Does IPVanish Still Work with Netflix? (Updated September 2022)
Netflix’s geo-blocking capabilities are becoming more and more sophisticated, and a lot of VPNs are struggling to keep up. If you’re an IPVanish subscriber who still can’t access your Netflix library, you’re not alone. IPVanish doesn’t always work with Netflix, but some of its servers unblock a couple of libraries (e.g. US, Australia, and Japan). Looking for an IPVanish server that works with other libraries can be difficult, so you might be better off using an alternative if you need to access a non-US library.
After putting 30+ VPNs to the test, ExpressVPN turned out to be the best IPVanish option. ExpressVPN effortlessly unblocked 18 Netflix libraries and allowed for Ultra HD streaming every single time. Don’t take my word for it: test ExpressVPN yourself, risk-free. It’s covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can easily claim a refund if you don’t like it.
Quick Guide: How to Use IPVanish to Watch Netflix
- Download IPVanish. IPVanish is compatible with most devices and allows unlimited simultaneous device connections. Try IPVanish risk-free: all plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server. After installation, log in using your IPVanish account. Connect to a server located in the same country as the Netflix library you want to access.
- Log in to Netflix and start watching. If you encounter any issues, you might have to reconnect to another server in the same location.
IPVanish Servers that Work With Netflix
IPVanish’s servers in Los Angeles, Denver, Atlanta, New York, and Chicago unblocked Netflix US. My teammates and I tested over 50 IPVanish servers all over Europe and Asia and found a couple of servers that unblocked Netflix in Japan, Australia, and Germany. If you’re just looking to access Netflix US, IPVanish will likely work without a hitch.
However, IPVanish might not work as smoothly if you need to access other libraries: we had to comb through IPVanish’s list of servers in each country (we tested all 56 servers in Germany, for example) just to find 1 or 2 servers that work. That’s a lot of work, especially if you just want to watch your favorite shows at the end of a long day.
Once you’ve found a server that works with your chosen Netflix library, you can save it as a favorite. However, Netflix’s VPN-blocking mechanism habitually blocks IP addresses, and so IPVanish is constantly updating its servers.
If you need a VPN that consistently unblocks any Netflix library, try ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN’s servers unblocked most Netflix libraries during testing. On the first try, my teammates and I unblocked various Netflix libraries; we didn’t need to look hard for specific servers that worked. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Good Reasons to Use IPVanish with Netflix
With a vast network of 2000+ high-speed servers in 75 countries, IPVanish can handle almost anything you throw at it. The following features make IPVanish an excellent VPN to use with Netflix:
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections. While most VPNs on the market limit the number of devices that can connect simultaneously, IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous device connections. This is a useful feature, especially if you’re a part of a big household and are looking to share a subscription with friends and family.
- Multiple server options that work with Netflix US. IPVanish has more than enough server options to unblock Netflix US — perfect if you’re traveling and looking for a way to continue binge-watching US shows wherever you might be.
- High-speed servers. Repeated speed tests on IPVanish servers showed average speeds of 100 Mbps on local servers, making it one of the fastest among the 30+ VPNs I tested for Netflix.
- Informative UI. IPVanish’s map view shows how many servers are available in each region. The list view gives information such as the ping and load rates, allowing you to connect to the fastest server for Netflix at a glance.
What To Do If IPVanish is Detected by Netflix
If you keep on getting the dreaded “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy notice” while connected to an IPVanish server, try the following fixes:
- Switch to a different server. Try connecting to a different server located in the same country. Then, restart the browser and try again.
- Change the VPN protocol. Go to the Settings area and switch from OpenVPN to WireGuard, or any of the 3 protocols that IPVanish offers.
- Clear your cache and cookies. Test if it’s a cache or cookie issue by connecting to an IPVanish browser, starting an incognito session, and logging in to your Netflix account. If it works perfectly in incognito, it’s a cookie/cache issue. Clear your browser’s cache and cookies, restart your browser, and try again.
- Check if IPVanish is up-to-date. If it’s not, update the app and see if that fixes the issue.
- Contact customer service. You can contact IPVanish’s customer support via live chat or email and ask for server recommendations.
- Resolve a possible WebRTC or DNS leak. Run a test to see if you’re having a WebRTC or DNS leak. If you are, follow this DNS leak fix and this WebRTC leak guide from the IPVanish website.
- Use a different VPN. If issues persist, maybe it’s time to switch to a more reliable VPN. IPVanish plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so don’t hesitate to claim a refund if you’re eligible. Looking for a more reliable VPN? I recommend ExpressVPN — its high-speed servers work well with Netflix; I always get access to my chosen Netflix library on the first try. You can even try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The Best IPVanish Alternatives for Netflix
1. ExpressVPN — Best VPN Offers a Large Network of Lightning-Fast Servers that Work Reliably with Netflix
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries that reliably work with Netflix
- Lightning-fast connection speeds allow for Ultra HD quality streaming
- Enjoy Netflix shows on 5 devices simultaneously
- AES-256 encryption, kill switch, leak protection, TrustedServer technology, and audited no-logs policy keep all your online activities private
- Customer support available via 24/7 live chat, extensive knowledge base, detailed video guides
- 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to try it with Netflix without any worries
After testing around 30+ VPNs, I can confidently say that ExpressVPN is the best IPVanish alternative for Netflix. While IPVanish (and most other VPNs) require multiple attempts to access my chosen library, ExpressVPN secured a stable connection on the first try. From time to time, Netflix would detect IPVanish, which can be annoying, especially when I was midway through a show. I experienced none of that while I was connected to ExpressVPN: I binge-watched shows without experiencing a single drop in connection or quality. Not even once did I see the Netflix proxy error message.
Speed is another factor where ExpressVPN outshines most VPNs in the market. After running multiple speed tests on various ExpressVPN servers worldwide, I got an average speed drop of just 12%, the lowest among all the VPNs I tested. My usual speeds were around 105 Mbps, and my ExpressVPN speeds stayed close to my default, no matter which server I was connected to. I enjoyed my favorite Netflix shows in Ultra HD.
I wanted to check how many global Netflix libraries can be accessed with ExpressVPN servers, so I enlisted my teammates’ help. ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs to access Netflix’s US library and Netflix’s UK, Japan, Brazil, and Australia selections. Our tests confirmed that ExpressVPN works seamlessly with 18 global Netflix libraries (the most among all the VPNs I tested for this article), so it’s a great VPN if you need to access your original Netflix library wherever you might be. As a digital nomad, I can make the most out of the streaming subscriptions that I’ve already paid for.
Device-switching is easy with ExpressVPN: it’s compatible with most devices and operating systems. IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous device connections (which is a major win), but ExpressVPN’s provision for 5 simultaneous connections is enough for my devices. I can keep my phone, laptop, and tablet permanently connected to my favorite server and immediately resume watching on any device I want.
I was also impressed by ExpressVPN’s customer service. When I reached out to customer support via live chat, I was connected in a few minutes. A knowledgeable representative answered my questions and provided straightforward solutions. ExpressVPN’s website also has extensive troubleshooting pages that make it easy to fix any basic issues yourself.
While ExpressVPN is slightly more expensive than IPVanish, the difference is palpable in terms of reliability and speed. You can also make savings of up to 49% off if you choose ExpressVPN’s 1-year plan. But don’t take my word for it — you can experience how well ExpressVPN works with Netflix risk-free. All ExpressVPN plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it all you want and request a refund if you’re not satisfied. When I requested a refund via live chat, the representative approved it immediately, no questions asked. I was fully refunded in less than a week.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, YouTube TV, Kodi, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chromebook, Game Consoles, Linux, Smart TVs, Chrome, Firefox, and Routers.
September 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 8100+ high-speed servers in 91 countries
- Netflix-optimized servers provide instant streaming access
- Share Netflix access to 7 devices at the same time
- Military-grade encryption, kill switch, and a strict no-log policy protect your data online
- Live chat and email support are available
- Test it with Netflix for 45-days, risk-free
CyberGhost’s streaming-optimized servers list simplifies the process of choosing servers that work with Netflix. By clicking the “For streaming” tab, I got a list of streaming-optimized servers that worked seamlessly with my original Netflix library. The CyberGhost team regularly tests the servers on this list, ensuring access to various Netflix libraries, including (but not limited to) Netflix US, Korea, Japan, Germany, France, and Spain. While using CyberGhost, I didn’t have to guess which server works (my number one issue with IPVanish); I could immediately connect to one.
Testing showed good speeds, with a catch — CyberGhost’s speeds are noticeably faster if you’re connected to nearby servers. Connecting to servers in Australia (from my location in South America) resulted in a major speed drop, though not enough to affect my streaming experience. If your default connection speed is slow to begin with, I recommend you connect to a server close to where you are to prevent possible quality degradation.
There are options to improve CyberGhost’s speeds. CyberGhost offers some of the fastest protocols on the market, including the open-source WireGuard protocol and L2TP. Switching to these protocols (you can easily switch protocols from the settings tab) will boost your connection speed, especially if you’re only planning to use CyberGhost for streaming on Netflix and don’t require extra layers of security.
While CyberGhost’s one-month plan can be quite pricey (and backed only by a 14-day money-back guarantee), CyberGhost’s 3-year-year plan takes the monthly rates all the way down to $2.19 per month, making it one of the cheapest monthly VPNs to watch Netflix with. The best part is it’s backed by a generous 45-day money-back guarantee (the longest money-back guarantee among all the VPNs I tested), so you can try it with Netflix for more than a month, risk-free. If you change your mind, you can easily claim a refund. I tested this guarantee myself.
I wanted to see if CyberGhost’s money-back guarantee works by claiming a refund 30 days into my subscription. The customer service representative that I was connected to approved my request in minutes, and my payment was back in my account in a few days. If you’re looking for a VPN that works well with Netflix for a fraction of the price, CyberGhost is worth checking out.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Crunchyroll, and more.
CyberGhost works on: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Game Consoles, Linux, Smart TVs, Chrome, Firefox, and Routers.
September 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 82%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 35000+ servers in 84 countries for guaranteed access to various Netflix libraries
- Large server network prevents overcrowding and ensures consistently good speeds for watching Netflix shows in HD
- Access Netflix on 10 devices at the same time
- Military-grade encryption, no-logs policy, and a built-in ad, malware and tracker blocker add an extra layer of protection online
- Customer support available through 24/7 live chat, email, and knowledge base
- Covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA)’s network is made up of 35000 servers in 84 countries, the largest server network among all the VPNs I’ve tested. This extensive server network guarantees you get access to your original Netflix library and other location-locked platforms with PIA. I was surprised by how effective PIA servers were — my teammates and I were able to unblock 6 Netflix libraries, including Netflix US, UK, and Japan. Like CyberGhost, PIA also has streaming-optimized servers. The servers aren’t organized based on streaming service, but it’s still easy to find the right one for your needs.
Repeated speed tests on PIA servers showed average speeds of 100 Mbps on local servers. While I did see some slowdowns on the speed test results, I barely noticed the difference while streaming: I still watched shows and movies in HD and without buffering. While connected to far-away servers, PIA’s speeds might cause noticeable issues, especially if your WiFi connection is slow. If you need an extra boost to your PIA speeds, you can switch to the much faster WireGuard protocol.
The VPN has dedicated apps for most devices and operating systems. No matter which device I’m using, PIA’s UI is easy to use: the home screen offers a list of Quick Connect options so you can choose the fastest servers immediately. You can share PIA’s entire server network with everyone in your household as soon as they connect to the Wi-Fi.
I stream a lot, so I appreciate a VPN that works with as many platforms as possible. Unfortunately, PIA doesn’t work with BBC iPlayer, no matter which UK server you’re connected to. It works flawlessly with Hulu, Disney+, APV, Vudu, and Showtime. If you need access to BBC iPlayer, ExpressVPN is the best choice.
Install PIA on your devices (or routers) and see how well it works with Netflix. It’s already one of the best value VPNs available, but you can also save 82% with its 2-year plan and pay as little as $2.19/month. PIA plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can claim a refund if you decide that it’s not the VPN for you. The refund process via PIA’s live chat is easy — it only took a few minutes, and my money was back in 5 days.
PIA also unblocks: Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Sky Go, YouTube TV, Kodi, and more.
PIA works on: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Game Consoles, Linux, Smart TVs, Chrome, Firefox, and Routers.
September 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 81% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
Comparison Table: IPVanish vs. Other VPNs for Netflix
|Servers||Speed (average speed drop)||# of Netflix libraries unblocked||Simultaneous device connections|
|IPVanish||2000 servers in 75 countries||37%||4||unlimited|
|ExpressVPN||3000 servers in 94 countries||12%||18||5|
|CyberGhost||8200 servers in 91 countries||36%||8||7|
|PIA||35000 servers in 84 countries||45%||6||10|
How I Tested and Ranked the Best IPVanish Alternatives
I tested over 30+ of the best VPNs on the market to find the most reliable IPVanish alternatives. The top 3 that made this list were chosen based on the following criteria:
- Server network size – The more servers a provider has, the more options you get in terms of Netflix libraries. These VPNs have an extensive server network which prevents overcrowding, so you can be sure you’re getting the best connection quality possible.
- Speed – The IPVanish alternatives on this list offer speeds that are good enough for Ultra HD streaming, regardless of how far your actual location is from the server you’re connected to.
- Unblocks multiple libraries – All the providers recommended here unblock a lot of Netflix libraries.
- Simultaneous device connections – The VPNs discussed in this article allow you to connect multiple devices simultaneously.
- Customer service – I ensured the providers on this list offer top-tier customer service via various channels.
FAQs About Watching Netflix with IPVanish
Why is IPVanish not working with Netflix?
The IPVanish IP that you’re using has most likely been blocked by Netflix. IPVanish is not immune to Netflix’s VPN-detection technology; no VPN provider is. When you connect to a VPN server, you’re using the same IP address as many other users. IP address sharing keeps the costs down and ensures complete anonymity. When Netflix sees hundreds of users with the same IP address, it becomes evident that the IP address is from a VPN. Netflix then blocks the IP address.
This differentiates good VPNs like IPVanish from excellent VPNs. Quality providers like CyberGhost regularly test their servers to ensure that subscribers use CyberGhost IP addresses that streaming providers haven’t detected. Once an IP address has been blocked, it’s immediately replaced by a “fresh” undetected one.
Will IPVanish slow my streaming speeds down?
Yes, IPVanish will slow your streaming speed. This is because when you connect to IPVanish (or any other VPN), your traffic travels to an alternative server, resulting in minor slowdowns. IPVanish is quite fast, with an average speed drop of 37%. While that can be good enough to stream in HD, IPVanish is still slower than ExpressVPN, which had an average speed drop of just 12% in my tests.
What is the best VPN for watching Netflix?
ExpressVPN is the best IPVanish alternative for Netflix. Out of the 30+ I tested for this article, no other VPN beat ExpressVPN’s speeds, reliability, and customer support. I never encountered the proxy error, even though I watched many different shows while connected to ExpressVPN.
Can I use a free IPVanish alternative to access Netflix?
Yes, you might be able to find a free VPN that works with Netflix, but I don’t recommend it. Rather than waste your time and energy, you can take advantage of a premium VPN’s money-back guarantee to get it completely free.
Free VPNs can’t afford to keep up with the latest server technology and can rarely bypass Netflix’s location filters. In some cases, free services even compromise your privacy by selling your personal information to data brokers and third-party advertisers.
While some safe freemium VPNs can access Netflix, streaming is almost always reserved for paying customers. To encourage you to become a paying customer, these providers will block streaming for free users, impose super-low data limits, and restrict you to just a handful of servers.
Access Netflix with The Best IPVanish Alternatives Today
There’s nothing more irritating than seeing Netflix’s proxy error while connected to a VPN. If you’re currently using IPVanish, you might have recently experienced this yourself. Luckily, IPVanish is slowly improving its service and adding more servers that work with Netflix. The problem is the improvements are not rolling in fast enough for users that purchased an IPVanish plan to enjoy their Netflix subscription from anywhere.
If you’re a frustrated IPVanish subscriber who’s tried every IPVanish fix to no avail, maybe it’s time to consider alternatives. No other VPN beats ExpressVPN in terms of reliability and speeds. Experience how well ExpressVPN works with Netflix. All ExpressVPN plans are backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you decide that it’s not the VPN for you, you’ll be eligible for a refund. I tested the refund process myself — my money was back in my account in 3 days.