Adobe InDesign is one of the leading graphic design layout programs with a wide range of tools. It has become the software of choice for both students and professionals who are designing layouts for both print media and interactive online publications.
While it is a comprehensive software with complex tools, the basics of InDesign aren’t that difficult and are pretty easy to master. There are plenty of tutorials and guides that will help you learn more complex tools as well.
InDesign is part of the subscription-based Creative Cloud suite of apps. However, I’ll show you how you can download it free for 7 days.
How to Download and Install Adobe InDesign for Free
- Click here and the official Adobe InDesign download page will open in a new tab.
- Click the Free Trial link on the menu bar.
- Adobe gives you two choices. You can either download the entire Creative Cloud, which includes over 20 apps, like Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, and more, or you can just download InDesign. I’m only downloading InDesign for this example, although the steps are the same for both options. Once you select your plan, click the Start Free Trial button.
- Enter your email address and press continue. If you have an Adobe account, you will be prompted to log in if you don’t have an account.
- Even though this is a completely free trial and not a money-back guarantee, Adobe requires that you enter your payment information before proceeding. When you’re done, press the Agree and Continue button.
- If you don’t have a password for the account, you will be prompted to create one now.
- Once your credit card is confirmed, the Creative Cloud installation wizard will automatically download it to your computer.
- When the download is complete, open the setup wizard and enter your password.
- Creative Cloud will install on your computer. When the installation is complete, Creative Cloud will automatically begin download InDesign. If you chose to install all the Creative Cloud apps, they would also install now. Just be aware that these are large files, and it can take a few hours for everything to install.
Adobe InDesign Overview
Adobe InDesign is one of the most popular desktop publishing programs around the world. It has all the essential tools needed for designing page layouts for both online and print publications.
With Adobe InDesign, you can add or change the headers and footers on your document, edit PDF files, change the size of an image without distorting it, choose from hundreds of fonts, and add text. As a part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, it’s also compatible with all other Adobe products, which means you can import Photoshop PSD files or vector images from Illustrator, and add them to your project.
If you’re familiar with other Adobe products, the workstation will look very familiar to you. If not, the well-designed layout is fairly easy to learn, and you can customize the toolbars, giving you quick access to the tools you use frequently.
Adobe InDesign Features
- Integrated word processor: One of the newer additions to InDesign is a word processor that can also run spell and grammar checks on your work. With more than 500 fonts and access to the Adobe Typekit, the copy on your layout will look perfect. You can use the kerning tool to adjust the space between each letter.
- Master Page Function: An important feature if you’re working on a multi-page design. The Master Page feature allows you to make edits on the master page, and it will also apply to all other pages in the project, a huge time saver.
- Easy online publishing: If you’re planning on publishing your work online, InDesign has tools to help you share it directly on most major social media networks, integrate it in an email, upload it with a standalone URL, or get an embed code to add it to any document or websites.
- Community Feedback: Adobe InDesign has a very active and helpful community. You can submit your layout or design to the community forum and receive constructive feedback from other professionals. This can include suggestions on how to improve your ideas, or if you’re unsure of how to make an edit or add a feature, the community can answer your questions.
- Video tutorials: While professionals and students ideally use InDesign, the basic functions are fairly easy to learn. Some helpful tutorials and guides will teach you how to use various tools to get started on your layout designs.
How to Uninstall Adobe InDesign
At the end of your free trial, you can uninstall Adobe InDesign in a few simple steps.
- Type Add or Remove Programs in the Windows search bar and press the Enter key.
- Find Adobe InDesign in the list of installed programs and press the Uninstall button.
- The Adobe Creative Cloud app will open and check if you want to save your InDesign settings on the computer. If you have no intention of reinstalling the software, click No.
- The Adobe Uninstallation Wizard will remove InDesign from your computer.
How to Cancel Your Adobe InDesign Account
If you’re finished using Adobe InDesign, you can cancel your account before the end of the 8-day trial. As soon as you click on the Cancel Plan link, you will lose access to InDesign. Follow these steps to cancel your Adobe account:
- Log in to your Adobe account.
- Open the Plans option, located on the menu bar.
- Click on Manage Plans.
- Press the Cancel Plan button.
- A new page will open with questions about why you’re canceling your account. You can skip the questions and just click the Confirm link at the bottom of the page.
- Once your account is canceled, you will immediately lose access to InDesign.
Additional Adobe Creative Cloud Apps
- Adobe Photoshop: The top graphic editor just keeps better.The latest version of Photoshop includes easy-to-use tools to adjust a person’s facial features, quickly change the color of the sky and improved font match tools. All of this is in addition to the high-level tools and layering methodology that made Photoshop a household name.
- Adobe Illustrator: If you’re working with vector-based images, Adobe Illustrator is a program you need to download. It comes with a complete toolset for creating, editing and producing scalable vector-based images. Illustrator has a wide selection of templates and video tutorials to teach you how to properly use each tool if you’re just getting started.
- Adobe Premiere Pro: Whether you’re creating a full-length feature film or putting together a clip show for a friend, Adobe Premiere Pro has the video editing tools for you. The multi-track editing software allows for multi-camera angle editing, adjusting color and balance, adding visual effects, and much more.
Is Adobe InDesign free?
Adobe InDesign doesn’t have a long-term free solution. However, you can download the program from the official Adobe site and get it free for 7 days.
Is Adobe InDesign secure?
There are several security measures in place, both through the Adobe Creative Cloud and with work that is created on your desktop, to prevent unwanted users from viewing your work. It is important that you download an official version of InDesign, and avoid a pirated or cracked version, as they can have serious security flaws.
Is InDesign compatible with other Adobe products?
Yes. In fact, that is one of the biggest advantages of using InDesign. From integrating and adding PDFs, to PSD files from Photoshop, or images from Premiere Pro and Illustrator, it’s a seamless integration that can result in beautiful layouts and designs.
Will I be charged at the end of my InDesign free trial?
Adobe requires you to add a payment method when signing up for the free trial so you can seamlessly continue to use it, in case you wanted to. If you decide you don’t need it anymore, make sure to cancel on time.Visit Adobe InDesign Website