Download NordVPN (Newest Version) for Windows, macOS, and MoreLast Updated by Adam Wagner on December 01, 2020
With NordVPN’s military-grade security protocols, you can rest assured that your data will be safe. You don’t have to worry about hackers, governments, businesses, or advertisers snooping on your activity and information. It doesn’t matter if you’re surfing the web in your home, or connecting to a public Wi-Fi. As long as your internet traffic travels through NordVPN’s encrypted tunnel, you can stream, download torrents, and surf without worry.
With these simple instructions, NordVPN can be downloaded and installed in about the time it takes to brew a cup of coffee! With the NordVPN free trial, you can even try this VPN out risk-free for 30-days using its money-back guarantee.
Some of NordVPN’s top features include:
- 5,000+ servers in 60 countries
- Located in Panama out of the view of the Five Eyes
- Military-grade AES-256 encryption
- Double VPN
- Watch US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and more global content
- No bandwidth throttling
- DNS leak protection technology
- Hundreds of P2P servers ideal for torrenting
- Automatic kill switch
- Obfuscated servers help you bypass firewalls
- 24/7 support
Before You Download NordVPN
The first thing you’re going to have to do if you want to use NordVPN is to create an account. While it’s possible to take advantage of this awesome service for free for 30-days, you’ll still need an active account to get started.
To create an account simply follow these steps:
- Navigate to NordVPN’s home page.
- In the menu along the top of the page, click the “Pricing” button.
- Select the plan that best suits your needs. Note: Signing up for a longer length of time can save you a lot on the monthly rate.
- Scroll down and input your email address.
- Further down the page, select a payment method (credit card, cryptocurrency, Alipay).
- Input your payment details and click “Continue.”
- Follow the prompts given to complete the payment. Depending on how you paid, you may have to take some additional steps.
- Go to your inbox and find the NordVPN confirmation email.
- Open the email, and follow the given instructions to confirm your account and set up your password.
How to Install NordVPN on Windows in 4 Easy Steps
Compatible with: Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Download NordVPN for Windows.
- Run “NordVPNSetup.exe” and click “Install”.
- Open the NordVPN application and enter the email and password that you used to sign up.
- Connect to a server using the search function, map, or server list. Congratulations — you can now use the internet safely!
Step-by-Step Guide to Manually Set up NordVPN on Windows
NordVPN offers several protocols to let you balance safety and speed depending on your needs. OpenVPN (UDP and TCP) and NordLynx (WireGuard) are automatically available on the Windows app. You can even manually configure IKEv2 to protect yourself with the most secure VPN protocol available. Don’t worry if it sounds complicated — it’s not. Let me guide you through the process step-by-step.
- Sign up for a NordVPN account and save your login details.
- Download NordVPN’s Windows certificate.
- Run the file from the download location — click “Open” in the pop-up that appears.
- Click “Install Certificate”. A new screen will appear.
- Choose “Local Machine” and then click “Next”. A new window will appear.
- Select “Place all certificates in the following store” and then click “Browse”. A pop-up window will appear.
- Choose “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and click “OK”. Follow the on-screen instructions until you’ve clicked “Finish”.
- Click “OK” when the pop up advises you that the import was successful. Press Windows + R on your keyboard then type in certmgr.msc then click “OK”.
- On the left of the screen, click “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and then “Certificates” underneath it. In the results on the right, right click on “NordVPN Root CA” and select “Properties”.
- Select “Enable only the following purposes” and leave only “Server Authentication” enabled. Click “OK” and “Apply”.
- Open the Windows Start Menu and click the “Control Panel”. Open “Network and Internet”.
- In the next window, click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select “Set up a new connection or network”.
- Select “Connect to a workplace” and click “Next”.
- Select “No, create a new connection” and “Next”.
- Choose “Use my Internet connection” (VPN). A new window will appear.
- Find your suggested server and enter the host name into the “Internet address” field. Then enter a name of your choosing (I used the server name) into “Destination name” and click “Create”.
- Return to “Network and Sharing Center”. Choose “Change adapter settings”.
- Right-click the adapter you created. Click “Properties” and open the “Security” tab.
- Change these details:
- Type of VPN: “IKEv2”
- Data encryption: “Require encryption (disconnect if server declines)”
- Authentication: “Use Extensible Authentication Protocol” and then “Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) (encryption enabled)”
- Next, go to the “Networking” tab and uncheck “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”. Click “OK”.
- Left-click the WiFi or Ethernet symbol in the system tray. Choose “Network & Internet settings” in the pop-up.
- Choose “VPN” and click “Advanced options” on the connection you set up earlier.
- Click “Edit”.
- Enter your NordVPN login details. Click “Save”.
- Return to the VPN connections overview and click “Connect”. Congratulations! Now you can enjoy using NordVPN on Windows.
Installing NordVPN on Mac
Compatible with: macOS Yosemite 10.10 or higher.
- After you’ve signed up for a NordVPN account, download the OpenVPN version of NordVPN’s software from the macOS downloads page.
Click the “Download OpenVPN” button
- From your downloads folder, open the NordVPN.pkg installation file.
- A new window will open. Follow the prompts that you’re given until the software installation is complete.
Follow the prompts until the installation is completed
- Once installed, navigate to your Launchpad and find the NordVPN icon and click on it.
- You’ll now be asked for permission to install Helper, which allows NordVPN to create a VPN tunnel. Input your password and click OK.
- Agree to the Terms of Service, and sign in to your new account.
Log in, and choose a server to connect with
- Now you’re free to choose a server to connect with or click “Quick Connect” to automatically connect to one that’s recommended.
Installing NordVPN on Android
Compatible with: Android smartphones, Android tablets, or Android TV.
- After you’ve signed up for a NordVPN account, go to the “Play Store” and search for NordVPN.
- Once you’ve found it, tap the “Install” button.
- After the installation is complete, find the NordVPN icon and open it.
- Sign in to your new account.
- Connect to a server by either clicking “Quick Connect” or choosing one manually.
Installing NordVPN on iPhone or iPad
Compatible with: iPhone and iPad.
- After you’ve signed up for a NordVPN account, open the “App Store” and search for NordVPN.
- After you’ve located the app, click the “Download” button.
- Find the NordVPN icon on your home screen and open it.
- Agree to the Terms of Service, and sign in to your new account.
- Once you’re logged in, you can either choose a server to connect to or tap the “Quick Connect” button and have one chosen for you.
During my detailed NordVPN review I was able to get a first-hand look at how fast NordVPN really is. From regular browsing to streaming Netflix, Hulu, the BBC iPlayer and more there was no lagging, the streams were in HD and I couldn’t detect any slow downs. This is one of the main reasons that I’m confident in recommending that you download NordVPN today.