How to Watch the 2019 Rugby World CupPublished by Kate Hawkins on August 27, 2019
The Rugby World Cup is back! Incredible teams like the New Zealand All Blacks, the Australian Wallabies, and the South African Springboks are vying for the top spot.
2019 is the first time the tournament is being hosted in an Asian country. Broadcast from Japan, most of the world will be able to see this action-packed event. If you find the broadcast is restricted in your region, using a VPN lets you change your virtual location. This way, you can stream Rugby World Cup games using a free local service or by signing in to your premium service account.
Here are some of the ways you can watch Rugby World Cup matches from wherever you are.
How to Watch for Free on ITV in the UK
ITV is the official tournament broadcaster in the UK. There are 2 ways you can use your VPN to watch matches — on the ITV Hub and via TVPlayer.com.
Using ITV Hub
- Connect to your VPN service. My top recommendation is ExpressVPN based on their fast speeds.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Visit ITV.com and create a free ITV Hub account. To create a free account, you need to enter a UK postal code.
- Sign in to your free account and start streaming!
TVPlayer.com is a service which allows the user to watch free UK-based channels, including ITV.
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN is my top recommendation
- Create a TVPlayer Basic account for free.
- Choose the free ITV channel broadcasting the Rugby World Cup.
- Stream your desired match.
Watch Rugby World Cup Matches on 10 Play
10 Play is an Australian VOD and live-streaming service from Network Ten. 10 Play will only be showing the Australian team’s games and the World Cup finals.
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN is my top choice because it passed my tests with 10 Play and streams in HD.
- Connect to a server in Australia.
- Visit the 10 Play site and create a free account.
- Choose the match you want to stream and enjoy!
Watch All 48 Games on eir sport
If you have broadband service or subscription with eir, you can use its eir sport service to watch the World Cup. The service is geo-restricted — therefore, it can’t be viewed outside of the Republic of Ireland unless you’re traveling in an EEA (European Economic Area) state. So if you’re outside of this area, you’ll need to use your VPN to access the service.
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN has several high speed servers in Ireland to choose from.
- Connect to a server in the ROI or an EEA state.
- Sign in to your eir sport account.
- Watch matches live or on-demand.
Top 3 VPNs for Watching the Rugby World Cup
When you’re choosing a VPN, look for a service which offers:
- A range of server locations.
- Smooth streaming with minimal buffering.
- A low connection drop-rate.
My top 3 VPN choices will let you stream Rugby World Cup action with ease, so let’s take a look.
1. ExpressVPN: The Best VPN for Uninterrupted Streaming
- 3000+ servers in 160 locations in 94 countries
- Connect up to 5 devices at the same time
- Broad device and OS compatibility
- Superior geo-restriction unblocking
- Consistent connectivity and download speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN excels in every area and it’s my top choice to stream Rugby World Cup games. The considerable number of servers in different locations makes connection simple. Download speeds are excellent, and it’s able to maintain smooth streams to make sure you don’t miss any of the rugby action!
During my tests, connection drops were few and far between. In the event that the connection drops, the kill switch kicks in automatically, keeping your data secure. Auto-reconnect gets you back to the game in just a few seconds.
What I found the most impressive was ExpressVPN’s ability to bypass even the toughest geo-restrictions. I could access content in every location I connected to. Region-unblocked viewing means you’ll be able to watch Rugby World Cup matches no matter where you’re located.
2. NordVPN: Premium Security Features at an Affordable Price
- 5700+ servers in 60 countries
- Connect up to 6 devices at the same time
- Compatible with lots of devices and OS
- Advanced security technology, including CyberSec
- Close-to-zero buffering during streaming regardless of server location
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is an excellent choice if your priority is to watch the Rugby World Cup matches while using top security features. DNS leak protection and a zero-logging policy keep your browsing private and your personal data safe. Additional layers of security are available, like double encryption and obfuscated servers, increasing your protection while you access rugby content.
Having premium security features gives NordVPN the ability to bypass geo-blocking with ease. You can stream Rugby World Cup matches from anywhere in the world — no matter where you are or if you’re traveling, you’ll be able to access your content.
NordVPN’s 5700+ servers means faster load times for you — and no buffering at the most essential parts of the match! I found download speeds were good no matter which server I connected to, with smooth streaming and consistent resolution.
3. CyberGhost: Sports Streaming Optimization
- 4800+ servers in 58 countries
- Connect up to 7 devices at once
- Dedicated sports service servers (for Eurosport, ESPN, and more)
- DNS-leak protection, zero-log policy, and killswitch as standard
- Geo-unblocking capabilities
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost recognizes how important sports streaming is for VPN users. It has dedicated servers for sports services to keep streams smooth and buffering to a minimum. By hiding your IP address, CyberGhost can access streaming sites around the world, meaning you can watch Rugby World Cup matches wherever you are.
Every CyberGhost package includes unlimited data with no bandwidth throttling so you can stream as many matches as you want. With the ability to connect 7 devices at once, you won’t miss your favorite team or have to choose between games.
You can guarantee your security and anonymity by connecting to CyberGhost’s NoSpy Servers. Its zero-log policy is strongly enforced, along with an automatic kills witch if the connection drops even for a moment.
Rugby Fan in New Zealand Without Spark Streaming? You’ll Need a VPN
New Zealand fans without the Spark streaming service will have trouble watching all Rugby World Cup matches. For homes without HD broadband capabilities, a VPN can get you access to the games as they happen.
All Blacks games aired on free-to-air TV will be delayed by an hour — not ideal if you want to see the action live. To see the games live, you’ll need a VPN to watch the matches via a different streaming service. That way, you won’t miss a moment of the tournament as it happens.
Watch the 2019 Rugby World Cup with ExpressVPN
Don’t Let Anything Stop You from Watching the Rugby World Cup
Sport unites us, but geo-restrictions and local broadcasting rights can stop you from viewing sporting events. Using a VPN means you can stream Rugby World Cup games from anywhere. With my top choice VPNs, you can get full access to every rugby match while keeping your data protected — all for the price of a cup of coffee per month.