How to Watch Disney+ Abroad on iPhone, Xbox & More in 2023
Despite Disney+ being available worldwide, it’s frustrating that you can’t access the same content abroad as at home. When I’m on holiday or traveling for work, I don’t want to miss out on my favorite shows and movies.
Fortunately, there’s an easy way to fix this issue — using a top-tier VPN. But not every VPN can access Disney+. My team and I tested more than 30 providers and narrowed it down to the top 7 to find the best VPNs for Disney+ on mobile, PC, and other devices.
ExpressVPN is the top choice for Disney+ in 2023, with fast, reliable servers that access the platform in seconds. But you don’t have to take my word for it — I suggest you test ExpressVPN with Disney+ for yourself. If you don’t like it, you can get a full refund within 30 days as it’s backed by a money-back guarantee.
Watch Disney+ abroad with ExpressVPN
Important: While Disney+ doesn’t prohibit the use of VPNs, it goes against the Terms of Service to create a fraudulent account — one that is registered in a different country than your home. This can result in account suspension or termination, so make sure you abide by the Terms of Service when you use Disney+.
Quick Guide: Watch Disney+ in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend you try ExpressVPN as it reliably unblocks Disney+ with its global network of 3,000+ servers. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free today!
- Connect to a server in the Disney+ country where you live. This gives you a new IP so you can watch the shows you pay to see with your subscription.
- Start watching Disney+! Once you log in, you’ll have access to all your favorite Disney masterpieces.
Important tip: If you don’t have a payment method in a Disney+ country, you’ll need a Google Play or iTunes gift card to pay for a new account. You can follow this step-by-step guide to get a Disney+ account from anywhere.
Watch Disney+ anywhere with ExpressVPN
How a VPN Helps You Watch Disney+ From Anywhere
Disney+ has different content available in various countries due to broadcasting and copyright regulations, so you might not find your favorite shows or movies when traveling abroad. Worse still, Disney+ isn’t available worldwide — you can access your account in countries like the US, Canada, India, Italy, and Australia, but you won’t be able to log in to your account if you’re visiting a country that doesn’t currently have Disney+.
Disney+ relies on your IP address to determine your location. If you happen to be using a restricted IP, such as one at your workplace, or if you are outside a country where Disney+ is available, accessing your account will not be possible. The sole method to circumvent these restrictions is by employing a VPN to conceal your IP address. By routing your traffic through a server in your home country, a VPN assigns you a new IP address, rendering your actual location undetectable by Disney+. As a result, you can enjoy streaming your regular content even while abroad.
Using a VPN to access your local account isn’t against the Disney+ User Agreement. However, not all services can connect to Disney+ — only the best VPNs in 2023 can guarantee access to your account. I found ExpressVPN is ideal for streaming Disney+, with fast speeds, secure encryption, and thousands of servers in its global network. ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out with Disney+ for yourself completely risk-free. If you’re not satisfied then you can simply claim a full refund.
Stream Disney+ with ExpressVPN
The Best VPNs for Watching Disney+ in 2023
1. ExpressVPN — Superfast Speeds and Thousands of Global Servers
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries for easy connections to Disney+
- Blazing-fast speeds provide smooth Disney streaming worldwide
- Supports up to 5 device connections
- 24/7 customer support with live chat, email, and online knowledge base
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the top choice for Disney+, with blazing-fast speeds across its global network of 3,000+ servers. I ran speed tests on multiple ExpressVPN servers, both local and distant, and found ExpressVPN is the fastest service I’ve tested. My speeds reduced marginally, with an average drop of 18% — fast enough for Ultra HD streaming even when using a server 17,000km away.
Thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol, ExpressVPN keeps your Disney+ connections lag-free and uninterrupted. Lightway is designed to maximize speed without compromising on security, and it’s the default protocol for ExpressVPN’s servers. I found that using Lightway meant I had almost instant server connections, and didn’t experience any disruption while streaming on my local Disney+ account.
To keep your true location and data protected, ExpressVPN uses the following security and privacy features:
- Military-grade encryption: All servers are secured by AES-256-bit encryption to ensure your traffic is protected.
- Data leak protection: ExpressVPN stops DNS, WebRTC, and IP address leaks, keeping your location information hidden.
- TrustedServer Technology: Every server is RAM-based, which means it cannot physically store your data. Plus, all servers are wiped clean during regular reboots.
- Audited zero-log policy: ExpressVPN has undergone multiple third-party audits to confirm it won’t log or store any of your data.
With regular IP refreshing for every server, ExpressVPN is not only a great choice for streaming Disney+, but it is also ideal if you want to connect to other services like Netflix US or Hulu.
I like that ExpressVPN lets you create website shortcuts within its app, so I could launch Disney+ immediately after connecting to a server. This is extremely easy to set up on all devices — simply open the “Shortcuts” tab in “Settings” and add the Disney+ URL.
Another impressive feature is ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer, a Smart DNS feature that lets you access Disney+ on devices that don’t support a VPN app. I configured MediaStreamer with my PS5, and it took less than 5 minutes thanks to ExpressVPN’s detailed setup guide.
Though ExpressVPN is a slightly pricier option, it’s worth the cost for exceptional speeds and stream quality. Its plans start at $6.67 per month for a subscription, plus every plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
This means you can watch Disney+ with ExpressVPN risk-free, and if you change your mind then you can contact the 24/7 live chat for a full refund. I was surprised by how easy the process was, taking a couple of minutes for the support agent to process my request with no questions asked. Best of all, I had my refund only 4 days later.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box, Google Chromecast, Roku, Android TVs, smart TVs, routers, and more.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+, Peacock, Discovery+, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, BritBox, Starz, Crunchyroll, fuboTV, Sling TV, DirecTV, YouTube TV, Kodi, and more.
2023 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
2. CyberGhost — Optimized Disney+ Servers Guarantee a Secure Connection
- 9,000+ servers in 91 countries, plus optimized Disney+ servers
- Reliably fast speeds to watch Disney shows and movies without lag
- Connect 7 devices at the same time
- 24/7 customer support — live chat, email, FAQs, and setup guides
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost’s optimized servers ensure a fast and easy connection to Disney+. These servers are regularly tested by CyberGhost to guarantee they work, so you can always get connected. When I tested the specific Disney+ servers, I could access my account and start streaming immediately with minimal loading and no signs of congestion.
I found CyberGhost’s servers are consistently fast enough for uninterrupted streaming on multiple platforms. You can find CyberGhost’s optimized servers (for Disney+ and more) in the “For Streaming” menu in its apps. CyberGhost’s apps are easy to navigate across all supported devices, so you’ll quickly be able to find the right server connection. The intuitive interface also makes CyberGhost a good choice for beginner VPN users.
If you want to stream Disney+ on a device that doesn’t support VPN apps, CyberGhost has a Smart DNS feature you can set up with your PlayStation, Xbox, smart TV, and more. While there aren’t any specific streaming options for Disney+ using Smart DNS, I found using the UK streaming address connected me to my local account without issue.
To keep your IP address hidden and your data secure, CyberGhost has the following security and privacy features:
- AES-256-bit encryption: Your traffic is secured by military-grade encryption on every CyberGhost connection.
- Automatic kill switch: Cuts access to the internet if the VPN connection is interrupted, ensuring your data remains hidden.
- WiFi protection: When switched on, CyberGhost will automatically connect to a server when using new or unsecured WiFi networks.
- Zero-log policy: CyberGhost won’t log or store your data on its RAM-based servers, but the service hasn’t yet been independently audited.
The issue with CyberGhost is that it doesn’t always work in countries with strict internet regulations, like China, Russia, Turkey, and Iran. If you travel to one of these countries, you may not be able to connect to your Disney+ account. I recommend contacting CyberGhost’s 24/7 live chat support to ask which servers are most likely to work when visiting these locations.
Fortunately, CyberGhost is good value for money, with plans starting at $2.11 for a subscription. CyberGhost also has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee with its long-term subscriptions — ideal if you only need a VPN while you go on vacation or for a short time. This means you can stream Disney+ with CyberGhost risk-free and get a full refund, no questions asked. I found the refund process simple and had my money back in less than a week.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi, Chrome, Firefox, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, smart TVs, routers, and more.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+, Peacock, Discovery+, BBC iPlayer, Canal+, Globo, Crunchyroll, Yle, Foxtel, fuboTV, YouTube TV, Kodi, and more.
2023 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.11 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 84%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. Private Internet Access — Huge Server Network Makes Disney+ Connections Easy
- Massive network of 35,000+ servers in 84 countries to access your Disney+ account from any location
- Fast speeds for lag-free streaming on Disney+
- Connect up to unlimited devices
- 24/7 customer support with live chat, email, and online help site
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) has an enormous server network for streaming Disney+ anywhere. With more than 35,000 servers in 84 countries, it’s easy to find a server in or near your home country when you’re traveling. My colleagues and I tested more than 30 PIA server locations and could access our local Disney+ accounts with them all. Plus, with such a large server network, you’re unlikely to encounter user congestion at peak traffic times, so you can easily stream on Disney+ any time.
On average, PIA’s connections only slowed my speeds to around 65Mbps — this was fast enough for Ultra HD-quality streaming on Disney+. Local servers (less than 5,000km away) are the best for streaming, with a bigger drop when connecting to distant servers. This is expected as physical distance causes higher latency, so take this into account if you’re traveling far from your home country as you could have a more significant slowdown.
To keep your location data protected, PIA has a range of security and privacy features, including:
- Customizable encryption: Choose between AES-256-bit and AES-128-bit encryption — both offer top-tier security, but AES-128 can improve your speeds on slower connections.
- Malware and ad block: MACE feature blocks malicious content and pop-up ads for safe, fast connections.
- Automatic kill switch: Blocks access to the internet if the VPN connection is unexpectedly interrupted, securing your data.
- Zero-log policy: Independently audited and real-world government requests for data have shown PIA does not log or store your information.
However, you will find that not all PIA’s servers work with Disney+ or other streaming services. During tests, I couldn’t always access my Disney+ account with the first PIA server I connected to. I often had to switch between several servers to find a working connection. Fortunately, changing servers with PIA is quick and easy, and connecting to the server only takes a few seconds.
It’s worth testing PIA with Disney+ for yourself to see if it’s right for you, as it’s a robust VPN at a reasonable price — starting at $2.11/month for a plan. If you’re not satisfied or change your mind, you can get a full refund within 30 days. You’ll need your invoice number when you cancel, but don’t worry if you can’t find it — when I tested the process, the live chat agent sent me an email containing the number, and then I was able to process my refund in just a couple of seconds. I had my money back in 4 days.
PIA works with: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, routers, and more.
PIA also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Discovery+, Canal+, Crunchyroll, Yle, Vudu, UKTV, 9Now, CBC, YouTube TV, and more.
2023 Update! You can subscribe to PIA for as low as $2.11 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 82%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here!
4. NordVPN — Premium VPN With Cheap Prices on Long-Term Plans
- Short and long-term subscriptions available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5,700+ global servers in 60 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Protect up to 6 devices at once
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs on the market — and you can get super cheap prices when you sign up for a long-term subscription. One thing to note, however, is that when it’s time to renew your subscription, prices do increase quite significantly.
I was particularly impressed with the high performance of every server I tested. Just because a VPN has thousands of servers doesn’t mean they all work. Servers can still struggle to unblock local sites — and some can even fail to connect completely. However, I easily unblocked Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max on multiple servers in the US and UK.
I did, however, have issues with using NordVPN’s native Fire TV app. Although it worked and unblocked some streaming services, it sometimes had issues unblocking Netflix US and kept crashing. I also found that NordVPN’s user interface for desktop devices was less user-friendly than ExpressVPN and CyberGhost.
NordVPN has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- kill switch that cuts your internet access if your connection to a VPN server drops suddenly
- built-in ad and malware blocker, so you don’t need a third-party ad blocker
- fully audited no-logs policy (audited by PwC) – NordVPN doesn’t store any personal or identifying data while you’re connected to the VPN
In addition, NordVPN includes Threat Protection that protects you from viruses, infected websites, and trackers – and it works whenever you have the NordVPN app open, even if you’re not connected to a VPN server.
With plans that cost as little as $3.99 per month, it's easy to find a NordVPN subscription plan that suits your needs. You can also stream, torrent, and browse for free for up to 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I tested this to ensure that you’ll really get your money back. At first, the support team tried to give me an extended trial period — but they initiated my refund right away after I told them I wasn’t interested in the extension. I got my money back in 6 business days.
NordVPN unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, SkyTV, HBO Max, SHOWTIME, DAZN, ESPN, YouTube TV, and more
NordVPN works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Fire Stick, and Android TV
5. Surfshark — Best Value for Money with Unlimited Device Connections and Fast Speeds
- Short and long-term plans available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3,200+ global servers in 100 countries
- No bandwidth restrictions
- Connect unlimited devices at once
Surfshark offers the best value for money out of every premium VPN on the market. You can connect an unlimited number of devices with a single subscription, which means you can use Surfshark on all your devices without getting logged out.
I tested Surfshark’s simultaneous connections on 2 PCs, 2 phones, a Fire Stick 4K, and an iPad. My connection remained reliable on all 6 devices. Even while I was actively streaming on all my devices, my average speed was 112 Mbps — fast enough for UHD quality.
When I saw the price of this service, I thought it couldn’t possibly have top-grade security features for such a low price, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Surfshark has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption on all devices, with ChaCha encryption available for Android users
- Wireguard VPN protocol enabled by default
- diskless, RAM-only servers to protect your privacy (no data can be physically extracted from any servers)
- kill switch (although this isn’t enabled by default)
- IP and DNS leak protection
Surfshark offers two-factor authentication (2FA) on your account. This feature requires you to enter an extra code before you can log in to ensure that only you can access your account.
While Surfshark does have slightly fewer global servers than rivals such as CyberGhost and PIA, I didn’t experience any issues during my tests. I easily connected fast working servers every time, and I had excellent speeds for streaming Netflix in UHD, downloading torrents, and browsing the internet.
You can try Surfshark for yourself with the 30-day money-back guarantee. It has plans that cost as little as $2.30. Requesting a refund is easy with Surfshark’s live chat feature. Although the support team asked why I wanted to cancel my subscription, I had no problem getting my money back (and it only took 4 days!).
Surfshark unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, Hotstar, HBO Max, DAZN, and more
Surfshark works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux, Fire Stick, Samsung Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs, Android TV, Kodi, and selected routers
6. PrivateVPN — Stealth VPN Provides Access to Disney+ Worldwide
- Small but robust network of 200+ servers in 63 countries provides good access to Disney+
- Reliably fast speeds for streaming Disney+ lag-free
- Supports 10 simultaneous device connections
- 24/7 live chat, email, and online resources
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN’s Stealth VPN feature lets you stream Disney+ from anywhere — it’s one of the only VPNs that works in countries with restrictive internet like China. It obfuscates your VPN traffic to look like regular traffic, so it won’t be noticed by VPN detection technology. This means when you’re traveling abroad, you’ll always be able to access your Disney+ account.
The downside is that Stealth VPN can slow your speeds due to its high-level encryption. However, I was pleased to find that PrivateVPN is consistently fast across its server network. My speeds dropped no more than 50% regardless of the server location, which was more than enough for Ultra HD Disney+ streaming. If your regular internet speeds are slower, you will experience a bigger reduction.
Alongside fast speeds, PrivateVPN keeps your data safe with the following security and privacy features:
- Customizable encryption: For a speed boost without risking your data security, you can reduce the encryption level to AES-128-bit.
- Data leak protection: Secures against DNS and IP address leaks to keep your true location hidden.
- Owns and operates the entire network: No third-party server companies means no risk of outside interference, maximizing your data security.
- Zero-log policy: PrivateVPN won’t log or store any of your data while connected to its servers, but this hasn’t been independently audited yet.
PrivateVPN also offers Dedicated IPs in 16 locations. These let you connect with a unique IP address that only you are using, so it’s less obvious that you’re using a VPN — this makes it easier to connect to services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ when abroad.
Unfortunately, with PrivateVPN’s small server network, you’re bound to experience some user congestion due to high traffic levels. It didn’t happen often, but there were times I couldn’t make a connection to a popular server or had to wait 30 seconds to establish a secure tunnel. If you don’t want to wait, you can use a service like ExpressVPN, which has a much bigger server network.
That being said, having to retry a connection or wait a few seconds is worth it, considering PrivateVPN’s low price — it’s one of the most affordable monthly VPN options, with plans starting at just $2.00/month for a subscription. I recommend you try PrivateVPN with Disney+ and see how it works for you. If you’re not happy with the service, you can get a full refund within 30 days. The process is easy, taking just a few minutes to request a refund over the live chat. I had my money back in 5 business days.
PrivateVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Google Chromecast, Android TVs, routers, and more.
PrivateVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+, Peacock, Discovery+, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, ITV Hub, RTE, fuboTV, YouTube TV, and more.
2023 Update! PrivateVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.00 per month with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 85%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
7. IPVanish — Free SOCKS5 Proxy Reliably Accesses Disney+
- 2,000+ servers in 75 countries to easily access your Disney+ account
- Solid speeds on local servers, with minor slowdown on distant connections
- Supports unlimited connections
- 24/7 live chat, email, and online knowledge base
- 30-day money-back guarantee
IPVanish includes a free SOCKS5 proxy for all users, which is a great way to access Disney+ when you’re abroad. Like a regular VPN connection, the SOCKS5 proxy hides your true IP address so you can connect to your Disney+ account from anywhere. The difference is that the proxy won’t encrypt your connection — but this can help to improve your speeds if your regular internet is slower, as encrypting your traffic causes a drop in speed.
If configuring the SOCKS5 proxy seems a bit complicated, you can rest assured that some of IPVanish’s VPN servers can access Disney+. My colleague in the US found multiple servers that work well for streaming, but some locations (like Australia, Canada, and the UK) were difficult to connect to. Fortunately, IPVanish’s customer support team can suggest the servers that work best with Disney+, making it easier to connect.
I found IPVanish has excellent speeds on local servers. Generally, servers less than 5,000km away reduced my speed by around 12%, which gave me connections that were fast enough for smooth, lag-free streaming of Disney+. Even distant servers (17,000km away) only reduced my speed by 50% on average.
This VPN is effective at accessing streaming services like Disney+ due to its high-level security and privacy features. These include:
- Military-grade encryption: All traffic is secured by AES-256-bit encryption, the same kind used by financial institutions and the US military.
- Data leak protection: Protects against DNS, WebRTC, and IP data leaks to keep your information secure.
- Unlimited device connections: Unique to IPVanish, you can connect all of your devices at the same time, maximizing the overall security of your network.
- Audited zero-log policy: IPVanish has been independently audited to confirm it won’t log or store your data.
My issue with IPVanish is that it’s not the most intuitive app for beginners. The interface can be overwhelming at first, with lots of configurable options, dropdown menus, and server information. This makes IPVanish a better choice for experienced VPN users who want more control over the server connections. Its plans start at $3.33 per month for a subscription.
If you’d like to try IPVanish with Disney+, the service is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a full refund if you change your mind about subscribing. Getting a refund is easy — just log in to your IPVanish account through your browser and choose “Cancel Now” in the Subscriptions tab. I had my money back within the hour.
IPVanish works with: Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi, Chrome, Xbox, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, Google Chromecast, Android TVs, routers, and more.
IPVanish also unblocks: Netflix, Showtime, Discovery+, Paramount+, ITV Hub, ESPN, Vudu, and more.
How to Watch Disney+ on Different Devices
Disney+ has apps available for multiple platforms, and you can stream Disney+ using a compatible browser if your device doesn’t support the app.
Windows and Mac
- In your computer’s browser, visit the Disney+ website. If you’re in a country that doesn’t yet have Disney+, you’ll need to use a top-tier VPN like ExpressVPN to connect to a server in your home country first.
- Log in to your Disney+ account. You’ll see the login button in the top right corner, and you’ll need your account email address and password.
- Start streaming! You’ll have access to all your favorite shows and movies.
iOS and Android
- Visit the App Store on your mobile device. This will be the Google Play Store for Android or the Apple App Store for your iPhone or iPad.
- Search for “Disney+” and download the app. If the app is unavailable due to your current location, you can connect to a VPN server in your home country (where you created your Disney+ account) and then download the app.
- Sign in with your Disney+ account details and start streaming. Make sure you stay connected to the VPN while watching so you can access your local content.
Stream Disney+ with ExpressVPN
Amazon Fire Stick
- Ask Alexa or use the search feature to look for “Disney+.” If the app isn’t available, you’ll need to download a VPN for your Fire Stick and connect to a server in your home country — this should make the Disney+ app available.
- Download the Disney+ app to your Fire Stick. The app will automatically install.
- Open the app and sign in with your account details. Then you’re ready to start streaming your favorite Disney content.
The native Disney+ app is supported on Android TVs, Hisense TVs, LG WebOS TVs, and Samsung TVs running the Tizen OS (2016 and later).
- Search for “Disney+” using the search function of your smart TV. If the app is unavailable in your location, you can install a VPN on your smart TV and connect to a server in your home country — this will let you access the Disney+ app.
- Download the Disney+ app to your smart TV. The app will automatically install and be ready for you to open it.
- Open the app and enter your account login details. You’re ready to start streaming on Disney+!
Consoles like the PlayStation 3, 4 and 5, and Xbox One natively support the Disney+ app, but not VPNs. If you need a VPN abroad to change your IP location, you can configure the VPN with a compatible router or set up a WiFi hotspot with your computer or smartphone.
- In the PlayStation or Microsoft store, search for “Disney+.” If you can’t find the app, it might not be available in your location — you can use a top-tier VPN like ExpressVPN to change your IP to your home country, giving you access to Disney+.
- Download the Disney+ app and wait for it to install. This shouldn’t take more than a minute or 2, depending on your internet speed.
- When installed, open the app and enter your account details. Now you can start streaming Disney+ on your game console.
- In the Roku channel store, search for “Disney+.” If you find the app isn’t available, use a Roku-compatible VPN like ExpressVPN and connect to a server in the country your Disney+ account was created.
- Download the Disney+ channel to your Roku device. Once installed, you can select the channel to open it.
- Enter your Disney+ account information and start streaming! You’ll stay signed in to your account for easy access to your favorite Disney+ content.
Watch Disney+ abroad with ExpressVPN
How to Sign up With Disney+
Credit Card Method
You can sign up for Disney+ using a valid credit card that is registered to an address in your resident country.
- Get a VPN and connect to a server in your home country. ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers so you’re likely to find a connection in your desired location.
- Visit the Disney+ website. You’ll be prompted to enter your email address to start your subscription.
- Fill in your details. Create a secure password, and enter your card payment details — this includes your name, card number, expiry date, and security code.
- Click “Agree and subscribe.” You’ll get an email confirming your Disney+ subscription.
- Start streaming! You can stream Disney+ using your browser or download the app to a compatible device — log in to your account.
Google Play Gift Card Method
This method is ideal if you have an Android device, Amazon Fire Stick or TV, or a smart TV. You’ll need to keep your phone nearby when you sign up, as Google sometimes uses phone verification to ensure you are in the same country as your new account.
- Get a VPN and connect to a server in your home country. ExpressVPN’s secure connections keep your payment details safe when signing up for Disney+.
- Buy a Google Play gift card from Amazon. It’ll be sent directly to your email address.
- Set up a brand new Google Play account. You can do so in the “Google” tab found in “Settings” on your device. Use an email address that isn’t linked to your main Google Play profile, and make sure your location is set to your home country.
- Log in to Google Play using your new details and redeem your gift card. You’ll have to confirm your zip code or phone number.
- Download the Disney+ app and create your account using Google Play balance as your payment method. Remember to top up your Google Play wallet with another gift card when your Disney+ subscription is due for renewal.
- Start streaming Disney+!
iTunes Gift Card and a New Apple ID Method
- Download a VPN to your Apple device. ExpressVPN is the top service for iOS and Mac devices.
- Connect to a server in your home country. When connected, you can sign out of your Apple ID account on the App Store.
- Visit the Apple website and create a new Apple ID. Make sure to select your home country as your “Country/Region” and leave the “Payment Information” empty.
- Purchase an App Store and iTunes gift card on Amazon. You’ll find it in your email inbox once you complete your transaction.
- Log back into the App Store using your new Apple ID. Agree to the “Terms & Conditions” by selecting the checkbox.
- Select “None” as your payment option and provide an address and phone number in your home country. This can be your address, or that of a friend or family member.
- Redeem your App Store gift card in your account.
- Open the Disney+ app and sign up using iTunes as your payment option. Disney+ will take the funds directly from your iTunes balance so make sure to redeem another gift card before your next payment is due.
- Start streaming! You’re ready to watch your favorite Disney+ shows.
Hulu, ESPN, and Disney+ Streaming Bundle Method
This is a great way for US residents to save money on subscriptions, as you pay a single monthly price for all 3 services. However, it’s important to note that this method is only for US residents, and Hulu in particular does not allow the use of VPNs with its service — but you can use a VPN to sign up for the bundle if you’re a US resident traveling abroad.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US. I recommend you use ExpressVPN as it can reliably access Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN.
- Purchase a Hulu gift card from MyGiftCardSupply. Make sure it covers the price of the annual bundle subscription.
- Go to Hulu and select the streaming bundle at the bottom of the screen.
- Fill in your details and pay the monthly fee with the gift card. You may be asked to provide a US ZIP code as confirmation, so enter your home ZIP Code.
- Start using your account! You can now stream all your favorites from all 3 sites.
Stream on Disney+ with ExpressVPN
FAQs on Watching Disney+ with a VPN
Can I watch Disney+ in Australia, the UK, Canada, and the US?
Yes, Disney+ is available in Australia, the UK, Canada, and the US. If you live in any of these countries, you can sign up for a Disney+ account in a various ways — the easiest is by using a credit or debit card registered to a local address.
When traveling to these countries, you can access your Disney+ account. But the content you see might not be the same as in your home country due to copyright regulations. The only way you can watch your usual Disney+ content when abroad is with a premium VPN — connect to a server in your home country and log in to your Disney+ account to start streaming.
Can I watch Disney+ on smart TVs, iPhone and Android, and Fire Stick?
Can I get Disney+ on Amazon Prime or Netflix?
Is Disney+ better than Netflix?
It depends on your personal preference, as both Disney+ and Netflix are popular services with content suitable for a wide audience. Disney+ is more family-friendly, with native apps for multiple devices and a cheaper subscription price. Netflix arguably has a wider variety of content, but it is a more expensive option.
Disney+ has its own exclusive collection of movies and shows, which the company has been growing since the platform launched. But if you want to watch any Marvel Universe movies, Disney classics, or the latest releases and remakes, your only option is Disney+. That’s because all Disney content has been removed from other websites and is exclusively available on Disney+. Netflix’s own Marvel Originals series (like Jessica Jones and Iron Fist) remain on Netflix, but any future seasons were canceled as Disney now owns the rights to Marvel content.
The good news is that you can easily access both platforms using ExpressVPN and enjoy shows and movies from anywhere in the world.
Where is Disney+ available?
Can I watch Disney+ for free?
Can I use a free VPN to watch Disney+?
You can, but you won’t get the same high-level experience as you would when using a premium VPN to stream Disney+. Free VPNs are heavily restricted, with just a handful of server connections at most, speed throttling, and low data caps. You won’t be able to watch as much Disney+ as you want to, if you can even access the service in the first place.
While there are some safe and secure free VPNs on the market, they’re not suitable for streaming. Instead, I recommend you take advantage of a VPN with a long money-back guarantee, like CyberGhost. With CyberGhost, you get a generous 45 days — ideal if you only need a VPN for a short time, like going on vacation. You can stream Disney+ with CyberGhost as much as you want and get a full refund when you’re done.
The process is easy, taking a couple of minutes through the 24/7 live chat to arrange a refund. I had my money back less than a week later.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for Disney+?
No, it’s not illegal to use a VPN with Disney+. You are legally allowed to use a VPN to access your local Disney+ account when abroad, as long as VPN use is legal in your location. VPNs are prohibited in some countries (like China and Russia) so you could face repercussions if you’re caught using one.
Disney+ doesn’t prohibit the use of VPNs with its service. However, it goes against the terms of agreement to create a fraudulent account — for example, using a VPN to set up an account in a different country from where you reside. This can result in account suspension or termination.
What should I do if I get the Disney+ streaming error?
Even if you use a high-quality VPN to access Disney+, you may still occasionally run into the streaming error. This can happen if the platform detects a certain server’s IP address belongs to a VPN. But there’s no need to worry — you can fix streaming errors with these easy tricks:
- Restart and update your VPN app. This is often enough to fix your connection.
- Connect to a different server. Once your connection is established, see if your VPN is leaking your details using an IP address checker.
- Delete your cookies and cache. This will remove any possible trackers that Disney+ may have planted in your browser and you’ll seem like a brand new user.
- Enable the SSL/TLS encryption protocol and 2080 VPN port in your VPN settings. These will give you a better chance of accessing Disney+.
- Use the Disney+ app. Geoblocking technology works differently in browsers than in apps, so it may be easier for your VPN to bypass detection on the app version.
- Contact customer service. The VPNs on this list have helpful agents available 24/7.
Why can’t I find Disney+ on my Samsung TV?
How can I get Disney+ outside of the US?
What do I need to watch Disney+?
To watch Disney+, you need a Disney+ account and an internet connection with a minimum speed of 5Mbps. You’ll also need to download the Disney+ app to a device like a Windows PC, smartphone, smart TV, or Roku.
If you’re traveling abroad and want to watch your local Disney+ content, you’ll need a VPN. A service like ExpressVPN has superfast speeds for smooth streaming, and thousands of servers so you can easily connect to your home country. Plus, obfuscation on every server means you’ll be able to stream Disney+ from anywhere, even in countries with strict internet regulations.
Start Watching Disney+ Today
A subscription to Disney+ is the only reliable way to watch your favorite shows and movies. However, Disney+ isn’t yet available worldwide, so you’ll need a top-tier VPN to access it while traveling. That way, you don’t miss out on your favorite content when you’re abroad.
Of all the VPNs I’ve tested, ExpressVPN is the best choice for Disney+ in 2023. With ExpressVPN, you get high quality streams and easy access to Disney+ and other sites like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Better yet, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free for yourself. If you find you don’t like it, you can get a full refund within 30 days, as ExpressVPN is backed by a money-back guarantee. I tested it myself and easily got my money back in just 4 days.