The Sims 4 is an excellent simulation-style game that allows you to control over just about everything going on in your Sim world. Create characters and manage all aspects of their lives, from what jobs they have, who they date, where they can live — the list of what you can control goes on and on.
The Sims is an Electronic Arts (EA) game and is available through its Origin gaming platform. While they don’t have a completely free version, there is a free trial that you can use to test out the game and see if it lives up to your expectations. Follow the steps below and download The Sims 4 for free today.
How to Download The Sims 4 for Free (Trial Version)
You will need an EA Origin account to play The Sims 4. Follow the instructions for creating your account in the steps below. If you already have an Origin account, you can skip from step 3 to step 10.
- Click on the Download button on the sidebar to go straight to the official website for The Sims 4.
- Click on the “Try it First” button.
- A new window will open. Click on the Add to Library button.
- You will need to either sign in to your origin account or create a new account. If you have an account, skip to step 10.
- Enter your country and birthday, and then click Next.
- Enter a valid email address and create your ID name and password. You can also write your first and last name, but this is optional. Click Next.
- You’ll have to secure your account by choosing a security question and choose who can see your profile. When this is done, click Create Account.
- You will receive a verification code in your email. Enter the 6 digit code and click Verify Account.
- Once your account is verified, go back to The Sims 4 page on your browser and click Download with Origin.
- The Sims 4 is now in your Origin Game Library. Before you can start playing, you will need to download the Origin client. Click on the Play on Origin button, and a download page for the Origin client will open. Click Download Origin, and the file will download to your computer.
- Login to your account using the ID and password you created in step 6.
- Go to the Game Library, and you should see The Sims 4 thumbnail. Click on the picture.
- You’ll have to download the game (the first time it was just added to your Origin library, now it’s actually downloading the game to your computer). This is a large file and, depending on your internet connection, can take some time to complete.
How to Uninstall The Sims 4 (and Origin)
If you decide not to continue playing The Sims 4 after the free trial expires, you can easily uninstall it by following the steps below. Check out the free alternatives to The Sims 4 below for some excellent multiplayer games that are 100% free.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in your Windows search bar.
- Scroll through the list of programs until you find The Sims 4 and click Uninstall.
- Give permission to the uninstallation wizard to completely remove the program.
This will not remove Origin. If you also want to delete the gaming client, follow the same steps, but instead of finding The Sims 4, you can uninstall Origin.
The Sims 4 Overview
When you play The Sims 4, you can build your perfect world. Create characters with your dream job, driving the fastest sports car, living in the biggest house, and take a break from reality for a bit. That’s the beauty of The Sims 4 — it’s your alternate reality; build it however you want to.
Loads of Free Downloadable Content
While the base game is pretty basic, gamers can quickly improve their Sim world with three different types of Downloadable Content (DLC).
- Expansion Packs: This includes clothing and accessories to personalize your charterers, game mechanics for improved play, and entirely new worlds to build and explore.
- Game Packs: There isn’t as much content as the expansion packs, but you find more accessories and content based on the theme of your game.
- Patches: These patches are regular updates that include tons of free content and updates to the game.
You can try and create a world similar to your own or let your imagination go wild and make the world of your dreams. Whatever you decide, you’ll have the content and tools to customize your world.
Excellent features and updates
When The Sims 4 was initially released, it received a lot of criticism from its fans. To its credit, EA went to work on improving the game, and now it has gotten to the point where the game is widely recognized as the best Sims game yet. Here are some of the top features and recent updates.
- Freedom to create and manage characters that use a smarter algorithm than ever before.
- The characters have a range of personality traits and feelings that give the game a realistic feel.
- More flexibility when building and customizing a house.
- Get to know your neighbors and see what is going on in your neighborhood.
- A new collection of pets to take care of in your Sim home.
- A flexible sandbox world that gives you complete control in how you create your world.
- Updated Create a Sim and Build Mode are much easier to use than previous versions.
- Explore active new neighborhoods with plenty of attractions and places for your characters to go and hang out.
- The Sims 4 community is active and helpful. Share your world and get tips and help for improving it from other players.
- There are plenty of missions and events that you can enter to earn prizes.
- There is lots of free DLC content included in each update, so you’ll never get tired of your Sim.
Free Alternatives to The Sims 4
If you prefer to play a free game and not a free trial, I have several recommendations for you.
- Minecraft: A sandbox game that allows you to create all kinds of structures, buildings, cities, and more using 3D block graphics. Minecraft is a completely free game with millions of active players. It has two game modes: Survival and Creative. In survival mode, you’ll have to avoid the night monsters as they come for your characters. The creative mode allows you to design everything from small buildings to entire cities.
- Fortnite: You can dance, build towers, and use creative weapons as you try and survive the Battle Royale. Fortnite is one of the most popular multiplayer online games in the world. You can play with friends in teams of 4 or just join a random game and play against players around the world. The goal is simple: be the last one standing on the island.
- Roblox: An immensely popular gaming platform with millions of unique games, Roblox has captured the creativity of millions of gamers worldwide. You can design your own game using the Roblox Creative Studio or play games that were designed by other creators.
Is The Sims 4 free?
Unfortunately, there is no 100% free version of The Sims 4. However, you can download a free trial of the game that will give you 48 hours to create your characters and start building your world. If you enjoy the game and decide to purchase it, all your progress will be saved. Once you own the game, there is a ton of completely free upgrades and DLC that you can use to improve your characters and world.
Is The Sims 4 safe?
The Sims 4 isn’t a live game, so there is no need to worry about your kids chatting with strangers online. However, with so much new content and exciting gameplay, there is the risk of screen addiction. You can prevent this by using a parental control app and limiting the amount of time your kids can play The Sims 4.
My school firewall blocks The Sims 4, is there any way to bypass it?
Firewalls that block gaming sites can be a problem when trying to play The Sims 4; thankfully, there is a simple solution. Get a VPN. This is software that will reroute your internet connection to a remote server. Therefore, your ISP won’t know what you are doing, and you’ll be able to get around the firewall. For more information, check out this Beginner’s Guide to VPNs.Visit The Sims 4 Website