5 Best VPNs for FRITZ!Box in 2021 (Easy Setup Guide)
There are no dedicated VPN apps for FRITZ!Box, but you can still use a VPN with FRITZ!Box. The first way is to establish a VPN connection from your personal device (like laptop or phone) to your FRITZ!Box. Alternatively, you can connect your router directly to your FRITZ!Box, but it must be DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.
To save you time and money, I tested the best VPNs out there and I found ExpressVPN is #1 for FRITZ!Box in 2021. It has a high-speed server network, router-friendly app, and access to streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
Don’t take my word for it though. ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can install it with confidence. You have 30 days to claim a refund if you’re not satisfied.
In a Rush? Here are the Best VPNs for FRITZ!Box in 2021
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN for FRITZ!Box with high-speed global servers, custom router app, and 30-day money-back guarantee. Try ExpressVPN now!
- CyberGhost — Great for streaming Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more, but slightly slower than ExpressVPN.
- Private Internet Access — Sells its own routers with the VPN pre-installed so you can easily pair it with FRITZ!Box, but most servers are in the US.
- HMA — Advanced security features to prevent online spying, but no 24/7 live chat option for customers.
- IPVanish — Supports unlimited device connections on a single subscription, but fewer overall features.
The Best VPNs for FRITZ!Box — Tested in September 2021
- 3000+ fast servers in 94+ countries
- Powerful 256-bit encryption hides your IP address
- Supports OpenVPN (TCP, UDP, L2TP-Ipsec, SSTP, and PPTP protocols
- Protect up to 5 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat for support when you need it
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for FRITZ!Box, with a global network of fast and secure servers that give you the most reliable connections for everything you do online with FRITZ!Box. With 3000 servers spread across every continent, I found my connection never slowed down nor interrupted due to overcrowded servers.
To ensure your data stays hidden, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy so that no information about you is ever recorded. It also comes with a Network Lock kill switch that blocks all internet traffic in the event of a connection drop.
I found ExpressVPN’s router app easy to set up but if you get stuck, you can contact a representative over 24/7 live chat. The benefit of installing it on your router is that all your devices — including Fritz!Box — will be automatically protected.
In my tests, I always found the customer support team to be friendly and helpful. Even when I tested the 30-day money-back guarantee policy to make sure it works, the representative wasn’t pushy and didn’t waste my time by convincing me to stay. My refund request was processed right away and I had the money back in my account 5 days later. I’m happy to report that it’s completely risk-free to try ExpressVPN with FRITZ!Box and confirm my results for yourself.
ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, Kodi, ESPN+, YouTube, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Blackberry, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and some routers.
September 2021 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 6900+ servers in 90+ countries with streaming-optimized servers
- 256-bit encryption for keeping your data private
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and WireGuard protocols
- Protects 7 devices at once
- 24/7 live chat support
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost is a Romanian-based VPN with optimized streaming servers for watching lag-free TV, movies, and sports on your favorite channels with FRITZ!Box. I easily connected to Netflix US, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video. I could always access my streaming accounts to watch without buffering (even in HD).
With 256-bit encryption, you can rest assured your data stays private when you use CyberGhost with your FRITZ!Box. It’s the highest level of encryption available — no hacker has ever found a way to crack it. CyberGhost also has a zero-logs policy, so none of your data is recorded (and can’t be seen or stolen).
Although CyberGhost doesn’t have a native router app, it’s still easy to configure. You can find excellent tutorials on CyberGhost’s website that will help you get it working with your FRITZ!Box. And if run into any problems, CyberGhost’s helpful support staff are available 24/7 through live chat.
When you try CyberGhost with its money-back guarantee, you get more time to use it than any other VPN on this list — 45 days. The only minor con is you need to sign up with a longer-term plan, but I tested it with the 90-year plan and it was really easy to get my money back via live chat. I used CyberGhost for 2 weeks and then asked for a refund, and the agent processed it without even asking why I wanted to cancel.
CyberGhost unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, Kodi, and more.
CyberGhost works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and some routers.
September 2021 Update: CyberGhost has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.25 per month for the 2-year plan (you can save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 34400+ servers in 78+ countries
- Powerful security with military-grade encryption and malware blocker
- Supports OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard protocols
- Secure up to 10 devices at once
- 24/7 customer support through email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) sells routers with the VPN already installed, making it really easy to set up with your FRITZ!Box. You won’t have to worry about buying a separate router and VPN, and figuring out how to configure them to work with your FRITZ!Box. There are 3 models to choose from depending on if you’d rather emphasize speed, performance (for larger homes), or affordability. If you prefer to use your own router, PIA is compatible with DD-WRT, Tomato, and pFsense firmware.
With 256-bit (military-grade) encryption, PIA keeps your data secure — but if you want faster speeds, you can customize your VPN protocol. 128-bit encryption is still powerful, and is useful for situations (like watching Netflix) when you want to emphasize speeds over security.
It’s worth noting that PIA is based in the US, which I’d normally find alarming as the US is known for its invasive mass surveillance practices. However, with its zero-logs policy, PIA promises that none of your data is ever recorded. It backs up that promise with the added security bonus of RAM-based servers. Servers that run on RAM never store any data — even if PIA’s servers were seized, your privacy wouldn’t be at risk.
You get almost a full month to try Private Internet Access risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like it, just reach out to customer support and you can get your money back.
PIA unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more.
PIA works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and some routers.
September 2021 Update! For a limited time only, save 77% on PIA's 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
- 1100+ servers in over 210 countries
- IP Shuffle and military-grade encryption protects your online privacy
- Supports OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols
- 1 account protects up to 5 devices at once
- Get help 24/7 via live chat or support tickets
- 30-day money-back guarantee
HMA has a Shuffle IP feature, constantly assigning you new IP addresses to use with your FRITZ!Box. This makes it almost impossible to track you online as your virtual location is always changing, keeping hackers and data-hungry marketers from knowing anything you do online. You choose how often you want your IP address to change whether it’s daily, every 30 minutes, or your own custom interval.
To secure your data and keep it hidden while you browse the web with FRITZ!Box, HMA uses 256-bit encryption. It’s the same level used by the global governments to hide sensitive documents, so you can rest assured nothing you do online will be known to anyone else. Just in case you lose connection to the VPN unexpectedly, HMA also has a kill switch that shuts off your internet so private data like your geographic location never leaks.
You can try HMA with FRITZ!Box risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. When I was done testing, I asked for a refund via a support ticket. It was slower than other VPNs on this list (which allow refunds over live chat), but I still got confirmation that night that my request had been processed. The money was in my bank account the following week.
HMA unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more.
HMA works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV Stick, and some routers.
September 2021 Update! HMA has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $2.99 per month with the 3-year plan (you can save up to 75%)! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it’s gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 1300+ servers in over 75 countries
- 256-bit encryption and multiple VPN protocols available
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, IKEv2, and WireGuard protocols
- Connect unlimited devices at the same time
- 24-hour live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
IPVanish lets you protect every device you own, so you can connect it to your FRITZ!Box, laptop, computer, smartphone, tablet, and even smart TV!
Since most VPNs can’t handle more than a handful of devices without slowdowns or patchy server connections, I put IPVanish to the test by connecting to servers on 8 devices: my FRITZ!Box, 2 Android phones, 4 Windows PCs, and a Windows tablet. Aside from a few seconds of lag at the beginning of TV shows, I was impressed that there was no noticeable slowdown.
I tested IPVanish’s speeds and was immediately impressed. After checking servers in Germany, the US, Japan, and the UK, I always got speeds over 80Mbps — fast enough to stream in 4K, video chat with no stuttering, or play online games completely lag-free. It’s also really easy to find the fastest IPVanish server in your country of choice. Just go to Settings, click the General tab, and check “Connect to best server in country.” Then pick your country of choice, IPVanish will start connecting to it automatically.
The only con to IPVanish is it doesn’t have as many advanced features as some other VPNs, like specialized servers for streaming or torrenting. However, IPVanish has a 30-day money-back guarantee, which gives you enough time to install it on your FRITZ!Box and make sure you’re happy with it. If you aren’t, getting your money back is really easy. Just log into your account online and go to the “Subscription” tab. Then click “I want to cancel my subscription.” Your refund will go through automatically — I had my money back in less than 4 days.
IPVanish unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
IPVanish works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and some routers.
How a VPN Works With FRITZ!Box
A VPN works by rerouting your internet traffic through its network of encrypted servers. Your real IP address will be hidden, which is essential as it can be used to trace your physical location. Instead of seeing your real IP address, hackers will only see that you’re connected to an encrypted VPN server. A concealed IP address also makes it more difficult for the websites you visit to track you. Since IP spoofing makes it look like you’re physically located in a different place, a VPN can help you bypass your local government’s censorships or even access your home Netflix library while traveling abroad.
Think of your FRITZ!Box as a house, and the apps you have installed as the rooms inside the house. An IP address not only holds information about the address of the house, but it also has “ports.” These ports are essentially doors into each room, or app. You can block those doors with a firewall (which FRITZ!Box includes), but it’s much better to simply prevent anyone from being able to break into your house to begin with.
Easy Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for FRITZ!Box
There are 2 options for using a VPN with FRITZ!Box: Installing the VPN on a compatible router or on your individual household devices. If you decide to use a router, you must make sure it runs Tomato or DD-WRT firmware and is compatible with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). For example, providers such as Comcast in the US and Sky in the UK may require you to use a router with specific protocols. If you’re unsure, contact your ISP to verify what your router options are.
Buy a VPN-Compatible Router (Tomato or DD-WRT Firmware)
- Download a VPN. ExpressVPN is a top VPN with an easy-to-use router app.
- Buy a VPN-compatible router. Make sure it’s compatible with your ISP.
- Install the VPN router app. Log in and connect to a server.
- Connect your FRITZ!Box to the router.
- Connect your devices to the FRITZ!Box. Now your device’s internet traffic is automatically routed through the FRITZ!Box first and the VPN router second.
Install a VPN on Individual Devices
This is the cheapest way to use a VPN with FRITZ!Box. While it’s not as convenient as installing a VPN onto a router to cover all your internet-connected devices at once, you won’t have to buy a new router with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware.
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN as it has a custom app for computers, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, and more. You can use it on up to 5 devices at once.
- Log in and connect to a server. ExpressVPN has over 3000 servers in 94 countries.
- Access the internet via your Fritz!Box. Your data is encrypted and you can browse online in the same location as your server country.
How I Tested & Ranked the Best VPN for FRITZ!Box
With so many similar VPNs, here’s how I picked the best provider to use with your FRITZ!Box.
- Device and router compatibility — I made sure the top VPNs work well on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, as well as being router-compatible with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware.
- Fast network of global servers — Slow VPNs mean you’ll have choppy video chat, laggy TV streams, and other problems using the web on your FRITZ!Box.
- Strong security and privacy features — Each VPN has a strict zero-logs policy, kill switch, and leak protection, so none of your data is recorded while you use your FRITZ!Box. Your data is further protected by military-grade encryption.
- 24/7 tech support — The top VPNs have 24/7 live chat so you can receive help whenever you need it.
FAQs: FRITZ!Box and VPNs
Does FRITZ!Box work with a VPN in China?
Yes, you can use FRITZ!Box with a VPN in China — but only if you choose the right VPN. Very few VPNs are advanced enough to connect in China due to the country’s powerful firewalls.
Luckily, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for FRITZ!Box and it works in China too. You’ll be able to connect with no issues, keeping your identity and activities totally hidden while you browse the open web using your FRITZ!Box. While you should exercise caution if you decide to use a VPN within China’s borders, you likely won’t be prosecuted for doing so. The common practice is that China fights VPNs by technologically blocking the services, and not by chasing after the people who use them.
Why use a VPN with FRITZ!Box?
In addition to keeping you anonymous and giving you extra security while you use the web with FRITZ!Box, the best VPNs for 2021 allow you to:
- Stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and other subscription-based streaming accounts (especially if you’re abroad for work or a holiday, and you want to catch up on your favorite shows)
- Catch live sporting events from your home country
- Bypass censorship in restrictive countries like China, Ethiopia, Iran, and more
- Torrent safely and anonymously over P2P networks
- Use public WiFi without worrying about potential hackers watching
Can I access my FRITZ!Box remotely?
Yes, although FRITZ!Box routers don’t have native VPN support, it’s still possible to set one up as a VPN server that can be accessed remotely.
Setting up your FRITZ!Box as a VPN server is a bit complicated, but you can find a step-by-step guide here. Once set up, you’ll be able to access your home network’s devices through your FRITZ!Box remotely. The only downside is that, unlike a regular VPN connection, your IP address will be visible to your ISP.
Stay Secure Online with FRITZ!Box and a VPN
Without a VPN, everything you do online through your FRITZ!Box router is exposed to spying third parties. That’s why I compiled a list of the best VPNs (with easy setup) for protecting your FRITZ!Box and keeping you safe online. You can even use it to access your online accounts and services abroad.
ExpressVPN’s huge server network gave me the fastest and most reliable FRITZ!Box connections of any provider. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you decide it’s not to your liking, it’s quick and easy to get your money back over 24/7 live chat (no questions asked).