How to Pay for Disney+ From Anywhere — Still Works in 2023!
It’s not easy to pay for Disney+ if you’re not in the right country. Disney checks your IP address and the country of your payment method when you sign up — and blocks your subscription if it doesn’t match.
Luckily, there are still options if you’re working abroad or your credit card expires when you’re on vacation. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can connect you to its global network of servers, allowing you to pay for your Disney+ account with a local IP address.
The best VPN in 2023 is ExpressVPN with 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries, on top of blazing-fast speeds. You can try ExpressVPN with Disney+ risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, it’s quick and hassle-free to get a full refund (no questions asked).
Quick Guide: How to Pay for Disney+ From Abroad in 2023
- To subscribe to Disney+ through the Google Play Store using an Android device, check out the instructions here.
- For iOS devices, you can sign up and pay for Disney+ via iTunes — find out how by jumping to this guide.
- If you’d like to purchase a virtual gift card to subscribe to Disney+, you can do so by following these step-by-step instructions.
- You also have the option to sign up for Disney+ using PayPal — just follow this guide.
How to Pay for Disney+ on the Google Play Store
You can employ this approach if you possess an Android mobile device or tablet, a smart TV, or an Amazon Fire TV or Firestick. It’s important to ensure your phone remains nearby, as Google occasionally employs phone verification to confirm that you and your account are located in the same country.
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server. ExpressVPN has hundreds of fast and reliable US servers, plus military-grade encryption to mask your true IP address.
- Buy a Google Play US gift card on Amazon.com. Send the gift card to your own email address so you can access it easily.
- Create a new Google Play account.
- Go to your device’s “settings,” click on “Google,” and then click “Add another account.”
- Add a new email address — this should be different from your primary Google Play email address.
- Make sure you set your new account’s location to the US.
- Open the Google Play store and log in with your new account.
- Redeem the gift card with your new account. The Google Play Store will recognize your US-only gift card and ask for a local phone number and ZIP code. Any US ZIP code and phone number should work.
- Download the Disney+ app to your device from the Google Play Store and create your account. Disney+ will accept your gift card balance as a US payment method.
- Start watching your favorite Disney+ shows and films!
How to Pay for Disney+ on Apple iTunes
Important: If you’ve signed up for a VPN with a money-back guarantee, make sure you subscribe through its official website (not the Google Play or App Stores). Otherwise, you’ll be subject to the respective store’s Terms and Conditions.
To pay for Disney+ on iTunes, you’ll need a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.
- Download a VPN and connect to a US server. A service like ExpressVPN has obfuscated servers that disguise your VPN traffic, making it easy to connect to different countries anonymously.
- Visit the Apple site and create a new Apple ID. Log out of your existing account first and then select the US as your “Country/Region.” Leave the “Payment Information” section blank (you can use your real phone number, as this won’t conflict with changing your region).
- Buy an App Store gift card on Amazon.com. Send the gift card to your email address — it should arrive within 30 minutes but can sometimes take up to 24 hours.
- Log in to the App Store with your new US Apple ID. Agree to the Terms & Conditions, and click “Continue.”
- Select a payment option and US address. Choose “None” for your payment option, and fill in your US address and phone number in the Billing Address section.
- Your new Apple ID is now ready to use. Click “Continue.”
- Go to your Account and click “Redeem Gift Card.” Enter your App Store gift card code from your email and see that your account is credited.
- If you’re not already using it, switch to the device on which you want to watch Disney+. You’ll need to launch your VPN app and connect to a US server.
- Log in to the App Store with your new Apple ID. Then, download and launch the Disney+ app.
- Open the Disney+ app and create your account. The app will walk you through each step, from entering your email to choosing your subscription plan.
- Apple will automatically pay for your Disney+ subscription using your gift card credit. Your Disney+ account is now ready to use!
How to Get a Virtual US Gift Card for Disney+
If you don’t want to sign up through either the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, you can add funds to a virtual US card and pay for your Disney+ subscription.
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server.
- Visit a website like GiftCards.com to create a virtual US gift card. These virtual cards are valid for US use and are only for online purchases.
- Add funds to your virtual gift card and send it to your email address. You can add funds using your debit or credit card.
- Once received, activate your virtual US gift card. Some retailers pre-activate Visa gift cards, but you may have to activate your card before paying for Disney+.
- Visit the Disney+ website and create an account. If you have an existing account, you can log in and head to your account details and payment information.
- Enter your virtual US card details as your payment method. You should have all the necessary information, including the card number, expiry date, and security code.
- Pay for your Disney+ subscription and start streaming! Once you’ve entered the details, your account will be set up and you can begin watching Disney+ content.
How to Sign Up for Disney+ With PayPal and Revolut
Disney+ accepts PayPal as a payment method, but only if your PayPal location matches your Disney+ country. If you’re setting up a new PayPal account outside of the US, you’ll need to use a VPN to ensure your account is US-based and you can pay for Disney+ without issue.
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server.
- Visit the PayPal website and create a new account. You’ll need to enter your US address details. For example, you can enter the first line of your current address, then choose a US state and zip code (like Arizona 85055).
- Create a Revolut account. You can link this account to your current bank account and Revolut will provide you with a virtual card.
- Link your Revolut virtual card to your PayPal account. You’ll find this on your account dashboard, under “Link a card or bank.”
- Stay connected to the VPN, visit Disney+, and create an account. You can also log in to an existing account to change the payment method.
- Choose the “PayPal” payment method and select your subscription option. There are 2 choices — monthly or annually.
- Complete your purchase. Disney+ will take the subscription funds from your PayPal account, which is linked to your Revolut virtual card — the payment will be taken from your bank account.
- Start streaming Disney+ content! Once the payment is processed, you can start watching your favorite shows and movies.
The Best VPNs for Disney+ in 2023
- 3,000+ servers in 94+ countries
- Use on 8 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 customer support over live chat and email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN has super-fast global servers for streaming Disney+. I only experienced a small drop of 18% from my standard internet speeds — this is impressive considering some servers were 15,000km away. In all cases, my download speeds were fast enough for Ultra HD streaming with no lag, buffering, or interruptions.
As a big streaming fan, I was even more excited to find that ExpressVPN works with Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu, SlingTV, YouTube TV, DAZN, BBC iPlayer, and more.
It takes less than 5 minutes to download the VPN app onto Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices. You can also set up MediaStreamer to reroute your internet traffic through private DNS servers in the US. MediaStreamer connections aren’t encrypted, but it’s useful if you want to stream Disney+ on a device that doesn’t support VPNs (like game consoles). Alternatively, the router app allows you to connect every device in your household to ExpressVPN.
You can try ExpressVPN with Disney+ risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. if you’re not fully satisfied you can get a refund with no questions asked. I tested the process myself and arranging a refund was easy. I contacted the 24/7 live chat and an agent handled my request in less than 5 minutes. I had my money back in just 5 days.
ExpressVPN works on: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, PlayStation, Xbox, smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, routers, and more.
ExpressVPN also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, SlingTV, SHOWTIME, DAZN, ESPN, ITV, and more.
2023 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 7+ servers in 91+ countries, plus dedicated Disney+ servers in India, Italy, and the US
- Works on 7 devices at the same time
- Customer service with 24/7 live chat, email, and online knowledge base
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost has a range of optimized servers specifically for streaming Disney+ in the US, Italy, and India. These servers are regularly tested by CyberGhost to ensure you get smooth connections every time.
If you want to access Disney+ in another country, you can connect to one of CyberGhost’s standard servers. However, not all standard servers worked with Disney+ — for example, the Las Vegas and New York servers worked, but nowhere else in the US. You may need to connect several times to find a server that works or reach out to customer service if issues persist.
CyberGhost has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee, which is ideal if you only need a VPN for a short time. You can even try CyberGhost with Disney+ and get a full refund once you’re finished. The money-back process is very simple, taking a live chat agent just a couple of minutes to arrange my request. I had the money back in my account in less than a week.
CyberGhost works on: Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, routers, and more.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, HBO Max, SlingTV, SHOWTIME, DAZN, ESPN, ITV, and more.
2023 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.19 per month + get extra 2 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 35,000+ servers in 84+ countries
- Stream on unlimited devices at once
- Customer support available on live chat and email
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) has an enormous network of over 35,000 servers in 84+ countries. During testing, PIA had no issues connecting to Disney+ with servers in Australia, Canada, France, India, Netherlands, Thailand, the UK, and US.
Nevertheless, I noticed an average slowdown of about 44% in my speeds. This reduction was particularly noticeable when I was linked to servers located far away. I suggest transitioning from the OpenVPN protocol to WireGuard, as it can help alleviate the loss of speed. However, please be aware that if your internet connection is already slow, you might still encounter a noteworthy decrease in performance.
You can use PIA on unlimited devices on just a single account. You can even try Private Internet Access with Disney+ at no risk to you with the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you change your mind later, it’s easy to get a full refund.
PIA works on: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, smart TVs, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon Fire TV, routers, and more.
PIA also unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, SlingTV, SHOWTIME, ESPN, ITV, and more.
2023 Update! You can subscribe to PIA for as low as $2.19 per month + get extra 2 months free with the 2-year plan (save up to 82%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here!
- Short and long-term subscriptions available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5,700+ global servers in 60 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Protect up to 6 devices at once
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs on the market — and you can get super cheap prices when you sign up for a long-term subscription. One thing to note, however, is that when it’s time to renew your subscription, prices do increase quite significantly.
I was particularly impressed with the high performance of every server I tested. Just because a VPN has thousands of servers doesn’t mean they all work. Servers can still struggle to unblock local sites — and some can even fail to connect completely. However, I easily unblocked Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max on multiple servers in the US and UK.
I did, however, have issues with using NordVPN’s native Fire TV app. Although it worked and unblocked some streaming services, it sometimes had issues unblocking Netflix US and kept crashing. I also found that NordVPN’s user interface for desktop devices was less user-friendly than ExpressVPN and CyberGhost.
NordVPN has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption
- kill switch that cuts your internet access if your connection to a VPN server drops suddenly
- built-in ad and malware blocker, so you don’t need a third-party ad blocker
- fully audited no-logs policy (audited by PwC) – NordVPN doesn’t store any personal or identifying data while you’re connected to the VPN
In addition, NordVPN includes Threat Protection that protects you from viruses, infected websites, and trackers – and it works whenever you have the NordVPN app open, even if you’re not connected to a VPN server.
With plans that cost as little as $3.19 per month, it's easy to find a NordVPN subscription plan that suits your needs. You can also stream, torrent, and browse for free for up to 30 days with its money-back guarantee. I tested this to ensure that you’ll really get your money back. At first, the support team tried to give me an extended trial period — but they initiated my refund right away after I told them I wasn’t interested in the extension. I got my money back in 6 business days.
NordVPN unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, SkyTV, HBO Max, SHOWTIME, DAZN, ESPN, YouTube TV, and more
NordVPN works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Fire Stick, and Android TV
- Short and long-term plans available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 3,200+ global servers in 100 countries
- No bandwidth restrictions
- Connect unlimited devices at once
Surfshark offers the best value for money out of every premium VPN on the market. You can connect an unlimited number of devices with a single subscription, which means you can use Surfshark on all your devices without getting logged out.
I tested Surfshark’s simultaneous connections on 2 PCs, 2 phones, a Fire Stick 4K, and an iPad. My connection remained reliable on all 6 devices. Even while I was actively streaming on all my devices, my average speed was 112 Mbps — fast enough for UHD quality.
When I saw the price of this service, I thought it couldn’t possibly have top-grade security features for such a low price, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Surfshark has the following security and privacy features:
- AES 256-bit encryption on all devices, with ChaCha encryption available for Android users
- Wireguard VPN protocol enabled by default
- diskless, RAM-only servers to protect your privacy (no data can be physically extracted from any servers)
- kill switch (although this isn’t enabled by default)
- IP and DNS leak protection
Surfshark offers two-factor authentication (2FA) on your account. This feature requires you to enter an extra code before you can log in to ensure that only you can access your account.
While Surfshark does have slightly fewer global servers than rivals such as CyberGhost and PIA, I didn’t experience any issues during my tests. I easily connected fast working servers every time, and I had excellent speeds for streaming Netflix in UHD, downloading torrents, and browsing the internet.
You can try Surfshark for yourself with the 30-day money-back guarantee. It has plans that cost as little as $2.30. Requesting a refund is easy with Surfshark’s live chat feature. Although the support team asked why I wanted to cancel my subscription, I had no problem getting my money back (and it only took 4 days!).
Surfshark unblocks: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, Hotstar, HBO Max, DAZN, and more
Surfshark works on: Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux, Fire Stick, Samsung Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs, Android TV, Kodi, and selected routers
Comparison Table: 2023’s Best VPNs for Disney+ Ranked
|Unblocks Disney+||Speeds||Servers||Device Limit||Money-Back Guarantee|
|ExpressVPN||✔||Excellent||3,000+ in 94+ countries||8||30 days|
|CyberGhost||✔||Fast||9,600+ in 91+ countries||7||45 days|
|Private Internet Access||✔||Fast||35,000+ in 84+ countries||unlimited||30 days|
|NordVPN||✔||Fast||5,700+ in 60+ countries||6||30 days|
|Surfshark||✔||Fast||3,200+ in 100+ countries||unlimited||30 days|
FAQs: VPNs and Disney+
Why can’t I pay for Disney+?
More than likely, you can’t pay for Disney+ because your physical device location and your payment method location don’t match. You’ve likely encountered this error message:
Unable to subscribe:
Your payment method does not match the country from where you are signing up. Please change your payment method to match that country.
If you’re traveling abroad temporarily, a VPN can help mask your device’s IP address. ExpressVPN uses high-level encryption to hide your IP address and replaces it with an IP address from its global server network. This way, you can make your device appear to be in your home country (where you have a matching payment method).
Can I get Disney+ without a credit card?
Can I watch Disney+ on more than 1 device?
Yes! When you sign up for a Disney + account, you’ll be able to stream on up to 4 devices at the same time. If you need to access Disney+ with a VPN, you’ll need a service that supports at least 4 simultaneous device connections (like ExpressVPN or CyberGhost).
Luckily, all the VPNs on my list allow for more device connections than Disney+’s maximum limit. For optimizing the number of devices you can connect, I suggest IPVanish since it supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. However, it’s essential to connect using a US server with IPVanish, as its access to Disney+ is somewhat restricted.
Can I use a free VPN for Disney+?
It depends. My team and I’ve tested the best free VPNs in 2023 that will keep your Disney+ login credentials and billing information secure — but none of them are very good for streaming. You’ll face limited data, bandwidth or server connections, which is frustrating when you just want to finish an episode in HD (it’s unlikely that you’ll have enough data for a full movie).
Should you discover a free VPN that does not impose any restrictions, exercise caution. Numerous unscrupulous free VPN services compensate for their lack of fees by monitoring your online activities and storing your information, which they subsequently sell to third parties including hackers and advertisers.
Alternatively, I recommend a premium VPN like CyberGhost as it comes with a long 45-day money-back guarantee. You can treat it like a free trial — simply use CyberGhost for free to sign up for Disney+ and then get a full refund once you’re done.
Don’t Miss Out on Your Favorite Disney+ Shows
While traveling internationally, you may encounter difficulties when attempting to subscribe to Disney+ if your payment method doesn’t align with your current location. However, there is a solution. By utilizing a reliable VPN service, you can conceal your IP address and conveniently subscribe to the streaming platform regardless of your location.
I tested over 50 VPNs and I found ExpressVPN is the best choice for Disney+ in 2023. Its global server network has fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth, making it ideal for binge watching shows on Disney+. You can even try ExpressVPN with Disney+ for yourself. If you’re not satisfied, it’s hassle-free to get a full refund within 30 days.