Evernote is the most complete note-taking application that I’ve tested for both mobile and desktop devices. The free version comes with a lot of great features that will help you organize your life. Additionally, the notes will sync from your browser to your smartphone/tablet, so you won’t have to worry about losing some important information.
How to Download Evernote in 3 Easy Steps
- Click on the Download button on the sidebar.
- Evernote will automatically download on your computer.
- Double click on the downloaded file and run the installer.
When Evernote completes the installation you will need to create an account or log in to your existing account to get started.
How to Uninstall Evernote from Windows
If you find that Evernote is lacking in some features you need, check out my list of free alternatives below. Follow the instructions to completely remove Evernote from your computer.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar.
- Scroll down the list until you find Evernote and then click Uninstall
- Give the uninstaller permission to make changes to your system, and it will completely remove Evernote from your computer.
While the free version of Evernote is limited in terms of number connected devices (2) and monthly upload limit (60MB), it’s still one of the best note-taking programs available. Some of the features are:
- Full library of formatting tools
- Create to-do lists with checkboxes and reminders
- Record audio notes
- Insert screenshots or web clippings
- Leave comments on images
- Add attachments
Get Organized with Evernote
Evernote has a few tools that will help you stay organized, even as your list of notebooks, notes, and web clippings grow. With each note you create, you can add tags that will make it easier to group and find the relevant notes later on. Additionally, Evernote comes with a powerful search engine that not only can search for text inside notes but can also recognize handwritten notes that you upload as an attachment and text found in images.
Powerful Browser Extension
I found the Evernote browser extension to be an excellent tool for clipping and saving web sites. It has 5 options:
- Article: Copies the entire article and saves it exactly how it appears on the website.
- Simplified Article: Much of the formatting from the page is removed, and an easier-to-read format is saved instead.
- Full Page: This option saves the entire page, including the layout and formatting.
- Bookmark: Save the URL, a snippet of the text, and automated thumbnail.
- Screenshot: Select any portion of the page and take a screenshot.
After you clip the website, you’ll have the option of saving the clip to an existing notebook or creating a new one.
Free Alternatives to Evernote
- Microsoft OneNote: A feature-rich note-taking program, OneNote comes with every free Microsoft account. Organize your thoughts by creating notes, and enhance them with audio recordings, images, attachments, and more to your notes. It includes a web-clipper tool that allows you to quickly insert screenshots or save websites to your notebook.
- Todoist: An excellent organizational tool that can be used to organize your projects and create to-do lists. With a free Todoist account, you can create multiple lists and notes and sync them across all your devices. Assign due dates and priorities to ensure that your tasks don’t get lost. With each task you complete on time, you will earn Karma points that can be used to compete against other people in your family or organization.
❓Is Evernote Secure?
Instead of using its own data center, all notes are stored in the Google Cloud. This provides 256-bit AES encryption, and while the files are being transferred to the cloud they are protected with TLS encryption. The encryption isn’t end-to-end as the files all revert to plain text once they arrive in the Google Cloud.
Overall, the security is pretty good, but not perfect. I’d recommend using a VPN, especially if you’re using Evernote on a public wifi network. Our experts ranked the best VPNs, all of which will increase your Evernote security.
💰What are the benefits of purchasing a subscription to Evernote?
Over the past few years, the free version of Evernote has become more and more basic. It seems like every feature is blocked behind a paywall. When you upgrade to a paid plan you will have the benefits of additional storage space, unlimited connected devices, live chat and email customer support, integration with business tools like slack, salesforce, and Microsoft Teams. There are also many features, like creating presentations, AI suggested content, and sharing options that are only available with a premium account.Visit Evernote Website