How to Watch Crunchyroll From Anywhere – Fully Tested in 2023
Crunchyroll is my go-to for all things anime and for watching shows like One Piece, To Your Eternity, and My Hero Academia. But when I’m traveling to countries where Crunchyroll is restricted, I miss most of my favorite anime content because I’m unable to access my account. In addition, the US libraries have the most number of shows, and connecting to the US content library lets you enjoy your subscription fully. But when I’m traveling outside of the US, I can’t access the US libraries due to geo-restrictions, although I’m continuing to pay for my Crunchyroll subscription.
To ensure optimal utilization of your Crunchyroll subscription while traveling, the recommended solution is to acquire a VPN. By employing a VPN, you can assign yourself a simulated IP address from a country such as the US, where the majority of content is accessible. This will grant you uninterrupted access to all your beloved anime and manga content on Crunchyroll, without encountering any hindrances.
I tested 15 VPNs to find the best VPN that could not only unblock Crunchyroll but also allow for seamless viewing. ExpressVPN had the best network for watching Crunchyroll and my favorite anime shows were always of great video quality. You can try ExpressVPN completely risk-free because it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee―if you’re not satisfied, you can get a full refund.
Quick Guide: 3 Steps to Watch Crunchyroll From Abroad
- Get a VPN. After testing 15 VPNs, I found that ExpressVPN gave the best speeds with zero lag to watch Crunchyroll. As it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it with Cruncyhyroll for yourself worry-free.
- Connect to a server in the US. Since you already pay for the Crunchyroll subscription, connecting to a US server will let you enjoy all your favorite content when you’re traveling.
- Start watching Crunchyroll! You’ll have immediate access to devour all your favorite anime and manga content.
How a VPN Can Help You Watch Crunchyroll in 2023
At Crunchyroll, the anime libraries are categorized according to different countries, and each library offers distinct content. This distinction arises because Crunchyroll abides by copyright laws and licensing agreements, which necessitate certain content restrictions based on location. This practice, known as geo-blocking, ensures compliance with legal obligations. Additionally, if you happen to travel to restricted regions such as China, France, Japan, Italy, or Germany, accessing any content or utilizing your Crunchyroll subscription becomes unavailable.
A VPN assigns you a new IP address based on the country of the server that you connect to. This way, your true location remains anonymous and you can access your Crunchyroll account in seconds.
ExpressVPN’s super-fast servers let you watch Crunchyroll’s anime and manga content lag-free. Luckily, it offers a reliable “no questions asked” money-back guarantee so you can try its reliable servers to unblock Crunchyroll for yourself and get a full refund if you’re no longer interested.
Note: Although watching Crunchyroll via a VPN does not violate Terms & Conditions, you may be doing so by watching content that’s restricted to your current location or using a VPN to watch content in a country that restricts Crunchyroll altogether. Please read through Crunchyroll Terms & Conditions before connecting to a VPN.
The Best VPNs to Watch Crunchyroll in 2023
- Watch Crunchyroll content from anywhere with over 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Lightning-fast speeds to watch anime with zero buffering
- Connect up to 5 devices at a time
- 24/7 support via live chat to help you with any streaming issues
- 30-day money back guarantee
ExpressVPN has thousands of servers around the world. Therefore, there is little chance for any of the servers to get overloaded by users, causing buffers or lags. While watching Crunchyroll, I experienced fast speeds of around 90Mbps with ExpressVPN (only 5Mbps slower than my base speed!). I connected to a US server in under 5 seconds and successfully unblocked my Crunchyroll account. I watched all my favorite anime shows without any lags or buffering.
When I wanted to connect to the best server in the US, I didn’t have to waste time looking for one. ExpressVPN automatically recommended the best server for my location, letting me spend more time enjoying anime on Crunchyroll.
ExpressVPN uses top-shelf security features such as military-grade encryption and leak protection. This means that your location will consistently be hidden from Crunchyroll location detectors. None of the geo-restricted anime shows I watched while testing ExpressVPN were blocked due to location restriction popups.
But you don’t have to take my word for it. You can try ExpressVPN out for yourself and if you’re not satisfied, you have up to 30 days to get a full refund. To test the refund process for you, I reached out to ask for a refund via live chat. I loved that I didn’t even have to give a reason for canceling, and the support agent immediately complied with my request. I had the money back in my account within 3 days.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO NOW, RTE, Disney+, Peacock, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Vudu, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Raspberry Pi, and more.
- 9,600 servers in 91 countries that let you unblock geo-restricted Crunchyroll shows from anywhere
- Fast speeds for buffer-free anime on Crunchyroll
- Connect up to 7 simultaneous devices
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost was the easiest and most intuitive VPN to set up and use. Within a few seconds, I was ready to start watching geo-restricted Crunchyroll content from the US library. I experienced an average speed of 50Mbps while watching anime shows, and there were no awkward lags or buffering.
I could also choose the server I wanted to connect to based on ping, load, and distance. Ping is how long the device takes to communicate with the server, so the lower the ping, the better. I chose a few servers in the US with low ping, distance, and load for better performance. All servers I selected let me watch Crunchyroll with excellent video quality and speed.
Alternatively, I was also able to simply choose the server optimized for streaming Crunchyroll. This alternative also resulted in lag-free anime streaming.
Cyberghost contains the latest security features like military-grade encryption, leak protection, and advanced VPN protocols. These features allowed CyberGhost to consistently block Crunchyroll servers from detecting my location.
I tested CyberGhost’s 45-day money-back guarantee by requesting a refund after using CyberGhost for a few days. When they asked me for a reason for the cancellation, I told them I didn’t like the interface. The request was processed, and I had all of my money back in 4 days. Try CyberGhost for yourself at zero risk.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO NOW, Disney+, Peacock, and more.
CyberGhost works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Firefox, and more.
- Unblock Crunchyroll’s geo-restricted content with 35,000 servers in over 84 countries
- Fast speeds with reliable service to watch all your favorite anime content
- Use PIA on 10 devices at the same time
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) successfully connected me to a US server, and I was able to seamlessly watch all US content, although I wasn’t in the US at the time. When trying to connect to servers, I could simply pick the country and region that I wanted to simulate, and PIA chose the best server for me. I saw average speeds of 30Mbps throughout all my favorite anime shows, with no lags or buffering.
Like other VPNs on this list, PIA also uses military-grade AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) and other standard security features. This allowed me to watch Crunchyroll by bypassing geo-restrictions consistently.
PIA also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try PIA with no commitment. I tested the refund policy over live chat, and the agent processed my request as soon as I told them why I wanted to cancel. I was fully refunded in 3 days.
PIA also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO NOW, Disney+, and more.
PIA works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Firefox, and more.
FAQs on Watching Crunchyroll With a VPN
Can I watch Crunchyroll for free?
What devices can I watch Crunchyroll on?
Crunchyroll is supported on many devices and operating systems. The good news is that the best VPNs to unblock Crunchyroll from abroad are also compatible with many of these devices:
- Phones: iPhone, Android phones, Windows phone
- Streaming devices: Chromecast, Roku
- Smart TVs: Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
- Gaming Consoles: Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Xbox 360, WII U (Nintendo)
With its super-fast speed and international servers, I would recommend using ExpressVPN if you want to watch Crunchyroll on any of these devices. You can test ExpressVPN out completely risk-free as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can always get a refund if you’re not satisfied.
Can I get banned from Crunchyroll for using a VPN?
Although using a VPN does not violate Crunchyroll terms and conditions, you may be doing so by viewing anime content that’s not allowed in your current location. In fact, a few users have gotten banned by Crunchyroll for using a VPN. This happens when Crunchyroll servers detect your true location and identify that you’re using a VPN to trick Crunchyroll ― something that never happened when I used the VPNs with advanced security features on this list.
To save all this hassle, I recommend starting with a reliable and safe VPN like ExpressVPN, so your experience of watching Crunchyroll will be as easy as mine was. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days and check it out for yourself.
Can I download episodes on Crunchyroll?
What other uses does my VPN have?
- Watch exclusive content on many other platforms: In addition to Crunchyroll, VPNs can unlock exclusive content from many streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, RTE, BBC iPlayer, HBO, YouTube TV, and much more. Just download a VPN and connect to a server that hosts the geo-blocked content that you want to watch.
- Protect yourself and your devices from cybercrimes: VPNs encrypt your IP address and location, hiding them from cybercriminals. This makes it near impossible for hackers to track your devices and steal your personal or financial information.
- Share files anonymously: With a VPN, you can safely and anonymously download content on P2P file-sharing and torrent sites.
Control speed throttling: Some governments, internet providers, and landlords throttle your internet speeds for various reasons. But a VPN lets you bypass these restrictions, allowing you to have the best streaming experience possible.
- Bypass government censorship: If you travel to a country like China with high censorship of internet activities, powerful VPNs like ExpressVPN can help you overcome internet firewalls in China and other restrictive countries, letting you watch Crunchyroll and other streaming services freely.
Start Watching Crunchyroll From Anywhere Today!
For those who appreciate anime and manga (and really, who doesn’t?), the prospect of overlooking geo-restricted content on Crunchyroll is far from ideal. Given that the US collection boasts the most extensive content, fully utilizing your Crunchyroll subscription while outside the country becomes a challenge. The remedy involves acquiring a VPN that enables you to replicate a different location, thus granting access to the otherwise locked geo-restricted content on Crunchyroll.
ExpressVPN’s lightning-fast speeds gave me a reliable streaming experience to watch Crunchyroll with no interruptions. That’s why it’s my top choice for watching Crunchyroll from anywhere. If you’re still not ready to jump all in, you can test ExpressVPN for yourself risk-free. If you don’t feel it’s right for you, you can get a full refund within the 30-day money-back period