PuTTY is a powerful tool that works like a terminal emulator or serial console and can encrypt and secure file transfers. Simon Tatham originally developed the software, but it has now been released as an open-source program. It supports multiple network protocols, such as SCP, SSH, Telnet, login, and raw socket connection. PuTTY can also connect to a serial port and multiple web hosting servers.
While PuTTY was initially a Windows-only program, it has been updated to work with Unix-like platforms and macOS.
Follow the instructions below and I’ll show you how to download putty on your pc for free.
How to Download PuTTY on Your PC for Free
- Click on the Download button on the sidebar, and the official PuTTY website will open in a new tab.
- Choose the MSI (Windows Installer) version for your operating system, and the setup file will automatically download to your computer.
- Open the file when the download is complete, and the Setup Wizard will appear.
- Click Next to begin the installation process.
- Choose a destination folder or use the default option, and press the Next button.
- You can customize which features to install or use the default settings. Press the Install button when you’re ready, and PuTTY will install on your computer.
How to Uninstall PuTTY From Your Computer
If PuTTY isn’t the right software for you, it can be uninstalled by following these simple steps.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar and press the Enter key.
- Locate PuTTY with your installed programs and press the uninstall button.
- The uninstallation wizard will ask you to confirm you want to delete the software. Once verified, it will be completely removed from your computer.
If you’re looking for a different SSH Client, check out the free PuTTY alternatives below.
PuTTY is a popular tool for engineers, developers, and systems administrators that frequently work with or connect to remote devices. The software is free to download and provides a secure method for safety and securely transferring data. The PuTTY client is compatible with file transfer protocols like SCP, SSH, SFTP, and Rlogin. It automatically encrypts the data and protects it from unauthorized users.
There are multiple ways to use PuTTY. If you plan to connect with other computers and devices or use the PSFTP to transfer files, you can simply open the client to create a secure connection.
If you want to use the command-line file transfer utility PSCP, you will need to open the Command Prompt to create your connection. Open CMD and type “pscp” to run the software.
PuTTY has everything one can want in an SSH terminal. The comprehensive features give users the ability to create a secure connection for transferring data quickly. Additionally, it provides support for all SSH clients and creates an encryption key authentication.
This software is needed when working on the public internet, as opposed to an intranet connection. It works similarly to a VPN, but instead of anonymizing a user’s online actions, it’s using a tunnel to transfer the data. PuTTY works with different clients, like PSCP, PSFTP, and Telnet—and protects the data from hackers or unauthorized users.
PuTTY is compatible with multiple cryptography ciphers, like 3DES, DES, and Arcfour, to provide the best security.
An important feature of PuTTY is that it also works as a terminal emulator in addition to acting as an SSH client for data transfers. This means that you can use it as a virtual machine, run a different OS, and open files that aren’t compatible with your current device. Current PuTTY supports Android, Unix, Mac, and iOS applications on your Windows computer.
Guarantees Data Security
As soon as you download PuTTY, the software is protected with the latest cryptography ciphers to guarantee that hackers can’t gain access before you set it up. Additionally, you can choose which type of encryption you want; RSA, DSA, ECDSA, EdDSA, and SSH-1 (RSA), and the number of bits in the key.
Fully Customizable Software
One feature that makes PuTTY so popular is how easy it is to customize. You can change the color, appearance, controls, and how it behaves. Users can choose to work with a basic Windows client or the DOS-based Command Line Prompt.
The settings can all be configured for your specific network needs. Start by choosing your preferred connection type, destination, hostname, log file, and other relevant details needed to connect with a remote server or device. PuTTY even lets you tag specific data as needing verification during the transfer process.
You will have complete control over your data, including selecting the terminal settings for each of the emulator options, adding functions for different keys, and modifying any of the advanced features.
Free Alternatives to PuTTY
- Solar-PuTTY: The free software from SolarWinds has a simple user interface and works similarly to PuTTY. It’s compatible with SCP, SSH, Telnet, and SFTP connections. One of its best features is a tabbed client that lets you manage multiple sessions from one device.
- KITTY: A fork from the popular PuTTY, KITTY, has the added value of addons that extend its capabilities. Some of its advanced features include session filters, automatic passwords, and it automatically saves all sessions through the Windows registry.
Is PuTTY free?
Is PuTTY safe to download?
Is PuTTY secure?
The system can generate a secure encryption key for all data transfers, which prevents hackers or unauthorized users from accessing the information. There are five different encryption levels that you can choose from, so you can be confident that the software is as secure as possible.