6 Best (100% FREE) VPNs for Netflix (Updated October 2021)
The truth is that not many free VPNs can access Netflix. Ever since Netflix started blacklisting VPNs, it’s become incredibly tricky to find a free VPN (or even a paid VPN!) that still works.
To save you time and effort, I tested 30+ services to find the best free Netflix VPNs. I was surprised to discover many were downright shady and bombarded me with questionable pop-up ads. While I did find some great free VPNs, I was annoyed that there was always a trade-off — like fast speeds but only 500MB of free data, or unlimited data but endless buffering.
To avoid any limitations, you can always try ExpressVPN with Netflix as it’s a specialty Netflix VPN. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like it, you’re entitled to a full refund with no questions asked.
Quick Guide: Free Netflix VPNs That Still Work in 2021
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN with access to 40+ Netflix libraries, blazing-fast speeds, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Try ExpressVPN for Netflix today!
- CyberGhost — Optimized servers for streaming Netflix, but only free for 45 days.
- Hotspot Shield — Free 15GB of data each month, but only works with Netflix US.
- TunnelBear — Works with Netflix US, UK, Canada, and more for free, but only provides 500MB of data per month.
- Hide.me — 10GB of free monthly data for watching Netflix US, Germany, and more, but not every server works with Netflix.
- ProtonVPN — Unlimited free data for Netflix US, Japan, and the Netherlands, but speeds can be slow.
Top Tip: If you’re a big Netflix fan, you might want to consider premium Netflix VPNs with unlimited bandwidth, global servers, and HD-quality speeds. All top Netflix VPNs have a money-back guarantee, so you’ve got plenty of time to try it with Netflix for yourself.
The Best Free VPNs for Netflix — Tested October 2021
- 3000 servers in 94 countries for accessing Netflix
- Unlimited bandwidth for Ultra HD streaming
- Watch Netflix on up to 5 devices at once
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and more
- Responsive 24/7 live chat and email support
Though it’s not a free VPN, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix out there. Unlike free VPNs, there are no limitations or restrictions — ExpressVPN has unlimited bandwidth, excellent speeds, and works with streaming sites with no problems. This makes it ideal for binge-watching a season of your favorite Netflix show.
During testing, ExpressVPN’s servers worked with 40+ Netflix libraries in the US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, Germany, and more. Better yet, all of ExpressVPN’s servers had consistently high speeds while streaming.
I successfully streamed my local Netflix library on both desktop and mobile, including my Windows laptop, MacBook Pro, Android phone, and iPhone XS. I was especially impressed to find that ExpressVPN works with the Netflix app on my smartphones — most VPNs can only access Netflix via a browser app (like Google Chrome). Using the MediaStreamer feature, I was able to set up ExpressVPN on my gaming console (which isn’t compatible with standard VPN apps), and carry on streaming.
ExpressVPN works on up to 5 devices at once, so you and your household can individually stream Netflix at the same time. You can even access other streaming platforms like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer. ExpressVPN is one of the only VPNs that work in restricted countries like China, so you can reliably access your streaming account anywhere.
When I tested ExpressVPN for IP and DNS leaks, I found that my information was kept secure at all times. I was especially pleased to see that ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy, which has been independently audited by PwC. A built-in kill switch ensures that if your connection does become unstable for any reason, your internet will be cut instead of your data being leaked.
The split tunneling feature even allows you to exclude certain websites and apps from the VPN’s connection, so you can watch Netflix in your home region while the rest of your household is connected to an encrypted VPN server.
You don’t have to take my word for it though, stream Netflix with ExpressVPN today. If you find the service isn’t the right one for you, you can get your money back within 30 days. I tested their refund policy myself to make sure it works — and it does. After I signed up for an account, I contacted a representative via 24/7 live chat to ask for a refund. It was approved within minutes and the money was returned to my bank account in just 4 days!
October 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 6900 servers in 90 countries — optimized servers specifically for Netflix
- No data caps for as much Ultra HD streaming as you want
- Stream Netflix on up to 7 devices simultaneously
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, and more
- Provides 24/7 live chat, email support, and online knowledge base
CyberGhost’s optimized Netflix servers provide fast, smooth streaming for libraries in France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Sweden, the UK, and the US. These servers are tested regularly by the CyberGhost team to ensure they work, which saved me time as I didn’t have to manually try multiple servers. I simply clicked on the Netflix server for my local account and could instantly access the entire library.
During tests, I found that CyberGhost’s optimized servers are faster than its regular servers. My speeds were on average 30% faster when connected to the optimized servers. This meant I could stream Netflix content in UltraHD video quality with no lag and zero buffering. If your standard internet speeds are slower, I recommend always connecting to an optimized server to reduce any speed loss.
I connected to CyberGhost’s optimized servers on my Windows PC and Mac, as well as my Android smartphone and my iPhone. I was impressed that CyberGhost worked with the Netflix app so I didn’t have to access the site through my phone’s browser.
CyberGhost has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee you can use like an extended free trial. While this does mean an upfront fee, you get unlimited data and access to its Netflix streaming servers. This makes CyberGhost a great choice if you need a short-term VPN for binge-watching your favorite Netflix series. You can even access other streaming platforms like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+.
I suggest you try CyberGhost’s optimized Netflix servers for free to see how well they work. The money-back guarantee means you can get a full refund — I tested the process myself and it’s easy! It took less than 5 minutes to have my refund approved and I had the money back in a week.
October 2021 Update: CyberGhost has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.25 per month for the 2-year plan (you can save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 1 free US server that works with Netflix US
- Daily data limit of 500MB (around 1 hour of streaming)
- Only allows 1 device connection
- Supports Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Customer support only available via the website
While the free plan doesn’t officially support it, Hotspot Shield’s free US server works with Netflix. The app does display a pop-up message warning you that the connection might not work — but Hotspot Shield didn’t have any issues accessing Netflix shows like Lupin and Bridgerton. Hotspot Shield does throttle bandwidth, but it’s still fast enough to stream with minimal buffering.
I was impressed when I found out that Netflix wasn’t the only streaming service Hotspot Shield works with — I could also stream Hulu with only a little buffering.
Hotspot Shield’s free VPN gives you 500MB of data to use a day. Bear in mind that any leftover data you have isn’t carried forward to the next day. However, I found 500MB is more than enough for browsing the web, and it’ll even let you stream for about 1 hour!
However, I was annoyed that I kept getting interrupted by multiple pop-up notifications. During my tests, I received 5 different warnings that I was running out of data and should upgrade — even though I still had over half of my allowance left! The continuous notifications disrupted the first 15 minutes of my stream, but I was relieved it stopped afterward so I could finish the episode in peace.
You’ll need to create an account to stream Netflix with Hotspot Shield. It takes less than a minute and you can download the app to watch Netflix immediately after signing up.
- Servers in 41 countries (including the US, UK, and Canada)
- 500MB free monthly data
- Supports 5 device connections at the same time
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Email support available on the free plan
TunnelBear’s free VPN comes with 41 server locations worldwide. Even though TunnelBear’s website doesn’t explicitly state that it supports Netflix streaming, every server works with the site. During tests, TunnelBear’s servers accessed Netflix libraries in the US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, and Germany.
My average speeds on the local TunnelBear server were between 18 to 24 Mbps, which is fast enough for HD quality streaming. I watched the show Bridgerton on Netflix with no lag and only a few seconds of buffering at the start. However, the 500MB monthly allowance meant I could only watch 1 episode in HD (or 2 episodes in lower quality). Once I ran out of data, I had to wait until next month before I could continue streaming.
Despite these limitations, I enjoyed using TunnelBear to catch up on a couple of episodes as it reliably works with Netflix. It even works with BBC iPlayer (not many VPNs do anymore). To start streaming yourself, all you have to do is download the TunnelBear app, sign up for an account, and connect to a server.
- 5 free servers work with Netflix US, Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands
- 10GB of free data per month for streaming
- Only supports 1 device connection
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS and more
- 24/7 live chat and email support available
Despite its website claiming that the free account doesn’t allow streaming, Hide.me’s servers successfully accessed Netflix libraries in the US, Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands. However, the connections are inconsistent, and not every free server will access the site. While that’s still decent for a free service, it was less consistent than ExpressVPN and Hotspot Shield.
I was impressed with Hide.me’s excellent streaming speeds on its local server. I didn’t have any lag or buffering issues when I streamed the show Bridgerton on Netflix. As Hide.me only provides 10GB of free data every month, I switched to a lower-quality resolution in order to save data.
Even though you have to be patient with the server connections and manage the data allowance carefully, Hide.me is one of the few free VPN services that still work with Netflix (along with Hulu and Amazon Prime Video). Better still, you don’t even have to sign up for an account. Simply download Hide.me and start watching Netflix — no username or email address required.
- 3 free servers in the US, Japan, and Netherlands
- No data limits for endless Netflix streaming
- Only 1 device connection allowed per account
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Customer support available via email
While many free VPNs restrict your data, ProtonVPN has unlimited bandwidth for watching Netflix marathons. It also has military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and zero ads. However, I was disappointed that ProtonVPN only has 3 free server locations: the US, Japan, and the Netherlands.
Despite the limited servers, there were no issues accessing Netflix US, Japan, and the Netherlands during tests. Not only that, but all 3 servers had consistent speeds.
The main drawback is that ProtonVPN’s speeds aren’t very fast. I only got speeds between 7 to 11 Mbps on my local server. Your results may vary depending on where you’re connecting from and your internet speed. My recommendation for using a free VPN to stream is to lower the video quality from HD to SD, as it’s less data intensive and might provide faster speeds.
If slow speeds don’t bother you, ProtonVPN is a great choice for watching Netflix as it has no data caps. You can download ProtonVPN and binge-watch Netflix for free. You’ll need to create an account with an email address, but you don’t have to provide any billing information.
Quick Comparison Table: The Best Free Netflix VPNs in 2021
|Monthly Data||Device Limit||Server Countries||Speed||Free Plan|
|ExpressVPN||Unlimited||5||94||Very Fast||30-day money-back guarantee|
|CyberGhost||Unlimited||7||90||Very Fast||45-day money-back guarantee|
3 Easy Steps: Watch Netflix From Anywhere With a Free VPN
- Download a VPN that works with Netflix. For reliable and instant access, I recommend you try ExpressVPN with Netflix.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server located in the country you want to regain access to. For example, if you’re currently traveling outside the US, you can connect to a US server to carry on watching your favorite Netflix content.
- Log into Netflix and start streaming!
Don’t Waste Your Time With These Free “Netflix” VPNs
While I tested several safe and high-quality free VPNs, many services were useless for Netflix. This includes: Hoxx VPN, iVPN, CactusVPN, Ra4w VPN, Kaspersky Secure Connection, F-Secure Freedome, and Celo VPN.
Unfortunately, I also found many free VPNs you should avoid at all cost due to security concerns:
- HolaVPN: It doesn’t provide any encryption, keeps detailed user logs, and may even lead to your IP address being used by others for illegal activities.
- UFO VPN: Avoid this VPN as it’s been involved with leaks that left sensitive user data (emails, passwords, and full names) visible to prying eyes.
- TouchVPN: This VPN logs extensive user data, including IP addresses and online history.
Using these free VPNs puts you in greater danger than not using a VPN at all. They have unrestricted access to excessive amounts of your personal data, like your search history and payment details. Free VPNs often make their profit by selling this information to third parties. This exposes you to various safety risks, like scams and identity fraud.
As someone who values my online privacy and binge-watching Netflix shows, I prefer to use a premium service like ExpressVPN. It’s not free, but you can buy with confidence using the 30-day money-back guarantee. You can get a refund before the 30 days are up if you don’t like it. I’ve even tested the refund policy myself to make sure it works. The entire refund process took 5 minutes over 24/7 live chat and I got my money back in 4 days.
How I Tested and Ranked the Best Free VPN for Netflix
I tested all the leading VPNs on the market — here’s the criteria I used to shortlist the best free Netflix VPNs:
- Does it unblock Netflix? I specifically searched for free VPNs with 256-bit encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and a no-logs policy. These security features are necessary to hide your location, prevent accidental IP leaks, and access sites.
- How many server locations are available? At the very least, a free VPN should provide a local server, so you can still access your favorite content while you’re abroad. The larger the network the better, as you’ll have more servers to try Netflix with.
- Are there any limitations? Many free VPNs come with data caps, bandwidth restrictions, and slower speeds. I found that for decent video quality, without interruptions, a free VPN should have speeds of at least 5Mbps (SD quality). The best VPN services also have apps on a range of devices — so you’re not limited to streaming Netflix one way.
- How does this VPN make money? The last thing you want is for your VPN to be secretly selling your private data in order to make a profit. That’s why I made sure every free VPN I recommend makes money in a legitimate way, such as running a paid service (alongside the free VPN). I also checked that the free VPN didn’t ask for unnecessary personal information, like payment details.
- How good is the customer support? Even the best VPNs can have issues, so you’ll need a great support team that can help you.
How Does a VPN Work With Netflix?
Netflix only allows you to access the library of the country in which you’re physically located. It does this by using your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address — a unique set of numbers used to identify a device and show where it is. If you try to connect to a library outside of your location, you’ll be blocked. Unfortunately, this means that you won’t be able to access the content you’ve paid for if you’re traveling abroad for vacation or work.
However, a VPN changes your IP address as soon as you connect to its server. For example, when you connect to a VPN server in the US, you’ll receive a US IP address. This allows you to access the Netflix US library from your holiday location.
Unfortunately, Netflix is the most challenging streaming platform for VPNs to access. As part of its copyright agreements with media companies, Netflix doesn’t allow people to use a VPN to access libraries belonging to a country they don’t live in. So, to prevent this from happening, Netflix’s team is constantly flagging and blacklisting VPN IP addresses. This means only paid VPNs have the resources to consistently work with Netflix.
While all the free VPNs I’ve recommended currently work with Netflix, I can’t guarantee they will every time. Free VPNs simply don’t have the technology to always access Netflix. That’s why I recommend ExpressVPN as the best premium VPN for Netflix. It has 3000 global servers, which are constantly refreshed and optimized to work with Netflix. Since it comes with a money-back guarantee, you can get a refund within 30 days if the service isn’t right for you.
Help! Quick Fixes to Make Your VPN Work With Netflix
Seeing this error message while using a VPN with Netflix?
Pardon the interruption
You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help, visit netflix.com/proxy.
Error Code: M7111-5059
It’s pretty common. When this happens, I use these simple steps to get rid of the error message and resume streaming:
- Select another VPN server. The particular server you’re connected to may be leaking your location details. You can check how secure your new connection is with this reliable IP checker.
- Clear your web browser cache and cookies. This data can reveal your actual information.
- Try a different web browser. Firefox and Chrome are usually the best options for watching Netflix.
- Check if your VPN is up to date. If not, download a new update to ensure you’re using the latest software.
- If you’re struggling with unblocking Netflix on your phone, try to delete your VPN app, clear its existing data, and reinstall it.
- Contact the VPN’s customer service and ask for help with unblocking your desired Netflix library.
You’re less likely to experience these issues if you choose a premium Netflix VPN. For instance, ExpressVPN regularly adds new IP addresses to its database to help you avoid being detected by Netflix. I’ve been using the VPN for a while now and I’ve never been blocked from binge-watching my favorite shows. You can see for yourself — try ExpressVPN with Netflix. While I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, you’re entitled to a full refund within 30 days if it doesn’t meet your expectations.
FAQ: Netflix and Free VPNs
Is it legal to use a free VPN with Netflix?
Yes, but it’s complicated. Netflix doesn’t like it when people use VPNs due to its licensing agreements with media companies — but you won’t get banned or fined. Keep in mind that using a VPN is also frowned upon in some countries, like China or Russia.
Not all free VPNs are safe to use either. At best, you could unintentionally be sharing your online activities with advertisers. At worst, a free VPN could compromise your security and expose you to malware, hackers, and even government authorities.
While it’s not free, ExpressVPN is the safest and most reliable VPN service to use while watching Netflix. It has an audited no-logs policy and it didn’t expose my data in any leak tests. You can try ExpressVPN with Netflix yourself. If you find the service isn’t for you, you have 30 days to get a refund with the money-back guarantee.
Can I use a free proxy to unblock Netflix?
Sadly, no. Netflix recently blocked all free (and many paid) proxy services. If you want to watch Netflix from anywhere, check out these free VPNs proven to work with Netflix.
In general, I don’t like to recommend proxy services. Even though proxies and VPNs both reroute your internet traffic to hide your IP address, proxy services simply aren’t secure. In comparison, a VPN encrypts your online connection and keeps your private data safe from any spying third parties (like hackers). I personally recommend you use ExpressVPN to watch Netflix. In my tests, it never leaked any personal data or my actual IP.
Do free VPNs work with Netflix on any device?
It depends. Not every service does, but the best Netflix VPNs all work on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more. Below is a full rundown of the best free VPNs for Netflix and their compatible devices.
|Windows||Mac||Android||iOS||Android TV||Amazon Fire TV|
What free VPN unblocks the most Netflix libraries?
Based on tests, ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, and TunnelBear work with the most Netflix libraries. However, TunnelBear’s tiny data allowance only lets you stream around 1 hour of Netflix every month! Not only that, but TunnelBear and other free VPNs are likely to give you slow speeds, limited server choices, and they won’t work with Netflix consistently.
To avoid the annoying restrictions, I recommend you use ExpressVPN to watch Netflix. It’s more reliable at accessing Netflix and other streaming services. Its strong encryption features also keep you safe while you’re browsing the web.
Which free VPN doesn’t need a credit card?
Many of the best free VPNs won’t require a credit card, including Hotspot Shield and TunnelBear. However, you’ll often be asked to provide an email address and create an account. This doesn’t take too long, and you’ll be able to start using the VPN as soon as you download its app. I recommend you try Hotspot Shield with Netflix for yourself now.
Is there a free VPN for Netflix with fast speeds?
I tested more than 30 VPNs for Netflix, and I was most impressed by ExpressVPN and CyberGhost I used both VPNs to stream Netflix with little to no buffering and lag. However, ExpressVPN is definitely the fastest — I could even stream in 4K UltraHD quality!
You can watch Netflix and other streaming sites with ExpressVPN. If you don’t like the service for any reason, you can get a refund within 30 days. I asked for a refund after I signed up, and a representative approved it within 5 minutes over live chat.
Are free VPNs safe?
Yes, but you should be careful. While there are several safe VPNs you can get for free, you should stay clear of some of the other services. At best, you’ll have slow speeds, limited bandwidth, and limited access to streaming sites — but at worst, shady free VPNs will secretly track and sell your personal information.
In contrast, a service like ExpressVPN will keep you safe, offer lightning-fast speeds, and unblock all popular streaming services..
Watch Netflix US, UK, and More With the Best Free VPN
With the right VPN, you can watch your favorite shows on Netflix from anywhere. However, you have to be aware of the limitations and dangers that come with free VPNs. This includes data leaks to logging and selling your browsing history — making most free VPNs not worth the downsides.
After testing 30+ free VPNs, I found that ExpressVPN is still the best choice for watching Netflix. While it’s not free, it has plenty of fast global servers for streaming Netflix in Ultra HD. It even works with other streaming platforms like Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
You don’t need to take my word for it though — you can try ExpressVPN for yourself. If you’re not fully satisfied, it’s quick and easy to contact ExpressVPN over 24/7 live chat. You have 30 days to get a full refund (no questions asked). When I tested the refund policy to make sure it works, I got my money back in only 4 days.