How to Safely Torrent with NordVPN in September 2022
NordVPN used to be my top choice for torrenting, but it takes too much time to configure. Not all of NordVPN’s servers are suitable for torrenting, plus its kill switch isn’t automatically active. While it’s still a good torrenting VPN, these necessary adjustments are a hassle and time-consuming to deal with.
Fortunately, there are other VPNs ideal for torrenting. Of the VPNs I tested, ExpressVPN is the best option for secure torrenting. All 5400+ servers are P2P-optimized with no configuration needed, plus it’s the fastest VPN on the market.
I suggest you try ExpressVPN with your torrent client risk-free. ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a full refund if you’re not satisfied. I tested the refund process and had my money back in just 5 days.
Important! My team and I do not condone any illegal activity, so make sure you only torrent files that are in the public domain. As an added precaution, always be aware of your local laws and regulations before using a VPN to torrent.
Easy Guide: How to Use NordVPN for Torrenting
Top Tip: If you don’t want the hassle of configuring a VPN with your torrent client, you should try ExpressVPN instead. ExpressVPN requires zero configuration to start torrenting securely — just connect to a server and start downloading straight away.
To get the best torrenting experience with NordVPN, you’ll have to configure your torrent client with your VPN. Here are a couple of quick guides to set up NordVPN with the most popular torrent clients.
How to Torrent With NordVPN and uTorrent
- Open uTorrent, click “Options” and then “Preferences.”
- Click “Connection” and from the Proxy Server Type menu, choose “SOCKS5.”
- In the “Proxy” box, enter one of NordVPN’s proxy server addresses.
- In “Port” type “1080” and make sure the following boxes are checked:
- Use proxy for hostname lookups
- Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections
- Disable all local DNS lookups
- Disable features that leak identifying information
- Disable connections unsupported by the proxy
- Enter your NordVPN username and password in the authentication fields and click “OK.”
How to Setup qBittorrent with NordVPN
- Open qBittorrent, click “Tools” then “Options.”
- Select “Connection.”
- In the “Proxy Server” section, set the following:
- Type: SOCKS5
- Host: (enter your chosen NordVPN server address)
- Port: 1080
- Tick the boxes next to “Use proxy for peer-to-peer connections” and “Authentication”
- Username: NordVPN username
- Password: NordVPN password
- Click “OK.”
NordVPN and BitTorrent Not Working? Here’s What to Do
If you’re having issues downloading torrents safely with NordVPN, here are a few ways you can fix the problem:
Try a New Torrent or Magnet Link
Sometimes, the issue isn’t with the VPN or your torrent client, but with the torrent itself. A broken or low-quality link or a small number of “seeders” can stop your torrent from downloading.
To maximize your chances of successfully completing a torrent download, find a different magnet link with positive reviews and plenty of seeding users.
Add a Firewall Exception
You may find your firewall is automatically configured to block torrent clients from accessing the internet — this is due to the potentially dangerous nature of downloading unknown torrents.
To fix this, you’ll need to add your torrent client to your firewall’s “Allow” list. You’ll find this in your firewall and network settings, giving you the option to allow an app to communicate through the firewall.
Get a VPN That Works With BitTorrent
If you’ve tried other options and are still having issues, it’s worth trying a different VPN service that consistently works with BitTorrent. During my tests, I found ExpressVPN quickly downloads torrents on any server connection. It’s also easy to set up with BitTorrent, taking just a couple of minutes to start P2P file-sharing:
- Download ExpressVPN to your device.
- Connect to any of ExpressVPN’s 3000+ servers — every connection is optimized for fast torrents.
- Download BitTorrent from an official source and start torrenting. Make sure you keep ExpressVPN active while you download torrents to protect your personal data.
Slow NordVPN Torrenting Speeds? Try These Steps
I tried the following steps to improve my torrenting speeds, and they could give your torrent downloads a boost too.
Choose a Different Server
At peak traffic times, some NordVPN P2P servers quickly fill up with other users, leading to congestion and slower speeds. Try choosing a P2P server with a lower number of users — check the % figure listed next to each server to see how full each connection is and pick one with a lower number.
You can also connect to a server closer to your physical location, as distance can be a factor in slow download speeds. If you find your nearest NordVPN P2P servers are too far to provide fast downloads, I suggest trying ExpressVPN instead. All of ExpressVPN’s servers are optimized for torrenting and with 3000+ servers in its network, you’ll easily find a local connection.
Check that you’re using NordVPN’s NordLynx protocol for the best speeds. This is NordVPN’s proprietary protocol based on WireGuard, designed to keep speeds fast without compromising your data security.
Check Your Internet Connection Speed
By running a quick speed test, you can see your average Mbps (megabits per second) download speed. If your connection speed is slow — less than 10Mbps — you can try using an ethernet cable to connect directly to your router. This generally provides a faster and more reliable internet connection than WiFi.
Disconnect Inactive Devices
NordVPN allows up to 6 device connections at the same time — if you have all 6 connections active, you could experience a slowdown. To improve speeds, disconnect from NordVPN’s servers on devices you’re not currently using and only connect with your torrenting device.
Switch to a Faster VPN
NordVPN is reliably fast, but it’s not the fastest VPN on the market. In my tests, NordVPN slowed my connection by an average of 44%, whereas ExpressVPN had an average drop of just 18%. ExpressVPN’s fast speeds make torrenting quick — it took just 7 minutes for me to download a 5GB file — making it the top choice for torrenting in 2022. You can try ExpressVPN with your favorite torrenting client risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The Best VPNs for Safe Torrenting — Tested in September 2022
- 3000+ servers in 94+ locations — all servers optimized for torrenting
- Lightway protocol provides fast downloads without compromising security
- AES-256-bit encryption, kill switch, leak protection, and audited zero-logs policy
- 24/7 customer service through live chat, email, FAQs, and online knowledge base
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN’s entire network of 3000+ servers is optimized for torrenting, with super-fast speeds making it ideal for downloading files quickly. During tests, I didn’t have to worry about choosing a specific P2P server. ExpressVPN’s Smart Location feature connected me to the best server so I could start torrenting immediately.
Every connection is secured with AES-256-bit encryption and data leak protection, keeping your torrent activity safe and anonymous. ExpressVPN also has a strong zero-logs policy, proven by an independent audit and real-world scenarios — one of ExpressVPN’s Turkish servers was seized during a criminal investigation and no data was recovered.
Unique to ExpressVPN, all servers feature obfuscation that hides your VPN use. Surprisingly, this obfuscation doesn’t slow your connection — I ran multiple speed tests and found ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN on the market. Even when using servers 15,000km away, ExpressVPN was fast enough for smooth, uninterrupted torrenting. I could download a 5GB file in less than 7 minutes, plus stream Netflix in UltraHD quality, game online without lag, and more.
I was pleased to find ExpressVPN is compatible with multiple torrent clients, like uTorrent, Vuze, and BitTorrent. Better still, it requires no configuration to start torrenting on your device, whether you’re using a Windows PC, Mac, Android or iOS smartphone, or tablet.
ExpressVPN is most affordable when you sign up for a long-term subscription, with plans starting at $6.67 for the 1-year option. It’s a little more expensive than other VPNs, but I think ExpressVPN’s fast, secure torrenting makes it worth the extra cost.
If you’d like to try torrenting with ExpressVPN for yourself, you can do so risk-free. It’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can make sure the service is right for you. Should you change your mind, you can easily get a full refund. I tested the process myself and it took less than 2 minutes to arrange my refund using the 24/7 live chat. I had my money back in just 5 days.
ExpressVPN unblocks: The Pirate Bay, RARBG, 1337x, LimeTorrents, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, HBO Max, Showtime, Peacock TV, ESPN, DAZN, and more.
ExpressVPN works on: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Samsung TV, LG Smart TV, Apple TV, Roku, Kodi, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 8200+ servers in 91+ locations — dedicated P2P servers available
- Solid download speeds using WireGuard protocol and optimized servers
- Military-grade encryption, kill switch, leak protection, and zero-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat, FAQs, email, and online knowledge base
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost’s range of optimized servers are a great choice for fast and secure torrenting, plus streaming, gaming, and private connections. CyberGhost staff regularly test these servers to ensure they work flawlessly, so you don’t have to struggle to pick the right option. It’s easy to choose the best server as you can sort the servers by distance — connecting to my nearest server was always the fastest choice.
My testing revealed CyberGhost’s optimized servers are considerably faster than its standard servers. Torrenting speeds were 35% slower than my normal speeds on average, which meant I could download a 5GB file in around 10 minutes. CyberGhost uses the WireGuard protocol, which I’ve found is a secure and fast option.
CyberGhost uses military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and data leak protection on every server. This ensures your torrenting activity remains anonymous. Unfortunately, CyberGhost has yet to undergo an independent audit to confirm its zero-logs policy. However, all of its servers run on RAM, meaning it’s physically impossible for them to store data. I found this reassuring, as it’s unlikely the company can or will log your data.
The main downside to CyberGhost is that it can struggle to maintain fast speeds over long distances. If you don’t have a dedicated torrenting server nearby, you could find your connection speeds drop significantly. This means a longer wait time for your torrents to complete.
You can try CyberGhost with your torrent client risk-free with its 45-day money-back guarantee. You can use it like a free trial — ideal if you only have a few files you want to torrent.
The 45-day money-back guarantee is only for 6-month plans or longer, so I suggest you sign up for the 3-year plan at just $2.19 per month. If you change your mind, you can cancel using the 24/7 live chat. It took a 5-minute chat for me, and I had my money back in under a week.
CyberGhost unblocks: The Pirate Bay, RARBG, 1337x, LimeTorrents, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, HBO Max, Showtime, Peacock TV, ESPN, and more.
CyberGhost works on: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Samsung TV, Apple TV, Roku, Kodi, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 82%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- Huge network of 35000+ servers in 84+ locations
- Supports WireGuard and OpenVPN for security and speed
- AES-256-bit encryption, kill switch, SOCKS5 proxy, and zero-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat and email, FAQs, and setup guides
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) has an enormous server network that supports torrenting, making it easy to P2P file-share from anywhere. With over 35000 servers worldwide, you can always find a nearby connection for top speeds and reliability.
On top of thousands of servers, PIA offers top-tier security and privacy features. Every connection uses AES-256-bit encryption and leak protection, plus a kill switch secures your activity if the VPN is interrupted. I ran multiple leak tests and found PIA kept my torrenting secure and anonymous.
PIA provides a SOCKS5 proxy, which hides your IP address but doesn’t offer the encryption of a VPN. If you have slower internet, using SOCKS5 can boost your speeds to help torrents download faster. However, it won’t hide your torrent activity from other users, your ISP, or anyone watching your connection.
I like PIA’s Automation feature, which I configured to work with my torrent client. PIA’s Automation ensures torrents won’t download unless you’re connected to the VPN, keeping your data secure at all times.
PIA is reliably fast when using local connections. During tests, my speeds dropped around 44% on average from my standard speed. This meant I could download a 5GB file in just over 10 minutes. Unfortunately, PIA struggles to maintain fast speeds over long distances — some of my connections dropped as much as 73%.
Given PIA’s vast network, you’re likely to find a server close to you to avoid a significant speed drop. I think PIA’s low prices also make it worth waiting a few more minutes for torrents —it starts at just $2.19 for a 2-year plan.
You can try torrenting with PIA risk-free to see if it’s right for you, as the service is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting a refund is easy over the 24/7 live chat, and I had my money back in under a week.
PIA unblocks: The Pirate Bay, RARBG, 1337x, LimeTorrents, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, HBO Max, Showtime, Peacock TV, ESPN, DAZN, and more.
PIA works on: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Chromebook, Chrome, Firefox, Kodi, routers, and more.
September 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 81% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
How to Choose a Good VPN for Torrenting in 2022
To get the best VPN for torrenting, I tested each service and ranked them according to the following criteria:
- Supports torrenting — A top-tier torrenting VPN should have dedicated torrenting servers or support P2P file-sharing on all of its server connections.
- High-level encryption — To keep your torrent activity secure, your VPN should use AES-256-bit encryption — the same kind used by banks and military bodies.
- Data leak protection — This protects your data if data inquiries are sent outside of the encrypted VPN tunnel. Your VPN should provide DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC protection.
- Automatic kill switch — If the VPN connection is interrupted, a kill switch blocks internet access. This prevents your data and IP address location from being compromised. A service like CyberGhost has a kill switch enabled by default to prevent accidental data leaks.
- 24/7 customer support — Make sure your VPN offers 24/7 support for any questions or issues you might have when torrenting.
- Money-back guarantee — With a money-back guarantee, you can rest assured that you can get a full refund if you’re not satisfied or change your mind about your subscription.
Of all the VPNs I’ve tested, ExpressVPN is the best VPN in 2022 for torrenting, streaming, gaming, and more.
A Free VPN Will Cost You in the Long Run
Free VPNs simply won’t give you the security, speeds, or data allowance necessary for torrenting. Even the top free VPNs have limitations that make them unsuitable for P2P file-sharing, including:
- Bandwidth restrictions — With a limited monthly data allowance, you’re likely to hit the cap before you can complete your torrents.
- Slow speeds — Even if you have unlimited data, free VPNs often restrict download speeds to encourage you to upgrade.
- Server limits — A small number of free servers means you experience user congestion and connection issues that can make torrenting impossible.
Instead of choosing a restrictive free option, I suggest trying a premium VPN with a money-back guarantee. CyberGhost has a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee you can use to test the service — almost like a free trial. Just be sure to request a refund within 45 days so you can get all of your money back.
If you don’t want to sign up for a long-term plan, you can take a look at some of the best monthly VPN services. This way, you get unrestricted top-tier security for torrenting without being locked into a long subscription.
FAQs: Torrenting and VPNs
Is NordVPN safe for torrenting?
Yes, NordVPN is a safe option for torrenting. It has dedicated P2P file-sharing servers that provide AES-256-bit encryption, kill switch functionality, and data leak protection. NordVPN is also compatible with popular torrent clients, so it’s easy to quickly and securely start downloading torrents.
What are the best NordVPN settings for torrenting?
To get the best torrenting experience with NordVPN, follow these tips:
- Connect to the closest P2P server to your physical location. A nearby server will ensure you get the fastest speeds.
- Change the tunneling protocol to NordLynx. This is the fastest and most secure option.
- Activate the kill switch. NordVPN’s kill switch isn’t automatically turned on and is necessary for safe torrenting.
Getting the best torrenting settings with NordVPN takes a few minutes as you need to change some settings. If you don’t want to configure your VPN before torrenting, I recommend you try ExpressVPN risk-free. Every ExpressVPN server is optimized for torrenting, plus its kill switch and fastest tunneling protocol are already configured.
How do I set up NordVPN with uTorrent or BitTorrent?
You have 2 options for using NordVPN with your torrent client: automatic and manual setup:
- Automatic — Connect to one of NordVPN’s P2P servers, click your torrent link, and instantly start your secure download.
- Manual — Follow the detailed step-by-step guides here, making sure you have an active NordVPN subscription to enter a proxy server address, your username, and password.
Usually, setting up NordVPN with your torrent client is pretty quick and easy. However, sometimes you may find its selection of P2P-optimized servers are full or very far from your location. This could lead to connection issues and slow speeds, meaning you have to wait hours for your torrent to complete. If this is the case, I recommend you try a service like ExpressVPN instead. All of ExpressVPN’s 3000+ servers are optimized for torrenting so you can get fast, secure connections no matter where you are.
Which devices can I torrent on with NordVPN?
You can torrent with NordVPN on any supported device that also supports torrent clients, like uTorrent or BitTorrent. NordVPN has apps available for a range of devices, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. While it takes a few minutes to configure NordVPN with your chosen torrent client, you can start P2P file-sharing quickly and easily.
Does NordVPN have obfuscated servers?
Yes, NordVPN has obfuscated servers. These servers are only available when using the OpenVPN protocol and following these steps:
- Go to “Settings” and “Auto Connect.”
- Select “Advanced” and then toggle on “Obfuscated servers.”
After this, you can go back to NordVPN’s main app interface and Quick Connect to the nearest obfuscated server. However, these servers are not ideal for torrenting — the extra layers of security can cause slow speeds and aren’t necessary for safe P2P file-sharing.
If you want to use obfuscated servers when torrenting, I recommend ExpressVPN. All of ExpressVPN’s servers have obfuscation to mask your VPN activity, and they won’t slow your connection speeds.
NordVPN is Safe For Torrenting (but Not the Best Option)
While NordVPN is no longer the #1 choice for torrenting, it’s still a solid VPN service for P2P file-sharing, streaming, online gaming, and safe browsing. It has some top-tier security features, including:
- AES-256-bit military-grade encryption and data leak protection on all 5,000+ servers
- CyberSec ad-block and malware protection
- Proprietary NordLynx protocol for fast speeds and security
- Split-tunneling, Tor-friendly servers, and Dark Web monitoring
- 24/7 customer support and a money-back guarantee policy
If you’re looking for a service that has high-level security and privacy plus needs zero torrenting configuration, I recommend ExpressVPN. It’s the fastest VPN on the market, and every server is obfuscated and optimized for smooth, secure torrenting.
While CyberGhost and PIA are also very good, affordable alternatives, I suggest you try ExpressVPN with your torrent downloads to see if it’s the best choice for you. Better still, you can test the service risk-free as ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you change your mind about subscribing, you can get a full refund with no questions asked.