a few seconds of buffering. After the stream loaded, I didn’t experience any further lagging.
Unfortunately, CyberGhost can’t get past strict geoblocks for Netflix South Africa. However, you’ll have access to the most popular shows and movies on the streaming service by switching to a US or UK server. The provider will even give you access to the biggest global content libraries.
You can automatically connect to the fastest CyberGhost server when you double-click on a country. When I tested its 10 servers in South Africa, I was able to easily connect to each of them within a few seconds. The only issue I had was speed — when I tried watching Showmax in HD on two simultaneous devices (PC and Android), I experienced some lag. While I was able to watch on my PC immediately, I had to wait a minute for my phone to load The Cost before it started streaming.
If you aren’t sure if the service is right for you, CyberGhost offers a money-back guarantee for 45 days. It only takes a few minutes before a live chat agent processes your request. I tried the service for 30 days before requesting a refund. After answering a few questions about why I wanted to cancel, I got my money back within the week.
CyberGhost unblocks: Netflix, Showmax, Amazon Prime Video, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, and more.
CyberGhost works with: iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- 6 servers in South Africa to unblock internet restrictions
- Bypass geoblocks for Kodi add-ons like DStv and Adult Swim without any issue
- Torrent support for downloading and uploading videos, software, and music
- 10 simultaneous device connections allow more users at the same time
- 7-day money-back guarantee to try risk-free
IPVanish is the best choice to access more content on Kodi than any other VPN on this list. Add-ons like Adult Swim and DStv are blocked abroad, but IPVanish was able to successfully access Rick and Morty and Real Housewives of Johannesburg with no issues.
When I tested each of IPVanish’s 6 servers in South Africa, I had a minute of buffering before it streamed smoothly. You’ll have fast enough speeds to watch in HD with its local servers.
The biggest drawback is that IPVanish can’t get around any of the geoblocks for Netflix and Showmax. However, you can watch plenty of options with Kodi and SlingTV.
You can try IPVanish for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. This gives you plenty of time to test the provider and decide if it’s the best VPN for you.
IPVanish VPN unblocks: Skype, Spotify, and SlingTV.
IPVanish works with: iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, and Chrome.
VPNs to Avoid for South Africa
I found some VPNs with servers in South Africa during testing, but they don’t keep you safe or anonymous. Many providers use IP addresses that are blocked by popular South African websites, so you can’t use them to stream videos or log into your local bank account. Even worse — others can collect your data, sell it to make a profit, and share it with the authorities upon request.
It’s important to make sure you get a VPN with servers that can unblock popular websites and provide a reliable no-logs policy to keep your data private. In no particular order, I’ve listed the VPNs you need to avoid:
You might be tempted (as I was) by Hotspot Shield’s free version’s super fast server in South Africa. Unfortunately, it was caught by a pro-privacy group, the Center for Democracy and Technology, for installing tracker cookies that collect your browsing history and IP address. It then sells your data to advertisers. When you use Hotspot Shield’s free version, none of your data is kept private.
To make matters worse, Hotspot Shield was investigated by US authorities in 2017. It was accused of monitoring web traffic and redirecting its users to advertising partner websites. Then it was believed to earn commissions on its users’ online purchases from those sites. Until Hotspot Shield can explain these controversies, I don’t recommend it for South Africa.
With a friendly-sounding name like HolaVPN, you might be surprised that this provider was caught stealing user bandwidth and selling it to premium users. When you connect to a free HolaVPN server, its sister company Luminati gets full access to your device while you’re connected. It then sells that access to anyone willing to pay for it.
Not only does this expose your personal data, but it enables hackers to hijack your device and get involved in cybercrime. This is not only a major safety issue, but it’s a legal problem as well. If your computer is used for criminal activity, you could be charged and arrested.
Betternet is a good example that having millions of users doesn’t make it a good VPN. When you install Betternet onto your device, you unknowingly download malware that tracks everything you do online.
Some of your data might be sold to advertisers, but it can also get in the hands of hackers, governments, or any other interested parties. Betternet’s website actually claims that it will protect you from malware. However, it tricks you into installing malware so it can sell your information to the highest bidder.
How to Get an IP Address in South Africa in 3 Easy Steps
- Download and launch your VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for the t servers in South Africa, so you can always find one that works with local sites. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free with the 30 money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server in South Africa. Look for “South Africa” in the server list and double-click.
- Start browsing with an IP address in South Africa! You’ll get access to local content from anywhere.
Tech Tip — How to Check Your IP Address
You can check that your device has an IP address in South Africa by using this free online IP tool.
How a VPN Gets You an IP Address in South Africa
A VPN gives you a secure and anonymous way to connect to the internet by using a special server — protected by encryption technology — as a secret tunnel. This hides your location, identity, and online activities from third-parties (like governments and internet providers). Then no one can see your online activities when you browse the web.
When you connect to a VPN server, your web traffic is sent through an alternate IP address. This makes it impossible for anyone to link your identity to your online activities. When you connect to a VPN’s server in South Africa, you’re tricking websites into thinking you’re in the country. Then you can bypass blocks to stream local content and bank online from anywhere. Additionally, your data stays protected from government surveillance, snooping internet providers, and even hotel IT staff.
Why You Need an IP Address in South Africa
- Stream South African TV and movies from abroad with DStv, Netflix, and Showmax.
- Log into your South African bank from abroad without setting off your bank’s fraud detection system.
- Access region-specific content platforms like local news and sporting events to stay updated from anywhere in the world.
- Be anonymous online and avoid government monitoring.
How to Choose the Best VPN for South Africa
With so many VPNs on the market, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the options. You can narrow down your search by looking for these key features:
- Bypasses geoblocks: You need to be able to get around location restrictions on your favorite local streaming sites.
- Multiple servers in South Africa: You’ll need alternatives to make sure you have at least 1 server that can unblock local sites.
- High speeds: Fast speeds are important when streaming on DStv or video chatting with friends with minimum buffering.
- Reliable security: Advanced security features are essential for protecting your personal information, especially when accessing your Capitec account or other financial services.
FAQs: Unblock Sites in South Africa With a VPN
❓ Are VPNs legal in South Africa?
Yes, VPNs are completely legal to use in South Africa. It’s not illegal for you to unblock restricted streaming content in the country. However, if you use the service for criminal purposes, you can get in trouble with the local law. As long as you avoid engaging in illicit activities, you’ll have no issues using your VPN in South Africa.
🎥 Is it possible to watch Disney+ with a VPN in South Africa?
Yes, every VPN on this list works with Disney+! Since Disney+ isn’t available yet in South Africa, you just have to connect to a server in a country where it works. I recommend that you try ExpressVPN’s US servers for the most reliable connection to unblock the most Disney shows and movies in the world.
💰 Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address in South Africa?
Unfortunately, no. Although there are some decent free VPNs available, none of them have reliable servers in South Africa. Additionally, most free services sell your data and track your online activity. They also have much slower speeds and your bandwidth will be limited.
All of the premium VPNs on this list offer money-back guarantees, so you can try their features risk-free. I went through the refund process for each of them and can confirm that there are no tricks. For example, you can use CyberGhost’s money-back guarantee and easily get a refund within 45 days. This gives you a risk-free way to try its local servers and features before subscribing.
How to Save on VPNs for South Africa
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to securely browse with an IP address in South Africa. Premium VPNs keep your data protected and give you access to all of the local services you need. I did some research and found these hidden discount pages to save you money on all of the recommended VPNs with servers in South Africa.
Find more savings on your VPN!
- Use this hidden deal to get CyberGhost’s 3-year plan for only $2.75 a month!
- Check this page to get IPVanish for $6.49 a month for a 1-year plan.