How to Watch Netflix in Turkey (Updated After 2019 RTÜK Regulations)Last Updated by Kate Hawkins on January 04, 2020
Recent regulation changes in Turkey have prompted concerns that access to streaming sites could be blocked or censored. The new regulation gives the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) oversight over all online content. This supervision includes streaming and news sites.
This could mean that you won’t be able to watch Netflix in Turkey if the content is blocked.
If you want to continue watching your favorite shows and movies, you’ll need a VPN to bypass any potential content blocks. With a VPN, you’ll be able to stream Netflix in Turkey without bandwidth throttling while protecting your data.
Top 3 VPNs for Bypassing Turkey’s Online Censorship
Using a VPN to watch Netflix in Turkey is legal. As online content restrictions change, their use is a bit of a gray area. As such, it is important to use a VPN that guarantees your data security.
1. ExpressVPN: Unlimited Streaming at Lightning-Fast Speeds
- 3000+ servers in 160 locations in 94 countries
- Best in class encryption, IP masking, and TrustedServer technology for superior security
- Unlimited data with zero bandwidth throttling
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is my top choice for its combination of speed and security. Its promise to never limit download data and huge number of servers mean fast streaming speeds with minimal buffering. Perfect for catching up on your favorite movies and shows without interruption!
ExpressVPN’s ability to hide your IP address changes the appearance of your online location. This gives you the freedom to watch Netflix in Turkey, bypassing geo-restrictions.
2. NordVPN: Guaranteed Security While Streaming
- 5700+ servers in 60 countries
- Military-grade encryption, CyberSec, and automatic kill switch provide peak data security
- Zero bandwidth limits or data restrictions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN provides layers of strong security to protect your data and identity while streaming. Data encryption keeps your activities private even from government censorship, so you can always access your content without concern.
NordVPN also offers you the ability to increase your protection with its Double VPN feature. Double VPN sends your traffic through 2 VPN servers, making it harder to track. This is especially useful in a country with content restrictions and censorship. It does slow your connection, but I found I was still able to watch Netflix when using it.
3. CyberGhost: Bypass Geo-Restrictions with Ease
- 4600+ servers in 60+ countries
- Access to NoSpy servers, adapts encryption to your device, zero-logs policy
- Unlimited bandwidth and traffic
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost VPN is able to bypass geo-restricted content easily. Its vast number of servers around the world make streaming Netflix simple, even if the content is restricted in your location.
With its NoSpy servers, CyberGhost offers you a unique security feature. Its independently operated and maintained servers reduce the possibility of data leaks, external interference and promote a guaranteed zero-logs policy. Located in Romania, these servers are outside of government jurisdiction, ensuring your online safety.
How a VPN Helps You Avoid Censorship in Turkey
As censorship becomes a more pressing issue, you want to know you can still watch Netflix in Turkey while maintaining your anonymity.
You want to be sure you can also watch PuhuTV and other content. When specific sites are censored, a VPN helps you access them in the following ways:
- IP address masking: Hiding or changing the location of your IP address tricks sites into thinking you’re somewhere else and unblocks content for you.
- Unlimited streaming: Countries with heavy censorship can sometimes find their internet is throttled. Using a VPN bypasses bandwidth restrictions for faster downloads and buffer-free streaming.
- Zero-logs policies: Your ISP can log your browsing activities. Using a VPN prevents your ISP (or anyone!) from seeing or storing your browsing history, protecting your data.
- Geo-unblocking: Netflix has excellent VPN detection technology. However, there are VPNs that can bypass the Netflix proxy error and access Netflix from anywhere.
Netflix Isn’t the Only Site Affected by New Censorship Laws
As the RTÜK has the right to supervise all online content, other sites are at risk of being blocked or censored in Turkey.
“Freedom of speech” sites like Google and Wikipedia could also be censored. Even Turkish online streaming sites could come under fire and face censorship.
Fortunately, you can also watch BluTV and similar content using a VPN.
Keep Yourself Secure While You Stream Netflix in Turkey
Censorship is a challenge you could face if you want to watch Netflix in Turkey — using a VPN is a reliable solution for a low monthly price.