5 Best VPNs for Hulu in 2022 (Works With Live TV)
Only selected VPNs still work with Hulu in 2022. That’s because Hulu regularly tightens its restrictions and blocks an increasing number of VPNs, leaving you unable to keep up with the shows you’re paying for.
I tested over 60 VPNs and ExpressVPN ranked as the top choice for watching Hulu on-demand and live. I was impressed by the blazing-fast speeds on its US servers, which resulted in no buffering or lag while streaming.
It’s also backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can use ExpressVPN with Hulu risk-free. If you change your mind, you can easily get a refund without any hassle. I tested this myself and it only took ac couple of minutes to get my refund approved over the 24/7 live chat service. The money was returned to my account in 4 days.
Note: Connecting to a VPN doesn’t give you the right to participate in illegal activities or go against Hulu’s Terms and Conditions. Make sure to check local laws and your streaming Terms and Conditions before watching any shows.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs for Hulu in 2022
- ExpressVPN — Excellent speeds for streaming Hulu on any US server in HD. Try ExpressVPN with Hulu risk-free!
- CyberGhost — Servers optimized specifically for Hulu, but it takes a few clicks to navigate to the right server in the app.
- Private Internet Access — Huge network of US servers for watching Hulu, but not as fast as ExpressVPN or CyberGhost.
- PrivateVPN — Affordable VPN for Hulu, but tiny server network results in slow speeds and limited US server locations.
- IPVanish — Allows unlimited simultaneous connections, but prices increase after the first year.
The Best VPNs for Hulu (Tested in September 2022)
- 3000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Ultra-fast speeds on every connection to prevent lags and buffering
- Works on 5 devices at the same time
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN offers the best speeds for Hulu of any VPN I tested. I connected to multiple US servers and impressively, my speed only slowed down by a tiny 5% on average. This is an unnoticeable difference. All Hulu streams loaded in under 4 seconds without further buffering during the entire video.
Better still, my team and I tested the US servers and found ExpressVPN works with Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, YouTube TV, SlingTV, ESPN+, DAZN, and plenty more US-based streaming sites.
You don’t even have to connect to a specific server — any server in the US worked during tests. In fact, ExpressVPN has very user-friendly apps for Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, routers, and other devices (plus a browser extension for Chrome and Firefox). I could even create a Hulu shortcut within the desktop app. This unique feature allows for fast access to the streaming platform as soon as you set up a US server connection.
There’s also a MediaStreamer feature that lets you set up ExpressVPN on smart TVs and game consoles. Once installed, you can watch Hulu on those devices.
ExpressVPN offers a great value for money you won’t get with many other services. Plus, you can currently save up to 49% when you choose the 1-year plan.
You can get ExpressVPN with confidence as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. The policy lets you use ExpressVPN with Hulu risk-free and get a refund if it doesn’t satisfy your needs. The refund process takes less than 2 minutes. After connecting to the 24/7 live chat, the ExpressVPN agent approved my request without trying to convince me to keep my account. I received my money back in my bank account within 4 days.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, fuboTV, hayu, YouTube TV, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, PlayStation, Xbox, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 8200+ servers in 91+ countries
- Servers optimized for streaming Hulu in UltraHD and HD
- Watch Hulu on up to 7 devices at once
- Offers 24/7 live chat and email support
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost has servers optimized specifically for watching Hulu on desktop, mobile, Android TV, and Amazon Fire Stick. An in-house team regularly checks if the Hulu servers can reliably connect, ensuring you’ve always got a working connection.
In tests, I found that CyberGhost’s streaming servers have great speeds for watching Hulu with minimal buffering and no lag. My traffic was only 12% slower than my base network when I connected to the Hulu servers, which is low enough to avoid in-stream interruptions.
To find the Hulu-optimized server, click on the For Streaming tab and type “Hulu” in the search bar. You’ll see all the streaming servers displayed in a list. Double-click on a server and you’ll connect in a few seconds. To avoid manually searching for the server next time, I suggest you add the Hulu-optimized server to your Favorites list.
The 3-year plan offers the best value for money at only $2.19 per month. You don’t have to worry about being locked into a subscription either as you can take advantage of the money-back guarantee and try CyberGhost with Hulu risk-free for 45 days.
The 45-day money-back guarantee lets you get a refund without a fuss (as long as you reach out to customer service before the end of the 45 days). I watched an entire season of Modern Family before asking a CyberGhost live chat agent for my money back. The agent didn’t ask me to explain why I wanted to cancel and I received the refund a week later.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, fuboTV, hayu, and more.
CyberGhost works on: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 82%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 35000+ servers in 84+ countries
- Good speeds for streaming TV shows and movies on Hulu in HD
- Connect even 10 devices simultaneously
- Support available 24/7 through live chat and email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) has over 5500 servers in the US and 35000+ servers worldwide. I found that Washington DC servers provided me with the best speeds that allowed for streaming at FullHD resolution. Other US connections, like New York and LA, also have zero issues with providing seamless Hulu streams.
You can download plugins for Chrome and Firefox to access Hulu within your browser. The extensions come with an extensive server list in the US and all connections provided me with good speeds. This is useful if you don’t want to change the IP address on your whole device, but still wish to use your Hulu account with minimal interruptions.
You can choose between a 1-month, 1-year, and 2-year subscription, although the 2-year subscription gives you the lowest monthly price. It comes down to just $2.19 per month, which makes PIA an extremely affordable premium VPN.
It’s risk-free to put PIA to the test with Hulu on your devices with its 30-day money-back guarantee. As long as you explain why you want to cancel (I said I couldn’t afford the subscription anymore), the live chat agent will approve your refund in less than 30 seconds. I received the money back within 10 business days.
PIA also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, fuboTV, hayu, and more.
PIA works on: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, smart TVs, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 81% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 200+ servers in 63+ countries
- Reliable speeds for enjoying bufferless shows on Hulu
- Works on 10 devices at once
- Comes with 24/7 customer service available through live chat and email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN is the most budget-friendly VPN for Hulu. However, speeds are slower due to PrivateVPN’s small server network. This can also limit which local TV channels you can watch live on Hulu, since not all regions in the US are covered by the server network.
Luckily, this doesn’t have any impact on what on-demand content you can access. My team and I tested Hulu with PrivateVPN’s US servers, and it worked every time.
It’s easy to start watching Hulu straightaway with the user-friendly app. The app has a Simple View option, which allows for only 2 buttons to appear on the main interface. First, select your server, then tap the On button to set up your connection. PrivateVPN chooses the best settings for you as your connection is turning on.
PrivateVPN is the most affordable VPN on the list at only $2.00 per month on the 3-year plan. There are also short-term plans available and PrivateVPN has one of the cheapest monthly plans on the market.
Since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can stream Hulu from anywhere with PrivateVPN risk-free and get a full refund if you don’t like it. When I tested this myself, the support agent approved my refund in 5 minutes and the money was back in my bank after 6 business days.
PrivateVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Sling TV, fuboTV, hayu, and more.
PrivateVPN works on: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, smart TVs, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! PrivateVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2 per month with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 85%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 2000+ servers in 75+ countries
- Good speeds no matter how many devices you want to watch Hulu on
- Supports unlimited simultaneous device connections
- Live chat and email support are available 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee
IPVanish lets you connect unlimited devices at once. This means you can use multiple devices at once — for instance, you can watch Hulu on your desktop while connected through a VPN server on your smartphone. It’s a great feature if you like multitasking while streaming your favorite shows and movies.
IPVanish’s detailed interface shows ping and user load for each US location. It’s perfect for avoiding in-stream buffering and lag, especially if you’re watching Hulu during peak hours.
There are plenty of plans on offer ranging from 1 month, 3 months, and 1 year. However, the 1-year plan offers the best value as you can save 69% and pay only $3.33 per month. Unfortunately, prices jump up after your first subscription year.
You can try IPVanish with Hulu risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t want to keep it, you can get a full refund by filling out an online form on the website. You don’t even need to speak to anyone. I got my money back in just 5 business days after I requested it.
IPVanish also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Sling TV, fuboTV, hayu, and more.
IPVanish works on: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, routers, and more.
Comparison Table: 2022’s Best VPNs for Hulu
|Lowest Monthly Price||$6.67||$2.19||$2.19||$2.00||$3.33|
|30 days||45 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
Warning! None of These VPNs Work With Hulu in 2022
Hulu regularly blacklists new VPNs (including top services on the market), so most VPNs don’t work with the platform anymore — even if they used to in the past. During testing, the VPNs below proved to lack the appropriate technology needed to compete with Hulu’s updates:
Quick Guide: 3 Easy Steps To Use a VPN to Watch Hulu
- Download a VPN. ExpressVPN is a great choice for Hulu as its fast speeds let you watch shows and movies without interruptions
- Connect to a server. Choose a US server closest to your physical location for the fastest possible speeds.
- Launch Hulu. Simply log in to your account or subscribe to Hulu.
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Watch Hulu and Hulu Live TV From Anywhere
How to Download the Hulu App Abroad on Your iOS Device
- Connect to a VPN server in the US.
- Log in to your US Apple ID or create a new one set to the US. This is the only way to avoid losing your current subscriptions and app purchases.
- Make sure your region is set to the US and you have a local payment method. Hulu only accepts US credit cards or PayPal payments.
- Open the App Store and download Hulu.
- Once it’s done, open the Hulu app and log in to your account or set up a new subscription.
- That’s it! Now you can start streaming your favorite shows and movies on Hulu on your iOS device.
How to Get the Hulu App on Android When You Travel
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server.
- Sign in to your Google Play account or set up a new profile. Just remember to set your location as the US.
- Visit pay.google.com and check you have a US payment method and zip code. This information is available in your account settings.
- Force stop Google Play on your Android device. To do so, go into your device’s Settings > Apps > Google Play and tap “Force Stop.”
- Open Google Play, search for the Hulu app, and press “Download.”
- After the app downloads, log in to your streaming account on Hulu or create a new one.
- Select the show you want to watch from Hulu’s library and start streaming!
Alternatively, you can download Hulu on Android through an APK file from a third party. Before you start, you have to enable downloads from unknown sources in your device’s settings — otherwise, Android will block the file.
You should also never download Hulu APK files without an active VPN connection as many third-party APK sites contain malware that could expose your data. When the download finishes, tap on the file to prompt the app installation and start streaming Hulu exclusives.
How I Tested and Ranked the Best Hulu VPN
Out of all the VPNs out there, only selected ones actually work with Hulu. To pinpoint the best services for Hulu, I tested over 65 top VPNs on the market against these strict criteria:
- Big server network worldwide, with multiple servers in the US for accessing your local Hulu library without sudden slowdowns and quality drops.
- Secure and reliable access to Hulu, so you don’t have to deal with streaming errors when you travel for business or personal purposes.
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth to watch as many shows on Hulu as you want in high quality and with no stuttering.
- Broad streaming device compatibility, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firestick, routers, and more.
- Responsive 24/7 customer service for getting help with logging into Hulu whenever you need it.
- Money-back guarantee, so you can try the VPNs with Hulu without any risk.
FAQs on Watching Hulu With VPNs
Can I use a free VPN to watch Hulu?
Sadly, no. I found that even the best free VPNs don’t have the resources to reliably unblock Hulu. With a smaller database of IP addresses and mediocre security, free VPNs don’t effectively change your location — so you’ll see Hulu’s connection error when you use them.
If you somehow find a free VPN that works with Hulu, your streaming experience will most likely be very frustrating. Free VPNs have fewer servers than paid competitors, which results in overcrowded and slow connections. This leads to high stream pixelation, buffering, lags, and extended loading times.
Worse yet, many free VPNs make a profit by collecting and selling your private information (including full name, address, and location). This practice can put you at risk of various scams, data theft, and cyberattacks.
You shouldn’t pay for a free VPN with your personal data. Instead, I recommend you use CyberGhost to watch Hulu for free for 45 days. The money-back guarantee lets you get a full refund if you don’t like the VPN. Just connect to the 24/7 live chat and cancel your account before the policy runs out — it’s that simple! I had my money back within 7 business days.
How can I access Hulu from another country?
All you need to do to access Hulu from another country is to get a top streaming VPN and connect to a server in the US — it’s that simple! This will give you a local IP address letting you log back into your Hulu account when you go on a business trip or holiday abroad. Keep in mind though that using a VPN to watch Hulu from a country where you didn’t establish your account may be against the platform’s Terms and Conditions.
Even though Hulu is available in Japan, it operates as a separate service. This means that even if you have a US account, you won’t be able to use it without a VPN when you visit Japan. Vice versa, Japanese residents won’t be able to access their usual Hulu content without connecting to a VPN server in Japan when traveling through the US.
Can I use a VPN to fix the Hulu home location error?
Yes, but you need to get a VPN with dedicated IP addresses to get the same combination every time you connect to a US server. Normally, VPNs randomly assign you a different IP whenever you set up your connection, which can trigger Hulu to generate the home location error:
It seems like you’re not at home. Your current ZIP code and IP address don’t match the location of your home. Due to streaming rights, watching on this device outside of your home network isn’t available.
Using the same IP address every time you log in to Hulu minimizes the possibility of encountering the home error. Luckily, CyberGhost offers dedicated IP addresses at a small extra cost.
Alternatively, you can fix the problem by changing your home network in your Hulu account. To do so, you need to log out of your account and use a streaming device (like a gaming console or a smart TV) to sign back into Hulu. Then, tap on Privacy and Settings and update your location in Set or Change Home Network.
Hulu allows you to adjust your home location up to 4 times per year. Just remember you’ll need to change it back when you come back from your travels, so each trip will require you to update your network twice.
How does Hulu know I’m using a VPN?
Hulu may recognize you’re using a VPN if its IP address was flagged as a suspicious connection. The platform determines this by checking how many viewers are using the same IP at once. This is usually a good indication that your connection originates from a VPN server, so Hulu automatically prompts the P-EDU101 error code:
It looks like you’re using an anonymous proxy or a VPN.
You’ll need to disable it to watch Hulu.
The streaming site also checks for discrepancies between your IP address and DNS servers. Depending on which VPN you use, it may struggle to assign you a DNS server that matches the location of your IP address.
For example, connecting to a VPN server in the US gives you a US location, but you may still accidentally connect to a UK DNS server. It’s a clear indication that you’re using a service that alters your location, so Hulu immediately blocks your traffic.
Both issues can be fixed with a reputable VPN for Hulu. All VPNs in the list protect their IP addresses by keeping them completely private. They also regularly check their servers and update available IPs and DNS connections to make sure you can always access your Hulu account. Plus, you can get ExpressVPN for Hulu in confidence as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why isn’t my VPN working with Hulu?
If your VPN isn’t working with Hulu, it may mean that the platform blacklisted its IP address. This often happens to free or mid-range VPNs with fewer IP addresses in their databases, so choose a VPN with multiple servers in the US to reduce the chances of being blocked.
If you still can’t access Hulu, you should:
- Reconnect to a different server. This will reassign your device with a new IP address that’s less likely to be blocked by Hulu.
- Delete your cookies and cache. These store trackers within your browser may sometimes reveal your original IP address when you try to open Hulu.
- Use ipleak.net to check for IP and DNS leaks. The website is free to use and it’ll instantly show you whether your VPN is leaking your location details.
- Get a VPN with IPv6 leak protection. This will ensure that your device won’t reveal your details outside of your server connection. You also won’t have to fumble with buttons to disable IPv6 in your device’s settings.
- Enable Smart DNS if your VPN offers it. That way you’ll be able to change your DNS server location to the US, so Hulu won’t be able to recognize you’re connecting from abroad.
- Reach out to your VPN’s customer support. A knowledgeable agent will walk you through all possible troubleshooting options and recommend specific servers that work with Hulu.
If you go through all possible solutions and still can’t log in to Hulu, you should sign up for a new VPN that has proved to work with the platform. To not waste any of your time, I recommend you try ExpressVPN for instant access to your Hulu account. The VPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee too, so you can get a full refund if you change your mind.
How can I pay for Hulu outside the US?
First, you need to download a secure VPN that works with Hulu to get a US IP address. Without it, you won’t even be able to check Hulu’s subscription plans. Then you have to use your US credit card or PayPal account and home zip code (like 86556) to subscribe.
If your US credit card expires, gets lost, or is stolen when you’re working or traveling abroad, you can still pay for Hulu with:
- A valid Hulu gift card purchased directly from the streaming platform or a third-party seller, like MyGiftCardSupply or GiftCards.
- A StatePay account, which will give you a virtual credit card for around $4 per month. However, sometimes the service doesn’t accept new subscribers, so you may not always be able to use it.
- Prepaid Visa, MasterCard, AmericanExpress, or Discover cards. You’ll need to use your US home address to set it up.
- Set up a US PayPal account. Even if your current account is linked to a different country, you can adjust it to your new US address in profile settings.
How come Hulu is so slow when connected to a VPN?
Connecting to a VPN to watch Hulu typically slows down your traffic to reroute it through an independent server. Depending on your base traffic and your chosen VPN, this may cause increased loading times, lagging, and buffering on Hulu.
Luckily, all VPNs recommended above cause a rather insignificant speed difference that should still let you watch Hulu without problems. If your WiFi network isn’t very fast, I recommend you download ExpressVPN as it provided me with the smallest speed drop on its US servers. You can even test ExpressVPN with Hulu risk-free yourself. If your streams are still too slow, you have up to 30 days to request a refund.
Can I watch Hulu on my Smart TV or a gaming console with a VPN?
Yes, but you need to choose a VPN with Smart DNS. That’s because many smart TVs, gaming consoles, and casting devices don’t support native VPN apps. Setting up Smart DNS lets you connect all devices on the same WiFi to a US server just by entering a special code within their settings.
At first, this process seemed complicated, but I found that ExpressVPN has easy step-by-step instructions on how to use MediaStreamer — its own Smart DNS feature. This lets me select the correct guide for my device and configure everything in less than 3 minutes. As soon as it was done, I could use Hulu on Chromecast, AppleTV, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, Firestick, Xfinity, Roku, LG TV, Samsung TV, and more.
If your chosen VPN doesn’t come with Smart DNS, you can still try to use it to watch Hulu on Smart TVs or gaming consoles by installing it on your home router. However, your VPN needs to be compatible with router installation (which not many VPNs offer). This method also won’t work if you’re logging into Hulu from a hotel or airport as you won’t be able to change WiFi settings there.
Is it legal to watch Hulu with VPN?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN to watch Hulu, but it can be complicated. Hulu states that you can’t use software to deliberately bypass geo-restrictions. While this doesn’t specifically mention VPNs, you might be breaking the platform’s T&Cs when you use it to access your account when you travel. There’s been no record of Hulu actively chasing its users for connecting to their accounts with a VPN though. If the platform discovers you’re using a VPN, it’ll most likely block you with a streaming error.
Only a few countries, like China and North Korea, ban VPNs — so you won’t be able to watch Hulu from there. Check local rules before you travel to make sure you’re not breaking the law.
Which VPN location is the best for Hulu?
This depends on where you are as you’ll get the best speeds for Hulu when you connect to a VPN server as close to your physical location as possible. Many VPNs on the list can automatically find the best location for Hulu for you as long as you tap on the US as your selected country.
To check how fast your connection is, ExpressVPN comes with a built-in speed test. This allows you to run checks from the VPN app and get almost instant results. I found ExpressVPN always connected me to the fastest server, so I didn’t have to worry about manually reconnecting.
You can test ExpressVPN’s servers for Hulu risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. That way you can get a refund if you’re not happy with its server speeds.
Can I watch Hulu with a proxy instead of a VPN?
Yes, but online proxies don’t work as well as top VPNs for Hulu. Most proxies don’t provide the anonymity needed to log in to your streaming account as they don’t protect your whole traffic, which allows for accidental data leaks. They also don’t have as many IP addresses as VPNs and often make them public by using widely-available online databases. This allows Hulu to blacklist them and block you with a proxy error.
If you don’t want to download a VPN app, ExpressVPN has a browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. You can connect to a US server directly from your browser and start watching Hulu.
Start Watching Hulu (+ Live TV) Today!
Hulu isn’t the cheapest subscription service, so it’s frustrating to lose access to the account you pay for whenever you travel abroad. Since not all VPNs work with the platform though, you need a trustworthy and reliable service — otherwise, you’ll waste money on another subscription.
Fortunately, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Hulu and it has reliable US servers and fast speeds. It’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you’re not happy with it, you can easily request a refund.