5 Best VPNs for Poker – How to unblock Poker sites in 2019
Many countries have restrictions on online poker sites; some only allow localized players to compete, while others ban them entirely.
Even in the United States, there are complicated restrictions on playing online casino games and betting.
5 VPN Services to Access Online Poker Sites
There are many VPN providers available; however, prioritizing value and security, we recommend the following services.
- 5,000+ global servers
- 256-bit AES Encryption
- Kill Switch Feature
- Six simultaneous connections
NordVPN doesn’t log any customer data and provide superior security with CyberSec and Double VPN features.
The server network includes locations in over 60 countries, while apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
NordVPN offers 24/7 customer assistance, and 30-day money back guarantee on subscriptions.
- 2,000+ global servers
- Server locations in 90+ Countries
- Kill Switch
- DNS leak protection
ExpressVPN provides military grade 256-bit AES encryption, split tunneling, and do not log customer activities.
Protect all your devices with apps compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, and simultaneous connections on up to five devices.
New ExpressVPN accounts are permitted 30-day money back guarantee, while 24/7 customer assistance is available too.
- 1,000+ servers in over 60 Countries
- Kill Switch
- Unlimited bandwidth
- LAN traffic blocking
IPVanish VPN takes security seriously, with 256-bit AES encryption, and the option to enable OpenVPN obfuscation and timed IP switching.
24/7 customer assistance is available to resolve any issues you might experience, and new users can take advantage of seven-day money back guarantee if not completely satisfied.
- 2,000+ Servers, with 100 DDoS-Protected servers in the US and UK
- Malware Blockers
- Servers in over 60 countries
- Five simultaneous connections
CyberGhost VPN offers integrated ad-blocking, 256-bit AES encryption, no data logs, and it also automatically redirects HTTPS sites for you.
CyberGhost has applications for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices, and have a 45-day money back guarantee on all subscriptions.
- 100+ global servers
- 256-bit encryption
- Six simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
With PrivateVPN, users are protected with DNS and IPv6 leak protection, automatic kill switch, and zero data logs, which combine to ensure total security and anonymity.
PrivateVPN has apps for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows, and the 1-click-setup means users of all abilities can have the app running within minutes.
Using a VPN for Online Poker
Because of the illegality of online poker in specific areas, you may find sites blocked, as the geolocation tag in your IP address signifies where you are and prevents access. A VPN can bypass the geo-blocking protocol used by the sites via a proxy server.
However, VPNs can’t unblock all online poker sites as they require a payment method and can discern your location from your bank or PayPal account details. You may need to find sites accepting cryptocurrency to avoid this issue.
While the casino should have protection against attacks, their security does not extend to you specifically, and if your IP address is identified, you can be targeted.
Legal Issues facing Online Poker Sites
The legality of using online poker sites varies from country to county.
Wizcase does not condone or encourage the use of VPN services to conduct illegal activity and provide all information for educational purposes only.
Countries that Prohibit Online Poker
While some countries ban gambling, others only impose rules for specific activities and sites. The following is a list of all countries where it is illegal to gamble, with exceptions noted; however, it is in your best interest to check local laws before engaging in online poker sites.
- American Samoa
- Bangladesh – only land-based gambling illegal
- Barbados -only land-based gambling illegal
- Brazil – only land-based gambling illegal
- Cambodia – illegal for natives. Foreign visitors are allowed
- Cayman Islands – just land-based gambling and local online sites are illegal
- Cyprus – Online sports betting permitted with a license
- Czech Republic – only online lottery and sports betting legal
- Ecuador – only land-based gambling illegal
- France – just online casino gambling illegal
- Greece – some online gambling is illegal
- Guam – only land-based gambling illegal
- Guatemala – only land-based gambling illegal
- Iceland – online casino gambling and online poker illegal
- Italy – some online casinos are illegal
- Japan – only land-based gambling illegal
- Kyrgyzstan – only land-based gambling illegal
- Latvia – some online casinos are illegal
- Lithuania – some online casinos are illegal
- Luxembourg – online sports betting and online lottery are legal
- Mali – only legal for foreign visitors
- New Zealand – only online local casinos illegal
- Norway – only land-based gambling illegal
- Palau – only land-based gambling illegal
- Poland – just online sports betting is legal
- Qatar – only land-based gambling illegal
- Russia – online casino gambling and online poker is legal
- Saudi Arabia
- Turkey – just online sports betting and online lottery is legal
- Ukraine – only online lottery is legal
- United States – online operators and some online casinos are illegal (each law is different per state)
- Uzbekistan – just land-based gambling illegal
- Yemen – only land-based gambling illegal
United States Legislation
Of all the countries banning online poker, the United States has the most complicated laws. The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 makes it illegal to participate in online poker; however, some states have their own regulations.
In general, US citizens can legally join poker games through any foreign site permitting American players, while residents in New Jersey, Nevada, and Delaware can legally access sites based within their home state.