Top 6 UK VPNs for Security, Streaming & Torrenting
The Best of 2022: Examine the UK’s best VPNs for Safety, Streaming, Torrenting, and More
If 2022 has taught us anything, it’s that staying safe on the internet is both difficult and vastly underappreciated. Far too many people believe that keeping out of harm’s way means avoiding sketchy websites.
However, nothing could be further from the truth.
The dangers to your privacy are clear even if your internet habits are somewhat ordinary. It’s no mystery then why people are opting for Virtual Private Network (VPN) subscriptions as a means of avoiding danger on the internet.
There’s a Reason People Use VPNs
Despite how ubiquitous internet connections have become, there is a lot to be wary about. Some of these concerns include:
- Hackers who snoop on wireless and wired connections, stealing private information from unsuspecting users.
- Government snooping. Even if you don’t live in a totalitarian regime, your government could be spying on you. With the government being allowed to look in on anyone’s text messages, emails, calls and other online activities, it’s enough to make you want to stay off the internet forever.
- Risk of Prosecution – Being convicted of peer-to-peer sharing in the UK can carry a sentence of ten years. While a fair bit of peer-to-peer sharing is perfectly legal, the peace of mind from not having to ascertain legality cannot be understated.
Needless to say, having a VPN can keep you safe from some very threatening situations.
Yet, VPN use is more than just for protection.
The Added Benefits of Using a VPN
VPNs come with a number of great benefits such as the ability to bypass geographic restrictions for streaming services such as Netflix, Pandora, Spotify or BBC iPlayer. However, with so many VPN companies available, it’s hard to know which one will work best for you.
How do you even know what to look for? Here are a few tips:
- Based outside of the UK – Try to find a company that has lots of servers located in the United Kingdom without being based there. VPNs help shield you from government spying, but using a company based in the UK will oblige them to submit your private information to the government upon request.
- High Speed Internet, Unlimited Bandwidth – Streaming high definition video eats up a lot of bandwidth. Ensuring you don’t have to worry about artificial limits can help put your mind at ease and help you enjoy your subscription.
- Servers in other countries – If you love to torrent and you wish to connect with users in other countries, it’s important for your VPN company to have servers placed in as many countries as possible.
- Uncompromising Security – Staying safe is the most important perk of being online these days. Your VPN should have a number of security measures implemented such as adequate encryption and protection from malicious attacks.
VPNs have become indispensable tools for safety and accessing the internet the way you want it.
The Best VPNs for the UK
Now that you know how important a VPN is, which one do you choose? Here are the best VPNs for the UK:
The clear choice for countless customers and with an estimated 4,330 servers around the world,
NordVPN has cemented its status as the premier virtual private network. NordVPN is serious about your security, offering military-grade encryption as well as protection from intrusive ads and online threats.
It even offers a Double VPN feature for an extra layer of protection.
NordVPN has a strict “No Logs” policy meaning they won’t keep tabs on your internet activity. The service is available on an exhaustive range of devices and operating systems and can even run on your router.
A single account allows you to use up to 6 devices simultaneously and a subscription comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
ExpressVPN is yet another great VPN offering that aims to solve your privacy and safety issues.
Touting itself as the #1 leader, ExpressVPN offers thousands of servers all over the globe and with a 30-day money-back guarantee, there’s very little risk involved. The service allows you to access blocked content from a number of providers.
To accomplish this, ExpressVPN offers its users blazing-fast service across a number of platforms including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Routers, and Linux. However, ExpressVPN isn’t only about entertainment, the service provides you with the privacy and security you need.
Boasting its 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, kill switch, and split tunneling, ExpressVPN aims to shield users from attacks that compromise their safety.
CyberGhost VPN is aiming to give the internet back to its users. It’s goal? Allowing you access to the internet without “fear of hackers, mass surveillance and online behavior tracking”.
This is a tall order, but with access to 1,300 servers around the world and with a range of security protocols to keep you safe in cyberspace, CyberGhost knows that it’s up to the challenge.
Apart from allowing users to access blocked websites, the company will block malicious content on your behalf while serving up a fully-encrypted internet strengthened with 256-AES bit technology. The service will also help you protect all your devices while you have a maximum of seven connected at one time.
This software is available on a variety of platforms such as available on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
SaferVPN’s many benefits quickly make it a top choice among VPN users worldwide.
With the service’s user-friendly interface and its 700 servers spread out in 34 countries, SaferVPN offers itself as a viable option to those looking for security and the ability to unlock their favorite streaming platforms. Connect up to 5 devices using SaferVPN and experience the company’s stellar security protocols.
The service features military-grade encryption and an Automatic Wi-Fi Security protocol across public Wi-Fi hotspots. The apps work on a variety of platforms including Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
With their offering, Trust.Zone aims to keep both your browsing and online identity private. Although not quite as ubiquitous as other VPN companies, Trust.Zone’s 126 servers in 31 countries are sufficient to mask your online activities from hackers and prying government eyes.
The company will not log your activity and offers both unlimited speed and bandwidth. The software is available on a number of platforms such as Windows, iOS, Android, Mac and Linux. However, if you want a solution for your router, you may have to look elsewhere as there is as yet no router capability.
Touting itself as the fastest-growing VPN in the world, PrivateVPN has a lot to offer users looking to access geo-blocked programming. To make your streaming enjoyable, the service promises max speeds. This means an end to buffering or long waits. While you browse, PrivateVPN’s military-grade 2048-bit encryption protects you from hackers and government intrusion.
Getting started is easy as well. The service works on multiple platforms including Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Linux and of course, your router. And if for any reason you don’t think PrivateVPN works for you, the company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
VPNs provide a way to connect to the internet without having to worry that your activity will be monitored by a government agency or that you will become a target for hackers and other ill-intentioned individuals. With so many great VPN products available, finding a solution that works well for you is guaranteed to be quick and easy.