10 Best VPN Free Trials in 2022 (No Credit Card Required)
I don’t like to pay for a VPN unless I can try it for myself — but while free trials may seem like the obvious choice, I actually prefer money-back guarantees. A money-back guarantee gives you access to every VPN feature for at least 30 days. In contrast, free trials are often restricted to certain devices or have short time limits. Some even ask for your credit card details.
To save you time, I tested 54 VPNs to find the best VPNs with free trials and money-back guarantees. Based on my results, I was most impressed by ExpressVPN. I got instant access to 3000+ servers worldwide, Netflix, and more. You can download ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t want to keep it, you can get a refund with no questions asked. I tested the refund policy myself, and it was approved in minutes over 24/7 live chat — and the money was back in my account in 5 days.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs With Free Trials and Money-Back Guarantees in 2022
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN in 2022 with a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Try ExpressVPN today.
- CyberGhost — Offers 45-day money-back guarantee, 7-day free trial (mobile), and 24-hour free trial (desktop), but unavailable in some countries.
- Private Internet Access — 30-day money-back guarantee and great for privacy with strict no-logs policy, but patchy BBC iPlayer access.
- PrivateVPN — 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee available, but speeds can be inconsistent in distant servers.
- IPVanish — 30-day money-back guarantee, but the kill switch feature is available on limited devices.
Plus, don’t miss out on 5 more VPN free trials. Click here to see more.
The Best VPN Free Trials and Money-Back Guarantees (Tested November 2022)
- 30-day money-back guarantee and 7-day free trial on mobile
- 3000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Strict no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, and kill switch keep you safe
- Native app available for Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Fire Stick, and more
- Connect 5 devices simultaneously under 1 subscription
- 24/7 customer support through live chat and email
ExpressVPN offers a 7-day free trial exclusively for Android and iOS devices — one of the two ways you can try this VPN out. While it’s a nice way to quickly take a peek at the interface, I found 7 days to be too short to test ExpressVPN’s speeds and security features. The free trial also disqualifies you from the 30-day money-back guarantee if you decide to keep ExpressVPN, and using the trial on iOS requires a credit card. The app automatically charges you full price if you forget to cancel at least 24 hours before the trial expires.
For a hassle-free experience, try ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee instead. It’s a “no questions asked” guarantee, so getting a full refund is easy. I tested the legitimacy of this guarantee by asking for a refund over 24/7 live chat 24 days into my subscription. The customer support representative approved my request immediately, and the money was back in my account in less than a week.
Unfortunately, the 30-day money-back guarantee isn’t automatically applied by Google Play or the App Store. For this reason, I recommend that you get a subscription to ExpressVPN from its website. That way, you know you’re safe if you change your mind for any reason.
Testing showed how reliably ExpressVPN worked with most streaming platforms. You’ll have no issues accessing most major streaming platforms, including the following:
|Amazon Prime Video||Disney+||FuboTV||Hotstar|
I never had to waste time switching between servers to find a working connection. Better still, ExpressVPN’s speeds were consistently fast — no matter which server I connected to. I could stream videos in HD, download torrents, and play games online without buffering or lag.
I often find myself having to connect to public wifi, so I appreciate ExpressVPN’s comprehensive list of security features. Whenever you connect to an ExpressVPN server, your personal data is protected by:
- 256-bit military-grade encryption (the same standard used by militaries worldwide),
- Network lock, an automatic kill switch that secures your internet traffic in the event your VPN connection drops,
- DNS, WebRTC, and IPv4 leak protection (that passed several rounds of tests), and
- A third-party audited no-logs policy that proves all your data stays safe and anonymous.
You can choose from multiple VPN protocols, including Lightway (the company’s proprietary version of the latest WireGuard protocol), OpenVPN, and IKEv2.
While ExpressVPN doesn’t offer an unlimited free trial, its money-back guarantee is reliable. It’s the best VPN in 2022 in terms of speed, security, and reliability. You don’t have to take my word for it, though — you can test all its features risk-free for 30 days. If you’re not satisfied, you can get a full refund.
ExpressVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, Kodi, Google Chromecast, Roku, Android TVs, smart TVs, routers, and more.
Get ExpressVPN's Black Friday Deal! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 24-hour free trial (desktop), 7-day free trial (mobile), and 45-day money-back guarantee
- 8200+ servers in 91 countries
- AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, no-logs policy, and leak protection
- Works on Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, and more
- Supports 7 device connections simultaneously
- Customer support and live chat available 24/7
CyberGhost has a couple of free options you can use to test its features before committing. The best option is to go for the generous 45-day money-back guarantee. Because it’s so easy to claim a refund, it’s essentially a free trial that lasts for 45 days. This makes CyberGhost a great option if you only need a VPN for short-term use; a much better deal than signing up for the 24-hour desktop-only trial or the 7-day free trial for iOS or Android.
One of my favorite CyberGhost features is the dedicated streaming, torrenting, and gaming servers. The company pre-configures and regularly tests a range of servers for you, so you’re guaranteed smooth connections. CyberGhost worked reliably with the following platforms after just a few clicks:
|Netflix||Hulu||Amazon Prime Video||Disney+|
|Kodi||HBO Max||BBC iPlayer||ESPN|
Every video loaded within seconds in HD quality, and I only experienced very minimally buffering at the start of each stream.
CyberGhost also has a formidable set of security features to keep your online data private, including:
- An automatic kill switch that blocks the connection if the VPN disconnects,
- A malware and tracker blocker (not available on the iOS app),
- Military-grade encryption that protects your data from third-party surveillance, and
- A strict no-logs policy that protects the privacy of users.
Aside from its security features, CyberGhost is located in privacy-friendly Romania and regularly releases transparency reports. You can rest assured that there isn’t any data to be given to anyone who might request it.
CyberGhost has an easy-to-use native app for a wide variety of devices. I tested the Windows, Android, iOS, and macOS apps and was impressed by how easy it was to connect to the best servers for my needs. CyberGhost servers are organized according to lists: All Servers, NoSpy servers, For torrenting, For gaming, and For streaming.
Thanks to a reliable money-back guarantee, you can access all of CyberGhost’s features for free for 45 days. I tried the refund process myself: I filed a refund request over live chat, which was approved in less than 5 mins. I had the money back in my account within the same week.
CyberGhost works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi, Google Chromecast, Roku, Android TVs, smart TVs, routers, and more.
Get CyberGhost's Black Friday Deal! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.03 per month + get extra 4 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 84%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. Private Internet Access — Largest VPN Server Network (Free Trial + Money-Back Guarantee Available)
- 30-day money-back guarantee, plus 7-day free trial on mobile
- 35000+ servers in 84+ countries
- Military-grade encryption, DNS leak protection, and no-logs policy
- Apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, routers, and more
- 10 simultaneous device connections under 1 plan
- 24/7 customer support on live chat and email
Private Internet Access (PIA) is another high-quality VPN that you can try for free: PIA’s money-back guarantee allows you to use it for 30 days at no risk to you. If you don’t want to continue your subscription, all you have to do is ask for a refund via live chat, and you’ll get fully refunded. PIA offers a free trial, but it’s only accessible through Android (Google Play) or iOS (App Store) and lasts only 7 days.
The 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to enjoy every premium feature on any device, including unlimited bandwidth and data for streaming. My team and I tested multiple servers in the US, UK, and Canada and found that PIA worked reliably with the following platforms:
|Netflix||Disney+||HBO Max||Amazon Prime Video|
Even with multiple devices connected simultaneously (one subscription will allow you to connect 10 devices at the same time), repeated testing revealed that nearby PIA servers offer speeds fast enough for streaming, browsing, and gaming. PIA’s upload and ping rates made it a really good VPN to play Call of Duty: Warzone. However, connecting to faraway servers caused a significant decrease in upload speeds. This can definitely affect your experience, especially if your wifi is slow. So I recommend connecting to a nearby server or using a faster VPN (like ExpressVPN).
PIA protects your data with the following security features:
- Military-grade encryption; with a choice between AES 128- and 256-bit encryption
- Split tunneling that allows you to choose which apps pass through the VPN
- MACE – a reliable ad, malware, and tracker blocker.
You can try PIA for free for 30 days. When I requested a refund via live chat, the agent offered help with any issues I might be having with PIA. I declined and explained I was canceling because I didn’t need the service anymore. After giving the agent my invoice number, my request was approved. The money was back in my account in 5 days.
PIA works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Playstation, Xbox, AppleTV, Kodi, Chromecast, smart TVs, Nvidia Shield, routers, and more.
Get PIA's Black Friday Deal! For a limited time only, save 83% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 4 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 30-day money-back guarantee and 7-day free trial
- 200+ servers in 63+ countries
- Military-grade encryption, kill switch, leak protection, and no data logging
- Works on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, routers, and more.
- Supports 10 devices simultaneously
- Customer support available through live chat (not 24/7) and email
PrivateVPN has a 7-day free trial for Android and a 30-day money-back guarantee, but both require you to enter your billing information. The money-back guarantee gives you more time to use PrivateVPN for free on all devices, making it an ideal option if you’re traveling abroad and are looking to use a VPN while you’re there. As soon as you don’t need it anymore, you can easily claim a refund.
Most VPNs on this list have extensive networks with thousands of servers, so I was really impressed by the number of streaming platforms PrivateVPN managed to unblock. My team and I were able to access most major platforms while connected to PrivateVPN, including the following:
|Netflix||Disney+||Amazon Prime Video||Hulu|
|HBO Max||BBC iPlayer||ESPN||YouTube|
Speeds remained consistently fast, and I didn’t experience much buffering or lag while on PrivateVPN servers. PrivateVPN utilizes high-quality bandwidth bought directly from IP transit providers, which translates to higher-quality, stable connections.
PrivateVPN protects your data with the following security features:
- Military-grade encryption,
- A kill switch to protect your traffic in case the VPN disconnects, and
- Stealth VPN to make your VPN traffic look like normal HTTPS traffic.
Privacy buffs beware: PrivateVPN is headquartered in Sweden, a member of the 14-Eyes Alliance, an intelligence sharing between Sweden and other governments. The good news is that PrivateVPN’s no-logs policy is clear — it doesn’t collect or log any traffic or use of the VPN, so users stay anonymous even in case of government requests.
You can try PrivateVPN for free for 30 days, thanks to its reliable money-back guarantee. When I requested a refund via live chat, the agent asked me for a reason; I simply said I had changed my mind. My request was confirmed in less than 10 minutes, and the money was returned to my account in 5 days.
PrivateVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Nvidia Shield, smart TV, routers, and more.
November 2022 Update! PrivateVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2 per month with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 85%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
- Easy no-questions-asked 30-day money-back guarantee on yearly plan
- 2000+ servers in 75+ countries
- AES 256-bit security, automatic kill switch, and zero-logs policy to ensure security
- Available on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, routers, and more
- Supports unlimited device connections at once
- 24/7 customer support through live chat and email
IPVanish’s 30-day money-back guarantee operates much like a free trial: purchase a 1-year plan, use it as much as you want on unlimited number of devices, and before the 30 day period ends, cancel the subscription yourself through your account dashboard. I liked that I didn’t have to speak to customer service; IPVanish’s money-back guarantee was really no questions asked.
You can get IPVanish’s native app for various devices, including Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. IPVanish’s native app displays key information such as connection speed and server load, which helped me quickly choose the best server relative to my location.
During tests, my team and I successfully connected to the following platforms with IPVanish:
|Amazon Prime Video||BBC iPlayer||Sling TV||fuboTV|
IPVanish secures your data with the following security features:
- Military-grade encryption,
- DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, and
- Kill switch to protect your data if you lose your server connection
Unfortunately, some of IPVanish’s security features aren’t available on every device. If privacy is your top priority, I suggest you check out ExpressVPN’s comprehensive set of security features which are available on all devices.
You can test IPVanish’s features yourself: its 30-day money-back guarantee is one of the easiest ones to use on this list. All I had to do to get my money back was to log into my account and click a couple of buttons to confirm I wanted to cancel my subscription. The refund was processed immediately, and the money was back in my account in an hour.
IPVanish works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Kodi, Roku, smart TV, routers, and more.
- Free plan available
- 1700+ secure servers in 63+ countries
- Military-grade encryption, DNS leak protection, kill switch, NetShield, Alternate Routing, and Secure Core Network
- Connect 10 devices simultaneously under the paid plan
- Customer support available via online ticket system and email
- 30-day refund policy for unused portions of the service
Proton VPN’s free plan allows you to access 3 Proton VPN server locations, the US, Japan, and the Netherlands, on 1 device. Because many free users share these servers, the speeds can be really slow — barely enough to browse sites, let alone stream videos or play games. Proton VPN’s free plan is the only way to check out its features risk-free.
I paid for Proton VPN’s Plus Plan and got impressive speeds during testing. My speeds never fell too far from my baseline, so you’ll have zero issues streaming videos in the best quality possible, even while connected to distant servers.
The Plus Plan was also able to unblock the following platforms with ease:
|Netflix||HBO Max||Hulu||BBC iPlayer|
|Amazon Prime Video||Disney+|
While the Free plan worked with Netflix, the speeds were so slow that the frames froze every 5 minutes or so.
Security is where Proton VPN really shines. The following features ensure your data stays private:
- Perfect forward secrecy that generates a unique set of keys for every session, ensuring no one can connect internet activities to a particular user
- NetShield, an ad, tracker, and malware blocker
- Secure Core that routes your traffic through 2 servers (available to Plus plan subscribers only)
Proton VPN has a 30-day refund policy. But keep in mind that you will only get refunded for the portion of the service you haven’t used yet; you won’t get a full refund if you change your mind. I recommend you sign up for Proton VPN’s free service and upgrade to the paid plan if you like the features.
Proton VPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Xiaomi Mi Box, Kodi, Roku, smart TVs, routers, and more.
- 31-day money-back guarantee and 7-day free trial
- 6500+ servers in 78+ countries
- AES-256 encryption, internet kill switch, and leak protection
- Allows 10 simultaneous device connections under one plan
- Live chat support, ticket support, setup guides, and FAQs available
Both the 7-day free trial and 31-day money-back guarantee allows you to test all of PureVPN’s features on up to 10 devices simultaneously. To sign up for either, you’ll have to enter a payment method, so you might be better off going for the money-back guarantee instead of the short 7-day trial period. Once you’re done with the service, you can request a refund — essentially allowing you to use the VPN for free.
My teammates and I found that PureVPN worked well with the following streaming platforms:
|Netflix||Hulu||Disney+||Amazon Prime Video|
Some PureVPN servers worked with HBO Max, but most didn’t. For guaranteed access to HBO, try CyberGhost’s dedicated streaming servers for HBO Max.
PureVPN protects your data with the following security features:
- Split tunneling (available on Android and iOS),
- AES-256-bit encryption, and
- A third-party audited no-logs policy.
In 2016, PureVPN shared user data with the FBI during a cyberstalking case. This cast some doubt on the provider’s commitment to protecting user privacy. However, PureVPN underwent an independent audit in 2019 to show that its policies correspond with that of a zero-logs VPN.
PureVPN’s 5-year plan brings the monthly rates down to $1.24 per month, making it one of the most economical options on this list. Once you decide you don’t need a VPN anymore, you can request a refund via live chat. My request was approved (after being checked by their billing department) and the money was back in my account after 5 days.
PureVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Kindle, Kodi, Roku, smart TVs, routers, and more.
- Limited free trial and extension, plus 30-day money-back guarantee
- 4700+ servers in 80+ countries
- AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, and no-logs policy protect your data
- Available on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire Stick, and more
- Connect unlimited devices at once
- Customer support and live chat available 24/7
ZenMate only has a 7-day free trial for its browser extension, available on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. After the free trial expires, you can continue using the extension for free — but you only have access to servers in 4 countries.
In contrast, you can access ZenMate’s full range of features for 30 days with the money-back guarantee. Your entire internet will be encrypted with military-grade standards and further secured with a kill switch and leak protection. You’ll also have access to servers in 80 countries, which work with the following platforms:
|Netflix||Disney+||Amazon Prime Video||Hulu|
My teammates and I weren’t able to unblock HBO Max with any ZenMate server. CyberGhost has a dedicated server for HBO Max, so I suggest trying CyberGhost if you want to watch shows on the platform.
Security-wise, ZenMate Pro has the following features that ensure your personal data stays private:
- AES 256-bit encryption protocol with perfect forward secrecy,
- Automatic kill switch, and
- DNS, IP, and WebRTC leak protection.
At $1.99 a month, ZenMate is the most cost-effective VPN on this list. You can enjoy all of ZenMate’s features on unlimited devices for free by purchasing a 3-year plan and canceling your subscription within the money-back guarantee period. I requested a refund via email and got a reply within the same day. The money was back in my PayPal account in 3 days.
ZenMate works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Edge, AppleTV, Roku, smart TVs, routers, and more.
- 3-day free trial on Android and iOS, and 30-day money-back guarantee
- 700+ servers in 70+ countries
- AES 256-bit encryption and kill switch features to protect your information
- Supports Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, routers, and more
- Works on 30 devices at the same time
- Email ticketing and live chat available 24/7
A reliable 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to try VyprVPN for nearly a month without any risk. You can enjoy all its features on 30 devices at the same time. There’s a 3-day free trial available on Android and iOS, but you’re going to need to provide payment details, so I suggest going for the longer money-back guarantee instead.
My teammates and I were able to enjoy content from the following platforms while connected to VyprVPN servers:
|Netflix||BBC iPlayer||HBO Max||Disney+|
VyprVPN’s proprietary Chameleon protocol scrambles OpenVPN data, disguising it as non-VPN traffic. This makes it particularly good at getting around VPN blocks — it’s one of the few VPNs that reliably works in China.
Aside from the security benefits of the Chameleon protocol, VyprVPN protects user data with the following security features:
- Military-grade encryption with perfect forward secrecy,
- Automated kill switch, and
- Split tunneling option (available on Android and macOS)
Unfortunately, VyprVPN’s download speeds are really inconsistent. I tested VyprVPN by connecting to a nearby server and could stream in HD. However, connecting to a server over 17,000km away dropped my speed by almost 90%.
Try VyprVPN for free on your own device for 30 days. Getting a full refund is easy: I requested my money back by email and got a response in just 7 minutes. The representative asked me to provide a reason for canceling and fully refunded me within 3 days. VyprVPN subscriptions purchased through Apple are not eligible for a refund.
VyprVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Edge, Blackphone, Roku, smart TVs, routers, and more.
- 30-day money-back guarantee, 7-day trial available for $0.99
- 5700+ server options in 100+ locations
- Secure downloading feature, AES-256-bit encryption, kill switch and leak protection
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat and ticket generation
Ivacy’s free trial is interesting in the sense that it isn’t really free — Ivacy’s 1-week free trial period is available for $0.99. You’ll need to key in your payment details anyway, so you might as well test Ivacy VPN using its 30-day money-back guarantee (applicable to the 1-year and 5-year plans).
When I tested Ivacy servers with my teammates, we were able to unblock the following platforms:
|Netflix||Amazon Prime Video||BBC iPlayer||Disney+|
Ivacy has a great list of security features, which is impressive considering it’s a low-cost VPN:
- Secure downloading, a malware scanner and blocker,
- Military-grade encryption,
- No-log policy and privacy-oriented headquarters (Singapore)
However, Ivacy’s upload speeds dropped significantly while connected to remote servers. I had some issues, especially during gaming. If you’re an avid gamer, I suggest you get CyberGhost instead: it has dedicated gaming servers with fantastic upload speeds and ping rates.
The 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to try all Ivacy’s features for free on 10 devices. If you don’t need it anymore, it’s easy to claim a refund. I emailed Ivacy’s customer support on day 25 and requested a refund. The next day, I got a reply approving my request, and the money was back in my PayPal account after 2 days.
VPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Xbox, smart TVs, routers, and more.
Comparison Table: 2022’s Best VPN Free Trials
|Money-back guarantee||Free Trial||Server Countries||Simultaneous devices (for paid plans)||Cryptocurrency payment available?|
|ExpressVPN||30||7 days (Android and iOS)||94||5||✔|
|CyberGhost||45||7 days (Android and iOS)||91||7||✔|
|PIA||30||7 days (Android and iOS)||84||10||✔|
|PrivateVPN||30||7 days on Android||63||10||✔|
|ProtonVPN||30, only for unused portions of the service||Free plan with limited features||63||10||✔|
|PureVPN||31||7 days, payment method required||78||10||✔
|ZenMate||30||7 days (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge)||80||unlimited||✘|
|VyprVPN||30||3 days, payment method required||70||30||✘|
The Differences Between Money-Back Guarantees and Free Trials
The most common ways you can test a VPN risk-free are through:
- Money-back guarantees: VPNs with money-back guarantees require you to pay for a long-term plan upfront but come with a “warranty” period. If you cancel within this period, you’ll get fully refunded, essentially letting you use a VPN for free. Remember: purchasing a VPN through Android or Google Play Store makes your subscription subject to these app stores’ refund policies. To prevent any problems, purchasing your VPN subscription from the VPNs’ official websites is best.
- Free trials: Free trial VPNs allow users to enjoy the VPN on a limited number of devices for around 3-7 days. While some free trials don’t require a payment method, some do. Either way, these VPNs won’t start charging you for the service until after the free trial period.
- Free VPNs: These VPNs are completely free to use but often come with limitations (e.g., data caps, a small number of server choices, and device limits). While there are some high-quality free VPNs out there, many free VPNs pose significant privacy issues (e.g., data logging, selling user data to third parties) and security threats (e.g., malware).
The best way to test a VPN is through money-back guarantees. It gives you enough time to see for yourself how consistently a VPN unblocks streaming services or whether connecting to distant servers affects the speeds.
Warning! Avoid These VPN Free Trials (Updated List)
Some vendors claim you can test VPNs for free but still charge you as soon as you sign up. Worse still, I found services that didn’t provide me with appropriate protection during the free trial. Here are some VPNs you should never sign up for:
- SiteLock — Doesn’t offer a free trial and only issues refunds if you can prove the VPN underperformed during the first 30 days of use. My request wasn’t approved even though I complained about slow speeds and inconsistent unblocking features.
- Speedify — Let me sign up for its free account that heavily restricts which features you can access and only gives you 1GB of data to use per month. This let me stream only a couple of hours of Netflix content every 4 weeks.
- Opera Free VPN — While OperaVPN claims not to store your data, the Opera browser does keep your user data — including your IP address, DNS requests, phone number, and even your IMEI.
How I Tested and Ranked the Best Free Trial VPNs in 2022
Finding a free VPN trial that isn’t excessively limited and frustrating to use is tricky. I researched and tested the best VPNs in 2022 to find safe and secure services that offer free trials and money-back guarantees. Here are the criteria I used to rank the VPNs on this list:
- No hidden catches — I tested every service to ensure I could get my money back easily and quickly. Some VPNs ask for credit card information upfront, so I personally tested each VPN’s refund policy to see how easy it was to get my money back.
- Limitations or restrictions — I checked if a VPN trial placed any limitations on their users — since there’s no point in using it if you can’t test the key features. If a free trial is only available on mobile or a browser, I indicated so on the list.
- Ability to unblock content — I connected to servers worldwide to determine which VPNs work with Netflix US (and other libraries), Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. This is especially useful if you regularly travel abroad and want access to your home country’s local content.
- Fast speeds — I ensured each VPN had uncapped speeds and ran tests to ensure it provided fast speeds for streaming and downloading.
- Anonymous payment — I also indicated, on the comparison table, which VPNs offer payments via cryptocurrency.
To save you unnecessary hassle, I test and recommend only the best VPNs that offer legitimate free trials or money-back guarantees. ExpressVPN is my top choice as it gave me access to all of its premium features risk-free for 30 days and approved my refund when I asked for it after 3 weeks of using it. That’s why I suggest you try ExpressVPN for yourself. If you’re unsatisfied, you can get a full refund within the 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Use a VPN Free Trial on Different Devices
How to Use ExpressVPN’s Free Trial on Mobile Devices
- Search for ExpressVPN in your app store. Download the app on your phone.
- Start the trial. Click the “Start 7-Day Trial” button, provide your email address, and click “Start Free Trial.”
- Pick a plan. Select a subscription plan (it won’t be deducted from your payment method), then click “Start Free Trial.” This will take you to Google Play.
- Confirm your payment method. When that’s set, click “Subscribe.”
- Enjoy your free trial! The ExpressVPN will ask to be granted some permissions to work successfully (all VPNs do); click Accept. You can now connect to any ExpressVPN server you’d like.
How to Use CyberGhost’s Money-Back Guarantee
- Head over to the CyberGhost website. Go to the main menu and select “Pricing.”
- Choose your preferred plan. I suggest getting a plan with the lowest monthly rates for more savings if you decide to keep the subscription.
- Choose your payment method (credit card, PayPal, or Bitcoin). Click “Continue” or “Buy Now” to complete your payment. All CyberGhost subscriptions, except for the 1-month plan, are eligible for the 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Install CyberGhost. After completing the payment, you’ll get a prompt to download and install CyberGhost — click the file and follow the installation instructions.
- Sign into CyberGhost. You’ll receive an email from CyberGhost with instructions on how to set up your account. Follow these instructions, and sign into CyberGhost.
- Connect to a server. You can now use CyberGhost to stream, browse, and game for the next 45 days.
- When you’re ready to claim a refund, head over to the CyberGhost website. Click the “Live Chat” button to connect you to an agent. Let the agent know that you want to cancel your subscription and give a brief reason why. Have your email address or Order ID ready, as they might need it to verify your account.
How to Use IPVanish’s Money-Back Guarantee on Fire TV Stick
- Head over to the IPVanish homepage. Click “Get IPVanish” to sign up for IPVanish. To be eligible for the 30-day money-back guarantee, sign up for the yearly plan.
- Sign up for an account. Key in an email address and create a password. IPVanish has several payment methods, including most major credit cards and Paypal. Click “Subscribe Now.” You’ll be able to claim your full payment later.
- Download and install the app on your FireStick. Once it’s installed, key in your IPVanish username and password.
- Connect to an IPVanish server. Select the country, server, and city of your choice.
- To request a refund, head to your IPVanish User Control Panel. Click on “I wish to cancel my subscription.”
- Continue the cancellation process on the next page. You can do this by clicking “I Still Want to Cancel.”
- Select a cancellation reason. You can select an option from the list or type your own under “Other reason.”
- Get your money back. You’ll receive an email confirming the cancellation of your account. The refund will be processed automatically within 7 business days.
FAQs: Free VPN Trials
Can I get a VPN free trial with no credit card?
Yes, there are VPN free trials that don’t require any payment information. However, most only let you sign up if you provide your payment details. This way, you can be charged for a subscription if you forget to cancel the free trial before it expires. This is a trick that many VPN services use to get you to pay for the service.
Instead of a short free trial (often lasting between 24 hours to 7 days), I suggest you download a VPN with a long money-back guarantee period instead. For instance, CyberGhost has a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you’ve got plenty of time to test it out before you cancel your subscription and ask for a refund. You can continue to use CyberGhost and all its features for the remaining money-back guarantee period. I’ve tested the refund policy myself, and it was quick and easy to get my money back over 24/7 live chat.
Do VPN free trials work with Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services?
Yes, most VPNs on this list work with most major streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. During my tests, ExpressVPN worked reliably on most platforms that my teammates and I used it with. CyberGhost’s dedicated streaming server makes it another great VPN option for streaming.
What are the limitations of a VPN free trial?
Most VPNs with free trial offers only allow users to test the VPN on a limited number of devices for around 3-7 days. While some VPN free trials don’t require a payment method, some do. That makes using a reliable money-back guarantee a better option — it gives you more time to test a VPN, essentially for free.
How do I cancel my VPN free trial or money-back guarantee?
If you signed up for a VPN directly from its website, then it’ll be easy. Based on my tests, the best VPN all have smooth cancellation policies — some are even explicitly “no questions asked” policies, so you don’t get hassled to stay. For example, I tested ExpressVPN, and all I had to do was speak to a representative over 24/7 live chat. The entire process was over within minutes, and the money was in my bank account in 5 days.
Unfortunately, if you subscribed through the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, you’ll have to cancel through the store. The refund policy can vary in complexity depending on the app store. You won’t be able to contact the VPN company directly to process your refund request.
Can I use my VPN free trial more than once?
Unfortunately not. In fact, people constantly abusing the free trials resulted in many VPNs canceling their free trials completely. It’s not all over, though — you can always check out the best VPNs with free trials and money-back guarantees and see if there’s a new VPN you haven’t discovered yet.
Are there any good free VPNs?
Yes! There are free VPNs that are safe to use — but just like free trials, you should expect some restrictions. For example, you might only have 500MB of free data per month or a couple of server locations to choose from. If you only need a VPN for casual online searches or checking your emails, a free VPN might completely meet your needs.
Will a VPN track my online activity during a free trial?
It depends on the VPN. I’ve tested the best VPN free trials as of November 2022, and none will track your activity during the free trial or money-back guarantee period. Each VPN has military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy, so no identifying data is tracked, stored, or shared at any point.
Can I use VPN free trials in high-censorship countries?
Yes, but you need to sign up for a free trial for a VPN with a proven no-logs policy and download the app before you arrive. While VPN use is not really encouraged in high-censorship countries, there have been no public cases of tourists being penalized by said governments. That said, make sure you read up on the laws regarding VPN use in the country you’re planning to visit, and if you decide to use a VPN, choose a secure VPN with an audited no-logs policy and obfuscation technology, like ExpressVPN.
Use a Free Trial VPN to Find the Best VPN
Reviews are great, but nothing beats trying a VPN for yourself. By signing up for a free trial or using a money-back guarantee, there’s no risk in downloading a VPN to see if it’s right for you. Personally, I prefer to use a money-back guarantee as I can test a VPN for at least 30 days and see how well it works.
Out of all the VPNs on the market, I’m most impressed by ExpressVPN’s fast speeds, powerful security, and hassle-free money-back guarantee. When you download ExpressVPN onto your device, you have 30 days to test every feature. It’s quick and easy to get a full refund if you’re not satisfied. Just speak to a customer support agent over 24/7 live chat. I’ve tested the refund process myself, and the money was returned to my account in less than 5 days.