5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong (Updated Local Servers 2020)Last Updated by Lucca RF on May 14, 2020
Important! While Hong Kong still has access to the open internet, there are rumors that the country may face stricter internet censorship. China’s government is cracking down on Hong Kong’s citizens and several arrests have been made for anti-CCP comments. For these reasons alone, a VPN is a vital tool for staying safe online within Hong Kong.
Having a Hong Kong IP address gives you access to several sites and services that are only available in the region. If you’re traveling and need to access local banking or simply want to binge on ViuTV, you’ll need a premium VPN that can change your virtual location to Hong Kong in just a few seconds.
Additionally, a premium VPN hides your data and allows you to browse anonymously. While Hong Kong is a semi-autonomous region, the CCP’s growing scrutiny of its residents makes online privacy in the region increasingly important. For those inside Hong Kong, a VPN means you can be safer online and access previously blocked online content — a win-win.
To save you time, I’ve researched the 5 best premium VPNs to give you a Hong Kong IP address. My top choice is NordVPN (which you can try free for 30 days).
3 Easy Steps to Get a Hong Kong IP Address
- Sign up to a premium VPN — NordVPN is my top choice as it has fast Hong Kong servers for access to some of the region’s best content.
- Download and install the VPN.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a Hong Kong server. Start safely streaming, browsing, and downloading with a Hong Kong IP address!
Pro Tip — How to Check Your IP Address
If you’re not sure that you’ve connected to a Hong Kong server, you can use this simple IP address tool to check if your IP address has been successfully changed.
5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong
- 5,600+ servers with 80+ servers in Hong Kong
- Advanced encryption to secure your online browsing and downloading
- Secure up to 6 devices with one subscription
- Independently verified no-logs policy
- Unlimited bandwidth for no interruptions
NordVPN’s blazing-fast server speeds make it my top choice, allowing you to stream, download, and browse with minimal waiting times. While testing, my download speed only slowed by 14%, even though the Hong Kong servers are over 8,000KM from me!
These high speeds are in addition to NordVPN’s large network of 5,600+ global servers. This means you’ll always have a server close to you for a reliable and prompt connection. I tested 6 of NordVPN’s 80+ Hong Kong servers — #86, #108, #155, #85, #98, and #149 — and had fast and stable connections with all of them. I experienced no slow loading while browsing, and only very limited buffering while streaming.
With its fast speeds and huge server network, I find NordVPN offers the best solution for streaming global content. I connected to a Hong Kong server and was able to bypass ViuTV’s geo-blocks without any issues. Not only that, I could start watching He is Psychometric in HD with very minimal buffering (less than 5 seconds). With the unlimited data allowance, you’ll be able to stream as much as you want without being interrupted.
With internet surveillance being an increasing cause for concern in Hong Kong, you need to be able to trust your VPN provider. NordVPN showed that it takes user safety seriously when it successfully underwent an independent audit by PwC and published a report of the findings. This means its no-logs policy is one of the few actually backed by evidence. You won’t need to worry about your data being intercepted, as NordVPN uses class-leading encryption and a kill switch to prevent data leaks if your connection drops. Especially when connecting to a region where I’m worried about mainland China’s influence, NordVPN’s features mean I worry a lot less about my online security.
Don’t just take my word for it — you can try NordVPN for free for 30 days (using its money-back guarantee) before committing to a subscription. When I went through the refund process, the customer support team tried to troubleshoot first (unlike ExpressVPN which has a no-questions-asked policy). But in the end, they processed my refund within a few minutes and I received my money back within 5 days.
- NordVPN unblocks: ViuTV, Tencent Video, encoreTVB, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SHOWTIME, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
- NordVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, select routers, Fire TV, and more.
- 3,000+ servers with 3 servers in Hong Kong
- Military-grade encryption to keep your online activity anonymous
- Connect up to 5 devices at once
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- No data limits for non-stop usage
If you’re worried about Hong Kong increasing online surveillance due to pressure from China, ExpressVPN has several security features to keep you safe online. TrustedServer technology ensures your data is always erased from their servers (unlike other VPNs that temporarily store data). Its no-log policy has also been independently audited, so you can rest assured that your online activities can never be traced. After running several DNS leak tests, I was also impressed that my true location remained hidden from prying eyes. With these military-grade security protocols, it would be really hard for anyone to intercept your data.
By connecting to ExpressVPN’s New York server I was able to unblock the American-owned encoreTVB service. This hosts many of the most beloved TVB shows that are normally restricted to Hong Kong. I streamed Eye in the Sky within just a few seconds of being connected, with no further loading once the stream had begun. While connected to the Hong Kong – 4 server, I could also watch Mojin: The Lost Legend on Tencent Video with under 10 seconds of buffering. I tried to access ViuTV with ExpressVPN but stopped after several failed attempts.
While ExpressVPN is one of my favorite VPN providers, it does come at a slightly higher price than most. You can try ExpressVPN’s security features for free with its 30-day money-back guarantee to see if the service suits your needs. You can easily request a refund anytime through both email and live chat (and unlike most other VPNs, its refund policy is completely no-questions-asked). I’ve requested a refund from ExpressVPN myself and was happy to see that the guarantee is accurate!
- ExpressVPN unblocks: Tencent Video, encoreTVB, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SHOWTIME, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
- ExpressVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, various Smart TVs, Fire TV, Android TV, select routers, and more.
- 6,100+ servers with 70+ servers in Hong Kong
- Stay protected online with class-leading encryption
- Secure up to 7 devices at once
- Strict no-logs policy
- Unlimited data for reliable connections
CyberGhost has the largest server network on this list, with over 70 of them in Hong Kong. This means you don’t need to worry about overloaded servers leading to a slower experience. No matter where you go, CyberGhost’s 6,100+ global servers ensure you’ll always have a fast server nearby.
While testing CyberGhost, it gave me really fast speeds for streaming, downloading, and browsing with no lag and minimal buffering. I torrented a 400MB file in under a minute while simultaneously watching a 4K YouTube video and browsing the web, all with zero buffering or slow loading. I especially appreciate the unlimited bandwidth servers, perfect for those occasional all-day Netflix sessions. I tested the following CyberGhost Hong Kong servers, all of which worked without interruption: S401-i08, S402-i24, S403-i04, S403-i12, and S401-i02.
CyberGhost’s fast servers unblocked streaming sites Tencent Video and ViuTV with minimal buffering (under 10 seconds). If you like streaming, you can use the dedicated streaming servers to access many global content libraries.
While CyberGhost is a great VPN both outside and inside Hong Kong, I’ve tested it in China and was unable to bypass internet restrictions there. This may not be an issue for you, but if you do need a VPN proven to bypass the Great Firewall then I recommend NordVPN or ExpressVPN instead.
You can try CyberGhost for free with its 45-day money-back guarantee. This gives you plenty of time to access Hong Kong content, and you can contact customer support 24/7 by live chat or email anytime to initiate a refund.
- CyberGhost unblocks: ViuTV, Tencent Video, encoreTVB, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SlingTV, Crunchyroll, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
- CyberGhost works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, various Smart TVs, Fire TV, select routers, Android TV, Apple TV, and more.
- 1,040+ servers with 5 servers in Hong Kong
- Secure encryption for online anonymity
- Connect unlimited devices simultaneously
- No-logs policy
- Unlimited bandwidth servers for non-stop browsing
With Surfshark’s unlimited device connections you can protect all your devices, plus share the subscription with family and friends. As the cheapest VPN on this list, this makes Surfshark an extremely cost-effective choice. I tested the unlimited device claim by connecting to a server on 4 PCs, 2 phones, a Fire Stick 4K, and an iPad. All 8 connections were successful and remained active for 30 minutes until I disconnected.
Thanks to Surfshark’s fast speeds and strong ability to bypass geo-blocks, I was able to unblock ViuTV and stream Happy Half Hour in HD. While testing Surfshark, I was also able to access encoreTVB’s content catalog — with both a Hong Kong and New York server. Even when I played two 4K quality YouTube HK videos simultaneously, there was zero buffering. Combined with an unlimited data allowance, you can stream and download as much as you’d like without being slowed down.
The only minor issue I experienced with Surfshark was with its interface, with some options too hidden for easy access. Unlike some of the other VPNs on this list, you can’t see individual servers for each country. Instead, you have to choose the country and hope you’re connected to a fast server. While I haven’t had issues with slow servers because of this, having the freedom to choose is always preferable!
You can get Surfshark for free for up to 30 days to check the service yourself. See how convenient the unlimited device connections can be and maybe share them with interested family or friends!
- Surfshark unblocks: ViuTV, Tencent Video, encoreTVB, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, Hotstar, Hulu, DAZN, YouTube, and more.
- Surfshark works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, various Smart TVs, Fire TV, Android TV, select routers, and more.
- 150+ servers with 1 server in Hong Kong
- Strong encryption keeps your data hidden online
- Watch on up to 6 devices at once
- Doesn’t keep logs
- No bandwidth limits for fast speeds
While testing PrivateVPN, I appreciated its simple interface which allows you to choose the fastest server within seconds. On a few occasions, I was about to connect to a server, but after seeing the high latency I chose a better alternative.
Based on my tests, PrivateVPN can unblock most major streaming platforms, giving you access to huge content libraries (like Netflix US). While PrivateVPN’s dedicated streaming servers don’t extend to Hong Kong-based services, I was able to unblock Tencent Video and ViuTV where I streamed Mountain Girl in HD.
When it came to speeds, PrivateVPN surprised me as well. I assumed that the Hong Kong server would be slow as it was located over 8000km from me. But while connected, I managed to download a 1.5GB video torrent file in just 3 minutes — blazing fast for such a distant connection!
One downside of PrivateVPN is that it has the smallest server network on this list. I was slightly disappointed to see it offers only 1 Hong Kong server — but I judged too soon. After testing, I was positively surprised by its high performance and ability to access blocked content. If you happen to connect when the server is overcrowded you may experience slower speeds, but I never encountered this issue myself.
You can test PrivateVPN out for yourself with zero-risk using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Just be aware that using a credit card means a refund will take 5-7 days, compared to PayPal which only takes a day!
- PrivateVPN unblocks: ViuTV, Tencent Video, encoreTVB, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Now, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, SHOWTIME, ESPN, YouTube, and more.
- PrivateVPN works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chromebook, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Galaxy Tab, select routers, and more.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Hong Kong
The VPN market is incredibly saturated, so the VPNs I research and recommend have to meet certain criteria:
- High speeds: VPNs sometimes slow your connection, so ensure your chosen VPN is fast enough to stream, download, and browse without slow loading times or lag.
- Strong encryption: Your data needs to be secure as it travels from A to B. Check that your VPN is using at least AES 256-bit encryption so you’re safe online.
- Ability to bypass location restrictions: Many VPNs encounter errors when trying to unblock major streaming sites like Netflix. Look for a VPN that gives you access to the world’s most popular streaming services in your favorite locations.
- Large server network: More locations mean access to more content. Besides Hong Kong, check your VPNs server locations for other countries you want.
- Unlimited bandwidth allowances: Fast speeds won’t matter if you run out of data, so make sure your VPN has an unlimited data cap.
- No-logs policy: A VPN provider has to guarantee that your data is never logged. See if your chosen VPN service has been audited to be sure your activity isn’t tracked.
Why You Need a Hong Kong IP Address
With a Hong Kong IP address you can:
- Stream location restricted content from Hong Kong, like ViuTV or Tencent Video.
- Protect yourself online from hackers and government surveillance.
- Access banking and other business services that are only available in Hong Kong.
- Download torrents safely, including popular Hong Kong movies like Being Human.
How a VPN Gets You a Hong Kong IP Address
When you connect to a VPN server, it encrypts your data (hiding your activity) and temporarily provides you with one of the IP addresses it owns. When you now connect to a website, it will look like you’re in a different location, such as Hong Kong.
This allows you to access local content that would otherwise be hidden from you, like online banking, watching the news, or streaming your favorite shows like Go Siberia on ViuTV.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Get a Hong Kong IP Address?
There are a few free VPNs worth using, but many are known to have issues that make them a bad choice. For instance, they:
- Limit speeds and bandwidth, resulting in interruptions and slow loading times.
- Aren’t able to unblock many popular streaming platforms, including Netflix, Prime, or BBC Player.
- Sell free users’ bandwidth to premium users without warning.
- Inject targeted ads into your browser.
- Track your activity and sell your data.
Premium protection doesn’t need to come at a high cost. In fact, you can even try out NordVPN for free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. I can even promise you that it works, as I’ve gone through the process myself.
Are VPNs Legal in Hong Kong?
With mainland China cracking down on VPN usage, you may wonder if Hong Kong’s government is acting similarly. Fortunately, it’s legal to both use a VPN to get a Hong Kong IP address and use a VPN when inside Hong Kong itself.
With the CCP increasingly cracking down on internet freedoms in China and applying more pressure to Hong Kong, it’s vital to keep your online activity private. While Hong Kong’s internet is not behind the Great Firewall as mainland China’s is, it’s known that citizens in Hong Kong have been surveilled and arrested for simply exercising their right to free speech.
How to Save on VPNs for Hong Kong
Getting a reliable VPN for Hong Kong shouldn’t be an expensive or difficult task. There are numerous VPN deals online, but many are misleading or even fake. I’ve collected deals that will save you a minimum of 57% to break down your savings and what else is included.
All of my VPN picks also have money-back guarantees, meaning you can try them out with zero risk! Start saving today and see which VPN is the right one for you.
How to save even more on a VPN!
- Save up to 70% on a NordVPN subscription with this coupon. NordVPN’s 3-year plan offers the biggest savings.
- Use this discount to get up to 79% off your CyberGhost subscription. This helps make CyberGhost one of the most affordable VPNs on the market.
- Get Surfshark’s 2-year deal for 84% savings. This makes Surfshark the cheapest VPN available on this list.
- Check our PrivateVPN deal page for 65% off.