How to Watch the 2022 NBA Season Online From Anywhere
I’m a huge fan of the NBA, but it’s difficult to follow the season while moving around Europe. When I searched for the best platforms to watch the NBA 2022 season from outside the supported countries, I found outdated or unofficial streams on web pages hosting malware or annoying ads.
After hours of research, I put this list of official NBA broadcasters together so you don’t have to waste time searching for a working sports stream. Since some of these platforms only work in certain countries, you’ll need to use a VPN to bypass regional blocks and access a subscription you rightfully pay for.
I tested over 20 of the best VPNs and narrowed them down to the 3 best options for watching the NBA online without a cable subscription. ExpressVPN is my top pick thanks to its super-fast servers that offer lag-free and high-quality streams. You can check out ExpressVPN completely risk-free for 30-day money-back guarantee — if you don’t like it, you can easily get a full refund.
Quick Guide: 3 Easy Steps to Watch the NBA Without Cable
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN has super-responsive servers for watching the highest-quality NBA online streams. Try ExpressVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server. Select a server where your preferred streaming service is located. I recommend the US as most of the official streaming broadcasters are based there.
- Sign up for an International NBA League Pass for access around the world. You can also watch the NBA live online with any of the other streaming services listed below.
Where to Watch the NBA Online (Alternatives to Cable)
With a quality VPN and a good streaming service, you can easily watch the NBA online without a cable subscription.
Keep in mind that many of these services are based in the US or Canada, so you may need access to a local credit card or PayPal account. You can easily get a gift card from MyGiftCardSupply.com to pay for some of the services (including Sling TV and Hulu).
- NBA League Pass (Worldwide) – This is your best option for cutting the cord and streaming all NBA games online. If you choose the International League Pass, you won’t be impacted by blackout restrictions on the US League Pass. It’s also possible to find a cheaper plan that you can use with your preferred payment method. There’s a 7-day free trial for both plans that you can try before signing up.
- AT&T TV NOW (US) – The lowest priced plan offers 45+ channels including ABC, ESPN, and NBC for extensive NBA coverage.
- DAZN (Germany) – One of the most affordable plans with NBA streaming and other global sports events.
- DirecTV (US) — Pay monthly for 5 months or all at once for the NBA League Pass, and you’ll be able to watch live games in HD from any of your devices.
- fuboTV (US) – A pricier plan that gives you access to all NBA content from the Playoffs to the Finals. This includes NBA TV for quality post-game coverage.
- Hulu + Live TV (US) – A massive range of national US and smaller regional networks. You can try it for free for 7 days.
- Sling TV (US) – If you’re a die-hard fan of just one team, the Team Pass is an affordable choice. The NBA League Pass gives you access to all games from the pre-season to the Playoffs. Sling’s Orange plan also includes TNT and ESPN, while Blue includes TNT and NBC.
- Sportsnet NOW (Canada) – The second cheapest plan on this list with coverage of the NBA, NHL, NFL, UFC, MLB, and more.
- TSN Direct (US and Canada) – The lowest cost per month with access to the NBA and a wide range of other global sports.
- YouTube TV (US) – A mix of sports and regular broadcasting, but this variety comes at a high price. Try the 7-day free trial before subscribing.
Why You Need a VPN to Watch the NBA Without a Cable Subscription
Getting access to a high-quality NBA stream from outside the US can be extremely difficult – or just unnecessarily expensive. I tested the streaming services listed above while traveling in Europe, and most of the pages didn’t load at all due to licensing restrictions. Those that did just showed me location errors (besides the League Pass which is available globally). Unless you already live in the US or Canada, you’ll face the same problem.
If you try using free unlicensed streams, you’ll likely run into several issues. The pages they’re hosted on are often infected with malware and irritating ads, putting your device in danger and creating a bad streaming experience. Even worse: these streams are sometimes taken offline in the middle of a game!
3 Best VPNs to Watch the NBA in July 2022
- 3000+ global servers with 700+ in the US to reliably unblock NBA live streams
- Highly responsive servers with no buffering while streaming
- Watch NBA games on up to 5 devices at once
- 24/7 email and live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for watching the NBA online without a cable subscription, thanks to its zero-lag server network. With these highly responsive servers, I could easily unblock NBA League Pass, Sling TV, DAZN, and more for high-quality NBA streams.
Getting started with ExpressVPN is simple – just search for a country and double-click to get connected. For me, all servers connected in less than 6 seconds, with nearby servers taking just 2 seconds! ExpressVPN’s servers are tuned to be high-performing, best demonstrated by the extremely low buffering times I got while testing the NBA streams.
Besides being extremely responsive, ExpressVPN is super fast. This allows you to watch games in the highest possible quality without slowing down your other online activity. While servers close to me reached 137Mbps, even the distant New York servers (13,000 km+ away) hit 126Mbps! These consistently high speeds meant I didn’t have to adjust my internet usage at all — I could stream, browse, and download large files simultaneously without lag.
You can use ExpressVPN to watch NBA games online risk-free as it’s supported by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you find you’re not satisfied with the product, you can get a refund through ExpressVPN’s customer support. To check this policy, I signed up for 1-month and then got in touch with an agent through the 24/7 live chat. While many VPN reps are pushy to keep you as a customer, ExpressVPN has a no-questions-asked policy. They immediately approved my request and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. The money was back in my account in just 5 days. If you use PayPal, you can get it back within a couple of hours!
ExpressVPN unblocks: Hulu, DAZN, Fox Sports, beIN Sports, BT Sport, YouTube TV, Sling TV, NBC Sports, Amazon Prime Video, BBC Sport, AT&T TV, and more.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Chromebook, Kodi, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, various smart TVs, select routers, and more.
July 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 7900+ servers and 1,000+ in the US to reliably unblock NBA live streams
- 4 optimized high-speed sports streaming servers
- Watch NBA games on up to 7 devices simultaneously
- Customer support available through live chat or email
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost has dedicated streaming servers highly optimized for reliable access to numerous streaming services. You’ll easily be able to access the NBA and follow every basket with CyberGhost’s servers for Sling TV, Hulu, YouTube TV, and ESPN. Keep in mind that CyberGhost’s regular servers can also be used for streaming, but may not be as reliable for unblocking the NBA.
I reached a minimum of 151Mbps with CyberGhost’s distant New York server and 168Mbps from London. These speeds are perfect for multitasking – you’ll have no problems streaming games in full HD (or even 4K where supported) while simultaneously downloading or browsing.
CyberGhost also supports up to 7 devices, so you can catch every layup and 3-pointer anywhere you go. I connected 2 PCs, a Fire Stick 4K, an Android phone, a MacBook, and an iPad with no impact on speeds or stream quality!
You can try CyberGhost’s dedicated sports streaming servers risk-free for 45 days with its money-back guarantee. This gives you plenty of time to check out the VPN’s ability to stream the NBA before you subscribe. To verify the policy, I signed up for a monthly plan and contacted customer support through 24/7 live chat. After the agent attempted to get me to reconsider my cancellation, I explained I just wanted the refund and my request was approved. Even though I paid via credit card, I had the money back in my account in just 3 days.
CyberGhost unblocks: Hulu, DAZN, Fox Sports, beIN Sports, BT Sport, YouTube TV, Sling TV, NBC Sports, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV, various Smart TVs, select routers, and more.
July 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Security Protocols to Maximize Speeds for NBA Streams
- 35000+ servers in 80 countries
- High-speed servers to watch NBA games from anywhere lag-free
- Watch on up to 10 devices at once
- Live chat and email support 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Private Internet Access (PIA) offers a huge range of settings to let you optimize your performance and streaming speed for NBA games. You can choose 128-bit encryption to give your NBA streams an extra boost for buffer-free HD video. Even though 128-bit isn’t the highest encryption level, it’s plenty for low-risk online activities like streaming. While it’s still powerful enough to hide your data and keep your activities private, you’ll have less lag and fewer quality reductions.
Although altering security options may be offered by other VPNs on desktop versions of their apps, not many allow you to change them on your mobile devices. I was pleasantly surprised that PIA gives you total freedom on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, meaning you’re able to choose the level of protection for each of your devices. Not only security, but I was able to change settings that enhanced streaming speeds or performance for my device.
As for its download speeds, PIA’s servers didn’t underperform during my tests when compared to other VPNs on the list. While their speeds depended on which country I wanted to connect to, most PIA servers still provided me with speeds above 18Mbps. That was enough for me to easily watch various Twitch streamers live without buffering.
As a new user, you’ll get a chance to try PIA’s customizable features risk-free for 30 days. I found it extremely helpful as it took me a few days to fully understand how to make the most of PIA’s customized settings. I canceled my subscription online after using PIA for 27 days and received a refund directly to my bank account a week later.
PIA also unblocks: DAZN, Fox Sports, ESPN SPORTS, BT Sport, YouTube TV, Sling TV, NBC Sports, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
PIA also works on: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple TV, various Smart TVs, and more.
July 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 82% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
Using a Free VPN to Watch the NBA Without Cable Isn’t a Good Idea – Here’s Why
I’ve done extensive testing on some of the top free VPNs on the market. Unfortunately, I can’t recommend any for watching the NBA online due to their extensive technical and security issues.
Free VPNs are bad options for streaming video as they have extremely limited bandwidth and speeds as well as small server networks. This leads to overcrowded servers and low-quality streams since servers can’t allocate enough resources to help you get a stable connection. You’ll likely have issues unblocking streaming platforms too as a limited amount of IP and DNS addresses aren’t quickly replaced when a service blocks them.
You can bypass all of these problems by getting a quality premium VPN instead. ExpressVPN’s fast, large, and secure network makes it the perfect VPN for watching the NBA online. Better yet, ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out for yourself completely risk-free. If you’re not happy with it, you can always get a refund.
Common FAQs About the NBA (and VPNs)
Can I watch the 2022 NBA season online for free?
No, there aren’t any official free online NBA broadcasters — but you can check the list of streaming providers to find one with a free trial. All of my recommended VPNs also have money-back guarantees of 30 days or more. If you combine them, you can get easy access to more than 100 games with no risk.
You can check out ExpressVPN’s high-performance network and watch the NBA risk-free. ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee — if you’re not satisfied, you can easily request a refund.
Will ABC, ESPN, or TNT stream the NBA 2022?
Yes, all 3 channels will be streaming the NBA 2022 season. You can find them on the various streaming platforms listed above, including Sling TV, AT&T TV NOW, and Hulu + Live TV. However, I recommend the official NBA League Pass for the best NBA viewing experience — it offers 4 games in split-screen, mobile viewing, and high-resolution live streams and replays.
Can I livestream the NBA from specific countries?
Yes, the NBA offers streams and commentary from various countries and languages around the world. You can read the full list of recommended streaming options above or read on for a country-specific breakdown (without the official League Pass):
Don’t Miss a Single Buzzer Beater and Watch the NBA Online From Anywhere!
The NBA 2022 season has heart-stopping moments, as the teams slam, juke, and shoot their way to victory and the NBA Finals. With every play potentially being a game-changing one, it’s important that you use a VPN that prioritizes speed and performance.
Due to its high speeds and extremely responsive servers, ExpressVPN is my #1 choice for watching the NBA 2022 season. It’s proven to bypass geoblocks for sporting events and geo-restricted streams around the world every single time. You can even use it to get access to many other sporting events including the NFL, NHL, and the Premier League.
See for yourself – you can try ExpressVPN completely risk-free and if you’re not satisfied, you have up to 30 days to claim a refund. The refund policy is super easy (I’ve tested it myself) so you have zero risk for signing up!