5 Best Free Kodi VPNs in 2021 (Works on Fire Stick + Other Devices!)Last Updated by Kate Hawkins on April 05, 2021
If you want to avoid fines and legal trouble, be careful when you select a free VPN to use with Kodi (especially if you have add-ons that might infringe on copyrights). Most VPNs claim to keep you safe and anonymous online — but not all of them protect you or work with Kodi.
Most free services offer poor security and don’t keep your Kodi use anonymous. I was shocked to learn that many VPNs log and sell data (like IP address, online history, and connection times) to advertisers and others. Since this information reveals everything you do on Kodi, you could get into legal trouble if your ISP or government agencies find it.
Many free VPNs also don’t work well for streaming with Kodi. Even the best free services have data caps, throttle speed, and can’t consistently access geo-restricted Kodi content.
To help you get a safe service that works well, I tested over 20 VPNs to find the 5 best free VPNs for streaming with Kodi. Every recommended VPN on this list will keep you secure and anonymous. They’ll also connect you to your favorite streaming add-ons and they’re compatible with Amazon Fire Stick, Smart TVs, Windows, macOS, and more.
To stay safe on Kodi, I recommend that you try a trusted VPN provider like ExpressVPN. It has been proven to keep users secure while streaming.
Quick Guide: 5 Best Free VPNs for Kodi in 2021
- ExpressVPN — #1 Kodi VPN for its seamless streaming, military-grade encryption, and secure downloads. Use it risk-free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee
- Hide.me — Ad-free and offers 5 server locations to connect to, but it doesn’t unblock Netflix or other streaming platforms.
- Hotspot Shield — Fast speeds and 500MB daily data allowance, but its security features aren’t as strong as other services.
- TunnelBear — Strong security and 23 different servers options, but limits you to only 500MB of data per month.
- Windscribe — 10GB monthly data allowance and supports downloading, but only offers 11 server locations to free users.
5 Best Free VPNs for Kodi — Tested for Speed and Security (Working in 2021)
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries to easily bypass geoblocks and access global content
- Unlimited bandwidth and no data caps allow you to enjoy uninterrupted, buffer-free streaming and fast downloading
- Military-grade encryption and a strict no-logging policy protect your data and keep you 100% anonymous online
- Up to 5 simultaneous device connections
- 24/7 customer service with live chat, email support, and guides
While it’s not free upfront, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Kodi and it has a 30-day money-back guarantee. This means you can test out ExpressVPN without any risk or commitment. If you’re not satisfied, you have a full 30 days to claim a refund.
With over 3000 servers, ExpressVPN is a great choice to access Kodi add-ons and streaming content normally blocked in your country. Its huge number of servers helps you spoof your IP address and bypass location restrictions. I was excited that I could easily download geo-restricted Kodi add-ons like Popcornflix (US only).
During testing, I was also impressed at how fast all of ExpressVPN’s servers were. I connected to servers in over 15 different countries (including the US, France, Germany and Australia) and ran speed tests using Ookla. Every server was fast enough to give me bufferless streaming in UltraHD — even when I connected to servers over 3,500 miles away!
I also wanted to make sure ExpressVPN would keep me safe — after all, accidental copyright infringement with Kodi add-ons could land you in jail! I was relieved that ExpressVPN has the best safety features on the market to ensure my online activity stays anonymous. I tested its security for myself to see if it would hide my location and data while using Kodi. I ran DNS and IP leak tests to see if it could mask my UK IP address — and its tough security and kill switch always kept my true location hidden.
In addition to leak protection, ExpressVPN’s strict no-logs policy guarantees that your online activity is never stored. This ensures that you stream on Kodi and download add-ons 100% anonymously. ExpressVPN was one of the first top-tier VPNs to be independently audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers AG and publish its results to show that no personally identifiable data is ever stored. In fact, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for both online privacy and freedom (it even works in China!).
Finally, it also has unmatched device compatibility. ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick, Smart TVs, gaming consoles, and Windows devices. It also works well with a ton of other operating systems and devices. If you discover that ExpressVPN doesn’t have a native app for a certain device, you can always install it on your router or create a virtual hotspot to protect any device connected to your WiFi.
Don’t take my word for it — it’s completely risk-free to try ExpressVPN with the money-back guarantee for 30 days. That way, you can see how well it works with Kodi on your computer, Amazon Fire TV Stick, or Smart TV. If you decide it’s not worth it, you can get a full refund and test another recommended VPN on this list. I went through the refund process and it was easy — I spoke to customer service on the live chat for 2 minutes and had my money back in only 5 days.
ExpressVPN works with: Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Mac, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Raspberry PI, Windows Phone, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, routers, and smart TVs.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Comedy Central, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, National Geographic, NBC Sports, DAZN, YouTube TV, Sling TV, Disney+, and more.
April 2021 Update: ExpressVPN has dropped prices so you can save up to 49%!!! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more deal information here..
- 5 server locations in 4 countries to connect to
- 10GB monthly data allowance for streaming and downloading
- Military-grade encryption and no data logging for secure online connections
- 1 device connection per account
- Customer support includes email, FAQs, knowledgebase, and a community forum
Hide.me is a free VPN based in Malaysia, which means it isn’t required to keep any user data or share information with intelligence agencies. This is because it’s headquartered outside of the 5, 9, and 14 Eyes Alliances. This makes it a great VPN for Kodi because you can stream and download media without worrying about your personal data being stored and shared with government organizations.
In addition to these industry-standard protections, Hide.me also provides additional security features like Split Tunneling. You can use this configuration to choose which apps are tunneled through the VPN and which aren’t — so you can stream Kodi with an encrypted connection and browse online locally at the same time. This keeps your data and location hidden while you’re using Kodi, but lets you maintain faster speeds with other apps.
Unfortunately, I found that Hide.me was slower than other services. It claims to not throttle speeds for free users, but my speed tests showed a significant drop from my usual speed of 61Mbps. I connected to all 5 Hide.me server locations and ran tests. The closest location to me (the Netherlands) only reached 17Mbps and the furthest (US) was about 13Mbps. These speeds are still fast enough to stream in HD, but I noticed a fair amount of buffering.
Another drawback is that Hide.me doesn’t unblock streaming services (like Hulu or Netflix). This was a big disappointment to me because one of the main reasons I use Kodi is to stream my favorite shows.
If you want a free VPN guaranteed to keep you safe, I still think Hide.me is a great service to use with Kodi. After you download the app, you can try it for free. If you decide it’s not worth it, you can always try another recommended VPN from this list.
Hide.me works on: Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Amazon Fire OS, routers, Chrome, and Firefox.
Hide.me unblocks: Comedy Central, National Geographic, NBC Sports, YouTube, Sling TV, and more.
- 1 server location in the US
- 500MB daily data allowance
- Military-grade encryption and no logs keep your online activity private
- 1 device connection supported
- Customer support includes email, help guides, and troubleshooting
Hotspot Shield is a fast VPN service that will let you stream Kodi content with almost zero buffering or load time. I expected Hotspot Shield to be slow because it only has 1 server location for free users — but I was wrong. When I ran tests my speed was over 26Mbps, which was more than enough to stream and download without buffering or lag.
Though my speeds were fast, I was still limited to just 500MB of data daily. This adds up to 15GB of data for a month, but the daily cap meant I could only stream a movie on Kodi for about an hour before my allowance ran out.
While the limited server network didn’t usually affect my speed, I was frustrated that it can’t give you access to global Kodi add-ons and content. Since Hotspot Shield doesn’t give you a range of IP addresses to use, you won’t be able to bypass many geo-blocks. I was frustrated to find that it couldn’t unlock Netflix or Hulu — it doesn’t work with these platforms unless you’re located in the US and have an existing account. However, I was still able to watch Sling TV, NBC Sports, and US YouTube content without buffering.
If you want a VPN to stream buffer-free on YouTube with Kodi, Hotspot Shield may be a good option for you. To test it yourself, download the app and start using Kodi.
Hotspot Shield works with: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Chrome, Smart TVs, Linux, and routers.
Hotspot Shield unblocks: Comedy Central, NBC Sports, YouTube, Sling TV, and more.
- 23 server locations in 20 countries
- 500MB monthly data allowance
- Military-grade encryption ensures your online activity is anonymous
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Customer support includes email, help guides, and FAQs
TunnelBear has over 20 different countries with servers for you to choose from, which is a big range for a free VPN service. This variety includes popular locations like the US, Japan, and Australia. I was excited about this large network because it gave me access to popular Kodi add-ons that are geo-restricted to certain countries like iPlayer WWW (UK only) and Crackle (US only).
TunnelBear protects its free users with the same top-tier security features as premium. It uses military-grade encryption and an automatic kill switch (called VigilantBear), so you can rest assured that prying eyes won’t be able to monitor your torrenting and other online activities. Unfortunately, I found that TunnelBear does keep a small amount of non-identifiable data about you. This information includes the OS of your device, how much bandwidth you’ve used, and if you’ve accessed the service in the last month. While it’s not entirely zero-logs, I’m not worried about the service collecting this limited information.
One big drawback I found is that TunnelBear strictly limits its data allowance. You only get 500MB for the entire month, which will give you about an hour of streaming in SD-quality video. This is a tiny amount of data if you want to stream anonymously on Kodi, but it does give you the chance to download add-ons that aren’t available to you locally.
With its relatively large server network, TunnelBear is a great service to help you bypass geoblocks. Sign up with your email to try the TunnelBear app with Kodi yourself.
Here’s a tip for you — You can get extra data by tweeting about TunnelBear! In exchange for a tweet, TunnelBear will give you a one-time data bonus of 1GB to use.
TunnelBear works on: iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, Chrome, and Firefox.
TunnelBear also unblocks: Sling TV, NBC Sports, YouTube, and more.
- 14 server locations in 11 countries for multiple connection options around the world
- 10GB monthly data allowance for fast, reliable streaming
- Military-grade encryption and zero-logs policy keeps your activity anonymous
- Unlimited device connections
- Customer support includes email, FAQs, and setup guides
Windscribe is one of the most popular free Kodi VPNs because of its fast speeds and solid support for streaming. I ran several speed tests using Ookla and connected to a server in all 11 countries. My average speed was 25Mbps and never fell below 18Mbps, meaning I could stream in HD quality with no buffering from every server location.
I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to stream much on Kodi because Windscribe restricts free users to a 10GB monthly data limit. But I was pleasantly surprised! On average, 10GB of data gives you 10 hours of SD streaming (or 2.5 hours of HD streaming). I streamed Roman Holiday in SD for 30 minutes and used less than 0.1GB of my available data.
Unfortunately, Windscribe’s 10GB monthly plan might not be enough if you use Kodi to stream cached torrents (or if you like to torrent in general). Many cached torrents are upwards of 20GB, especially if you want to stream content in HD quality. I found the data limit was enough to download Kodi add-ons that are normally restricted in my location (like PopcornFlix) and to stream in SD. But I was frustrated that I reached my data limit quickly when torrenting.
Windscribe’s free plan comes with solid security features designed to keep you safe when you’re using Kodi. I tested its DNS leak protection and was relieved that it securely hid my IP address, proving its military-grade encryption works.
In addition to leak protection, Windscribe has a firewall that disables the internet if you’re not connected to the VPN. This acts like a kill switch to protect your data if the VPN connection suddenly becomes unstable. It also provides free users with blockers for ads and trackers, so you can avoid annoying (and potentially malicious) pop-ups. I found this particularly useful when downloading third-party add-ons.
Considering these other strong security features, I was disappointed when I learned that Windscribe hasn’t been independently audited. That means you’ll have to take its no-logging and security policies at face value. It’s reassuring to see that Windscribe has transparency reports showing that it doesn’t comply with data requests (because there is no data to hand over). However, I would still feel better if independent investigators had confirmed that it truly doesn’t store personal data.
Another issue I found is that Windscribe sometimes struggles to get around location blocks. If you want to use Kodi to access streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, it might not be the best service. I wasn’t able to stream on these platforms at all, but I could watch BBC iPlayer movies and download the iPlayer WWW add-on.
I still think the best way to see if a VPN is right for you is to test it yourself. I recommend you download and install Windscribe to try it. Then, you can connect to Kodi and see how it works for you.
Windscribe works with: macOS, Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Linux, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV.
Windscribe also unblocks: Comedy Central, BBC iPlayer, National Geographic, NBC Sports, DAZN, YouTube, Sling TV, and more.
How VPNs Work With Kodi and Why You Need One
When you connect Kodi through a VPN, your data gets encrypted and your internet traffic is rerouted through a VPN server. This scrambles your private data (like your online history) so it’s unreadable to your ISP and others. It also spoofs your IP address, making it look like you’re in the same place as the VPN server. This technology gives you increased security and anonymity online.
When you use Kodi, it’s likely you’ll come across copyrighted content or malware (even if you’re not aware of it). So if you’re using Kodi for anything besides streaming your own content, you need a VPN to keep your data secure and hidden.
Using a high-quality VPN with Kodi allows you to:
- Avoid legal problems. If you accidentally download an add-on with copyrighted material or torrent the wrong file with Kodi, your internet service provider could alert authorities. You could get in trouble even if you never stream this content! To make sure prying eyes can’t monitor your online activity, use a VPN with tough security.
- Access restricted Kodi downloads. Some Kodi content and add-ons are limited to users in certain countries. Worse yet, companies like Netflix and Disney+ use anti-VPN technology to prevent you from bypassing geoblocks. However, the top VPNs (like ExpressVPN) can still mask your IP address effectively and get around these restrictions so you can access Kodi content no matter where you travel.
- Stay safe from cybercriminals. Official add-ons from companies like YouTube and Netflix are generally safe — but unofficial Kodi add-ons (especially from P2P networks) often contain malware. Some add-ons could even get hacked, allowing cybercriminals to try to steal your credit card information or login credentials for other sites. The best VPNs use advanced encryption and malware-blockers to protect you.
Risks of Using a Free VPN With Kodi
Kodi is free, so you may wonder why you should pay for a service when there are some decent free VPNs available. The free VPNs that work with Kodi are either limiting or expose you to danger online.
Usually, the free services that offer better safety and streaming quality are offered by providers that sell other subscription-based VPN services. These companies purposefully limit their free users’ speed, server options, data usage, and security in order to encourage customers to upgrade.
Unfortunately for Kodi users, these limitations negatively impact your streaming experience. Most free services can’t bypass geo-blocks used by popular platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. The few that can access them have strict data caps, so you’ll only be able to stream for a few hours each month. This also means that you won’t have enough data to torrent or download many add-ons.
Aside from these limitations, most free VPNs are a bad choice for Kodi users because they have limited device compatibility. That means you won’t be able to use Kodi to stream on Smart TVs, Firestick, game consoles, routers, or other devices.
The majority of free VPNs put your security at risk to make money. Many inject ads or even malware and trackers into your devices in order to gather data about you. Others keep extensive logs of your IP address, online history, and connection times to sell to advertisers and others. For Kodi users, this is a huge risk — if your ISP or government acquire this information, you could get into legal problems.
Many free VPNs also offer free users poor security features. Since they don’t collect subscription fees, they may not have the budget to update encryption standards and protocols. Others may not follow zero-logs policies or manage their servers in a safe way. These limitations could expose you to cybercriminals and put you at risk for fraud, identity theft, and surveillance.
Avoid These VPNs With Kodi for Better Compatibility and Safety
To enjoy safe streaming and good compatibility on Kodi, stay away from these VPNs:
- HolaVPN — Offers no servers, encryption, or privacy. It has been caught selling personally identifying user data and even user bandwidth.
- TouchVPN — Keeps records of your online history, IP address, and personal device information. This can expose you to cybercrime, ISP snooping, and government surveillance.
- Betternet — Suspected of installing dangerous trackers and malware on users’ devices and it sells your personal data to unverified third parties.
- SaferVPN — Overall a good VPN, but it’s been blocked by Real-Debrid for Kodi.
- ProtonVPN — Although a good choice for other devices like Android, the free version blocks streaming platforms and it’s incompatible with Real-Debrid for Kodi.
How to Choose a Safe Free VPN for Kodi
- Choose high-quality encryption and leak protection. Weak encryption can leak your IP address, making you vulnerable to hackers, government spies, and others. This could reveal your true location and get you in legal trouble if you accidentally torrent copyrighted material. To stay safe, make sure your VPN uses 256-bit encryption, strong protocols like OpenVPN or IKEv2, and IP/DNS leak protection.
- Look for features that block malware and ads. Third-party Kodi add-ons can be risky to download as they may contain malware designed to steal your data or compromise your devices (which could lead to identity theft!). If the free VPN you choose doesn’t include an ad/malware blocker, make sure it’s compatible with one.
- Check the limitations. All free services limit data usage, speed, server options, security, or compatibility. Before you go through the trouble of installing a service, make sure that it can actually give you access to the platforms, geo-blocked content, and Kodi add-ons you want!
- Look for a large server selection. In order to bypass geoblocks, you need a VPN with servers in countries that have access to the content you want. See where the add-ons you want are available, then pick a free VPN with servers in those locations.
FAQs: Kodi and Free VPNs
- Do free VPNs work with Firestick, Raspberry Pi, Android TV, Xbox, and other devices?
- Is it legal to stream Kodi with a free VPN?
- Will a free Kodi VPN work with other services like Netflix?
- How do I install a free VPN with Kodi?
- Is the Kodi Reddit right about free VPNs?
- Will a free VPN let me access torrented content safely on Kodi?
- What if my free VPN stops working with Kodi?
Do free VPNs work with Firestick, Raspberry Pi, Android TV, Xbox, and other devices?
ExpressVPN has the broadest device compatibility of any VPN on this list. Since you can even install it on your router or use it to create a virtual hotspot, you can protect any device (even gaming consoles) that connects to your WiFi.
For more information, take a look at this table to see which services are compatible with your Kodi devices:
Is it legal to stream Kodi with a free VPN?
Kodi is completely legal (and free!) software. There are lots of legal and free Kodi add-ons for watching TV, streaming movies, or enjoying your favorite media.
However, not all Kodi add-ons are legal. In fact, many third-party add-ons contain pirated material and malware. I recommend carefully examining add-ons to make sure they’re safe and legal to use. For even greater protection, use a service like ExpressVPN to help you block harmful malware and ads.
It’s also important to note that free VPNs are not legal to use everywhere. Some countries (like China, Russia, Iran, and Saudi Arabia) have strict internet regulations that limit the use of VPNs. I recommend that you check local laws in your country to make sure it’s legal and use a top-tier service to avoid detection.
Will a free VPN work with other services like Netflix?
Probably not — most free VPNs (and even some premium services) can’t bypass Netflix’s proxy error message. In some cases, this is because the VPN doesn’t have strong enough technology to get around anti-VPN detection technology. Other times, free VPNs restrict your data usage or speed so much that it makes it impossible to stream.
Since accessing region-locked streaming services is one of the top reasons for using a VPN, many free VPNs also intentionally block your access. This is a sneaky trick to get you to upgrade.
To get unrestricted access to US Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Fox Sports, BBC iPlayer, and other services, you’ll need to use a top-tier VPN (like ExpressVPN) that can get around tough geo-blocking and VPN-detection technology.
How do I install a free VPN with Kodi?
To install the best Kodi VPN’s native app on a compatible device, follow these 3 easy steps:
How to install a free VPN onto your Kodi device
- Get and install a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for fast Kodi streaming and downloading (you can use it risk-free for 30 days!).
- Connect to a server. Pick a server in a country with access to the Kodi content and streaming platforms you want to use.
- Launch Kodi and start streaming! Now you can download add-ons and watch your favorite content without risking your security!
If you want to install a VPN onto your Amazon Fire Stick or another similar device but it doesn’t have a native app available, you can follow these instructions to install a Kodi VPN with APK files.
You can also use this guide to install a VPN for Kodi on your router — this will let you protect any device that you connect to your WiFi.
Is the Kodi Reddit right about free VPNs?
It depends — but don’t use Reddit as your only source of information when trying to choose a safe free VPN. Reddit can be a useful platform to learn about user experiences with technology, but not everyone who gives advice is a tech expert. That means that some users might not be able to alert you to hidden dangers.
Consider this user question as an example:
While a high-quality VPN is essential for using torrents on Kodi, it’s equally important to use one for unofficial video add-ons because they could contain malware and viruses. If cybercriminals exploit these vulnerabilities, it could lead to account hacking, financial fraud, or identity theft! These dangers (and the differences in protection offered by free and premium VPNs) aren’t highlighted in this post at all.
The Kodi Reddit has some good insight into VPNs and free services, but take expert reviews into account to avoid unnecessary risks!
Will a free VPN let me access torrented content safely on Kodi?
It depends — most free VPNs don’t support torrenting. Their strict data caps and slow speeds make them bad for torrenting. Plus, their weak encryption and leak protections put your anonymity at risk.
These recommended free VPNs support torrenting on their servers and give you a secure, anonymous connection while file-sharing. But their data limitations may still make it difficult to torrent what you want. For example, Hotspot Shield only allows you 500MB of data per day — that runs out quickly when you’re torrenting.
This is why ExpressVPN is the best option to safely and quickly torrent content on Kodi. Its best-in-class encryption keeps you anonymous. ExpressVPN also gives you unlimited data and never throttles your speed, so you can torrent as much as you want!
What if my free VPN stops working with Kodi?
There are a few things you can try to fix your VPN connection problems and get it working with Kodi in no time:
- Clear your browser cache and cookies: Location data from your previous connections can be stored in your cache — Kodi might see this and block you when you reconnect. Remove this data by going into your browser’s security settings and clearing the cache and cookies.
- Connect to a different server: If you find one location isn’t working, disconnect and reconnect to another server. If your free VPN only has one server connection available, try exiting the VPN completely and reconnecting.
- Disable your firewall: Some VPNs are blocked by firewalls and can’t connect to the server you want. Try turning your firewall off temporarily or granting your VPN access through the firewall.
- Contact customer service: Most free VPNs have email ticketing if you need help or advice. ExpressVPN has 24/7 customer service with live chat to help you troubleshoot whenever you need it.
Don’t Put Your Privacy at Risk When You Use Kodi — Use a VPN!
With a high-quality VPN, you can stream and download on Kodi without worrying about your data security. Every VPN on this list has strong privacy features designed to keep your connections hidden and your online activity anonymous. But even the best free VPNs have limitations and you won’t be able to use Kodi the way you want to.
To get the unbeatable protection and smooth streaming on Kodi, I recommend ExpressVPN. It will give you fast connections and let you unblock content from anywhere, even on Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and BBC iPlayer. But don’t take my word for it — try ExpressVPN risk-free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee.