How to Watch Netflix on an Amazon Fire Stick with a VPNLast Updated by Kate Hawkins on May 14, 2020
Warning! Netflix is actively blocking VPN servers trying to bypass its geographic restrictions. You need a reliable VPN to access Netflix outside of your location on your Amazon Fire Stick.
Netflix is available in over 190 countries, and each has hundreds of movies and shows for you to enjoy on multiple devices. However, Fire Stick is only supported in the US, Canada, the UK, Germany, Austria, Japan, India, France, Italy, and Spain.
Due to broadcasting rights and geographic restrictions — depending on where you are, you’ll be blocked from streaming Netflix on your Amazon Fire Stick.
You’ll see this annoying error message:
Even worse, although a VPN will hide your true location — Netflix is actively tracking and blocking VPN servers.
To save you time and energy, I’ve tested over 15 VPNs with Netflix. Each of my top 3 VPN recommendations will help you avoid the error message and enjoy Netflix on your Amazon Fire Stick from anywhere.
Quick Guide: 4 Simple Steps to Watch Netflix on Amazon Fire Stick
- Download and install a VPN on your Amazon Fire Stick. I recommend NordVPN as it has thousands of fast servers that can access Netflix.
- Download the Netflix app to your Fire Stick.
- Sign in to the VPN and connect to a server in the Netflix region you want — the US has the biggest Netflix content library.
- Open the Netflix app on your Smart TV and start streaming!
With an Amazon Fire Stick Native VPN App
All of my recommended VPNs have a native app for Fire Stick (an app that you can install directly to your device).
Tip: Most native VPN apps only support 2nd or 3rd generation Fire Sticks. If you have an older model, you won’t be able to connect to a VPN using an app — you’ll have to install it on your router instead.
1. On the Fire Stick home screen, use the search tab to find the VPN app you want to install. I used NordVPN and found it easy to download and set up on the Fire Stick.
6. Once you’ve connected, you can open the Netflix app on your Fire Stick and start streaming Netflix content!
When you use a VPN app, you can trust that it will maintain a secure connection without compromising your privacy. After you click “OK,” you’ll be able to connect to a foreign server and start streaming Netflix.
Without an Amazon Fire Stick Native VPN App
If your VPN doesn’t have a native app, you can sideload the VPN onto your Fire Stick using an Android device or install it on your router.
Option #1 — Download the VPN app using an APK (.apk) with an Android device
An APK is an app that is created for Android. If the VPN you want to use doesn’t have a native Fire Stick app, you can download an APK file from the VPN’s website. Here’s how:
2. Download and install the Downloader app.
3. Launch the app and enter the web address of the VPN you want to use (like www.nordvpn.com) into the “Browser” option.
5. Download the APK (.apk) and approve all permissions. The app will be installed on your Fire Stick.
6. Launch the VPN, sign in, and connect to a server.
7. Open the Netflix app and start streaming!
Option #2 — “Sideload” the VPN app using another Android device
To download the VPN app this way, you’ll have to use a second Android device (like an Android smartphone or Fire Tablet).
- Go to the Fire Stick “Settings.”
- Select the “Network” option and make a note of your TV’s IP address.
- Download and install “Apps2Fire” from the Google Play Store onto your Android device.
- On the same device, download and install a VPN.
- Launch “Apps2Fire” and tap on the menu icon, then “Setup.”
- Enter the IP address of your TV and tap “Save.”
- Tap the menu icon again and select “Upload Apps.”
- Tap the VPN app.
- The app should automatically install on your Fire TV.
Here’s how you can locate the app on your Fire Stick to launch your VPN:
4. Connect to a server and you’re ready to start streaming Netflix!
Netflix US — Get Access to the Best Content Library in the World
If you’re looking for the latest and most popular shows and movies, Netflix US has the most content to choose from. It offers over 4,000 movies and more than 1,700 TV shows — three times as many TV shows as the UK library!
By using a premium VPN, you can connect to Netflix US and gain access to Netflix originals before they’re available anywhere else.
How to Choose the Best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick
When you’re choosing the best VPN to use with your Amazon Fire Stick, there are a few things you should consider:
- Can the VPN bypass Netflix’s blocks and avoid the proxy error message? Can it also bypass blocks for other services like Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and more?
- Does the VPN have a native Fire Stick app? If not, does it support Android devices?
- Does the VPN have lots of server options? Are there enough servers for consistently high streaming speeds? Will your connection slow down if there’s a lot of internet traffic?
- Does the VPN have strong security to keep your IP address hidden? Is there a risk of an IP address leak? Does it have additional security features to protect your personal data?
- Is the customer support knowledgeable and responsive? If there are setup issues, are they able to resolve them? Are there setup guides on the website?
After testing a range of VPNs using the criteria above, here’s a list of the 3 best VPNs for watching Netflix on your Amazon Fire stick.
Quick Guide: Top 3 VPNs for Watching Netflix on Amazon Fire Stick
- NordVPN — #1 for streaming Netflix as it has thousands of servers in Netflix countries that can bypass the proxy error.
- ExpressVPN — Super-fast streaming servers, but more expensive than other services.
- CyberGhost — Optimized servers for streaming Netflix in the US, UK, and France, but servers often become full at peak times.
3 Best VPNs for Amazon Fire Stick
1. NordVPN — Thousands of Reliable Servers for Streaming Netflix on Amazon Fire Stick
- 5,400+ servers in 59 countries — 1,600+ in the US, 600+ in the UK, and 400+ in Canada
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming as much Netflix as you want
- AES 256-bit encryption
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is my number one choice for watching Netflix on the Fire Stick because it has thousands of reliable servers. Its SmartPlay feature ensures that its servers can access blocked content by using DNS technology to mask your IP address. I tested this for myself and found that I could consistently connect to Netflix.
Once I accessed Netflix in main locations like the US, UK, and Canada, I tested server speeds and streaming quality. Although I’m testing from the US, servers in the UK gave me the fastest average speeds. My fastest server was UK #1575 at 60Mbps. The Canada (54Mbps) and US (51Mbps) servers were slightly slower, but still fast enough for streaming in Ultra HD.
Downloading and installation is easy on NordVPN’s native Fire Stick app. The app has an intuitive interface with all settings and connections clearly labeled. Choosing a server is simple — I could connect to the region of my choice with one click and “Favorite” fast servers for future use.
The customer support team is very knowledgeable. When I spoke to a representative on the 24/7 live chat about setting up the app on my Fire Stick, they were able to link me to relevant information. NordVPN’s website has comprehensive setup and troubleshooting guides for the Fire Stick if you need help.
NordVPN gives new subscribers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can try its services for a month risk-free and get a full refund through the customer live chat.
NordVPN can unblock: Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, Hulu, Disney+, SlingTV, and more
2. ExpressVPN — Super-Fast Netflix Streaming from Anywhere
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries — 26 server locations in the US, 5 in the UK, and 5 in Canada
- No bandwidth throttling for high speed streaming
- Best-in-class encryption
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for streaming Netflix in UltraHD. During my tests, I could bypass Netflix’s strong restrictions and stream in high quality almost instantly. I experienced minimal buffering, with less than 5 seconds between choosing my content and streaming it.
I tested multiple servers in the US, UK, and Canada — my connection to the UK was the fastest (even though I’m in the US). With each region, I experienced some slowdown at peak connection times, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.
My average UK server connection speed was 74Mbps on average. My fastest UK server was UK – Docklands at 87Mbps. As for my US connection, my average speed was 65 Mbps, with the fastest server being USA – Washington DC at 71Mbps. Although it took me longer to connect to Canada, once I connected my speeds were fast, with an average of 73Mbps. My fastest server was Canada – Toronto at 76Mbps.
I found it easy to get connected with ExpressVPN’s native Fire Stick app. Installation and setup only took a couple of minutes and the Fire Stick app is very similar to its desktop and mobile versions. It’s easy to navigate and connecting to a server takes a single click on the power button.
ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee is easy to use. I contacted customer support for a refund within the 30 days and they processed it with no questions asked.
ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, YouTube TV, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, HBO GO, and Disney+
3. CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Streaming Netflix in the US, UK, and France
- 5,900+ servers in over 90 countries — 1,000+ in the US, 800+ in the UK, 250+ in Canada
- Dedicated servers for streaming Netflix in the US, UK, and France
- Military-grade encryption
- Customer support available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost has optimized servers specifically for streaming Netflix in the US, UK, and France. I tested each of the 3 optimized servers — I was able to bypass content restrictions and connect to Netflix in less than 15 seconds.
My average download speed for each Netflix server was 45Mbps. This is slow compared to the other VPNs on my list, but still fast enough for streaming Netflix in HD from each location.
The fastest connection was to its Netflix US server at 47Mbps. I’m located in the US, which may be why this server is slightly faster compared to the others. However, I found it hard to connect to the Netflix US server during peak times as it was often full.
Unfortunately, while testing standard servers in the US, UK, Canada, and South American countries — I got the Netflix proxy error several times. I recommend saving servers that work to your favorites list so that you can automatically connect to them later.
That being said, CyberGhost offers a 45-day money-back guarantee for new subscriptions. You have plenty of time to try out the service before purchasing a plan with this VPN.
CyberGhost unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, and HBO GO
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch Netflix on Amazon Fire Stick?
Yes, there are some free VPNs available, but I wouldn’t recommend using one to watch Netflix on your Fire Stick. I tested free VPNs like TunnelBear and Hide.me — I couldn’t bypass Netflix’s geographical restrictions.
Free VPNs have bandwidth limitations that won’t let you stream as much Netflix as you want. Most also have few servers, which means you’ll experience slow speeds, buffering, and lags.
Even worse, many free VPNs have limited privacy policies. They can keep logs and sell your online activity to third parties or expose your device to malware.
If you want a free VPN to use for a short time, you can use a premium VPN’s money-back guarantee. If you cancel your subscription before the guarantee is up, you’ll get all your money back. This way, you don’t compromise on your Netflix streaming or data security.
Get the Most Out of Your Fire Stick
You can use your Fire Stick to stream a lot more than Netflix! Many Fire Stick users have chosen to replace their cable subscriptions with various streaming services.
You can stream with paid services like Amazon Prime, Sling TV, and Hulu Live. But, there are also free apps available on your Fire Stick like Cinema APK, CatMouse, and CyberFlix TV. Remember to use your VPN with free streaming apps to protect you and your devices from malware and other cyber threats.
You can also download Kodi, a powerful open-source tool that works with both local and network services you already have. You can use it to stream and record live TV as well as to store your favorite programming. But, make sure to use Kodi with a VPN to keep your data protected.
Tip: SlingTV and Hulu Live require a payment method linked to a US location. To subscribe from anywhere — purchase a gift card for either service and use it to set up your account.
Securely Stream Netflix on your Amazon Fire Stick
If you want to access the whole Netflix library and use your Fire Stick securely, you need a premium VPN. With a service like NordVPN, you can access restricted content from around the world no matter where you’re located. Some of your options include BBC iPlayer in the UK, Hulu Live and Sling TV in the US, or Hayu in Europe.
Using a VPN isn’t limited to just your Fire Stick! You can install a premium VPN on multiple devices at the same time — NordVPN secures up to 6 devices on one account! By using the money-back guarantees of my recommended VPNs, you can test each feature for yourself before you commit to a plan.