How to Easily Install a VPN on Samsung Smart TVs in 2021Last Updated by Joel Timothy on January 01, 2021
Samsung TVs now run on Tizen OS, and the operating system doesn’t support VPN apps. However, there are still workarounds you can use to get a VPN to work on your Samsung Smart TV.
Out of 25 VPNs I tested, NordVPN had the easiest setup and the largest, most reliable network of servers for streaming. This guide will show you different ways to install it on your Samsung Smart TV in a few easy steps. Since it also has a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try NordVPN risk-free and make sure you’re able to set it up with no problems.
How to Install a VPN on a Samsung Smart TV
For older Android-based Samsung Smart TVs, you can simply download a VPN from the Google Play store. For TVs with Tizen OS, you’ll need to set up a VPN on your router, use Windows connection sharing, or enable Smart DNS. The easiest to set up is Smart DNS, but it doesn’t encrypt your connection. This security limitation means your activities won’t be kept private.
You can find standalone DNS proxies, but they could collect your personal data and are often blocked by streaming services. When I tested every VPN’s Smart DNS feature on this list to make sure it unblocks popular streaming apps, I had no problems. Only ExpressVPN had a Smart DNS Media Streamer that is optimized specifically to work with Samsung and other brand Smart TVs.
If you’re thinking of installing a router, make sure that your router firmware is compatible with VPNs by checking the user manual. If it isn’t, you can usually download new custom firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT. Just keep in mind that this is for more advanced users only, as it can permanently damage your router if done incorrectly. If you want to try this method, you can refer to this detailed guide on setting up a VPN on a router. To make things easier, you can also just buy a pre-configured router through the VPN’s website — but take note that these can cost significantly more.
With those pros and cons in mind, here are the steps for each of the 3 ways to set up a VPN on your Samsung TV:
1. How to Set Up a VPN on Your Samsung Smart TV Through Your Router
While specific routers may have slight differences in their process, the basic steps to set up routers with a VPN are as follows:
- Download a top VPN like NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
- Find your router’s IP address by opening the Windows command prompt, typing IPCONFIG, and hitting enter. The “Default Gateway” is your router IP. Mac users can find it under System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP.
- Log into your router by entering the IP address into your web browser.
- Configure your router using the guides on your VPN’s website.
- Watch unblocked TV and movies on your Samsung Smart TV!
2. How to Set Up a VPN on Your Samsung Smart TV With Windows Connection Sharing or a Virtual Router
In addition to setting up connection sharing using an ethernet cable connected from a VPN-protected device to your TV, you can also share your device’s WiFi connection. While ethernet gives you much faster speeds, using WiFi is a lot more convenient. With a VPN installed on your Windows PC, you can just share your VPN connection with your Samsung Smart TV by turning your PC into a Virtual Router. You will need:
- A PC that has a Broadcom-based WiFi adapter (most modern computers have them)
- A subscription with a VPN that uses OpenVPN
- Administrative rights on the PC
To check if your PC supports setting up a Virtual Router:
- Go to the Windows search bar and type “Command Prompt”, then select “Run as administrator”.
- In the window that opens, type “netsh wlan show drivers” and hit Enter.
- Look for the line that reads “Hosted Network Supported.”
- If it says Yes, then your PC can be used to create a Wireless Hotspot. You can now go ahead and create one.
Here are the steps to help you set up a virtual router with your VPN connection.
- Download one of the best VPNs for Samsung Smart TVs.
- Connect to the VPN using a server in the country with content you want to access.
- Open “Mobile Hotspot Settings” in Windows.
- Ensure your WiFi network is selected under “Share my Internet connection from.”
- Activate the mobile hotspot to share the VPN connection with other devices.
- Connect your Samsung Smart TV to the new mobile hotspot.
- Watch location-restricted TV and movies from all around the world!
3. How to Set Up a VPN on Your Samsung Smart TV With Smart DNS
- Download one of the top VPNs on this list.
- Find the Smart DNS page on your VPN’s website and activate Smart DNS.
- Open the Settings menu on your Samsung Smart TV.
- Choose the Network tab. You’ll have to also pick a Wi-Fi Connection or Ethernet Connection tab, depending on how your TV is connected on some models.
- Open the Network Status tab, select “IP Settings”, then go to “DNS Settings” and select “Enter manually”.
- Enter one of the DNS addresses you got from your VPN’s website under “Primary DNS”.
- Click OK, restart your TV, and start watching unblocked TV shows and movies from anywhere!
7 Best VPNs for Samsung Smart TV
- 5,000+ global servers that easily unblock Smart TV apps and content
- Super-reliable connections for TV and movie streams that never stop to buffer
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 24/7 chat support for quick help anytime
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN’s huge server network gives you consistently reliable connections for flawless streaming on Samsung Smart TV apps. With servers in over 60 countries, I love that NordVPN can quickly unblock TV shows, sports, and movies reliably from all over the world. With so many servers to choose from, they never get overcrowded (which can cause buffering and lag while you’re in the middle of a show).
It’s easy to forget that Smart TVs can be hacked like any other device — with some of the industry’s best security, NordVPN keeps your Smart TV connection safe. Its servers use military-grade data encryption, which gives me peace of mind that no one can steal my streaming logins or hack into the TV’s camera to spy on me.
Though NordVPN doesn’t have dedicated router firmware, you can configure it to work on routers manually. It also runs on OpenVPN, so it can be used to easily share VPN connection between your Samsung Smart TV and a PC. Once NordVPN is set up, it uses technology called SmartPlay to reliably unblock streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, BBC, Kodi, and more. This feature is built into the VPN so that it can bypass pesky geoblocks without any effort on your end.
During my tests, it only took a minute to set up a mobile hotspot on my laptop and connect it to my Samsung TV. Then I was able to instantly unblock Netflix libraries in the server country I chose. I started an episode of After Life, and it played all the way through HD with no buffering.
If you want to make sure you like its features before you commit to a subscription, you can try NordVPN for free for 30 days. If you aren’t happy, you can get a full refund — I tested the money-back guarantee myself and canceled via live chat. The rep asked why I was canceling (I just said I didn’t like the app), and my request was processed immediately with no further discussion. I got the money back in my bank account the following week.
NordVPN unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, HBO NOW, Vudu, Peacock, DAZN, Kodi, and more.
NordVPN works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Blackberry, Firefox, Chrome, Nintendo Switch, routers, and more.
January 2021 Update! For a limited time only, save 68% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 3 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 3,000+ global servers that can access international streaming content
- Super fast speeds for streaming on your Samsung Smart TV lag-free in HD
- Built-in speed tester to find the fastest server right away
- 24/7 live chat agents to get help when you need it
- 30-day money-back guarantee
During my tests, ExpressVPN’s super-fast servers streamed TV reliably in HD with no lag even when I used servers across the world. When I tested speeds in 4 different Netflix regions with some of the biggest content libraries (the US, the UK, Canada, and Greece), I got average speeds of 64Mbps — more than fast enough to stream in 4K HD on multiple devices at once.
ExpressVPN has Smart DNS service through a service known as Media Streamer that makes setup really easy. Just create a Smart DNS account and add the DNS IP in the settings of your Samsung Smart TV. This won’t affect your speeds, but it will give access to geoblocked platforms regardless of your location.
Although router setup is usually much more complicated, one of my favorite things about ExpressVPN is it has its own native router firmware for smart TVs. After the firmware is installed on your router, you can operate the VPN in a user-friendly console to take advantage of features such as split tunneling and a media streamer.
During my tests, ExpressVPN was able to unblock almost almost any streaming service. I accessed Netflix libraries in the US, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Japan, India, and more. I also unblocked BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and even Spotify.
Even better, you can try ExpressVPN for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee and then get a refund without any reason. I contacted live chat and requested my money back, and they processed my refund with no questions asked. The money appeared in my bank account in only a week.
ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, HBO NOW, Vudu, Peacock, DAZN, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Blackberry, Firefox, Chrome, routers, and more.
January 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections Works Seamlessly on All Your TVs (And Other Devices)
- 1,700+ servers worldwide that can bypass streaming restrictions
- Unlimited connections, so one account protects all your TVs (and other devices)
- No limits on data, no matter how many devices you connect with
- 24/7 live chat is available even on holidays
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Surfshark is the only VPN I found that allows for unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use a single account to protect all your Smart TVs and web-connected devices at once. My video never lagged even while watching Netflix in HD on 3 Samsung TVs and 5 other devices using Surfshark.
During my tests, it was easy to set up Surfshark’s Smart DNS to connect to my Samsung Smart TV in just a couple of steps. After I logged into my Surfshark account online, I easily enabled the Smart DNS option. Then I just clicked a Surfshark link sent to me in a confirmation email. After entering the DNS address in my Samsung Smart TV settings, I was able to connect instantly.
The Surfshark interface is easy to use — you can view how many connections each server location has and choose less crowded ones if needed. For an extra layer of security while streaming, you can use MultiHop and connect to your chosen server through another country.
If you want to try Surfshark with its 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s a great way to see if it works on your devices. I tested it for 2 weeks and then reached out to support via live chat for a refund. I just had to give a reason (I said I changed my mind), and the rep processed my request immediately. The money appeared back in my PayPal account 2 days later.
Surfshark unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, HBO NOW, Vudu, Peacock, and more.
Surfshark works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Blackberry, Firefox, routers, and more.
- 6,500+ global servers that can get around blocks from major streaming services
- Specialized streaming servers optimized for TV and movie apps
- Favorites list to instantly access the best servers for streaming
- Online live chat help available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee — the longest of any VPN I tested
CyberGhost has dedicated servers for Samsung Smart TV apps like Netflix in the US and UK, Hulu, NBC, Comedy Central, and YouTube. That means fast and reliable streams when you watch TV and movies on your Samsung Smart TV. Since these servers are optimized for streaming services, you’ll get the best speeds for lag-free video in HD. Using these servers, I never had to wait for a show or movie to start and I didn’t get sudden reductions in video quality.
When there wasn’t a server specialized for a streaming app I wanted, CyberGhost’s location-based servers effortlessly unblocked streaming apps during my tests as well. No matter which server I chose, I always got buffer-free streams.
CyberGhost allows you to customize your router VPN connection easily within your web browser to set options like blocking ads and malicious sites as well as protection from online trackers. You can also set up the VPN on your PC and share the connection since CyberGhost runs on OpenVPN.
If you want to try CyberGhost risk-free for 45 days, it has a really generous money-back guarantee. I contacted support via live chat for a refund, they processed my request immediately after I explained that I couldn’t afford it. The money was in my bank account 10 days later.
CyberGhost unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, HBO NOW, Peacock, and more.
CyberGhost works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Firefox, routers, and more.
Holiday Sale! CyberGhost has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.25 per month + get an extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
5. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Tons of Servers in the US and the UK to Unblock the Most Streaming Content
- 12,500+ servers with reliable unblocking capabilities on major streaming sites
- The most US and UK-based servers, which let you access the largest TV and movie content libraries
- Super-affordable plans are a budget-friendly value
- 24/7 customer service chat
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) has more servers in the US, the UK, and Canada with the most content on super popular streaming sites like Netflix. With so many servers to choose from, TV and movies never slowed down on my Samsung Smart TV due to overcrowded servers.
After installing PIA on my router and connecting to a server in the UK, I had instant access to UK exclusives like The Sweeney through my Smart TV’s Netflix app. Even in HD, I never got any buffering delays during my favorite shows and movies.
One minor con of PIA is that it can’t be configured to work on your Samsung Smart TV using Smart DNS, but you can just install it on your router. Even though the router option can sometimes result in a slower connection, it offers better security than Smart DNS does.
Thankfully, PIA’s online guides give you easy to follow instructions for router installation. If you aren’t sure if it will work with your model router, you can try PIA for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee to ensure setup goes smoothly before you commit.
PIA unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, Peacock, and more.
PIA works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Firefox, routers, and more.
- 1,500+ servers to unblock global TV, movie, and sports content from anywhere
- Selection of VPN protocols to maximize Samsung Smart TV compatibility
- Kill switch protects your privacy if the connection is lost
- 24/7 support bot can answer basic questions anytime
- 30-day money-back guarantee
IPVanish lets you easily select from a variety of VPN protocols — by using OpenVPN, you’ll have maximum compatibility for connection sharing between your VPN and your Samsung Smart TV. A little extra streaming reliability means fewer connection drops, which are really frustrating when you’re trying to keep up with your favorite new shows.
IPVanish doesn’t have as many servers as the other VPNs on this list, but I still got great connection speeds for smooth Smart TV streaming. Sometimes a show or movie would take a couple seconds to start, but it never stopped to buffer once it started.
If you try IPVanish’s 30-day money-back guarantee, you can make sure you like it. The only downside is that you have to get the yearly subscription to qualify for the refund. When I reached out via email to cancel, I got a reply that my refund had been processed less than 2 hours later.
IPVanish unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Disney+, Peacock, and more.
IPVanish works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, routers, and more.
- 100+ servers that reliably unblock popular streaming apps
- Ultraflix feature unblocks streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Secure firewall keeps your data safe as it moves across the internet
- 24/7 phone support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Hide My Ass (HMA) comes pre-loaded with a speed testing tool that shows you the fastest server for streaming on your Samsung Smart TV. All I had to do was click a couple of buttons in the options menu, and I had a list of the 5 fastest servers for lag-free Smart TV streaming in less than 2 minutes.
You can find multiple Smart TV setup options as HMA supports routers and connection sharing. If you get stuck installing it, there are easy to follow guides on HMA’s website for different router types. Plus, 24/7 phone support means you can call for help anytime. Since you can try HMA risk-free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee, it’s really easy to get a full refund if you decide to go with another provider.
HMA unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Roku, YouTube TV, Peacock, and more.
HMA works on: macOS, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, and more.
How to Find the Best VPN for Samsung Smart TV
Before you try connecting your Smart TV to a VPN, it’s important to ensure that you have the right VPN first. In addition to the ability to work with WiFi routers, connection sharing, or Smart DNS, here are others factors you should look for:
- High speeds — VPNs are known for negatively affecting speeds. For a VPN to be suitable for streaming, it needs to have excellent connection speeds to ensure that you can still stream in HD and 4K without buffering issues.
- Unblocking capabilities with top streaming sites — Streaming services usually block your access to their services if your VPN is detected. For this reason, you should choose a VPN that has been tested with various streaming services.
- Large server network — A bigger network of servers helps prevent overcrowding, which can slow down your streams and cause annoying buffering.
- Strong security and data privacy — In addition to their ability to unblock streaming services, a VPN keeps your data and browsing activities private. Choose a provider with military-grade (256-bit) encryption and a zero-logs policy that ensures your data remains anonymous.
- Fast customer support — Make sure you find a provider with responsive customer support, preferably with a 24/7 live chat option.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Samsung Smart TV?
Unfortunately, you can’t use a free VPN with a Smart TV if you want to unblock streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. Even though there are some pretty good free VPNs out there, these services usually block VPNs — and you won’t find a free VPN that can keep up with the constant blacklisting of new IP addresses. If you use a free VPN for Netflix, you’ll generally receive the annoying proxy error when you try streaming.
If you find a free VPN that can unblock the service you’re interested in, these services usually suffer from slow speeds, limited bandwidth, limited server selection, and other issues that cause lots of buffering lag and grainy video quality. Additionally, free VPNs can’t offer proper privacy and security, and others even sell your data.
If you want to see what shows and movies you can access when you stream with a VPN on your Smart TV, you can try one of the VPNs on this list for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I’ve tested the refund policies for each of these VPNs personally, and they all refund your money as late as the last day of the trial period. When I was done using NordVPN with my Smart TV and contacted live chat to get my money back, my request was processed in a minute. Then the money was in my bank account in less than a week.
FAQ: Using Samsung Smart TVs With VPNs
🤩 Which Smart TV apps can a VPN help me unblock?
As long as your VPN is capable of unblocking streaming services, then the possibilities should be endless. All you need to do is connect your VPN to a region where the service you need to access is offered. For example, if you want to use Hulu on your Smart TV, connect to a US VPN server that isn’t blocked, and you’ll gain access.
Here’s a list of the most popular services that you can unblock with a VPN:
TV, Movies, and News
|Netflix||Amazon Prime Video||Disney+||ITV Hub|
|Hulu||Sky Go||Vudu||YouTube TV|
|HBO||BBC iPlayer||Apple TV+||Sling TV|
|DAZN||ESPN||The Tennis Channel|
😎 How can I watch Netflix on my Smart TV with a VPN?
To watch Netflix on your Smart TV with a VPN, just follow these steps:
😅 What if I get an IP proxy error while trying to watch Samsung Smart TV apps with a VPN?
To avoid Netflix’s proxy IP error or if you get an IP error in another app, try changing a different VPN server. This is because streaming apps actively block VPNs and add detected servers to their block lists all the time. Another option is to use standalone Smart DNS services, which allows you to watch titles from anywhere without having to encrypt your online traffic. This doesn’t affect your speeds and still bypasses proxy errors on streaming apps — the problem is, streaming services are constantly blocking DNS proxies. Worse yet, DNS proxies don’t secure your connection or protect your privacy with encryption like VPNs do.
Get More Out of Your Samsung Smart TV With a VPN
If you pay a subscription fee every month for Smart TV streaming services, you should have access to all the available content. That’s why it’s well worth the effort to use a VPN to give yourself access to a whole world of shows and movies.
As an added bonus, your Samsung Smart TV will be much more secure, keeping your logins private and protecting you from hackers. Between its super reliable connections, streaming app compatibility, and top-notch security, NordVPN is the provider I rely on for my Samsung Smart TV. You can also try NordVPN free for 30 days — if there’s something you don’t like, you can just get a refund.