12 Best VPN Free Trials to Download 2021 (+ How To Cancel)Last Updated by Mackenzie Pringle on January 21, 2021
Here’s a painful fact I learnt: VPN free trials and money-back guarantees aren’t always as free as they appear to be. I’ve tested over 40 VPNs and more than once, my “free trial” ended before the advertised time period and I was charged because I hit the data cap I wasn’t even aware of! Some are so limiting — throttling speed or only letting you connect to 1 server — it’s impossible to get an accurate idea of how well the VPN will work for you.
In addition, some VPN free trials are only available for 24 hours, which is so short it’s impossible to properly test all its features. Many of the top VPN services offer a money-back guarantee instead. This means you have to pay upfront, but the service will give you a full refund as long as you request one within the guarantee period.
I’ve done the hard work for you and tested dozens of free trials and money-back guarantees to find genuine, reliable, and secure services that you can trust. My top choice, NordVPN, has a tried-and-tested refund guarantee that is processed quickly and easily — which means you can try it for a full 30 days risk-free. After I asked for a refund via the 24/7 live chat, I got my money back in my bank account within 4 days.
Quick Guide: Best Free Trial VPNs — With Tested Money-Back Guarantees
- NordVPN — #1 VPN with the best money-back guarantee — unlimited access to fast servers, no data cap, and you can try it risk-free for 30 days (getting a refund is easy — I got my money back within 4 days!)
- ExpressVPN — ”No questions asked” 30-day money-back guarantee and unlimited access to VPN features, but higher price than some other services.
- CyberGhost — Has a long 45-day money-back guarantee and optimized servers for streaming and torrenting, but doesn’t work consistently in China.
- Surfshark — Unlimited device connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee, but has a more costly month-to-month plan.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to try premium security features but can’t always unblock streaming sites.
- PrivateVPN — Works in countries with strict internet censorship like China, Russia and Iran, but 7-day free trial is shorter than other VPNs.
- VyprVPN — 30-day money-back guarantee and Chameleon Protocol lets you get around geo-blocks, but not as fast as other VPN services.
- IPVanish — Hassle-free refund policy and a 30-day money-back guarantee, but can’t unblock geo-restrictions on Netflix.
- ZenMate — 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee, but can’t get a refund if you use Bitcoin.
- SaferVPN — 24-hour free trial and easy-to-use interface, but customer service can’t solve technical issues easily.
- Hotspot Shield — 7-day free trial and fast speeds for streaming and downloading, but shares some data with advertisers.
- HMA (HideMyAss) VPN — 7-day free trial and unique IP Shuffle feature protects you from hackers, but you can only use 10GB of bandwidth during trial.
12 Best VPN Free Trials in January 2021
- 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- Unlimited access to all features during trial
- 5,000+ servers in 59 countries for super-fast connections worldwide
- Military-grade encryption, CyberSec malware protection, and kill switch ensure data security
- 24/7 customer support available to process refund requests quickly
NordVPN is the top overall choice for its fast speeds and high-quality security features. I like to thoroughly test a VPN before I subscribe and NordVPN’s generous 30-day money-back guarantee meant I had unlimited access to every feature, including its network of over 5,000 servers worldwide, lightning-fast speeds, and CyberSec malware protection.
Although I needed to pay upfront to use NordVPN’s free trial, getting my money back was hassle-free. I signed up for a plan and used NordVPN every day for 29 days. Then I contacted customer service using the live chat function on the website and was connected to an agent in less than 2 minutes. They asked me to reconsider canceling my subscription, but I confirmed my refund request and the agent processed it quickly and politely. I had the money back in my account within 4 days!
NordVPN’s free trial gives you a month to enjoy its state-of-the-art security features. Its military-grade encryption keeps your connection protected from any hackers, spies, or government agents. In addition, I really like its Cybersec malware protection, which prevented annoying pop-up ads from spoiling my browsing and streaming and stopped me from clicking into a website that was hosting malware.
Since NordVPN’s free trial has no limitations on speed or bandwidth, you can use it to stream Netflix (and content on other sites) in UltraHD video quality. I tested 10 different servers in countries like the US, UK, Japan, Australia, Canada, and Germany and my speed never dropped below 25Mbps. This is particularly impressive when connecting to servers over 9,000 miles away!
NordVPN does offer a 7-day free trial for mobile, which you can access through the Google Play or Apple App Store. You still need to enter your credit card details but the money won’t be taken out of your account until the trial ends, and you’ll get an email notification letting you know of the upcoming charge.
However, this trial isn’t always active, and because it only works for mobile, you probably won’t be able to use it to experience all of NordVPN’s premium features. To thoroughly test it and see if it’s right for you, Take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee and try the service totally risk-free.
NordVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, DAZN, HBO Now, Sky Go, YouTube, Sling TV, fuboTV, Kodi, and more.
NordVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire devices, and routers.
January 2021 Update! For a limited time only, save 68% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 3 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- No limitations on features, speed or bandwidth during the trial period
- 3,000+ servers in 94 locations for fast connections to different countries
- Best-in-class encryption unblocks content
- 24/7 customer service available to process refunds easily
I was excited to take advantage of ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee as it’s one of the few VPNs that can consistently get around streaming services’ geo-blocking technology. Its guarantee period allows unlimited use of all its features, which means I could access thousands of servers in 94 locations and had uncapped bandwidth and speed. I could use ExpressVPN to stream content from around the world as much as I wanted.
In other words, with ExpressVPN’s free trial I was able to unblock a host of streaming sites including Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Amazon Prime for a whole month. I tested ExpressVPN’s unblocking ability by connecting to different server locations where these services are available, including the US, UK, Australia, and the Netherlands, and was impressed to find that every server got around any and all content blocks. I never had to waste time switching between servers to find one that worked.
Better still, ExpressVPN’s speeds were consistently fast across servers when I tested them. It didn’t matter if I was connected locally (32Mbps) or to a server in Japan, almost 6,000 miles away (30Mbps) — my speeds were always fast enough to stream in HD, download, and game without worrying about buffering. With these speeds, you can really watch as many of your favorite shows as you want for free for 30 days!
I needed to input my credit card details to take advantage of ExpressVPN for free for 30 days, so I put its “no questions asked” money-back policy to the test when my 30 days was nearly up. Most VPN customer service agents have asked me to reconsider canceling my subscription, but ExpressVPN didn’t. I requested a refund through the 24/7 live chat and it was processed straight away. I had my money back in less than a week!
The reason ExpressVPN ranks below NordVPN on this list is because of its slightly higher price tag. But since you don’t technically need to pay for your trial, it doesn’t really matter. The best way to see if a VPN is right for you is to test it yourself, and you can try ExpressVPN for 30 days risk-free with its money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, DAZN, Sling TV, fuboTV, HBO Now, Sky Go, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Blackberry, PlayStation, Xbox, and routers.
January 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 45-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- Use all features with no restrictions during the trial period
- 6,300+ servers in 90 countries provide fast global connections
- Military-grade encryption, kill switch, and no-logs policy protect your data
- 24/7 customer support available with live chat for fast refund process
CyberGhost gives you a very generous 45 days to test its optimized streaming and torrenting servers with no limitations or restrictions. As someone who streams a lot, it’s essential for me that a VPN can get around VPN-detecting technology on my favorite streaming sites like Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. With CyberGhost, all I had to do was click the “For Streaming” tab on the app and pick the service I wanted to use. Best of all, it never slowed my speeds when I streamed during the trial and I was able to watch my favorite shows in HD with no lag.
CyberGhost does require you to pay upfront to access its generous free trial, but it has a “no questions asked” refund policy. When I tested this, the customer service agent I talked to through the 24/7 live chat didn’t try to convince me to stay when I asked for my money back, so getting a full refund was very easy. It took me just 5 days to get my money back in my bank account.
It’s important to note that CyberGhost’s 45-day money-back guarantee is only available if you opt for a subscription of 6 months or longer. If you choose the 1-month subscription option, the money-back period is a much shorter 14 days. Given how easy it is to cancel and get your money back, my tip for you is to opt for the 6-months or longer subscription plans.
CyberGhost also has a 24-hours free trial available which you can use on your desktop without needing to enter any credit card details. However, in my experience, a single day really isn’t enough time to test a VPN and see if it’s right for you. I recommend you use it free for 45 days instead to ensure you have enough time to take advantage of all its features. You can rest assured knowing you can get a refund easily and whenever you want.
CyberGhost can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, DAZN, HBO Now, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Devices, Xbox, Playstation, and routers.
Holiday Sale! CyberGhost has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.25 per month + get an extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- Use all features with no limitations during the trial period
- 1,700+ servers in 63 countries offers fast global connections
- AES 256-GCM encryption, CleanWeb, and kill switch for data protection
- 24/7 customer support with email and live chat available for quick refunds
Surfshark’s free trial lets you protect as many devices as you want at the same time for 30 days. With other VPNs, I always had to choose which of my devices I wanted to protect, but with Surfshark, I could rest assured knowing all my devices were secured with military-grade encryption. Best of all, Surfshark’s trial doesn’t limit speeds at all, so even when I connected 8 devices simultaneously, I was still able to stream Netflix in UltraHD on all of them at once.
The VPN has a strict no-logs policy and has been independently audited by Cure53, which proved that it doesn’t store any personally identifying data or recorded activity. This way, you can rest assured your browsing history and information will stay safe with Surfshark.
You need to provide your credit card details to use Surfshark’s free trial, but getting your money back anytime is a breeze. When I put Surfshark’s money-back guarantee to the test, I contacted the live chat and requested a refund. I was answered promptly and had the money back in my account in 7 days — I didn’t even need to give a reason why I wanted to cancel!
Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial for mobile users, which you can access through the Google Play or Apple App Store. You will have to enter your credit card details to get the free trial, but you won’t be charged before the trial is up. However, since this is only available on mobile devices and for a short time period, you probably won’t be able to make the most of all of Surfshark’s features. I still recommend you try Surfshark risk-free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee.
Surfshark can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, DAZN, ESPN, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
Surfshark works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TVs, Chrome, Firefox, PlayStation, Xbox, and routers.
5. Private Internet Access (PIA) — 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee Lets You Test Premium Security and Privacy Features
- 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- No VPN limitations during the free trial period
- 2,600+ servers in 47 countries — fast connections worldwide
- Military-grade encryption, zero logging, and P2P-friendly servers
- 24/7 customer support with live chat makes it easy to get a refund
Private Internet Access (PIA) has a reputation for being extremely strict on security and privacy. Because of this, I was pleased to find I had 30 free days to use its premium features with no limitations to protect and encrypt my devices.
You can rest assured knowing that nothing you do on PIA during your free trial will be logged or accessible by government agents. PIA had previously had its servers seized by the Russian government, who demanded PIA start logging user activity. PIA’s response was to end operations in Russia — proving that when you connect to a PIA server, your personal data is totally safe and secure.
A minor con is that if you’re planning to use your free PIA trial to stream geo-blocked Netflix content, it might take a bit of time to get it to work. I struggled to connect to Netflix using PIA’s US, Japanese, and Australian servers, though locations close to me worked more easily. I was able to easily contact PIA through its 24/7 live chat, and the customer service agent I spoke to recommended trying different servers, which resolved the issue.
To access PIA’s 30-day money-back guarantee, you’ll need to pay upfront. Unlike other VPNs on this list, you need to email PIA’s customer support to request a refund rather than use its 24/7 live chat. Despite this, I had no issues getting my money back. It took less than 12 hours for PIA to respond to me via email and confirm my refund, and I got the money back in my account in less than a week.
PIA can unblock: Disney+, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, Sky Go, ESPN, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
PIA works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.
- 7-day free trial — payment details are required to use it
- No limitations on speed, bandwidth or features during the trial period
- 150+ servers in 60 countries — small but reliable network
- Military-grade encryption, zero logging, and P2P-friendly servers
- Customer support available through live chat (not 24/7) and email
If you’re going on a short trip to a country with restrictive internet access and want to use a VPN free trial to get around censorship, PrivateVPN is a great option. It is one of the few VPNs that are able to get around restrictive internet censorship in China, Turkey, Iran, and more. Its military-grade encryption, DNS and IP leak protection, and zero-logging policy mean that you can’t be spied on by government bodies, and there will be no records of your activity if PrivateVPN’s servers are ever seized by the authorities.
To get unlimited access to PrivateVPN’s features for free for 7 days, you’ll have to enter your payment details first. However, you won’t be charged if you cancel your subscription within the 7 days trial window.
When I tested this for myself, I found that PrivateVPN’s customer service wasn’t as seamless as other VPNs. The live chat isn’t 24/7, so be aware that if you want to cancel after using the trial, you’ll need to send an email several days in advance. It took 2 days for customer service to respond to my email request. Fortunately, I was able to talk to an agent through the live chat to make sure that my cancelation went through before I was charged.
In the past, PrivateVPN only granted a refund if you used less than 100GB of data. However, they have now removed this limitation. I was pleased when I found this out, as it meant I could take advantage of PrivateVPN’s reliable servers to get around geo-blocks on streaming sites and watch my favorite movies and TV shows.
PrivateVPN can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, DAZN, ESPN, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
PrivateVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee
- No limitations during the trial period means you can use all features as much as you want
- Over 700 servers spread out around the world
- High-end encryption, Chameleon protocol, and kill switch features protects your information
- Email ticketing and live chat lets you get your money back quickly
VyprVPN is a great choice if you’re looking for a VPN free trial that you can use to stream all your favorite shows for a month risk-free. Its Chameleon protocol can get around geo-blocks on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer easily. You won’t have to keep switching servers to find one that works, which makes it easy for you to start watching your favorite shows and movies.
To take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth of VyprVPN’s free trial, you need reliable speeds to stream your favorite shows. When I tested VyprVPN by connecting to a nearby UK server, my download speeds were over 30Mbps, which is fast enough for UltraHD streaming and browsing without lag. Connecting to a server further away in Australia, my speeds dropped to just over 12Mbps — not as good, but still fast enough to stream in HD.
There’s no need to worry about your data falling into the wrong hands when you’re using VyprVPN’s free trial. It has been independently audited by the Leviathan Security Group, which confirmed its zero-logs policy. Every site you visit, email you send, and file you download during your trial is totally secure.
You need to pay upfront to access VyprVPN’s unlimited 30-day money-back guarantee, but getting a full refund is easy. You first need to login to your account and cancel your subscription, then contact customer service through its 24/7 live chat function to request your refund. When I went through this process, I got my money back in less than 10 business days.
VyprVPN can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, ESPN, DAZN, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
VyprVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Smart TVs, and routers.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- All features are available during the guarantee period, no limitations
- Over 1,500 servers in 70+ locations for quick connections worldwide
- Military-grade security, zero-logs policy, kill switch, and leak protection ensure security
- 24/7 customer support through live chat and email ticketing
The refund process for IPVanish’s 30-day money-back guarantee is one of the easiest to navigate. Unlike most VPN money-back policies that require you to speak to a customer service representative or lodge complicated request forms, with IPVanish you just need to log into your account and click a couple of buttons to confirm you want to cancel your subscription. Your refund will then be processed automatically. I tested this process and found that my money was back in my account after another 7 days.
You have a limited time during a free trial to test your VPN, so you don’t want to waste more time than necessary trying different servers to find one that works and has good speed. IPVanish is great for this — its interface is designed to provide you with everything you need to choose the best server. With one glance you can find out the number of servers in a location, and how full the servers are.
A minor con of IPVanish is that it doesn’t reliably unblock geo-restricted exclusive Netflix content. If you want to take advantage of a VPN free trial to watch your favorite shows from around the world, I’d recommend NordVPN as it’s one of the few VPNs that can get around Netflix’s proxy error with ease.
IPVanish’s trial comes with no limitations or restrictions on bandwidth, which means you can stream, browse, and download as much as you want. Try IPVanish for 30-day risk-free for yourself.
IPVanish can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Now, DAZN, ESPN, Sling TV, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
IPVanish works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire devices, Chrome, and routers.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Access every VPN feature during the guarantee period
- 3,500+ servers in over 73 countries for global access to sites and services
- Best-in-class encryption, zero-logs policy, and unlimited devices for total protection
- 24/7 live chat makes it easy to get a refund quickly
ZenMate is one of the few VPNs that lets you use it for 7 days free without inputting any credit card details. This way, you don’t need to worry about accidentally forgetting to cancel your subscription and being charged.
In addition, it has a 30-day money-back policy that lets you test its features for longer risk-free. My tip is to take advantage of this to use its streaming and torrenting servers as much as you want for the month, as there’s no data or server limit. Its speeds are also fast enough to watch your favorite shows and movies in HD with minimal buffering.
You’ll need to enter your credit card details to access the money-back guarantee. Also, you need to cancel your subscription within the first 14 days through its website, but once you do you’ll be able to keep using the VPN for the rest of the 30 days. When I applied for a refund, I got my money back in my bank account in less than a week.
Zenmate also has a free version, however, this comes with serious limitations. Speeds are limited to 2Mbps and it only has 4 server options available. Because of how easy it is to get your money back using Zenmate’s premium plan, I’d strongly recommend you opt for its 30-day money-back guarantee instead to access superior features and speeds. Note that you cannot get a refund if you use Bitcoin, PaysafeCard, or UKash.
ZenMate can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
ZenMate works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Chromebook, Amazon Fire TV, Smart TVs, and Raspberry Pi.
- 24-hour free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee
- No limitations during free trial period
- 1,300+ servers in 50 countries for fast, global connections
- AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, and automatic WiFi security for data protection
- 24/7 customer service with live chat support for fast refunds
If you want to spend your free trial testing your VPN’s features rather than working out how to set it up, SaferVPN is a great option. It’s incredibly easy to set up — just sign in with your account details and use the 1-click connect to connect to a server in less than 5 seconds. The interface is simple and intuitive so switching servers is easy.
SaferVPN offers a 24-hour free trial of its services. You don’t need to enter any payment details, so you don’t have to worry about being charged once the trial period is up. However, I think 24 hours definitely isn’t long enough for you to try all of SaferVPN’s features and make an informed decision about whether it’s right for you.
Instead, I recommend you take advantage of SaferVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee to use the VPN for as long as possible risk-free. This does require you to input your payment information, but it’s easy to request a refund over email and get your money back within 5-7 business days.
A minor con is that while I found SaferVPN’s customer service friendly and responsive, they weren’t well-equipped to answer my technical questions. I asked about using OpenVPN with the iOS app and the answers they gave me were generic, which wasn’t helpful.
SaferVPN can unblock: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, DAZN, YouTube TV, ShowTime, and more.
SaferVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Linux, and routers.
- 7-day free trial and 45-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited speeds, access to servers and bandwidth during the trial
- 3,200+ servers in over 70 countries for super-fast connections
- Military-grade encryption, malware protection, and kill switch to secure your devices
- 24/7 customer support with live chat and email ticketing
With Hotspot Shield’s 7-day free trial, you have unlimited access to its servers with fantastic speeds. You need to enter your credit card details but won’t be charged until after the week is over. If you want to try Hotspot Shield for even longer (which I recommend if you want to fully test all its features) you can use its 45-day money-back guarantee risk-free. It’s easy to request a refund through email or live chat and get your money back in 5-10 business days.
The money-back guarantee gives you almost 7 weeks to enjoy Hotspot Shield’s fantastic speeds. When I tested its servers, I found my average speed across more than 30 server connections was 28.64Mbps — fast enough to stream Netflix in UltraHD quality! You can watch your favorite shows, download, and play games with no restrictions during the trial period.
It’s worth noting that HotSpot Shield has a free version. However, I still wouldn’t recommend using it over the free trial as its features are extremely limited. You only get access to its US server, can only use 500MB of data per day, and its speeds are capped at 2Mbps. In addition, Hotspot Shield does share some user data from this version with advertisers, meaning your data is not kept totally private.
Hotspot Shield unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, DAZN, YouTube, Kodi, and more.
Hotspot Shield works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Smart TVs, and routers.
- 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee
- Full access to all features but bandwidth is limited to 10GB during trial
- Over 1,000 servers in 190+ countries — more than any other VPN service
- Military-grade encryption, IP Shuffle feature protect your online activity
- 24/7 customer support available to make a refund necessary
With HMA’s 7-day free trial, you have enough time to test plenty of features like its unique IP Shuffle, which makes you virtually untraceable by randomizing your IP address periodically when you’re connected. You need to enter your payment details but the money won’t be taken out of your account until after the week.
If you do forget to cancel, you can use HMA’s 30-day money-back guarantee and get a full refund. In fact, I’d recommend you take advantage of this as it gives you a zero-risk way to test HMA fully over a longer period of time.
Unfortunately, getting your money back with HMA isn’t as hassle-free as some other services. You need to sign in to your HMA account and cancel your subscription, fill out a form, and then confirm your refund via email. After that, it should only take a day or 2 for your refund to be processed.
HMA can unblock: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, DAZN, YouTube, and more.
HMA works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Apple TV, Android TV, Chrome, Firefox, and routers.
What To Look For When Choosing a VPN Free Trial
Here are the criteria I used to rank the VPNs on this list:
- Legitimacy of free trials and money-back guarantees — I tested every service to ensure that I could get my money back easily and quickly.
- Full access to reliable features — There’s no point in getting a VPN trial if you can’t test everything, as you won’t know for sure if it’s right for you.
- Effective customer support — I contacted customer service through email and live chat where available and tested how easy it was to complete the refund process.
- Fast speeds — I made sure each VPN had uncapped speeds and ran tests to ensure fast speeds for streaming and downloading.
- Bypasses geo-blocks easily — I connected to servers all over the world to test how well each VPN can access locally restricted content, including streaming sites like Netflix and ESPN, YouTube, Wikipedia, and more.
How To Test Your VPN Free Trial
The best way to fully test a VPN is over the course of several weeks. This way, you get to see how the VPN works at different times (and with different server loads!) and can check if there are any issues. Some things you might want to consider are:
- Can you always connect easily to local servers? Are connections also reliable for servers in other countries?
- Does the VPN unblock restricted content? If you have a Netflix account or other similar streaming service, you can connect to a different VPN server and see if new content is available to view.
- How fast are the server connections? You can run speed tests for free or see if you can observe any noticeable slowdown, like buffering or lagging when you’re connected.
- Do you notice the server connections drop? Is it easy to reconnect or switch to a different server?
- Does the VPN work well on multiple platforms? Try it on several different devices to make sure the app is consistently easy to use.
FAQs on Free Trial VPNs — Make Sure You Can Get Your Money Back
- How do I cancel my free trial or cancel during the guarantee period?
- Can I get a VPN free trial with no credit card?
- How do I make sure I don’t get charged for my free trial VPN?
- Can I use my free trial more than once?
- What about free VPNs?
- Will a VPN track my activity during a free trial?
- Can I watch Netflix with a free trial VPN?
- Can I bypass the Great Firewall of China with a free trial VPN?
❓ How do I cancel my free trial or cancel during the guarantee period?
For most VPNs, there are 2 options for canceling — by logging into your account through your browser and finding a cancelation link in your account settings or by contacting customer service. Some VPNs require you to do both these steps separately. If your VPN has a 24/7 live chat function, this is the easiest and quickest way to cancel your trial.
Cancelation processes can also vary for different devices. If you subscribed through the Apple App Store, for example, your VPN provider will likely request that you cancel through the App Store too.
💳 Can I get a VPN free trial with no credit card?
Totally free trials do exist, but they’re rare and usually have many limitations. There are a couple of VPNs on this list that offer a free trial without any payment details, like SaferVPN, which gives you 24 hours of free premium service when you sign up for an account. However, it’s very difficult to properly use this trial due to how short it is.
A better option is to choose a risk-free money-back guarantee, which gives you considerably longer (30 days at a minimum) to test every feature and make sure the VPN works for you. While this does mean handing over your payment details and an upfront cost, in exchange you can experience every VPN feature with no limitations and without such an extreme time constraint. If you’re not completely satisfied, you can rest assured knowing that the refund policies for all the VPNs on this list are airtight — I’ve tested them all myself!
💡 How do I make sure I don’t get charged for my free trial VPN?
The best way to avoid any nasty surprise charges is to carefully read over the terms and conditions of your free trial. Some VPNs could impose charges or refuse a refund if you exceed the data cap you agreed to on sign up. Make sure you check if there’s a data limit and don’t exceed it.
Another precaution you can take is to sign up for the cheapest plan available. This way, if you forget to request your refund before the set period is up you won’t have to pay a fortune. The most affordable plan for most services will be their monthly option — on this list, the cheapest monthly VPN is IPVanish at $5.00/month.
👎 Can I use my free trial more than once?
Unfortunately, no — VPN services won’t let you use a free trial more than once. If you’re caught trying to sign up for multiple free trials with different email addresses, you could end up facing a ban from the VPN service altogether. You can, however, test out different VPN services using their free trials to see which one works the best for you before you subscribe.
💰 What about free VPNs?
I don’t recommend using a free VPN instead of a free trial — they have significantly fewer features and can even harm your device security!
Some free VPNs, like Hotspot Shield’s free service, keep your data and online activity secure but limit bandwidth and server options and won’t let you access streaming sites. There are some great free VPNs available on the market, but they’re often not reliably fast and you won’t be able to use them as much as you want to.
You might be tempted to download a free VPN with no data or speed caps — a quick web search will bring up thousands of results — but you should know that these unlimited free services can pose a massive risk to your data security. Many of these VPNs are known to log user data and sell it to third parties, including advertisers. This compromises your security as you can’t be sure that the VPN is protecting your personally identifying information. Also, some of the most popular unlimited free VPNs have been found to host malware, which could infect your devices and steal your data!
The safest and most reliable option is to choose a quality VPN that offers a free trial or has a money-back guarantee. NordVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee you can use to test the service and make sure it’s right for you without compromising your privacy or security — and getting a full refund is easy! It took me less than 5 minutes to request a refund using NordVPN’s live chat and I had my money back in less than a week.
⛔️ Will a VPN track my activity during a free trial?
None of the VPNs on this list will track your activity during your trial period as they all have strict no-logs policies. This means that while you’re using the encrypted VPN connection, no data will be monitored, recorded, or stored at any point.
🎥 Can I watch Netflix with a free trial VPN?
Yes, you can! Many of the VPN free trials on this list have sophisticated technology to get around get-restrictions and provide access to exclusive content libraries like US Netflix. For the best Netflix streaming, I recommend NordVPN as it has thousands of fast servers for watching your favorite content in UltraHD and no speed or data caps.
You should note that some VPN free trials limit the amount of data you can use — HMA, for example, has a 10GB data cap, so while you can use it to stream Netflix, you might not be able to watch in HD quality or finish the show or movie you’re streaming.
📍 Can I bypass the Great Firewall of China with a free trial VPN?
Your ability to sneak through the Great Firewall of China will depend on the VPN service you’ve chosen. Some VPNs have servers specifically designed to bypass China’s firewall, like NordVPN’s obfuscated servers, while others don’t. If you need a VPN that is guaranteed to work while you’re inside China, I’d recommend using ExpressVPN — during my tests, it consistently bypassed China’s restrictive internet regulations and let me connect to websites outside of the country.