How to Change Playstation Region & Country (Tested November 2019)Last Updated by Gray Williams on June 04, 2019
Every PS Store region has different apps and games available, and specific downloadable content is region-locked, so you can’t continue with it if you relocate. Regional settings can also lead to issues with payment methods like gift cards and credit cards, as they can also region-locked.
Additionally, the United States PS Store features apps like Vudu, HBO Go, Hulu, and Netflix, and to install these apps on PlayStation, and you need an American PS Store account.
How to Create a US PSN Account
- Head to the PlayStation website.
- When you fill out your information, you’ll want to select the US in the Country/Region section.
Important – Once you set this up, you won’t be able to change it.
- If you want to set your location to the United States, go ahead and use California for your state and 90210 for the zip code. If you prefer to access UK for apps like Sky Go or BBC iPlayer, you’ll want to set your account to the UK instead.
- Once you’ve finished creating the account, you’ll receive an e-mail confirming the information.
Create Account on PS4
- To create the new PS Network account on PS4, log out of your current account and select, “Create New User.”
- Follow the instructions listed above to set up your new account.
- You’ll have to use a PayPal account or credit card to fill the PS Wallet as PSN gift cards are region-restricted. If you want to access the American PSN, you need American gift cards. Thankfully, eBay and Amazon sell these digital cards.
Create Account on PS3
- Head to the icon far left of the menu and select, “Create New User.”
- Choose a new username. Keep in mind; this doesn’t need to be the same as the account name you choose.
- Log in with the new account.
- Once you’re logged in, head to the “PlayStation Network” icon located on the XMB and select, “Sign Up.”
- In the window that appears, choose “Create a New Account (New Users).”
- Select “Country of Residence” from the drop-down menu and enter your date of birth.
- Make sure you agree with the licensing agreement and submit your e-mail address. Use an alternative e-mail address to the one already linked to a PSN account.
- Enter your password and confirm it; this must be at least eight letters long and feature one number.
- Create a PlayStation Network ID – this is your username. Remember when you enter a zip code it must relate to the region you want to unlock.
Download Games from the PS4 Library
- From your home screen, go to the Library and select the “Purchased” folder.
- Choose the game you want to download. The add-ons are found in each game’s sub-section.
- Choose “Download” on the content screen.
- To check on the progress, head to “Notifications -> Downloads.”
For specific games, you can begin playing after a certain percentage is downloaded. With this function, you choose what part of the game you wish to download first as the remainder downloads in the background.
How to Switch PS4/PS3 Region & Country
If you move or travel to a different country and purchase a game, you’ll want to ensure that the disc works. Most Sony consoles and games fall under a regional group: SCEA is Sony Computer Entertainment of America, and SCEE is Sony Computer Entertainment of Europe; these are the two largest.
Technically, PS4 isn’t a region-locked device, however, for the best performance, Sony recommends you use consoles and discs from the appropriate region.
When you create your PSN Online ID, this is most often tied to your console region as well. There’s always a chance that a disc from a different region will work fine, but most times users face issues.
If you want to play a Blu-Ray/DVD, you can manually change the compatible region for your console up to four times. After this, it will permanently remain in the last region you selected.
Unblock American/UK Channels on PS3/PS4
To get the most out of your PS3/PS4 streaming experience you will want to get a VPN. This gives you access to channels that aren’t available in your country. Whether you’re in the UK and want to watch HBO, or in the US and want to use the BBC iPlayer, a VPN will assign an IP address based on where the server you connect with, as opposed to your actual location. Some of the apps that this work with are:
and much more!
Using a VPN with Your PS4
To pick the best VPN provider, make sure they have an extensive list of servers, fast connection speeds, and unlimited bandwidth, as these are essential aspects of using a VPN and PlayStation console together.
Best VPNs for PS3/PS4
Attempting to change regions for your PS3 and PS4 seems like a daunting task at first, but with a little effort, you’ll be able to work around it.
Follow the steps we outlined above and gain access to more of the content you want.