5 Best VPNs for Netflix New Zealand in 2020Last Updated by Chase Williams on May 20, 2020
Important! You won’t be able to watch Netflix New Zealand from overseas. But, you can access 99% of the same movies and shows with a US or UK server. I found that NordVPN was the best VPN for streaming global content on Netflix from anywhere.
When I tried to watch Netflix New Zealand, none of the 15 VPNs I tested could unblock local content. Instead, I discovered that the majority of the same Netflix Originals was available on almost every Netflix content library.
Since the streaming service offers a different library for each of its supported countries, it’s difficult to know which server to connect to. To save you time, I found the top 5 VPNs with the biggest global Netflix libraries (US, UK, Canada, and Japan) that you can enjoy from anywhere.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs for Streaming Global Content on Netflix
- NordVPN — #1 VPN for watching Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan, and more. Enjoy fast speeds, lag-free streaming, and unlimited bandwidth for free for 30 days with a money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN — Instant streaming with almost zero buffering on its servers, but only has a few officially supported Netflix catalogs.
- CyberGhost — Easily connect to optimized Netflix servers, but doesn’t work with Canada.
- Surfshark — Unlimited device connections for all your devices, but fewer server options may limit content library options.
- PrivateVPN — 30+ dedicated Netflix servers for more streaming options, but has the slowest overall speeds.
5 Best VPNs to Stream the Best of Netflix From Anywhere
- 5,000+ global servers unblock Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, Netherlands, Spain, and India
- SmartPlay reliably unblocks Netflix anywhere in the world
- Unlimited bandwidth with no interruptions
- Enjoy Netflix on up to 6 devices on a single subscription
- Customer support available 24/7
NordVPN is the top VPN with lightning-fast speeds and access to the most popular Netflix libraries. All of NordVPN’s servers I tested were quick, reliable, and able to unblock Netflix (US #2984 and #5148, UK #1807 and #1372, Canada #798 and #514, and Japan #456 and #515). The service consistently provided high-quality streaming with no lag. In fact, the slowest was 171 Mbps — this was even faster than the other VPNs’ best speeds.
You can easily unblock 11 global Netflix libraries with NordVPN’s built-in SmartPlay feature. This allows you to bypass the streaming server’s location blocks without a problem when you’re connected. While Netflix Japan took about 25 seconds to stream Sherlock, the others loaded within 5 seconds. Every server I tested worked without a problem — all you have to do is choose a country.
NordVPN is one of few VPNs that allows you to access the biggest content library while maintaining the fastest speeds when you connect to New Zealand. This is a good option to get quicker speeds if you’re located closer to these local servers — and you can unblock Netflix US at the same time. When I tested New Zealand #33 and #64, they were actually faster than with the US servers. The quality was grainy at first while streaming Community then didn’t buffer after the initial 15-second load.
NordVPN can be connected on up to 6 devices at once, which is great for sharing with family or friends. Your connection will never be throttled with its unlimited bandwidth servers.
Don’t just take my word for it — you can trial NordVPN for free for 30 days with its money-back guarantee. This means you have about a month to test it with Netflix for free to see if it’s the right VPN for you.
NordVPN also unblocks: Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Vudu, SHOWTIME, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
NordVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Fire TV, select routers, and more.
- 3,000+ servers worldwide unblock Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, Germany, Italy, France, Sweden, Brazil, and more
- Watch Netflix almost instantly with minimal buffering
- No data caps for unlimited streaming
- Watch Netflix on up to 5 devices at once
- 24/7 email and live chat support
No matter which Netflix region I was connected to, ExpressVPN loaded every stream within 2 seconds — sometimes even instantly. This was the quickest load time out of all of the VPNs on this list. After the stream began, it remained consistently smooth and I had minimal buffering during my tests.
My fastest overall speeds with ExpressVPN were with the Toronto and UK – Docklands servers. You’ll have high-quality streaming with minimal buffering, so your other online activities won’t lag. I tested this by watching Netflix and YouTube in 4K at the same time while browsing — they didn’t buffer at all. Combined with unlimited data, you’ll be able to binge your favorite series with zero restrictions.
During my tests, I was surprised that ExpressVPN unblocks Netflix content in over 10 countries, even though it only officially supports the US, UK, and Canada. But this also means you might not be able to unblock the streaming service long-term (Netflix New Zealand used to work on its local server). When I contacted the 24/7 live chat support to ask about Netflix access, the agent confirmed that more official servers will be added in the future.
You can try ExpressVPN’s money-back guarantee for free for 30 days with no questions asked — this is rare for a VPN! All you have to do is request a refund from the live chat agent anytime and you’ll get your money back in your account in a few days.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SHOWTIME, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, various smart TVs, select routers, and more.
- 6,400+ global servers unblock Netflix US, UK, Japan, France, and Germany
- Optimized Netflix servers provide the most reliable and smooth streaming
- Unlimited data to watch shows and movies nonstop
- Stream on up to 7 devices at once
- Live chat available anytime
It’s easy to unblock your favorite shows and movies with CyberGhost’s optimized Netflix servers. CyberGhost frequently tests if these 11 options work, so you won’t waste time looking for a server for streaming Netflix. All you need to do is search for “Netflix”, connect to your preferred country, and start streaming!
While testing the 4 biggest content libraries, CyberGhost unfortunately didn’t support Netflix Canada. Fortunately, this isn’t a problem — you can access the majority of the same shows and movies by connecting to the other 3 country streaming options.
For the fastest speeds, you should choose an optimized Netflix server closest to your location. I didn’t need to wait more than a few seconds to reliably access Netflix with the US, the UK, and Japan. The UK was the closest to me and the quickest streaming server to load. Even the US and Japan (the farthest from me) only took 30 seconds to start playing! Despite the distance, I was surprised that all of CyberGhost’s dedicated servers provided HD quality and very little buffering.
If you want to test the provider before subscribing, you can try CyberGhost’s Netflix servers for free for 45 days with its money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Amazon Prime, HBO NOW, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SlingTV, Crunchyroll, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more.
- 1,700+ servers worldwide unblock Netflix in the US, the UK, Canada, Japan, Germany, Australia, and more
- Automatically redirects you to the biggest Netflix library in the US if you’re connected to an unsupported country
- Unlimited bandwidth servers for nonstop watching
- Watch on unlimited devices simultaneously
- 24/7 support through live chat or email
Surfshark is the only VPN on this list that can stream Netflix on unlimited devices simultaneously. I was able to connect 4 PCs, 2 phones, a Fire Stick 4K, and an iPad to watch Netflix and YouTube at the same time using just 1 subscription. My connection was stable and had almost no lag during my 30-minute test.
When I streamed Portlandia using the New York server and The Big Bang Theory with the London server, both started loading in full HD in just 3 seconds — this is impressively fast!
Like with NordVPN, Surfshark redirected me to Netflix US when I connected to an unsupported country. This means you can have faster speeds with a closer location and still have access to the biggest Netflix content library.
Since it has fewer servers than the top 3 VPNs, Surfshark might reach full capacity faster and potentially reduce your speeds if they’re too crowded. However, I rarely experienced slow speeds even with the distant Surfshark servers in the US or Japan!
You can test Surfshark’s 30-day money-back guarantee. I’ve tried the process myself and I got my refund back completely stress-free.
Surfshark also unblocks: Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Hotstar, DAZN, YouTube, and more.
Surfshark works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more.
- 150+ global servers unblock Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Ireland, and more
- 32 dedicated Netflix streaming servers
- No bandwidth limits for unlimited streaming
- Stream on up to 6 devices at once
- Email support available, but live chat isn’t always available
PrivateVPN has the most servers that officially support global Netflix libraries. I was impressed that even the most distant Netflix servers worked reliably during my tests. You just need to connect to the US, the UK, Canada, and Japan to access the most shows and movies. In addition to Australia, Brazil, and Ireland, these servers loaded in high quality within 13 seconds. This is great for watching new and interesting content from around the world since you have 32 different country streaming options with PrivateVPN!
PrivateVPN had the slowest speeds from this list, but I was able to watch Netflix in full HD without any interruption to my usual internet activity. My loading times were consistently fast at around 10 seconds regardless of the server location. It also has an unlimited data allowance, so even your most intense movie marathon won’t be an issue.
You can try PrivateVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee and explore its huge Netflix server selection. Simply submit a ticket to customer support to get your refund.
PrivateVPN also unblocks: Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO NOW, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SHOWTIME, ESPN, and more.
PrivateVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Galaxy Tab, select routers, and more.
How to Watch Global Content on Netflix in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN — NordVPN is the #1 choice for unblocking the most global Netflix libraries and has super fast speeds for streaming.
- Open the app and connect to the server you want.
- Start streaming Netflix!
How to Choose the Best VPN for Watching Global Content on Netflix
Since there are so many providers on the market, it’s hard to find the best one that can unlock the most shows and movies on Netflix. I tested each of the VPNs for the following features:
- Fast speeds for the best quality videos and shortest loading times.
- Large global server network to access as many Netflix libraries as possible.
- Reliable encryption to secure your online activity and keep your data safe while streaming.
- Money-back guarantee to test the features for free for at least 30 days.
- 24/7 support to help you get server recommendations if you have trouble connecting.
FAQs: Unblock Global Netflix Libraries With a VPN
💻 Why do I need a VPN to stream Netflix from overseas?
You need a VPN to bypass blocks to watch Netflix shows and movies anywhere in the world. Netflix has licensing agreements with copyright owners who may only make their content available in certain countries. Anyone outside of these countries is blocked. To solve this issue, a VPN disguises your real location with a different server that can give you access to certain content libraries.
While living overseas, I can’t access my favorite Netflix library in the UK. Instead of risking my online safety by downloading these shows and movies from unverified sources, I can use a VPN to protect my Windows PC while unblocking Netflix from anywhere — the best of both worlds!
💡 Can I watch global Netflix libraries with a free VPN?
It’s possible, but I recommend that you avoid using them with Netflix. While there are a few free VPNs with decent reputations, most free VPNs:
- Can’t unblock Netflix and other popular streaming services.
- Reduce speeds and impose data caps, which interrupts or slows your connection.
- Inject annoying ads into web pages you visit.
- Sell your bandwidth to premium users without permission.
- Take advantage of your personal information by sharing it with advertising agencies and governments.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get access to the best Netflix libraries and keep your data safe. Try NordVPN’s 30 day money-back guarantee for free for 30 days to unblock thousands of Netflix content all over the world. I’ve gone through the process myself and got my refund within 5 minutes through live chat.
❓ Can Netflix block my account for using a VPN?
Save on a VPN to Stream Netflix From Anywhere
You can get a great deal on the best VPNs to access Netflix from anywhere. Check this coupon page for regularly updated VPN deals. If you want to test a provider before subscribing, you can try it for free for at least 30 days with a money-back guarantee!