I was able to download and install the free version of Bitdefender in less than 5 minutes. You will have to sign up for an account, but the only personal data you’ll need to provide is a name and email address.
The program itself couldn’t be easier to run. There’s just one button, and when you click it, the system scan begins. If you want to scan a specific file or program, you can just drag and drop the file or folder onto the Bitdefender window and it will scan all folders included in that software or program.
How to Download Bitdefender for Free
- Go directly to the official BitDefender download page and choose whether you need the macOS or Windows software.
- Click on the Free Download button and the file will automatically download to your computer or mobile device.
- Run the installer program, and in under 2 minutes, Bitdefender will open.
- If you already have another antivirus program installed on your computer, Bitdefender will ask for permission to remove it, since the two programs can’t both run on the same device.
- Next, you will need to create an account (no credit card needed).
How to Uninstall Bitdefender
If you decide that the free version of Bitdefender isn’t for you, or you prefer some other features, check out the alternatives to Bitdefender below. You can easily remove Bitdefender in 3 steps.
- Type Add or Remove Program in your Windows search bar.
- Scroll down until you find Bitdefender and click Uninstall.
- You’ll receive a pop-up message asking if you’re sure you want to remove Bitdefender Just click Yes, and the software will be removed from your computer.
During the uninstallation process, a window will open in your browser with a survey asking why you’re deleting the program. You can answer the questions if you want or just close the window.
The free edition of Bitdefender is a simple antivirus program that doesn’t have many extra features (those are reserved for the paid version). However, the antivirus and malware protection is on the same high level as the premium edition. All infected, dangerous, or questionable files are added to the quarantine, where they can be re-examined and either permanently removed or restored.
While the System Scan is running, you can see the progress as it goes through all the system files. It took a little over an hour the first time I ran the scan, but then the second scan only took around 15 minutes.
If you have a specific file or folder that you want to scan, you don’t have to run a full system scan. Just drag the file or application and drop it on the Bitdefender window and it will instantly scan it.
As long as Bitdefender is activated, it will protect your computer from malicious attempts with its Protection Shield. It will neutralize any threats and update the details of the threat on the dashboard.
As with most antivirus programs, you can create an Exclusion List of certain files that you don’t want to scan or potentially quarantine. Make sure that you can trust the files before adding it to this list.
Alternatives to Bitdefender
If you’re looking for an antivirus program that has other security features or the ability to create a scanning schedule, you might be interested in these free alternatives.
- Sophos Home: The free Sophos Home antivirus software prevents types of viruses, malware, rootkits, Trojans, and more from infecting your computer. The cloud-based software can be managed remotely, from an easy-to-use dashboard. Sophos Home also includes a web filter that will block inappropriate websites from opening.
- Panda Dome: Panda Dome is a free antivirus program that works with all major platforms. It’s been lab-tested and proven to have a 100% virus detection rate. Some of the features include scheduling your scans and protective USB scans.
?Does the free version of Bitdefender remove viruses?
The virus scanning and malware removal tools used by the free version of Bitdefender are just as powerful as the subscription-based tool. It has nearly a 100% detection rate and will remove all kinds of malware from viruses, worms, and Trojans, to ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits, and spyware.
?How secure is the free version of Bitdefender?
Bitdefender is an extremely secure antivirus program, as long as you download it from the official website. The file itself has no bloatware or additional programs connected to it, provided you download it from a trusted source and not a random third-party website.
Once Bitdefender is running on your computer or smartphone, it will secure your device from viruses and malware. However, without the additional features that are included in the premium version of Bitdefender, there may still be some security issues that you’ll need to be aware of.
?What’s the difference between the free and premium versions of Bitdefender?
The free version of Bitdefender provides basic protection from viruses and malware. It has a high detection rate and will quarantine all potentially dangerous files.
The paid version of Bitdefender comes with the added benefits of a VPN, Parental Control tools, Anti-Fraud tool, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, and much more. You can try it today free for 30-days.Visit Bitdefender Website