If you’re having trouble opening an XPS file, you just need to download the free XPS Viewer. XPS is Microsoft’s version of a PDF, it retains the original document’s structure and format, but you need the XPS Viewer to open the file.
You can also digitally sign documents, print, search, and save documents.
How to Download and Install XPS Viewer for Free
- Click on the Download button on the sidebar, and a new tab will open to the XPS Viewer download page.
- Click on the Download button and select the 32-bit or 64-bit option. If you aren’t sure which to download, type “About Your PC” in the Windows search bar and the System Settings will open. Under the device specification section, locate the System Type, and you’ll see whether your operating system is a 64-bit or 32-bit.Choose what fits your computer, and a ZIP file will download to your computer.
- Open the folder and click on the .msi file. This will open the XPS installer.
- Click Next to begin the installation process.
- The License Agreement will open, choose to agree to the terms, and then click Next.
- Select an installation folder, or accept the default location and click Next.
- Confirm the installation and click Next, and XPS Viewer will install. When it’s completed, click Close.
How to Install XPS Viewer on Windows 10 for Free
The XPS Viewer files come with Windows 10 computers, but you still need to access and download the software.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar.
- Click on the Optional Features link.
- Press the Plus icon to add new features.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list, check the box next to XPS Viewer and then press the Install button.
- XPS Viewer is now installed on your computer.
How to Uninstall XPS Viewer
If the XPS viewer isn’t the right software for you, or you still can’t open the files you need, check out some free alternatives below.
Follow these steps to uninstall XPS viewer from your computer.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in your Windows search bar.
- Find XPS Viewer in the list of installed programs and click Uninstall.
- Confirm that you want to delete the program, and Windows will remove it from your computer.
XPS Viewer Overview
Use the XPS Viewer to open, view, and work with files saved in the XPS format.
You can do the following with XPS Viewer:
- Save copies
- Search through the files
- Zoom in or out
- Digitally sign
- Set up permissions
Free Alternatives to XPS Viewer
- Adobe Reader: While Adobe Reader can’t open an XPS file, you can convert the XPS to a PDF and then view it with Adobe Reader. The best free PDF viewer allows you to digitally sign documents, add highlights, apply your personalized stamp, and easily share the PDF.
- Foxit Reader: You can create, encrypt, sign, collaborate, add mark-up highlights, and more with the Foxit PDF Reader. Foxit also has sharing buttons, so you can quickly share the PDF via email or social media.