How to Change Netflix Locations in 3 Easy Steps in 2021
Whenever I travel abroad for work, I get really annoyed when I can’t access my usual Netflix shows. I’ve tried multiple workarounds, but they all turned out to be useless as none of them worked with the streaming platform. Finally, I found that using a top-tier Virtual Private Network (VPN) is the only way to access my local Netflix library. Plus, it only takes 3 steps to start streaming from anywhere.
However, Netflix puts a lot of effort into updating its VPN-blocking technology to stop you from freely changing your region. This means that only quality vendors can still unblock the streaming platform. I tested over 30 VPNs to find the best 3 providers that not only work with Netflix, but also let you stream in very high quality. I also asked my fellow reviewers for help making sure the recommended vendors can access various libraries around the world.
If you want to avoid buffering and enjoy full HD Netflix streams, ExpressVPN is the best choice for you. Its global server network provides the highest speeds needed for fast streaming from anywhere. And you can use ExpressVPN completely risk-free — if you’re not happy with it, you can always get a refund as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Quick Guide: 3 Steps to Change Your Netflix Region Anywhere
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN as its ultra-fast speeds make watching Netflix shows in HD a breeze. Plus, you can buy it in confidence as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server in your Netflix country. This will automatically change your device’s virtual location so you’ll unblock your regular Netflix library.
- Start watching your usual Netflix content! Just open the app or go to netflix.com in your browser, log in, and watch any show you want.
How a VPN Changes Netflix Regions in September 2021
Netflix restricts your access to certain shows to abide by copyright laws and licensing agreements. The platform checks your IP address as soon as you open the webpage and instantly determines which library you’re eligible to view, regardless of where you set up your account. It’s frustrating because when you travel abroad, Netflix automatically changes which shows you can watch unless you use a VPN to bypass the site’s detection.
Connecting to a VPN server changes your IP address and reroutes your traffic through a country of your choice. This hides your real location, so platforms like Netflix don’t recognize where you’re streaming from — and instead see the location of the VPN server. For example, if you choose a server in the US, Netflix will recognize the server’s US IP address, giving you access to your regular US library.
Even though proxies and Smart DNS also reroute your traffic through different servers, they’re not strong enough to bypass Netflix’s restrictions. I also found that free and most premium VPNs can’t unblock Netflix libraries as they don’t have enough servers to stop their IP addresses from getting blacklisted. I tried all of these options multiple times but always ended up staring at the proxy error message instead of the next episode of Dexter.
I recommend you choose one of the 3 tried-and-tested VPNs I listed here for unrestricted access to the library you pay for. These VPNs proved to be the best at keeping up with Netflix’s constantly updated restrictions and unblocking Netflix libraries whether you’re abroad or using a corporate IP address. ExpressVPN is my top choice as it regularly surveys its servers to make sure they still bypass the geo-blocks. Better still, it provides the fastest speeds so your streams are always of the highest quality possible. The vendor offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can buy ExpressVPN in confidence. If you decide it’s not suitable for your needs, you’ll get a refund, no-questions-asked.
How to Choose a VPN to Change Locations on Netflix
It’s not easy to find a VPN that can help you change locations on Netflix. My tests showed most vendors don’t work with the platform, even if they claim to do so. To make sure I recommend only top-quality services, I checked that the top 3 VPNs in the article meet the criteria below:
- Ability to bypass Netflix geoblocks: To give you access to your home Netflix library while you’re abroad, a VPN should have a large enough network of servers, and update it frequently. The more locations there are to choose from, the greater likelihood of finding the Netflix library you want to watch. Regularly updated IP addresses mean that you won’t be stuck with an address that Netflix has blacklisted.
- Fast streaming speeds: The last thing you need when watching your favorite Netflix shows is pixelated video quality or sudden buffering. Since the platform offers shows even in 4K, your chosen VPN has to provide speeds above 20Mbps to prevent lag and extended loading times. All 3 VPNs exceeded my expectations as they dropped my base speeds only by 10-20% — and this makes them a solid choice for quality streaming.
- User-friendly apps across all compatible devices: I don’t like fumbling with multiple buttons so I always choose VPNs that offer one-click connections on any device. That way it’s equally easy and quick to connect and start streaming on your phone, PC, or Smart TV — even if you’ve never used a VPN before.
- Responsive and friendly 24/7 customer support: It’s normal to experience small problems with any provider, but you should always be able to get help fast when you need it. The 3 VPNs in the article employ knowledgeable agents who can answer your every question in simple terms at any point during the day.
- Legitimate money-back guarantee: This ensures you can get a VPN, put it to the test, and get a refund if you’re not fully satisfied.
Best VPNs to Change Netflix Regions Anywhere
- 3000 servers in 94 countries worldwide for quick and reliable Netflix connections from anywhere
- Lightning-fast speeds to keep your streaming quality high and bufferless
- Intuitive app that lets you set up a fast connection in just 10 seconds
- Allows 5 simultaneous device connections
- 24/7 customer help through live chat and email so you don’t have to wait to ask pressing questions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
I hate low-quality streams which is why ExpressVPN is my top choice for watching Netflix. ExpressVPN offers ultra-fast speeds that ensure your video quality never dips, no matter how long you stream for. Paired with unlimited bandwidth, the vendor is a perfect match for uninterrupted HD streaming of any show on Netflix from anywhere in the world. These aren’t just marketing claims either — I ran tests on ExpressVPN’s US servers from my New York location and had no issues watching Irishman, Dexter, and more on Netflix US in HD.
To start streaming even quicker, I created a Netflix shortcut within the ExpressVPN app. This let me log into my account immediately after selecting a US server. While it’s not a necessity, it meant I was able to start streaming without searching for the Netflix app on my devices or browser.
Even better, ExpressVPN’s app let me connect to a server with 1 click, as the VPN found the fastest connection for me. This meant all I had to do was press the big “On” button on ExpressVPN’s UI and I was connected to the fastest available server. This way, I always had the best speeds for streaming Netflix.
I was also happy to learn that I could use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature to watch Netflix on my Xbox One. The MediaStreamer feature is a DNS service that works on smart TVs and gaming consoles, which typically don’t support VPN software. Keep in mind, though — the MediaStreamer feature doesn’t encrypt your connection the way a VPN would. If you want to enjoy all of ExpressVPN’s benefits across all your devices, you can install the VPN on your router.
ExpressVPN also has extremely responsive customer service as I never had to wait longer than 20 seconds to be connected to an online advisor. The VPN rep was quick to help me set the VPN on my router when I couldn’t find the right instructions online. That way, I didn’t have to stress trying to make it work on my own and had the problem solved in under 3 minutes.
If you’re still not sure, you can try using ExpressVPN with Netflix yourself. The 30-day money-back guarantee is a completely risk-free way to check if you’re satisfied with the VPN service. If you’re not happy with it, you can always ask for a refund — the fastest way to do so is to reach out to a live chat agent. That’s exactly what I did and an ExpressVPN representative processed my refund request as soon as I confirmed my account details. He didn’t ask me why I wanted to cancel and the money reappeared in my bank account 4 days later.
ExpressVPN works with: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Amazon Firestick, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TVs, routers, and more.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, YouTube TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and more.
September 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 6900 servers in 90 countries, with multiple streaming-optimized servers in various locations
- Boosted speeds and tougher unblocking technology on streaming servers to ensure you can always watch your favorite Netflix shows
- All servers sorted into appropriate categories for quick and easy connections
- Lets you connect 7 devices at the same time
- 24/7 live chat and email help available to help you solve any problems
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost makes unblocking Netflix a breeze with its streaming-optimized servers. These servers are programmed to go around even the toughest geo-restrictions, which means you’re more likely to avoid the Netflix proxy error when accessing your profile. During my tests, I used the US Netflix-optimized servers to watch Kim’s Convenience in HD and entirely buffer-free at all times.
The optimized servers are programmed to bring you faster speeds, making CyberGhost a direct ExpressVPN competitor. My speeds were only 10% slower than usual, so the difference was basically unnoticeable. This makes CyberGhost perfect for streaming Netflix in HD and 4K (where applicable) without lags. The only reason why I ranked it lower than ExpressVPN is that my teammates experienced a 60% speed drop on more distant servers, like in Japan or Australia.
Annoyingly, CyberGhost has only a few Netflix-optimized servers, and they occasionally become full. When this happened during my tests, I wasn’t able to connect to them, so I used the 24/7 live chat, and a CyberGhost expert advised trying a different server. While he couldn’t guarantee they would work with the platform, I found that I could still watch Netflix using other US servers, including regular locations in Washington or Chicago. My streams buffered a bit at the start, but remained smooth until the end once I let them load for 10 seconds.
I was able to connect in just 15 seconds, as CyberGhost categorizes its servers by function and they’re easy to find. After selecting the “For Streaming” tab, I instantly located the Netflix US server and double-clicked it to connect. CyberGhost initiated the connection within 7 seconds so I started watching Netflix shows quicker than with many other VPNs.
While I think that it’is brilliant for streaming Netflix, you should put CyberGhost to the test yourself with its 45-day money-back guarantee. This is more than enough time to decide if you want to commit to a long-term subscription or ask for a refund if you decide to get a different service. I canceled my account after 26 days of testing and a friendly CyberGhost advisor approved my refund without a fuss. I had the money back within 5 working days.
CyberGhost works with: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Firestick, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TVs, routers, and more.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, ITV Hub, YouTube TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and more.
September 2021 Update: CyberGhost has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.25 per month for the 2-year plan (you can save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 34400 servers in 78 countries worldwide which is large enough to prevent high user load and slow speeds
- Great speeds that remain stable throughout your whole streaming session
- Automatically selects a server for you when you choose a country you’d like to connect to
- You can connect up to 10 devices at once
- Offers 24/7 customer service ready to troubleshoot your issues through live chat and email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
With one of the biggest server networks on the market, PIA lets you avoid overcrowded connections and slowdowns during your Netflix stream. Over the years in cybersecurity, I’ve learned that a smaller number of servers usually leads to much slower speeds, especially in the evenings and on weekends. But PIA servers kept my traffic equally fast anytime I set up my connection. This meant my Stranger Things stream on Netflix didn’t stop to buffer, even though I watched 4 episodes in one go.
Though the large server network may seem intimidating, you’ll easily navigate the app as PIA is one of the most user-friendly VPNs for Windows, iPhone, and other devices. Similarly to ExpressVPN, I only needed to click on 1 button to connect and another one to see available server locations. PIA also displays the latency (time needed for the server to communicate with an online website) next to each country and shows the fastest countries first. That way, I could either let the VPN find the best connection by clicking “Choose Automatically,” or select a country with the lowest latency and enjoy bufferless streams.
Keep in mind that PIA’s speeds tend to be slower on servers further away from you. I noticed reduced video quality when I used the US Silicon Valley server from New York, but my fellow reviewer in LA reported no change to his stream at all. This means that you may have to deal with minor lagging or poor resolution if you’re connecting to a server on the other side of the country (or the world).
But the great news is that PIA offers affordable plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can give PIA a go without any risk. If you find the VPN doesn’t meet your expectations, reach out to customer service using the 24/7 live chat or email and ask for a refund. As long as you do this before the policy runs out, a PIA agent will process your request. I found I had to explain that I wasn’t interested in the VPN anymore before the agent approved it, but I received my money through PayPal that same week.
PIA works with: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Firestick, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Smart TVs, routers, and more.
PIA also unblocks: Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, ITV Hub, YouTube TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and more.
September 2021 Update! For a limited time only, save 77% on PIA's 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
How to Change Netflix Regions on iPhone, Android, PS4, Xbox One, and Roku
How to Change Netflix Region on iPhone
- Download a VPN compatible with iOS. ExpressVPN has a user-friendly iPhone app that will let you use its lightning-fast speeds in a few seconds.
- Log in to your VPN app and connect to a server. For example, if your home Netflix library is in the US, you need to choose a US server.
- Open the Netflix app and enjoy your favorite content. Your library should be automatically changed, so just select the show you want to watch and start streaming.
Sometimes you may be blocked from watching Netflix even if your VPN could access the service before. That’s because Netflix regularly tightens its restrictions, which stops certain VPN servers from working. Try reconnecting to a different location or turning your VPN app off and on. If that doesn’t work, contact your VPN’s customer service to ask for additional advice.
How to Change Netflix Region on Android
- Get a VPN that works on Android. I found that ExpressVPN is super easy to use on Android, letting me connect with just one button.
- Sign in to the VPN using your details and select a server. For instance, choose a UK server if your home Netflix library is in the UK, and so on.
- Launch the Netflix app on your phone and start streaming. The VPN will show Netflix your chosen location unblocking your usual library.
Even though many VPNs claim to work with Netflix, only some of them do — and those that work may also get occasionally blocked by the streaming site. If this happens to you, connect to a new server (even if it’s in the same country) and clear your cookies and cache. Alternatively, your VPN’s representatives have more troubleshooting options so use your vendor’s live chat or email to get help.
How to Change Netflix Region on PS4
Even though PS4 (and PS5) isn’t directly compatible with a VPN, you can still easily change your Netflix region on it using 1 of 2 simple methods. First, you can connect your PS4 to your computer with an ethernet cable, then set up a VPN connection on that computer. Or, you can install the VPN on your router and secure every device in your home. Since using a wire to link your computer and gaming console will limit your mobility, I suggest you go with the second option and set a VPN directly on your router. Here’s how you can do this:
- Create an ExpressVPN account and log in using the browser.
- Open the “Setup” tab, click on “Router” and download ExpressVPN firmware compatible with your router using the drop-down list. Please note, the option is available only on Asus, Linksys, and Netgear routers.
- Connect the LAN port on your primary router to the WAN port of your VPN router using a LAN cable.
- To complete the setup, flash your router. The instructions for this differ depending on which brand you’re using, so make sure to use the step-by-step guides on ExpressVPN’s page.
It’s important to mention that many routers supplied by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) don’t support VPN connections. You need to get another router that’s compatible with a VPN and connect it with your main router to use your VPN on your network. I found that ExpressVPN is compatible with a range of routers, including Asus, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Netduma, Sabai, and TP-Link. The VPN also comes with a router app which makes it a lot easier to set up on the device.
How to Change Netflix Region on Xbox One
Similar to PS4, Xbox One doesn’t offer native VPN apps, so the best way to access your usual Netflix account on it is to use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN and log in.
- Under your account settings, click “Register my IP address” and turn “Automatically register my IP address” on.
- Open the “Setup” tab, click MediaStreamer and find your MediaStreamer IP address. You can note it down for later or leave the tab open.
- Go into “Network settings” > “Advanced settings” > “Set up wireless network” > “DNS settings” on your Xbox One.
- Set IPv4 to “Manual” and enter the MediaStreamer IP address you found earlier in “Primary IPv4 DNS”.
- Press the menu button on your controller and retype the MediaStremer IP address under “Secondary IPv4 DNS”. Click the menu button on your controller again.
- Tap the B button on your controller to finish the configuration. Your device will display a message to say it’s connected to the internet.
- Launch the Netflix app and you’ll have access to your usual local library.
If you install a VPN on your router, it’ll also help you change Netflix regions on your Xbox One. Just follow the installation steps above and you’ll be ready to stream in no time.
How to Change Netflix Region on Roku
Just like gaming consoles, smart TVs like Roku don’t work with native VPN apps. However, you can view your local Netflix library on your Roku — or other smart TVs — in 3 ways:
- Configure a VPN on your router and connect Roku to the protected WiFi network.
- Connect your Android mobile device (like a smartphone or tablet) to a VPN server and screencast it to your Roku.
- Set up a VPN connection on your PC and create a WiFi hotspot on it. Then, connect your Roku to the new hotspot.
The Best Countries for Netflix Content
Depending on where you’re from and which country you’re traveling to, you may be disappointed with the local Netflix shows. For example, since the US, Canada, and the UK have the biggest Netflix libraries, you’ll definitely miss out on a host of content if you’re from those countries and traveling abroad. It doesn’t matter if your payment is linked to that country as the content you’re offered is based exclusively on your current location.
Netflix US — Superbad, Dexter, and Criminal Minds
If you’re leaving the US for work or on holiday, you’ll lose access to amazing movies and classics on Netflix, including Superbad. The US library also boasts an impressive collection of exclusive shows, like Dexter, Twin Peaks, Criminal Minds, The Great British Bake Off, The Twilight Zone, and more.
Netflix Canada — Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction, and Good Will Hunting
Whenever you travel out of Canada, you won’t be able to watch classic movies like Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting, and others.
Netflix UK — Offers Only Fools and Horses, The Office US and UK, and Back to Life
The UK is one of the few Netflix libraries that still offers the UK and the US versions of The Office, so you won’t be able to laugh at iconic jokes when you’re abroad. You’ll also miss out on all episodes of Only Fools and Horses, America’s Got Talent, and Back to Life.
Luckily, you don’t have to lose access to your favorite exclusive Netflix shows and movies just because you’re traveling abroad. With a quality VPN, like ExpressVPN, you can unblock your home library in seconds, no matter where you are. My #1 Netflix VPN is also backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can get ExpressVPN in confidence.
FAQs About Changing Netflix Regions and VPNs
Why does Netflix lock content to specific countries?
Netflix has to show different content in different regions to comply with copyright agreements. When Netflix negotiates with companies that produce TV shows and movies to gain distribution rights, these companies have a right to say where that content is shown. That’s why when you travel abroad, you’ll only see the shows available in a country you’re currently in, instead of the content you normally get at home. Please note this includes any shows or movies you download from your local library as they’ll disappear from your app if they’re not available in a country you’re traveling to.
Additionally, Netflix has to delete copyrighted content from its database in different countries if the show or movie is available on another streaming service. For example, Netflix US had to remove Friends from its library because HBO Max now has exclusive rights to the show. But, Netflix UK still has the rights to the show because it’s not available on any other major streaming service in the UK.
It’s not fair to miss out on your usual shows since you don’t stop paying for your subscription when you travel. If you use ExpressVPN to access your Netflix account from abroad, you’ll be able to keep up with your regular content no matter where you travel. You’re not risking anything by downloading a VPN as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. This means that if you change your mind during the first 30 days, you can get a refund and you won’t even have to explain why you want to cancel.
Is it legal to change Netflix regions?
Yes — changing Netflix regions is not a criminal offense. However, using a VPN to deliberately change your Netflix region goes against the platform’s terms and conditions. That’s because the website has to cover all legal angles and abide by all copyright agreements it signs. Still, there’s been no record of Netflix actively chasing a user for streaming its content with a VPN. In the worst-case scenario, you’ll find yourself blocked with a proxy error and won’t be able to watch anything until you’re back home.
Will Netflix block my account for using a VPN?
No, Netflix won’t block your account if you use a VPN, even if you get the proxy error when you try streaming. After all, you pay a subscription fee every month so it would go against Netflix’s best interest to ban you and lose a customer. Since the streaming site became popular, no one has been penalized for watching their favorite Netflix shows with a VPN.
During my VPN testing, I accessed my local US library using different US servers on 1 Netflix account — and never had as much as a warning. My fellow reviewers from across the world also reported no problems with unblocking their Netflix accounts when connected to a VPN. I’ve been testing VPNs with Netflix for over a year and while some US servers were detected, my Netflix account was never affected. So, you can rest assured your Netflix account is safe!
How does Netflix know my country?
Netflix allows you to access content based on your IP address — a set of numbers that store information about your location. So, if your IP address shows you’re in the US, Netflix detects this and presents the US library. It doesn’t matter where you set up your account or which country the payment comes from. This is frustrating because if you travel abroad, Netflix will automatically change which shows you can watch, so you often lose access to your favorite content.
While you can use a VPN to change your virtual location, you need to make sure the VPN you choose properly hides your IP address. To do so, your provider has to have a big database of available IP addresses on its servers and effective DNS leak protection. This reduces the possibility of Netflix flagging and blacklisting your connections.
ExpressVPN has a large pool of IP addresses and strong DNS protection so Netflix won’t be able to see where you’re connecting from. I know it sounds a bit complicated, but it’s not — and you can test ExpressVPN yourself to see how well it works with Netflix. The VPN’s money-back guarantee will give you 30 days to check you’re fully satisfied. If you are, your subscription will continue as normal once the policy runs out and if you’re not, you can ask for a refund and an ExpressVPN agent will process it for you.
How do I fix the Netflix proxy error?
The first step to avoiding the Netflix proxy error is to use a top-tier VPN as free or low-quality vendors are more likely to be blocked. That’s because the VPNs I recommend here offer much stronger encryption, leak protection, and other necessary security features to keep your location hidden at all times.
If you’re still getting the proxy error even though you’re using one of the top VPNs, there are some easy steps you can take to solve the issue:
- Reconnect to a new server in the same country. Sometimes selected VPN servers get blocked by Netflix, but others will still work with the platform. You can even try connecting to the same server as this will give you a different IP address that may not be blocked.
- Make sure your VPN app is up to date. Your app will display a message once an update is available, so all you have to do is enable the installation by clicking on the prompt.
- Clear cache and cookies in your primary browser or any device you watch Netflix on. You can do so in Privacy settings and it’ll take less than a minute to complete.
- Disable location settings on your device or browser. This option is available in your settings and usually can be turned off with a toggle.
- As a Windows 10 user, you can go into WiFi network properties to disable IPv6 and flush your DNS cache in “Command Prompt”. To turn IPv6 off, open “Network & Internet Settings” > “Change adapter options” > Right-click on your WiFi network > “Properties” > “IPv6” > “Uninstall”. Then, open the “Command Prompt” window and type in “ipconfig /flushdns.” and confirm by pressing enter. Just keep in mind that while disabling IPv6 may help you prevent IP leaks, doing so may also cause some functions on your Windows machine to malfunction.
- Additionally, you can add “_nomap” at the end of your WiFi network name to stop Google from checking your location. This will only work if you have admin access to your router.
- If all fails, contact your VPN’s customer service. The fastest way to get answers is to use a live chat (if available). Once you connect, a friendly advisor will walk you through possible troubleshooting options and let you know which servers to use with Netflix in the future.
Can I change Netflix regions without a VPN?
While it’s possible to find a DNS proxy with an IP address that isn’t yet blacklisted by Netflix, the platform regularly cracks down on new proxies and blocks them. So even if the DNS proxy you found unblocks Netflix today, it’s very likely that it’ll stop working in the very near future. Not to mention that it’s super difficult to actually find a proxy that works, as I tried 40+ of them and none of them helped me access my streaming account.
Additionally, using a DNS proxy heavily limits your location choices as they have servers in very few countries. This means you probably won’t be able to unblock your local library due to the lack of available IP addresses.
Also note that DNS proxies do not encrypt your traffic, and this leaves your private data wide-open to your ISP, the government, and cybercriminals. Some DNS proxies may even profit off you by selling your personal information to advertisers.
While I understand why you’d be reluctant to try a VPN (I was at first too), I want to reassure you that it won’t put you at any risk. You can buy Express in confidence since it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. So if you don’t think the vendor’s features meet your expectations, just contact customer service and get a full refund — it’s as easy as that! I tested the money-back policy myself and the subscription fee was returned directly to my bank account 4 days later.
How can I change my Netflix region for free?
It’s tempting to find a free solution to change Netflix regions, but I learned that free VPNs and DNS proxies are useless at unblocking Netflix. Aside from trying (and failing) to use Netflix with 40+ proxy services, I also discovered that it’s equally difficult to stream any content using a free VPN.
First of all, free VPNs limit your streaming capabilities by capping your monthly data usage and bandwidth. During my tests, these restrictions meant I could only watch 2 episodes of Rick and Morty with an appalling streaming quality. Since the 2 episodes rinsed my data allowance, I had to wait for a month to access my Netflix account again.
Free VPNs are also more likely to be blocked with Netflix’s proxy error as they don’t have the resources to keep up with the regular restrictive updates on the platform. That’s because they can afford to upkeep a limited number of servers in a few countries, meaning their pool of IP addresses is quite small. Their security features aren’t strong enough to keep your information hidden either so they regularly leak your actual location to Netflix servers.
Worst of all, free VPNs are known for logging your data and selling it to third parties, like advertisers and hackers. This includes your location details, billing information, websites you access with the VPN, and more. Revealing such data puts you at direct risk of scams, phishing, and even identity theft.
Accessing your paid Netflix account from abroad shouldn’t have to put you in danger. I recommend you try ExpressVPN to change your Netflix region safely. As ExpressVPN comes with unbreakable encryption used by the military and the government, and a no-logging policy, you can rest assured your data is protected at all times. Plus, you can try the VPN before you make your final decision for 30 days. The money-back guarantee gives you enough time to check if the VPN is as good as I say — if it’s not up to your standards, you can get a refund. I requested my money back through the 24/7 live chat and had it in my bank account within 4 days.
How do I change my Netflix billing country?
There are two ways you can change your Netflix billing country — with and without a VPN. The first one is easy: simply cancel your account, wait until the beginning of the next month, and sign up again in a new country. This method will only work if you’ve already moved abroad as your IP address and billing details have to match the country you want to sign up in.
However, this means you’d be left without access to Netflix shows until the next billing period starts (which could even be 3 or 4 weeks!). That’s why I recommend you use a VPN to change your billing country before you move. To do so, you still need to close your current account, but once the new month starts, connect to a VPN server in your new country and sign up with new payment details. That way your Netflix account will be up and running when you start settling into your new lifestyle. Keep in mind that doing this may violate Netflix’s Terms and Conditions, which could in turn block you from setting up a new billing account.
Regardless of your billing country, Netflix determines which library you can access based on your IP address. So even if your payment details don’t match your new address, you’ll still be able to watch the shows available in your current location. It’s best to update your payment details as soon as possible though to avoid any issues with your subscription.
Keep Up With All Your Local Netflix Content While Traveling Abroad
Traveling shouldn’t stop you from watching your favorite shows and movies, but you may lose even your downloaded episodes when you go abroad. To access your usual local Netflix library, you need to download a quality VPN. Using a VPN will mask your IP address and change your virtual location so Netflix won’t see where you’re connecting from.
After testing 30+ VPNs, I found that ExpressVPN is the top choice for watching Netflix from anywhere as it has 3000 high-speed servers that prevent buffering and quality drops. The vendor also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can buy ExpressVPN in confidence.