How to Safely Torrent with NordVPN in January 2020Last Updated by Kate Hawkins on January 01, 2020
“You’re Not Safe without a VPN. It’s a Fact.” — The Pirate Bay
“WARNING! Download only with a VPN.” — YTS.LT
Downloading torrents can be a dangerous business. These warning messages from the best torrenting sites are not there to scare you, but to protect you from trolls, hackers, and other cyber threats.
Why put yourself at risk when a VPN can protect you? By encrypting your traffic, no-one can see what you download online. They also mask your IP address so that you can’t be traced or targeted for cyber attacks. As a bonus, a VPN can even help you access government-blocked torrenting sites.
I’ve reviewed the best torrent sites and they all recommend using a VPN when torrenting. One of the best VPNs I’ve tested for torrenting is NordVPN, and it’s super easy to set up for safe torrenting. I”ll show you how in 5 easy steps.
5 Easy Steps to Set up uTorrent with NordVPN
- Open uTorrent, click “Options,” and then “Preferences.”
- A new window will open — click “Connection” and on the Proxy Server Type dropdown menu, choose “Socks5”.
- In the “Proxy” box, enter one of NordVPN’s server addresses which allows torrent traffic.
- In “Port,” type “1080” and ensure the following boxes are checked:
- Use proxy for hostname lookups
- Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections
- Disable all local DNS lookups
- Disable features that leak identifying information
- Disable connections unsupported by the proxy.
- Enter your NordVPN username and password in the authentication fields and click “OK.”
Now you’re ready to start torrenting with the security of NordVPN!
NordVPN Keeps You Safe While Torrenting — Here’s How
NordVPN creates a private VPN tunnel that connects you to the internet. Your internet traffic travels through this tunnel, protecting it from being seen or logged by your ISP or other external entities. By funneling everything through this private connection, your personal information is always protected. You can read more about the benefits of a VPN in this beginner’s guide.
Furthermore, NordVPN keeps your identity safe using AES-256-bit encryption. The encrypted information sent via the VPN tunnel cannot be deciphered by your ISP or hackers, even if they manage to intercept it.
NordVPN also protects your personal information by hiding your IP address. File-sharing means your IP address can be seen by third parties, making you vulnerable to attack by malicious trolls and spies. By changing your IP address, NordVPN hides your geographical location and allows you to download files securely. Your ISP is also unable to track your internet activity as it is all sent through a remote NordVPN server — keeping your activity anonymous and hidden from prying eyes.
With hundreds of dedicated P2P servers available, NordVPN is dedicated to protecting your file-sharing. I tested NordVPN and found that it completely hid my IP address and didn’t throttle my bandwidth — perfect for safe torrenting.
What Makes NordVPN a Safe Choice?
- DNS leak protection: NordVPN protects your data and internet activity in case DNS inquiries are sent outside of the VPN tunnel. When connected, only DNS servers operated by NordVPN are used, keeping your confidential information secure.
- Automatic kill switch: In the event of a drop in VPN server connection, NordVPN automatically blocks access to the internet. This prevents any of your data or your IP address location from being compromised. Access to the internet returns once the server connection is restored or the kill switch is disabled.
- Zero-logs policy: NordVPN keeps no records of your online activity, ever. It has no legal obligation to collect any data, so government jurisdictions can’t demand access to your information.
- Outside Five Eyes Alliance: Based in Panama, NordVPN is not part of the Five Eyes Alliance. Panama has no mandatory data retention laws and will not give in to the demands of other government bodies.
A Free VPN Will Cost You in the Long Run
You may be tempted to get yourself a free VPN for torrenting. There are tons out there, and many promise the same security and speed as the premium versions. While some free VPNs have excellent security, they’re lacking when it comes to other features. I’ve reviewed the best free VPNs, but I wouldn’t recommend them for torrenting. Here’s why:
- Bandwidth limitations: Many of the most secure free VPNs will limit your monthly data usage. This is okay for casual browsing but could mean incomplete downloads for you when torrenting. Premium VPNs, like NordVPN, give you unlimited data so you never have to face download delays.
- Slower speeds: Free VPNs are also likely to limit your download speeds. Even if you have enough data to complete a torrent, it could take much longer to complete the download.
- Advertisements everywhere: In order to keep a free VPN free, companies often resort to advertising to cover overheads and generate revenue. This is both irritating and risky — advertisements often have trackers, which log your internet activity to better target you. This could compromise your security while torrenting.
Free VPNs might seem like a good idea, but they’re never really free — you’ll always have to compromise. Using NordVPN’s premium service guarantees your data security while torrenting, which is well worth the low monthly fee.