How to Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story on Disney+ in 2020Last Updated by Lucca RF on July 08, 2020
With a Disney+ membership, you can watch Solo and every other Star Wars movie (and TV show) — past, present, and future! However, if you’re not in a country with Disney+ support (like the US, Germany, or Australia), you’ll be blocked from accessing the platform and get this annoying error message:
Fortunately, you can trick the service into thinking you’re in a supported country and unblock Disney+ from anywhere with a VPN.
To find out which VPNs offer the best overall streaming experience, I tested over 15 providers with Disney+ and shortlisted the top 5 on this page. If you want a quick recommendation, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for watching Solo on Disney+ with no buffering.
You don’t even have to commit to a plan to watch Solo! ExpressVPN offers a money-back guarantee so you can use it for free for 30 days before requesting your refund! With the “no questions asked” refund policy, it took me less than 3 minutes to make the request and I got my money back in 3 days.
3 Steps to Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story on Disney Plus
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN has super quick loading times and fast speeds for high resolution Disney+ streams.
- Connect to a server in a supported Disney+ country. I chose a UK server as it’s the closest one to me.
- Start watching Solo! Just log in to Disney+ with your account information — easy.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story From Anywhere
Due to licensing agreements, Disney+ blocks you if you’re outside of its supported countries. A VPN changes your IP address (a digital identifier that contains location information) and tricks the streaming platform into thinking you’re in a country with Disney+ access. Then you can access any Star Wars content from anywhere in the world.
Fortunately, all of the VPNs on this list offer at least 30 days to get a full refund. By combining this with Disney+ 7-day free trial, you can watch Solo: A Star Wars Story and any hundreds of other titles before getting your money back in full!
Quick Guide: Best VPNs for Disney Plus
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN for watching Solo: A Star Wars Story with no buffering and reliable, high-quality streaming. You can try it for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee!
- NordVPN — Fast speeds for streaming in the highest possible resolution without interrupting your browsing or downloads, but doesn’t have a PayPal payment option for a faster refund.
- CyberGhost — Reliable HD streams, but only one streaming server optimized for Disney+ (in the US).
- Surfshark — Streams Disney+ on an unlimited number of devices, but the Netherlands server didn’t work during my tests.
- PrivateVPN — Supports 5 Disney+ catalogs, but has the smallest server network on this list (which can get crowded and slow down speeds).
5 Best VPNs to Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story on Disney Plus in July 2020
- 3,000+ servers worldwide — 30+ server locations in Disney+ countries
- Instantly watch Disney+ content without buffering or throttling
- Unlimited bandwidth servers for uninterrupted streaming
- Connect up to 5 devices at once
- 24/7 email and live chat support
While testing ExpressVPN, I was impressed that all Disney+ content loaded in under 2 seconds — even instantly most of the time! This means you’ll have more time to watch your favorite Star Wars content instead of staring at the Disney logo while it’s buffering. When I tested the nearby Docklands and The Hague servers, both loaded right away. Even the farthest server from me in New York took just 2 seconds! I watched Solo from start to finish without an issue and had no lag for the rest of the movie.
With ExpressVPN’s high speeds, you can stream in high quality without affecting your other browsing or downloading activities. The UK and Netherlands servers averaged 80Mbps, while the US servers offered half this speed during my tests. Disney+ requires a minimum 5Mbps download speed for HD content and 25Mbps for 4K, so you can easily watch with the highest resolutions.
ExpressVPN officially supports Disney+ US, UK, Canada, Netherlands, and Australia! With these locations, you should always have a high-performance server relatively nearby. I was able to connect to all the European, North American, Indian, and Australian servers in under 5 seconds.
You’re able to watch streaming content on up to 5 devices at once with ExpressVPN — ideal for sharing. While Disney+ only supports streaming on 2 simultaneous devices, those you’re sharing with can still stream from any other supported service! This works on all supported devices, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and several more.
You can try ExpressVPN to instantly load your Disney+ streams for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I wanted to check if this policy was true, so I used the service for 2 weeks before requesting a refund through the live chat. The agent didn’t waste my time trying to convince me to stay (in line with the no-questions-asked policy). The hassle-free conversation took just 5 minutes. After the agent approved my refund, I had the money back in my account in 5 days. If you paid with PayPal, you can get your money back within a few hours!
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, SHOWTIME, Vudu, Sling TV, HBO NOW, DC Universe, AT&T TV, and more
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Kodi, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, various smart TVs, select routers, and more
- 5,500+ global servers — 25+ server locations in the Disney+ service area
- SmartPlay feature consistently unblocks Disney+
- No data caps for unlimited streaming
- Connect up to 6 devices at the same time
- 24/7 customer support through live chat or email
NordVPN’s blazing-fast speeds make it one of the best VPNs for watching Solo: A Star Wars Story and all other Disney+ content. When I tested 8 servers in Europe and North America, speeds never fell below 180Mbps — 7x the speed needed for 4K streaming! I used servers UK #1857, #1541, #1230, Netherlands #693 and #577, Canada #798, and US #5524 and #4724 — they all delivered high-quality streams and reliable connections.
I was thrilled by NordVPN’s quick buffering times and impressive streaming quality. While it wasn’t quite as fast as ExpressVPN, there was hardly a difference since all the videos loaded in under 5 seconds. This was the same for movies including Solo: A Star Wars Story alongside series like The Mandalorian — you can get your Star Wars fix without having to wait for buffering!
NordVPN’s integrated SmartPlay technology helps consistently unblock Disney+ and other streaming services from anywhere. It replaces your real IP and DNS addresses (which can identify your current location) with a temporary one in a supported Disney+ country. Streaming platforms have trouble blocking NordVPN’s regularly updated servers, making it one of the most reliable providers to access your favorite Disney+ content with! You can also unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video without any issues.
You can check out NordVPN’s high-quality Disney+ streaming for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. To test if the policy is legitimate, I tried NordVPN’s features for 3 weeks and contacted customer support to cancel my subscription. They asked me if I had any problems using the service. After telling them that I simply wanted to cancel, they immediately approved the refund. Since PayPal wasn’t a payment option, I wasn’t able to get my money back any faster. However, this wasn’t a big deal since I got my refund within the same week and the total process only took 5 minutes.
NordVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, SHOWTIME, Sling TV, HBO NOW, DC Universe, AT&T TV, and more
NordVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Kodi, Android TV, Fire TV, select routers, and more
- 6,500+ global servers — 1 dedicated server with Disney+ support
- Optimized Disney+ US streaming server for reliable high-quality streaming
- No bandwidth limits for endless Star Wars marathons
- Connect up to 7 devices simultaneously
- Live chat available 24/7
CyberGhost has a dedicated server for Disney+ US to automatically help you reliably unblock Solo. This saved me a lot of time from checking if individual servers unblocked Disney+. While CyberGhost currently only offers one Disney+ server, a customer support representative told me that more supported countries will be added soon.
While CyberGhost only has one optimized server for Disney+, you can try its many other dedicated servers to unblock Netflix, Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and several more! These give you the quickest and most reliable access to each streaming service.
I still had fast speeds while testing a non-optimized US server (145Mbps), while the slowest server I tested (Canada) still reached 130Mbps! Although these speeds aren’t as fast as those of the top 2 VPNs, this allows you to watch with the highest streaming quality that your device can support. When I tested the regular US server while watching Solo, the quality was slightly grainy for 15 seconds before it became full HD for the rest of the movie.
You can try CyberGhost’s optimized streaming servers for free for 45 days with its money-back guarantee — the longest refund policy on this list! I’ve tested this by using the service for a month before I requested a refund through the 24/7 live chat. The agent tried to troubleshoot any issues, but didn’t push me to stay. Then my refund was confirmed and I had the money back within 7 days!
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, SHOWTIME, DAZN, HBO NOW, Vudu, Sling TV, and more
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Kodi, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more
- 1,700+ servers worldwide — 5 servers with Disney+ support
- Connect unlimited devices on a single subscription
- No bandwidth limits for endless streaming
- Multiple devices streaming Disney+ won’t slow down speeds
- 24/7 support through live chat or email
Surfshark allows you to watch Disney+ and several other streaming services on unlimited devices at once! This means you can share a single subscription with your family or friends. While Disney+ only allows 4 simultaneous streams under 1 subscription, Surfshark can unblock Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video at the same time. When I tested watching multiple streaming platforms on 8 devices simultaneously, I had high-quality videos on each without interruption! Disney+ also allows you to download content for offline viewing on up to 10 devices, so you can watch even when you don’t have WiFi.
I was only able to get the Disney+ US to work with Surfshark during testing. I wasn’t able to watch Solo with the Netherlands server since it kept redirecting to the US catalog.
Even though Surfshark’s loading speeds weren’t as fast as ExpressVPN’s, it came in a close second — capable of high-resolution streaming without slowing your connection. I watched Disney+ with minimal buffering in full HD and zero interruptions after the stream began.
You can check out Surfshark’s unlimited device connections for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. The refund process was super fast and took me less than 5 minutes with the 24/7 live chat service. Since I paid with PayPal, the money was immediately back in my account within a few hours.
Surfshark also unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, Hotstar, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, DAZN, HBO NOW, DC Universe, and more
Surfshark works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Kodi, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more
- 150+ global servers — 6 server locations in Disney+ countries
- Minimal buffering while watching Disney+
- No bandwidth limits for endless streaming
- Up to 6 simultaneous devices connections
- Live chat or support ticket for assistance
PrivateVPN’s support for multiple Disney+ countries makes it a great choice for watching Solo. You can unblock Disney+ content from the US, UK, Netherlands, Italy, and Ireland. When I tested the London and Netherlands servers, I was impressed by the reliable connections and high-quality streams.
When I tested watching Solo: A Star Wars Story, The Mandalorian, and Rogue One, they each only buffered for up to 3 seconds despite my distance from the servers. This is an impressive speed, especially with the US as the farthest from me (although still not as fast as ExpressVPN).
As the VPN with the smallest server network on this list, I was worried that PrivateVPN might not perform as well as the others. However, I had extremely stable connections every time I tried to watch Disney+.
You can try PrivateVPN’s Disney+ servers for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I’ve tested this myself by submitting a refund request through a support ticket (since this isn’t possible through live chat). A few hours later, I received an email asking why I wanted to leave. I briefly replied that some of the devices I use aren’t supported. After 3 days, they processed my refund. I had the money back in my account in just 1 day!
PrivateVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, SHOWTIME, DAZN, HBO NOW, DC Universe, and more
PrivateVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Kodi, Fire TV, Galaxy Tab, select routers, and more
Can I Use Free VPNs to Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story?
It’s possible, but I don’t recommend them for watching Disney+ (or really anything else). I tested some of the best free VPNs available and many free providers:
- Can’t unblock Disney+ or any other streaming services.
- Reduce your internet speed and bandwidth, leading to interruption or lag while streaming.
- Force unwanted ads on webpages you visit.
- Sell your bandwidth to premium users without your consent.
- Compromise your privacy by selling your data to advertisers or the government.
You can avoid all of these unnecessary risks by getting a premium VPN. While Surfshark is the most affordable VPN that supports unlimited devices, ExpressVPN is the best overall VPN for the most reliable connection to Disney+, no buffering, and fast speeds. You can also try it risk-free for 30 days! When I tested ExpressVPN’s refund process, I was happy that it only took 5 minutes through the 24/7 live chat. Then the money was back in my account 5 days later.
FAQs on Watching Solo: A Star Wars Story With a VPN
💡 Can a VPN do more than help me watch Solo: A Star Wars Story?
Yes, a VPN can do much more than allow you to watch Solo: A Star Wars Story from anywhere. When connected to a VPN, you can:
- Unblock streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video to watch restricted content from around the world.
- Keep your devices and personal data secure. A VPN’s secure encryption keeps you safe on unprotected networks and hides your data from leaking to hackers and other malicious groups.
- Torrent safely and without being tracked online. By replacing your normal IP and DNS addresses, a VPN lets you anonymously download.
💻 What other Star Wars shows and movies are on Disney Plus?
Star Wars movies: You have access to the Prequel and Original trilogy, the newer Skywalker Saga, and the Anthology movies Solo: A Star Wars Story and Rogue One.
Live-action Star Wars series: I recommend that you check out how to watch The Mandalorian, which is currently the only live-action series on Disney+. It’s set between Episodes VI and VII and follows an intergalactic bounty hunter as he travels the universe (and meets “Baby Yoda” along the way!).
Animated Star Wars series: Star Wars: The Clone Wars (between movies Episode II and III) and Star Wars Rebels (between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy), Star Wars Resistance (before and during the events of the sequel trilogy), and Star Wars: Forces of Destiny (across multiple Star Wars eras). You’ll also find the Lego Star Wars episodes, which kids and kids at heart will love!
Besides Star Wars, Disney offers a lot more content. This includes almost all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe — Infinity War will be added later this year and Loki will be launched within the next year. You’ll also have access to beautifully animated and family-friendly movies from Pixar, such as WALL-E and the Toy Story series.
You can also subscribe to a Disney+ bundle, which gives you additional services for a more cost-effective overall plan. One of my favorites is the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu bundle. It gives you access to content on Disney, ESPN+ sports (both live and archived), and Hulu. While bundle is only available in the US, you can easily connect to a US server before creating your account.
🔍 How can I sign up to watch Disney Plus from anywhere?
- Download and open a VPN that can unblock Disney+. ExpressVPN is my top choice for watching Disney+ with instant loading and fast speeds for high-quality streaming.
- Connect to a server in a country that supports Disney+. I chose the UK since it’s the closest server to me that can access Disney+.
- Go to disneyplus.com and choose “Start 7-day Free Trial”. This means you can get it for free for a week and also lock in the savings of the 12-month plan.
- When you’ve signed up, stay connected to the VPN, and log in. Start streaming without restrictions!
⚙️ What devices does Disney Plus support?
You can watch Disney+ on the following devices:
- Operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Chromebook
- Mobile devices: Android (5.0 or later), iOS and iPadOS (11.0 or later), and Fire tablet (Fire OS 5.0 or later)
- Smart TVs: Apple TV (select versions), Samsung TVs (2016 or later with Tizen OS), Vizio SmartCast TVs (2016 or later, with exceptions), Android TV (5.0 or later), and LG TV (WebOS 3.0 or later)
- Streaming devices: Roku (select devices) and Fire TV devices
- Game consoles: Xbox One and Playstation 4
Start Your VPN Hyperdrive and Watch Solo: A Star Wars Story From Anywhere!
Solo: A Star Wars Story is one of the final pieces of the Star Wars saga to make the move to Disney+. Now’s the perfect time to open the intergalactic floodgates to all the incredible content on Disney’s new platform! All you need is a VPN to watch Solo and the 7,000+ other titles on Disney+ from anywhere in the world.
Keep in mind that you can try ExpressVPN for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee combined with a 7-day free trial for Disney+. This is plenty of time to watch all of the Star Wars shows and movies — perfect for a marathon streaming session!