3 Best VPNs for the UK (Updated Local Servers in 2022)
The UK is strict when it comes to licensing and location restrictions. To watch your favorite British shows or access your UK bank account from abroad, you’ll need a UK IP address to get past geo-restrictions.
Using a reliable VPN is the best way to get a UK IP address for your online browsing needs, whether it’s watching Premier League football or an episode of your favorite show.
I’ve tested the 3 best VPNs in the market for bypassing geo-restrictions and fast connections to the UK. Here’s how you can get started with a VPN in 3 easy steps.
3 Easy Steps to Get a UK IP Address
- Get a VPN with UK servers — ExpressVPN is great for their large number of UK servers and fast, reliable connections.
- Install and launch your VPN.
- Connect to a UK server and start streaming, browsing, or banking!
Want to make sure you have a secure connection to the UK? You can use our IP Address Tool to check you’re connected to the UK.
3 Best VPNs for the UK
1. ExpressVPN — Excellent Geo-Bypass Technology for UK and Global Content
- 5 server locations in the UK
- Best-in-class encryption and TrustedServer technology for data security
- Unlimited bandwidth for unlimited speed
- Can be used on 5 devices at the same time
- Torrenting supported
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and most reliable VPNs for bypassing geo-restrictions. During my tests, I was really impressed with its ability to unblock Netflix across all 5 server locations in the UK.
I could also stream on Netflix and BBC iPlayer without any buffering and experienced zero lag with video chats. In fact, I had no trouble connecting and streaming on any service, including Spotify.
On top of that, ExpressVPN is fast — its connection speeds are consistently similar to my regular ISP speeds.
You can trust that your data stays secure as well, with a zero-logs policy, best-in-class encryption and its TrustedServer technology wiping all your data from servers with every reboot.
Some of you may have heard rumors about ExpressVPN’s secret campaign. I’m happy to share that the rumours are true — you can get 49% off and 3 months free, and still use the 30-day money-back guarantee if you change your mind later.
- ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, HBO, Soundcloud, Spotify, Pinterest, and more.
- ExpressVPN works on: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, Chromebook, Kindle Fire, Nook, Chrome, Firefox, games consoles, and Smart TVs.
2. CyberGhost — Optimized UK Servers for Streaming and Torrenting
- 993 servers in the UK
- AES-256-bit encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Unlimited bandwidth and zero throttling
- Protects up to 7 devices at the same time
- Optimized torrenting servers
CyberGhost knows that streaming country-specific content is important — which is why it has dedicated UK servers for a range of streaming platforms.
Using one of these optimized servers means you can bypass any geo-restrictions UK streaming services have in place. In fact, CyberGhost is one of the top VPNs for watching Netflix US, which is notoriously hard to stream from outside America.
It also features an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection, which ensures your sensitive data stays safe.
You can take advantage of CyberGhost’s 45-day money-back guarantee — with a no-questions-asked refund policy if you’re not satisfied. This is one of the longest and most generous money-back policies I’ve seen in the market.
- CyberGhost unblocks: BBC iPlayer, Eurosport, Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Wikipedia, Twitter, and more.
- CyberGhost works on: Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Fire TV, and Fire Stick.
3. IPVanish — Ease of Use Makes UK Connections Simple
- 103 servers in the UK
- Military-grade security — owns and operates the entire network
- Unlimited bandwidth for the fastest speeds
- Up to 10 connections at the same time
- Torrenting supported by SOCKS5 proxy
IPVanish is easy to navigate with few settings to adjust, which makes it a great choice for beginner VPN users. It also owns and operates all of its servers. There are no third parties involved so your connections and data are always protected.
Unfortunately, I was able to unblock Prime Video UK but I couldn’t get past Netflix’s proxy error.
IPVanish only has a 7-day money-back guarantee, but it’s still enough time for you to test out every feature and UK connection before you commit to a subscription.
- IPVanish unblocks: Facebook, Skype, Twitter, Spotify, YouTube, and more.
- IPVanish works on: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Windows phone, Linux, ChromeOS, and routers.
Why You Need a UK IP Address
A lot of the UK’s online content is inaccessible from outside the country due to geo-blocks — unless you have the right IP address.
By using a VPN, you can hide your true IP address and instead use one that makes your device appear as though it’s in the UK. This way, you can access new music on Spotify, log in to your UK bank account without additional verification, and stream UK-exclusive media.
So whether you’re a UK national traveling abroad or you want to access geo-blocked content, using a VPN will give you a UK IP address and stop you from missing out.
How a VPN Gets You a UK IP Address
A VPN creates a secure connection between your device and the internet. None of your data or browsing activities leak out and no spying eyes can see in — including websites and streaming services trying to find out your location.
When connected to a VPN, your true location (and IP address) is hidden. As you need an IP address to make connections online, a VPN gives your connection a different IP address based on the location of the server you’re connected to. So if you’re in the US and you connect to a UK server, you’ll be given a UK-based IP address.
By masking your true IP address, geo-restricted sites and services read your IP address as being in the correct location. You’ll get to access the content you want no matter where in the world you are.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Get a UK IP Address?
There are free VPNs that work well but you’ll find it difficult to connect to a reliable and 100% secure server.
Most free VPNs have a tiny selection of servers, so you’ll experience frustratingly slow connections and a challenge to get access at peak times. You’ll also be offered limited bandwidth, which is enough for casual browsing but not for watching movies or sports events.
Even more worryingly, free VPNs generate revenue through displaying ads, which often have tracking cookies designed to better target you and your browsing habits. These ads can compromise your location and personal data — not ideal if you’re using a VPN to remain anonymous online.
How to Save on VPNs for the UK
Connecting to the UK with a quality VPN doesn’t have to be expensive.
You can avoid paying full price on my top 3 VPNs by regularly checking for the latest deals, and still get premium services on all of your devices. Plus, all my recommended VPNs offer a money-back guarantee, giving you the option to try out every feature beforehand.
Insider Tip — How to Get a Good Price for Your VPN