3 Best VPNs to Watch Netflix New Zealand in 2021
If you’re trying to access Netflix New Zealand from abroad with a VPN, I have some bad news: you can’t.
Many review sites recommend VPNs that claim to unblock Netflix New Zealand — but they don’t actually work. After I tested 16 VPNs, none of them could access local Netflix NZ shows!
The good news is that the most popular Netflix shows and movies can be found on Netflix US. It’s the largest Netflix content library with over 5,000 titles (compared to New Zealand which has only 2,000 titles) and you can access them all from anywhere with a VPN.
I shortlisted the 3 best VPNs that I’ve tested to really unblock Netflix US from New Zealand and abroad. These VPNs all have fast speeds capable of streaming in HD with minimal lag, a variety of servers in each country so you get reliable connections, and the ability to bypass Netflix’s VPN-detection technology. As a bonus, they all have money-back guarantees so you can try them out for free for at least 30 days.
If you want a quick recommendation — ExpressVPN performed the best out of all the VPNs I tested. It has consistently fast speeds across all its servers and I could stream in HD with no buffering or lag. You can try it risk-free for 30 days using its money-back guarantee.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs to Access 5,000+ Netflix Shows from New Zealand (And Abroad!)
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN for watching US Netflix content with bufferless HD streaming and the fastest speeds. Free for 30-days using the money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost — Easily connect to an optimized Netflix server for smooth streaming, but can’t unblock Netflix Canada.
- PrivateVPN — Dedicated Netflix US servers with the best streaming connections, but has the slowest overall speeds.
3 Best VPNs to Watch US Netflix (and More) From New Zealand
- 3,000+ global servers and 25 US server locations
- Watch Netflix with minimal buffering
- No data caps for unlimited streaming
- Connect up to 5 devices at once
- 24/7 email and live chat support
During testing, ExpressVPN loaded every show and movie on Netflix US within 2 seconds — sometimes even instantly. This was the quickest load time out of all of the VPNs on this list. I had smooth streaming with minimal buffering after the initial load.
Your streams will still be high quality even when you’re multitasking online. You can watch Netflix and browse at the same time with minimum lag for either activity. I even tested this by playing Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Pharmacist on my Windows PC and Android at the same time while also reading Reddit — I didn’t have any slowdowns.
When I tested if ExpressVPN can unblock other Netflix libraries, I was able to seamlessly watch content in over 10 countries. This gives you endless content for binge-watching series from around the world. The 24/7 live chat support agent also confirmed that more official servers will be added in the future.
You can try ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee for free for 30 days— with no questions asked (even NordVPN requires you to answer a few questions before processing your refund)! All you have to do is request a refund on the 24/7 live chat within the 30 day trial period and you’ll get your money back in your account in a few days. When I tried this myself, it took less than 3 minutes to ask the agent to cancel and have my refund processed immediately!
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Disney+, ESPN, Kodi, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, SHOWTIME, FuboTV, and more.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, various smart TVs, select routers, and more.
- 1,700+ global servers and 11 US server locations
- Optimized Netflix servers provide the most reliable and smooth streaming
- Unlimited data to watch shows and movies nonstop
- Watch on up to 7 devices at once
- Live chat available anytime
CyberGhost frequently checks if its 11 optimized streaming servers can bypass the tough geoblocks, so you know they’ll work. This means you won’t waste time looking for the best server, but can spend more time actually watching. I didn’t need to wait more than a few seconds to start watching Netflix US with the server. Despite being across the world, it only took 30 seconds to start playing Uncut Gems in HD and very little buffering.
When I tested unblocking the other major Netflix libraries, I was able to successfully connect to its optimized Netflix servers for the UK and Japan, but didn’t find an option for Canada. I even tried connecting to the Canadian servers, but couldn’t get past the blocks either. Fortunately, this isn’t a problem — there aren’t many exclusive Canadian titles and you’ll still have access to thousands of popular shows and movies with Netflix US.
If you want to test the provider before subscribing, you can try CyberGhost’s Netflix servers for free for 45 days with its money-back guarantee. After a whole month of watching Netflix with CyberGhost, I requested a refund through the 24/7 live chat. The agent asked me a few questions about what was wrong before processing my cancellation. The entire process took a couple of minutes then the money was back in my account within 5 days.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Disney+, ESPN, Crunchyroll, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, SHOWTIME, and more.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more.
- 150+ global servers and 11 US server locations
- Dedicated Netflix US servers provide the best quality for streaming
- No bandwidth limits for unlimited streaming
- Watch on up to 6 devices at once
- Email support available, but live chat isn’t always available
While PrivateVPN has 11 dedicated US server locations (which is good for a basic VPN), it has a small server network which means it has a higher chance of overcrowding. The provider frequently checks if they work with Netflix so you have a better chance of unblocking the streaming service than with its regular servers. During testing, I was able to watch The Flash with just a few seconds of buffering.
If you want to watch exclusive content from other Netflix libraries, you have 32 global options with PrivateVPN — this is great for discovering new and interesting content from around the world! I was impressed that even the most distant Netflix servers worked reliably during my tests. The farthest servers from me in Japan buffered for less than a minute before streaming in high quality. Though these were the slowest speeds from this list, you’ll be able to stream in HD without further buffering after the initial load.
If you want to test the provider for 30 days for free, you can try PrivateVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply submit a customer support ticket to request your refund within the trial period.
PrivateVPN also unblocks: Disney+, ESPN, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, SHOWTIME, and more.
PrivateVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Galaxy Tab, select routers, and more.
Unblock Netflix US From New Zealand in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN — ExpressVPN is the #1 choice for bufferless HD streaming and super fast speeds.
- Connect to a US server. If your VPN offers Netflix-optimized servers, you can try that first for a more reliable connection.
- Start watching Netflix!
How to Choose the Best VPN to Watch Netflix US (and More) From New Zealand
Since there are so many providers on the market, it’s hard to find the best one that can unblock Netflix US. I tested each of the VPNs for the following features:
- Fast speeds for the best quality videos and shortest loading times.
- Large US server network to have as many options as possible for accessing Netflix.
- Reliable encryption to secure your online activity and keep your data safe while streaming.
- Money-back guarantee to test the features for free for at least 30 days.
- 24/7 support to help you get server recommendations if you have trouble connecting.
FAQs on Unblocking Netflix US From New Zealand With a VPN
🤓 Why do I need a VPN to watch Netflix US from New Zealand?
You need a VPN to bypass blocks to watch Netflix US shows and movies outside of the US. Netflix has some licensing agreements with copyright owners that make their content only available in the US — anyone else is blocked. To solve this issue, a VPN can disguise your real location with a US server that can give you access to over 5,000 titles from the biggest content library in the world.
While traveling abroad in Europe, I wanted to catch up with Kim’s Convenience but I was denied access from Netflix US. Instead of risking my online safety by downloading it from unverified sources, I can use a VPN to protect my Windows PC while unblocking one of my favorite shows from anywhere — the best of both worlds!
🤑 Can I watch Netflix US with a free VPN?
It’s possible, but you should avoid using them with Netflix. While there are a few free VPNs with decent reputations, most free VPNs:
- Can’t unblock Netflix or other popular streaming services.
- Reduce speeds and impose data caps, causing interruptions or slow connections.
- Have limited US servers, which can get crowded and slow your speeds while watching.
- Inject annoying ads into the web pages you visit.
- Sell your bandwidth to premium users without permission.
- Take advantage of your personal information by sharing it with advertising agencies and governments.
You can avoid all of these issues without spending any money. Try ExpressVPN’s 30 day money-back guarantee for free for 30 days to unblock thousands of shows and movies from Netflix US. I’ve gone through the process myself and got my refund within 5 minutes through 24/7 live chat.
😅 Can Netflix block my account for using a VPN?
Save on a VPN to Watch Netflix US From New Zealand
You can get a great deal on the best VPNs to access Netflix US from New Zealand and abroad. Check this coupon page for regularly updated VPN deals. If you want to test a provider before subscribing, you can try it for free for at least 30 days with a money-back guarantee!