6 Best 100% Free VPNs for Netflix (Updated April 2021)Last Updated by Julia Olech on April 06, 2021
Not many free VPNs work with Netflix. Ever since Netflix started blacklisting VPNs, it’s become incredibly tricky to find a free VPN that can get around the blocks. To be honest, I’ve even found some paid VPNs can’t access Netflix anymore.
To save you time and effort, I tested over 30 providers to find the best free VPNs to watch Netflix. It surprised me that many free VPNs claim to work with Netflix, but purposely block access until you pay money. Other free VPNs were downright dangerous to use and secretly malware in disguise.
Even though I shortlisted 6 free Netflix VPNs, even the best weren’t perfect. You’ll have to deal with limited free usage, data, speed, and servers. If you don’t want any restrictions, you’re better off with a proven Netflix VPN like ExpressVPN. You can try ExpressVPN with its money-back guarantee — it’s completely risk-free if you change your mind and want a refund later.
Quick Guide: Free Netflix VPNs That Still Work 2021
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN for watching 40+ Netflix libraries with blazing-fast speeds. Try ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days.
- ProtonVPN — Unlimited free data for Netflix US, Japan, and Netherlands, but speeds can be slow.
- Hide.me — 10GB of free data for watching Netflix US, Germany, and more, but noy every server works with Netflix.
- TunnelBear — Unblocks Netflix US, UK, Canada, and more for free, but only provides 500MB of data per month.
- Hotspot Shield — Free 15GB of data each month, but only works with Netflix US.
- Windscribe — Up to 14GB of free monthly data but Netflix streaming quality is poor.
Top Tip: If you’re a big fan of Netflix, it’s best to consider a low-cost VPN like CyberGhost. Not only does it reliably unblock Netflix, but it’s fast and cheap. You can save even more when you sign up with CyberGhost’s hidden coupon page.
6 Best (100% FREE) VPNs for Netflix — Tested April 2021
- 3000 servers in 94 countries for unblocking Netflix
- Unlimited bandwidth for Ultra HD streaming
- Watch Netflix on up to 5 devices at once
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and more
- Responsive 24/7 live chat and email support
Though not a free VPN, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix out there and you can try it risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. While you do need to pay upfront to create an account, you can request a refund immediately afterwards and use the VPN to watch Netflix for the remaining 30 days. Unlike other free VPNs, there are no limitations or restrictions — ExpressVPN has unlimited bandwidth, excellent speeds, and access to its entire server network. This makes it ideal for binge-watching a season of your favorite Netflix show.
During tests, I easily unblocked 40+ Netflix libraries in the US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, Germany, and more. Better still, I didn’t have any buffering or lag while streaming. In fact, I even had high speeds on servers in the US, Australia, and Japan (over 15,000km away from my location!).
I successfully streamed Netflix on both desktop and mobile, including my Windows laptop, MacBook Pro, Android phone, and iPhone XS. I was especially impressed to find that ExpressVPN unblocked the Netflix app on my smartphones — most VPNs can only access Netflix.com via a browser app (like Google Chrome).
ExpressVPN works on up to 5 devices at once, so you and your household can even individually stream Netflix at the same time. You can even watch shows and films on popular streaming platforms like Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and BBC iPlayer.
You don’t have to take my word for it though. You can stream Netflix with ExpressVPN using the money-back guarantee for 30 days. I tested it myself to make sure it works — and it does. After I signed up for an account, I contacted an ExpressVPN representative via 24/7 live chat to ask for a refund. It was approved within minutes and the money returned to my bank account in just 4 days!
April 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 3 free servers in the US, Japan, and Netherlands
- No data limits for endless Netflix streaming
- Only 1 device connection allowed per account
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Customer support available via email
While many free VPNs restrict your data, ProtonVPN has unlimited bandwidth for watching Netflix marathons. It also has military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy, which makes it ideal for consistently overcoming Netflix’s restrictions. However, you can only access 3 free server locations in the US, Japan, and Netherlands.
When I tested the server connections, I easily unblocked Netflix US, Japan, and the Netherlands. This came as a surprise to me as ProtonVPN claims on the website that its free plan doesn’t work with Netflix. Despite this claim, I successfully watched the show Lupin in HD quality with minimal buffering on all 3 free servers.
The main drawback is that ProtonVPN’s speeds aren’t consistent. From my location in the UK, I only got speeds between 7 to 11 Mbps on all 3 servers. However, my colleague ran tests on the same servers in Central Europe and got fast speeds above 100 Mbps. Your results may vary depending on where you’re connecting from and your base internet speed.
If longer buffering times don’t bother you, ProtonVPN is a great choice for watching Netflix as it has no data caps. To try it yourself, you can download ProtonVPN and binge watch Netflix for free. You’ll need to create an account and submit your email address, but you don’t have to provide any billing information.
- 5 free servers unblock Netflix US, Canada, Germany, and Netherlands
- 10GB of free data per month for streaming
- Only supports 1 device connection
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS and more
- 24/7 live chat and email support available
Despite the website claiming that the free account doesn’t allow streaming, I successfully used hide.me to unblock Netflix US, Canada, Germany, and the Netherlands. However, my connection didn’t work every time. For example, I managed to unblock Netflix US on 10 out of 15 attempts. While that’s still a decent success rate for a free service, it was less consistent than ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN.
Once I did connect to Netflix, I was impressed with Hide.me’s excellent streaming speeds. I watched the show Bridgerton on Netflix US without any lag or buffering. As HIde.me only provides 10GB of free data every month, I switched to a lower-quality resolution in order to save data and complete a full episode.
Even though you have to be patient with the server connections and manage the data allowance carefully, Hide.me is one of the few free VPN services that still work with Netflix. Better still, you don’t even have to sign up for an account. Simply download Hide.me and start watching Netflix — no username or email address required.
- 20+ server locations in the US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, and Germany
- 500MB free monthly data
- Sports 5 device connections at the same time
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Email support available on the free plan
TunnelBear’s free VPN gives you access to 20+ server locations worldwide. Even though TunnelBear’s website doesn’t explicitly state that it supports Netflix streaming, I found that each server easily gets around location restrictions. During my tests, I unblocked Netflix libraries in the US, UK, Canada, France, Japan, and Germany.
My average speeds were between 18 to 24 Mbps, which is fast enough for HD quality streaming. I watched the show Bridgerton on Netflix US with no lag and only a few seconds of buffering at the start. However, the 500MB monthly allowance meant I could only watch 1 episode in HD (or 2 episodes in lower quality). Once I ran out of data, I had to wait until next month before I could continue streaming.
Despite these limitations, I enjoyed using TunnelBear to catch up on a couple of Netflix episodes as it reliably unblocks Netflix. To start streaming yourself, all you have to do is download the TunnelBear app, sign up for an account, and connect to a server.
- 1 free US server that unblocks Netflix US
- Daily data limit of 500MB (around 1 hour of streaming)
- Only allows 1 device connection
- Supports Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Customer support only available via website
While the free plan doesn’t officially unblock Netflix, I easily connected to Hotspot Shield’s US server and unblocked Netflix. The app does display a pop-up message warning you that the connection might not work — but I didn’t have any issues streaming Netflix shows like Lupin and Bridgerton. Hotspot Shield does throttle bandwidth, but I still found it fast enough to keep up with the story without getting annoyed.
However, I was annoyed that I kept getting interrupted by multiple pop-up notifications. I received 5 different warnings that I was running out of data and should upgrade — even though I still had over half of my allowance left! The continuous notifications disrupted the first 15 minutes of my stream, but I was relieved it stopped afterwards so I could finish the episode in peace.
You’ll need to create an account to use Hotspot Shield for free. It takes less than a minute and you can download the app to watch Netflix immediately afterwards.
- Unblocks Netflix on US, UK, Canadian, French, and German servers
- Up to 14GB free monthly data (around 10 hours of Netflix in SD)
- Connect an unlimited number of devices at once
- Works on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more
- Customer support available via email
At the time of testing, Windscribe’s free plan works with Netflix US, UK, Canada, France, and Germany. While I couldn’t access the Netflix-specific WINDFLIX servers (only available for paying users), I could still use the regular servers to watch Netflix shows like Bridgerton.
Unfortunately, I did find that my streaming quality was low and didn’t improve throughout my tests. This is most likely because non-WINDFLIX servers aren’t optimized for Netflix streaming. This also means that depending on the day, Windscribe’s regular servers might struggle to consistently unblock Netflix.
Windscribe provides 2GB of free monthly data when you initially sign up — but you can increase the data allowance by taking a few extra steps. If you confirm your email address, your allowance increases to 10GB of free data. You’ll also get extra 4GB a month if you tweet about Windscribe. That’s 14GB in total, which is approximately 14 hours of Netflix streaming every month. It’s a lot of effort, but not a bad option if you’ve got time to spare.
3 Easy Steps: Watch Netflix From Anywhere With a Free VPN
- Download a VPN that works with Netflix. For reliable and instant access to any Netflix library worldwide, try ExpressVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server located in the Netflix country you want to access. For example, connect to a US server to unblock Netflix US.
- Log into Netflix and start streaming!
How Does a VPN Work With Netflix?
Netflix only allows you to access the library of the country in which you’re physically located. It does this by using your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address — a unique set of numbers used to identify a device and show where it is. If you try to connect to a library outside of your location, you’ll be blocked.
A VPN can bypass the Netflix proxy error by changing your IP address as soon as you connect to its server. Your connection is automatically rerouted through that server — meaning your location now appears identical to the server location. For example, when you connect to a VPN server in the US, you’ll receive a US IP address. This allows you to access the Netflix US library from wherever you’re located.
However, Netflix is the most challenging streaming platform for VPNs to unblock. As part of its copyright agreements with media companies, Netflix doesn’t condone using a VPN to access its international libraries. In fact, Netflix’s team is constantly flagging and blacklisting VPN IP addresses. This means only paid VPNs have the resources to stay ahead of Netflix’s blocks.
While all the free VPNs I’ve recommended do work with Netflix, I can’t guarantee that it will every time. Free VPNs simply don’t have the technology to always stay ahead of the blocks. That’s why I recommend ExpressVPN as the best VPN for Netflix. It has 3000 global servers, which are constantly refreshed and optimized to work with Netflix. ExpressVPN is risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee, so you can watch Netflix for nearly a month and still get your money back.
Don’t Waste Your Time With These Free “Netflix” VPNs
I found many free VPNs you should avoid at all cost due to security concerns:
- HolaVPN: It doesn’t provide any encryption, keeps detailed user logs, and may even lead to your IP address being used by others for illegal activities.
- UFO VPN: Avoid this VPN as it’s been involved with leaks that left sensitive user data (emails, passwords, and full names) visible to prying eyes.
- TouchVPN: This VPN logs extensive user data, including IP addresses and online history.
These free VPNs put you in a bigger danger online than not using any VPN to begin with. Since they have access to excessive amounts of your personal data, like your search history and payment details, they often make their profit by selling this information to third parties. Many free providers also generate hundreds of pop-up ads that infect your devices with malware. The malicious programs are then used to spy on you, steal your sensitive information, or even lock you out of your device completely. This exposes you to various safety risks, like scams and identity fraud.
Other free VPNs that were useless for Netflix include: Hoxx VPN, iVPN, CactusVPN, Ra4w VPN, Kaspersky Secure Connection, F-Secure Freedome, and Celo VPN.
The best (and safest) way to watch Netflix is to use ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. Not only is it the best VPN for Netflix, it’s also one of the best VPNs in 2021 overall. I tested the refund policy myself to make sure it works — and it does! My refund was approved over 24/7 live chat within 5 minutes and the money returned to my account in 4 days.
How I Tested and Ranked the Best Free VPN for Netflix
I used the below criteria to shortlist the best free Netflix VPNs.
- Does it unblock Netflix? I specifically searched for free VPNs with 256-bit encryption and IP/DNS leak protection. These security features are necessary to hide your location, prevent accidental IP leaks and stop Netflix from checking where you’re really connecting from.
- How many server locations are available? At the very least, a free VPN should offer access to a US server (because Netflix US has the biggest Netflix collection of shows and movies).
- Are there any limitations? Many free VPNs come with data caps, bandwidth restrictions, and slower speeds. I found that for a decent video quality without interruptions, a free VPN should have speeds of at least 5Mbps (SD quality).
- How does this VPN make money? The last thing you want is for your VPN to be secretly selling your private data in order to make a profit. That’s why I made sure every free VPN I recommend makes money in a legitimate way, such as running a paid service (alongside the free VPN).
Help! Quick Fixes to Make Your VPN Work With Netflix
Don’t worry if you see this error message while trying to unblock a particular Netflix library:
Pardon the interruption
You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help, visit netflix.com/proxy.
Error Code: M7111-5059
Netflix detects even the most reliable VPNs sometimes. When this happens, I use these simple steps to get rid of the error message and resume streaming:
- Select another VPN server. The particular server you’re connected to may be leaking your location details. You can check how secure your new connection is with this reliable IP checker.
- Clear your web browser cache and cookies. This data can reveal your actual location.
- Try a different web browser. Firefox and Chrome are usually the best options for watching Netflix.
- Check if your VPN is up to date. If not, download a new update to ensure you’re using the latest software.
- If you’re struggling with unblocking Netflix on your phone, try to delete your VPN app, clear its existing data, and reinstall it.
- Contact the VPN’s customer service and ask for help with unblocking your desired Netflix library.
You’re less likely to experience these issues if you use a premium VPN. For instance, ExpressVPN regularly adds new IP addresses to its database to help you avoid being detected by Netflix. I’ve been using the VPN for a while now and I was never blocked once from binge-watching my favorite shows. You can see for yourself — try ExpressVPN with Netflix risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. It’s hassle-free to request a full refund so you don’t have to pay anything.
FAQ: Netflix and Free VPNs
Is it legal to use a free VPN with Netflix?
Yes, it’s legal. Netflix doesn’t like it when people use VPNs due to its licensing agreements with media companies — but you won’t get banned or fined. However, not all free VPNs are safe to use. At best, you could unintentionally be sharing your online activities with advertisers. At worst, a free VPN could compromise your security and expose you to malware, hackers, and even government authorities.
Out of all the free VPNs that work with Netflix, ExpressVPN is the safest and most reliable service. It has an audited no-logs policy and it didn’t expose my data in any leak tests. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. All you have to do is request a refund after signing up — and you’ll be able to use the VPN to watch Netflix for the remaining money-back guarantee period.
Can I use a free proxy to unblock Netflix?
Sadly, no. Netflix recently blocked all free (and many paid) proxy services. If you want to watch Netflix from anywhere, check out these free VPNs proven to work with Netflix.
In general, I don’t like to recommend proxy services. Even though proxies and VPNs both reroute your internet traffic to hide your IP address, proxy services simply aren’t secure. In comparison, a VPN encrypts your online connection and keeps your private data safe from any spying third parties (like your ISP, legal authorities, and hackers).
Do free VPNs work with Netflix on any device?
It depends. Not every service does, but the best free Netflix VPNs all work on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and more. Below is a full rundown of the best free VPNs for Netflix and their compatible devices
|5. Hotspot Shield||✔||✔||✔||✔||✘||✘|
What free VPN unblocks the most Netflix libraries?
Based on my tests, ExpressVPN and TunnelBear unblock the most Netflix libraries. However, TunnelBear’s tiny data allowance only lets you stream around 1 hour of Netflix every month!
To avoid the annoying restrictions, I recommend you use ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. While you do need to pay upfront, you can request a refund straight away and keep using ExpressVPN to watch Netflix for the rest of the 30-day period.
Which free VPN that doesn’t need a credit card?
Many of the best free VPNs won’t require a credit card, including ProtonVPN and Hide.me. However, you’ll often be asked to provide an email address and create an account.
Is there a free VPN for Netflix with fast speeds?
I tested more than 30 free VPNs for Netflix, and I was most impressed by ExpressVPN (it’s risk-free for 30 days) and Hide.me. I used both VPNs to stream Netflix with little to no buffering and lag. However, ExpressVPN is definitely the fastest — I could even stream in 4K UltraHD quality!
You can take advantage of ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee and use it risk-free for 30 days. I tested this myself and it really works. I asked for a refund after I signed up, and a representative approved it within 5 minutes over live chat. I then used ExpressVPN to stream Netflix for the rest of the money-back guarantee period.
Watch Netflix US, UK and More With the Best Free VPN
With the right VPN, you can watch your favorite shows on Netflix from anywhere. However, you have to be aware of the limitations and dangers that come with free VPNs. This includes data leaks to logging and selling your browsing history — making most free VPNs not worth the downsides.
After testing 30+ free VPNs, I found that ExpressVPN is the best choice for watching Netflix. It’s the most reliable at unblocking popular libraries and streaming shows in UltraHD without lag. It even gives you access to other streaming services like Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
The best part is that you can take advantage of ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee to use it risk-free for 30 days. If you’re not fully satisfied with it, contact its customer service to ask for a refund. When I went through the process myself, I got my money back in only 4 days.