How to Remove Search Marquis From Mac (2022 Guide)
If you suspect Search Marquis has infected your Mac, you should immediately scan your Mac with a trusted antivirus program. This allows you to quickly find and remove the Search Marquis files from your Mac, as well as hard-to-detect threats like rootkits, worms, and spyware. You can then restore your browser settings to get rid of any trace of Search Marquis.
I tested over a dozen Mac antivirus programs, and Intego is the best macOS antivirus with a 100% detection rate for all types of malware (including Search Marquis). I strongly suggest you protect yourself from any further infections by keeping Intego’s real-time protection feature turned on at all times.
You can try Intego risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. I tested the refund policy for myself — it was easy and the money returned to my account in a week.
Easy Guide: How to Remove Search Marquis on Mac
- Get a Mac antivirus. Intego has a powerful malware scanner for removing Search Marquis on macOS.
- Run a full system scan. It takes at least 30 minutes to scan all your files and detect any hidden strains of malware.
- Delete Search Marquis from your Mac. Once the scan is complete, use Intego’s removal tools to get rid of all adware, spyware, and other malware.
- Remove the Search Marquis Extension. Your Mac is now malware-free, but there’s a chance your browser is still corrupted. Here’s how to restore your browser to its default state.
The Best Mac Antivirus to Remove Search Marquis (Tested in September 2022)
1. Intego — #1 Antivirus for Flagging and Removing All Types of Mac-Specific Malware (Including Search Marquis)
- Powerful antivirus engine protects you against Mac-specific threats
- Bonus features include Mac optimization tools, parental controls, and cloud backup
- App available for macOS 10.9 and later
- Customer assistance available over phone and live chat
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Intego is an antivirus specifically developed for macOS, so it’s no surprise that it’s adept at identifying and eliminating the Search Marquis virus. Intego enhances Apple’s already robust security features and even improved my Mac’s overall performance with its impressive suite of optimization tools.
You should start by performing a full scan to look for the Search Marquis file on your Mac (although there are also quick, custom, and scheduled scans available). Intego’s VirusBarrier malware scanner is fast and detected 100% of all malware samples in tests. Even more impressively, Intego accurately identified all infected files — there were no false positives.
A full scan takes around 30 minutes to complete, but it’s important that you run it to completion. When you stop a scan partway through, you may end up missing copies of Search Marquis or other viruses hiding on your Mac.
Once you’ve finished scanning your Mac with Intego, you’ll see a summary screen detailing any malware that was detected and quarantined. You can now permanently delete the Search Marquis file. I strongly recommend restarting your Mac and running another full system scan to ensure all malware is successfully removed, especially if you don’t regularly scan your Mac for infections.
Don’t take my word for it though — you can test Intego out for yourself risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee. This gives you a chance to see how well it performs against the Search Marquis virus before investing in your future protection. If you change your mind, you have up to 30 days to claim a refund.
- Great antivirus protection with impressive malware detection rates
- Bonus features include Mac optimization tools and VPN
- App available for macOS 10.9 and later
- Customer assistance available over phone, email, and live chat
- 14-day money-back guarantee
MacKeeper has an effective malware scanner and dedicated adware cleaner, which is ideal for getting rid of Search Marquis and any associated adware. You can run both the adware and malware scans at the same time — just launch the scans from the “Find and Fix” tab.
In tests, MacKeeper detected 100% of all malware strains in real time. When I ran a full system scan, all sample viruses, worms, trojans, and ransomware files were also flagged. Like Intego, the full scan was quick and only took around 30 minutes to complete. The adware scan was even faster at 5 minutes.
You can also access system cleaning and performance optimization tools, which boost your Mac’s overall speed. For ongoing data protection, there’s even ID theft protection (monitors data breaches on your behalf) and a VPN with unlimited bandwidth. I suggest you turn it on to encrypt your internet traffic at all times.
The only downside is that MacKeeper can’t detect rootkits — a rare strain of malware that’s very difficult for antivirus programs to find. I double-checked with the customer support team and as of September 2022, rootkit detection is unsupported.
Rootkit issue aside, MacKeeper is a well-rounded antivirus tool. You can try MacKeeper for yourself risk-free using its 14-day money-back guarantee. If you want a refund, just fill out a request form on the website. I tested it to make sure it works and I got my money back in only 3 days.
- Good defense against ransomware, spyware, adware, and more
- Includes a VPN, Mac cleanup tools, ad blocker, password manager, and more
- Supports macOS 10.9 or later
- Get help over live chat, email or phone
- 30-day money-back guarantee
TotalAV has an effective malware scanner for detecting and removing Search Marquis, but it stands out with its huge range of internet security features. This includes its WebShield filter that blocks suspicious websites, Browser Cleanup tool for deleting cookies, VPN, ad blocker, and password manager.
In tests, the Web Shield tool successfully blocked all the phishing links I tried and is a great supplemental security to Chrome, Firefox, and Safari’s built-in phishing protections. Meanwhile, Browser Cleanup provides an easy way to manage your online privacy by clearing all your cookies at once.
Although the real-time scanner only detected 99% of malware strains, TotalAV flagged 100% of all malware during a full scan. At the end of the scan, you’ll receive a detailed summary report with a list of malware to remove. This makes it easy to see if specific malware (such as Search Marquis) has infected your Mac and get rid of it immediately.
The VPN, ad blocker, and password manager package is only included in the top-tier Total Security plan. However, it’s risk-free to download TotalAV Total Security and test it on your own Mac with the 30-day money-back guarantee. You can easily get a refund within 30 days.
How to Get Rid of Search Marquis From Your Browser
To get rid of browser settings corrupted by Search Marquis, you’ll need to restore them to their default values.
- Open the browser and select Preferences from the drop-down Safari menu.
- Click the Advanced tab and check off the option “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”
- Go back to the Safari menu and click Develop (it should appear between Bookmarks and Window). Select Empty Caches from the drop-down list.
- Select History in the Safari menu and click Clear History from the drop-down list.
- Safari will display a dialog box with the message “Clearing history will remove related cookies and other website data.” For maximum effectiveness, I recommend selecting all history. Click Clear History to confirm.
- Return to Preferences and click the Privacy tab. Click Manage Website Data.
- A screen will open showing every website that has stored data about your internet activities. Note that if you remove website data, you may be logged out of some services and encounter other changes on those websites when you next visit them. You can remove websites individually but for best results, I recommend clicking Remove All.
- Return to Preferences once again and select the Extensions tab.
- Go through your extensions and deactivate any you don’t recognize or don’t trust by unchecking the box next to them. Be sure to remove any that correspond with Adobe Flash, as this is a common malware vector used by Search Marquis.
- Once you’ve deactivated extensions, click Uninstall to get rid of them (you can’t uninstall extensions without deactivating them first).
- Select the General tab under Preferences.
- Enter your preferred homepage in the Homepage field (Search Marquis may have changed it to Bing.com or another website).
- Restart Safari.
- Open Chrome and click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon (⁝) in the top-right of the browser window.
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click Advanced.
- Click Reset settings.
- A dialog box will appear. Note the warning about losing your pinned tabs and other settings. Click Reset settings.
- Return to your main browser window and click the Extensions button (puzzle piece icon) to the right of the search bar.
- Click Manage Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious extension, including any that mention Adobe Flash.
- Click the Customize icon (⁝) once again and select Settings.
- Select Search engine from the left-hand menu and enter your preferred search engine.
- Return to the Settings menu and select On Startup. Ensure that you don’t have Bing.com or another website selected by Search Marquis chosen.
- Relaunch Chrome to ensure your changes have taken effect.
- Open Firefox and type about: addons in the URL bar.
- Select Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious extensions by clicking the 3-dot icon next to it and selecting Remove.
- Type about: preferences in the URL bar. Reset the homepage and search engine as needed.
- Click the Settings menu (3 horizontal lines) in the top-right corner.
- Select Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
How to Remove Cached Files From Your Browser
Once you’ve cleared Search Marquis from your web browser, the next step is to remove all cached files from your system. This will ensure you get rid of cached Search Marquis files from your system and even give your Mac a performance boost at the same time.
You can also automate this step with the right antivirus software. For example, Intego has a feature called Washing Machine that scans your system for junk files, duplicates, cached files, and more.
- Select Develop from the main menu.
- Click Empty Caches.
- Open Settings.
- Click Privacy and Security > Clear Browsing Data.
- Click Firefox from the Menu bar and select Preferences.
- Select Privacy & Security.
- Under the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data…
- Check off Cached Web Content and click Clear. Be sure to uncheck Cookies and Site Data first if you don’t want to lose this data.
Prevent Your Mac From Getting Reinfected With Search Marquis and Other Malware
- Download an antivirus — This is not only useful for getting rid of viruses like Search Marquis, but preventing future infections as well. Intego offers real-time protection features to help keep your Mac safe from infections before it even happens.
- Regularly update your Mac — This includes not just OS updates, but software and drivers too. Apple regularly releases software updates to address vulnerabilities exploited by hackers. If you don’t regularly update your Mac, you leave it open to attack.
- Avoid suspicious links and files — You can avoid the majority of these threats by not clicking on anything that looks the least bit suspicious. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to tell whether an email is legitimate but a trusted antivirus will scan emails and downloads for malicious software for you.
- Secure your wireless network and IoT devices — Securing your Mac is important, but you should also take steps to secure your entire network against malware infections. This includes such actions as setting complex passwords on your home wireless network and various internet of things (IoT) devices, as well as using a network firewall.
FAQs: Search Marquis
Is Search Marquis dangerous?
Yes. This type of virus is a browser hijacker — and unless you detect and remove Search Marquis with a reputable antivirus program, then you’re hosting malware on your Mac and exposing your personal information to malicious hackers. Avoid clicking on any of the shady websites you’re being redirected to, including all ads, videos, banners, and links. You run the risk of injecting even more malware onto your Mac.
How do I remove Search Marquis?
The easy and quick way is to download a quality Mac antivirus program — it does the hard work for you by scanning your entire device. It not only finds out where Search Marquis is hidden, but it also detects any other adware, spyware, trackers, trojans, or viruses that you’ve accidentally installed onto your Mac.
This is very common with Search Marquis, as the virus bombards your Mac with malware-packed links and pop-ups. As soon as you click, you’ve just infected your Mac with even more malware.
If you’ve already removed all malware strains from your Mac with an antivirus, you still need to reset your browser and remove all cached files. I’ve outlined easy-to-follow instructions for Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
What is Search Marquis?
Search Marquis is a Mac virus that hijacks your browser, forcing endless redirects to phishing websites before leading you to Bing. Hackers make money by exposing you to these shady sites hosting pop-up ads, videos, and links. Don’t click on anything — you’ll end up injecting more malware onto your Mac, which collects and shares your user data with hackers.
Once you’ve infected your Mac with the Search Marquis virus, your browser may slow down or completely crash. You might even struggle to launch other apps and programs. If this is the case, you should get a trustworthy antivirus and immediately run a full disk scan. Is this the best way to accurately detect the location of the Search Marquis virus, as well as any other strains of malware that you’ve accidentally downloaded.
Important! Don’t connect your smartphone, tablet, USB drive, or other external device to your Mac. If you do, you risk Search Marquis and other viruses spreading to these devices.
Get Rid of Search Marquis With a Trusted Antivirus
Safeguarding your internet browsing requires some effort, especially with sophisticated malware threats like Search Marquis being weaponized by resourceful hackers. Fortunately, a trusted Mac antivirus is an easy and effective way to defend your Mac against Search Marquis and other threats.
While there are several antivirus programs I trust to protect my Mac, Intego ranks as the best Mac antivirus service on the market. It offers a fantastic macOS-optimized app, excellent value for money, and suite of powerful security and performance optimization features. Best of all, Intego is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free. If you decide it’s not the right fit for you, you can easily request a refund through Intego’s live customer support chat.