What Is IMDb TV and How to Watch It for Free Abroad in 2022
IMDb has always been my favorite source of celebrity information, but I never knew it had a streaming service too. I found I could binge-watch Mad Men and Lie to Me, all for free while at home. But on my next trip abroad I realized that IMDb TV is unavailable outside the US and the UK. So I did some research to find a solution.
The solution turned out to be simple: a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN routes your internet traffic through a server in a country of your choice. This masks your original IP address and gives you a “new” IP address, one from the country that you have chosen.
I tried more than 15 VPNs and after multiple rounds of testing, ExpressVPN emerged as the top VPN for IMDb TV. It reliably bypasses IMDb TV’s geo blocks and you can try ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free, because it’s covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you decide that it’s not for you, you are eligible for a refund.
Quick Guide: Watch IMDb TV From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN — its lightning-fast connection speeds will allow you to enjoy IMDb TV shows without buffering. It’s even covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try all of ExpressVPN’s features, risk-free.
- Connect to a server in the US or the UK. This will allow you to access IMDb TV shows from anywhere.
- Start watching IMDb TV. Log in to amazon.com/imdbtv, and start streaming.
What Is IMDb TV and How Is It Different From IMDb.com
IMDb TV is an ad-supported streaming service delivered by Amazon that gives you access to movies and shows without having to purchase a subscription. You can sign up to IMDb TV using your Amazon details, Facebook, or email address. There’s no need to provide your credit card details. IMDb.com, on the other hand, is one of the world’s biggest movie databases. IMDb TV used to be accessible from IMDb.com, but not anymore.
The amount of shows and movies available on IMDb TV is astounding. I was able to watch classics such as Malcolm in the Middle, MacGyver, and Bewitched, as well as newer shows, movies, and documentaries like Scream Queens, Wild, and The Imposter. There’s a lot of quality content on this platform, and it’s all for free. However, keep in mind that unlike other streaming services, IMDb TV does not give you access to cable channels.
For users in the UK, IMDb TV shows are available on the Amazon website, or on the Fire TV app. Users from the US can access IMDb TV shows on the Amazon website, or as an app on the following devices:
IMDb TV did have a seperate site called IMDb Freedive, but it is no longer available on the IMDb website (IMDb.com) or app. You can only find IMDb TV’s content through Amazon.
How a VPN Helps You Watch IMDb TV From Anywhere
All of IMDb TV’s free shows are only accessible to people in the US and the UK. A lot of platforms put their shows behind strict geo-blocks because of licensing and copyright issues. A VPN helps you get past these geo-blocks, giving you access to IMDb content wherever you might be.
A VPN works like this: it routes your traffic through a private server located in the country of your choice. This server will change your IP address to make it look like you’re trying to access the site from your chosen location. For example, if you connect to a server in the US or the UK, IMDb TV will think that you’re browsing from within those countries, so it will give you access to all the shows on its library.
The Best VPNs to Watch IMDb TV in July 2022
- 3000 servers in 94 countries, with plenty of options located in the US and the UK to unblock IMDb TV
- High-speed connections across all servers, with a built-in speed test feature to help you pick your favorite servers
- Connect 5 devices simultaneously — enjoy IMDb TV shows on all of your devices
- Reliable 24/7 live chat and email customer support to help with any and all concerns
- Generous 30-day money back guarantee will allow you to test it with IMDb TV, risk-free
In terms of connection speeds and added features, ExpressVPN is definitely the best VPN to watch IMDb TV abroad. I ran speed tests on various locations, and I was really impressed by the results. While other VPNs have a tendency to slow down internet connections by more than 50%, ExpressVPN maintains consistently fast speeds. My speeds never strayed far from my default 105Mbps no matter which server I connected to.
While ExpressVPN’s speeds are consistently fast across various servers, I love using the built-in speed test feature when choosing a server to connect to. It instantly shows me the latency, download speeds, and upload speeds of all available servers. I run a speed test before choosing the right US or UK server to connect to.
Another thing I like about ExpressVPN is it’s compatible with a long list of devices. I usually watch IMDb TV shows on my browser while connected to the ExpressVPN app, and it’s so quick to use. The ExpressVPN app on mobile (iPhone and Android), also works effortlessly with the IMDb app. ExpressVPN plan allows for 5 simultaneous device connections, so your entire household can all enjoy IMDb TV at the same time, on your respective devices.
However, ExpressVPN is a bit more expensive than other premium VPNs in the market. It’s a good thing that a longer 2-year or 3-year annual plan will help you get a discount of up to 49%. You can test all of its features, risk-free for, 30 — see for yourself how smoothly it works with IMDb TV. If you’re not satisfied, you can easily request a refund.
I put ExpressVPN’s customer support to the test by requesting a refund through live chat. I wanted to see how quick and easy the process was. The representative was helpful, my refund request was approved within minutes, and the money was in my account within a week.
ExpressVPN works with: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, Chrome, Kindle, Firefox, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Smart TVs.
ExpressVPN unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, YouTube TV, ESPN, and more.
July 2022 Update! ExpressVPN has dropped prices for a limited time to a crazy $6.67 per month for the 1-year plan (you can save up to 49%) + 3 months free! This is a limited offer so be sure to grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
- 7900 servers in 91 countries across the globe with multiple servers in the US and the UK, ensuring access to IMDb TV from anywhere
- Optimized servers unblock various streaming services so you can enjoy not only your favorite IMDb shows, but shows on other platforms as well
- Allows 7 simultaneous connections under one plan, allowing you to enjoy IMDb TV on various devices
- 24/7 live chat, customer support, and email helpdesk whenever you need it
- Backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee — test it with IMDb, and if you’re not satisfied, you can request a refund
CyberGhost’s streaming-optimized servers are each designed for maximum performance on a given platform. These servers ensure that you’re using an original IP address that will go undetected by the platform you’re trying to access. It doesn’t have a dedicated server for IMDb TV yet, but CyberGhost’s US and UK based servers unblocks IMDb TV perfectly well. If you’re subscribed to various streaming platforms, this is a great feature for you.
In terms of speed, CyberGhost is definitely up there with ExpressVPN. Repeated testing showed consistently fast speeds, fast enough to binge-watch IMDb shows without buffering. I watched shows while connected to various servers located in the US and the UK, and tested servers all over the world, and no server went below the recommended HD streaming speeds of 25Mbps.
CyberGhost is also available on a wide variety of devices. I tried it on Android and iPhone and it worked with the IMDb TV app. It also has a native Windows and MAC application that’s perfect for when you stream your IMDb TV shows on the Amazon website.
However, I don’t really like CyberGhost’s desktop interface. You can’t resize the window, and it takes quite a bit of space, even so when you expand it to see the server list. Some people like the interface, but it would have been better if the window was adjustable, or at least smaller.
CyberGhost is one of the best options when it comes to watching IMDb from anywhere. Its optimized servers, fast speeds, and device compatibility makes it definitely worth checking out. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee, which means you can test CyberGhost risk-free. If you’re not satisfied, you can easily claim a refund. I requested a refund via live chat, and I received my money within a week.
CyberGhost works with: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Smart TVs.
CyberGhost also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, YouTube TV, ESPN, and more.
July 2022 Update! You can subscribe to CyberGhost for as low as $2.29 per month + get extra 3 months free with the 3-year plan (save up to 83%)! This is a limited offer so grab it now before it's gone. See more information on this offer here.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Free Ad, Tracker, and Malware Blocker to Block IMDb Ads While Streaming
- 35000 servers in 80 countries across the globe with multiple servers located in the US and the UK to unblock IMDb TV
- Built-in ad, tracker, and malware blocker (MACE) successfully blocks IMDb TV ads for an uninterrupted watching experience
- Allows 10 simultaneous device connections – enough to cover all of your household devices
- Customer support through live chat and email available, 24/7
- Covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it with IMDb TV, and claim a refund if it’s not to your satisfaction
IMDb TV is ad-supported, so if you don’t want ads to interrupt your show or movie, you’re going to need an ad-blocker. PIA’s built-in ad, tracker, and malware blocker (also known as MACE) ensures that you have an uninterrupted watching experience on IMDb TV. It’s a setting that you can quickly activate from the VPN app. Unlike other ad-blockers, MACE stops ads at the most basic level, meaning the ads won’t even load on your browser or app.
Testing various PIA servers revealed speeds fast enough for streaming, but the results varied depending on server location. The slowest result I’ve gotten is 23Mbps, which is quite a difference from my usual speeds of around 105 Mbps. This happened while I was connected to a server that’s quite far from my actual location. It’s still fast enough to watch shows and movies in HD, but not good enough for 4K.
PIA allows 10 simultaneous device connections, which makes it a great option for a household VPN. It’s also compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, iOS and other major devices and operating systems. I love that I and my entire household can watch our favorite IMDb TV shows at the same time.
Keep in mind that PIA is based in the United States, which to some can be a privacy issue. The US is a member of the Five-Eyes alliance, an intelligence partnership with 4 other countries. They collect and exchange data on each other’s citizens. However, PIA is quite open about its commitment to keeping no logs, and they’ve even testified to it in court. Privacy is important, so you should definitely check out a VPN’s no-log policy when choosing.
The VPN is covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so try PIA’s streaming features for IMDb TV. If it’s not to your satisfaction, you can claim a refund. I tested how reliable their customer support is by requesting a refund via live chat. I was connected to an agent within seconds. My refund request was approved within minutes, and I got the money back in my account in 4 days.
PIA works with: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, routers, Kindle, Chrome, Firefox, PlayStation, Xbox, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Smart TVs.
PIA also unblocks: Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, YouTube TV, and more.
July 2022 Update! For a limited time only, save 82% with the 2-year plan + get an additional 2 months free! Hurry and check out the deal here!
How to Watch IMDb TV on Different Devices From Anywhere
For users in the US, there are multiple ways to watch your favorite shows on IMDb TV. It works on a variety of devices, including your web browser, mobile device, game console, smart TV, or Amazon Fire device. Users in the UK can only watch IMDb TV on the Amazon website or the Fire TV app. Keep it in mind if you do decide to connect to your chosen VPN’s UK server.
Desktop or PC (Windows or Mac Computers)
- Choose and download a reliable VPN. You can try ExpressVPN’s Windows app or try its Mac app. It’s one of the top Windows VPN choices, and is also very easy to install on Mac.
- Open the VPN and connect to a server in the US or the UK.
- Log in to amazon.com/imdbtv and enjoy watching your favorite shows.
- Download a VPN for iOS or Apple. ExpressVPN has an official app for both iOS and Android devices.
- Launch the VPN. Connect to a server in either the US or the UK.
- Access the IMDb TV site or IMDb TV app. Enjoy your favorite shows.
- Download a VPN. Make sure you choose a VPN that has a native app for Smart TVs, such as ExpressVPN or CyberGhost.
- Sign in to the VPN. After you’ve signed in, connect to a server in the US or the UK.
- Install and download the IMDb app. After you’ve logged in, you can now enjoy shows on IMDb.
- Download a VPN. Make sure you choose a VPN with a native app for Amazon Fire devices, such as ExpressVPN.
- Configure the VPN. Don’t forget to configure the VPN for your Amazon Fire device.
- Sign in with your Amazon, then IMDb TV account. Once you’ve logged in, you can now enjoy IMDb TV shows.
How to Sign up With IMDb TV in 2022
IMDb TV is a free offering from Amazon, so to access it, you would need to sign up for a free account — meaning you don’t need Amazon Prime to watch. If you don’t have an Amazon account yet, here’s how to do sign up:
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for IMDb because of its fast connection speeds and a bufferless streaming experience. Connect to a US or UK server. IMDb TV is restricted outside of the US and the UK.
- Go to amazon.com. Click the “Sign In” button on the top right corner of the page. You will be taken to the sign-in page. Click the “Create your Amazon account” button.
- Create your account. Key in your name, your mobile number or email, and a password.
- Verify your account. After you’ve clicked “Continue”, you will be asked for a one-time password (OTP). You can check your email or messages for this OTP. Once you’ve entered the OTP, click “Verify.”
- Enjoy watching. You can now log in to amazon.com/imdbtv using your verified Amazon login credentials.
FAQs on Watching IMDb TV With a VPN
Do I have to pay to watch IMDb TV?
No, IMDb TV is a completely free service from Amazon. However, you should keep in mind that IMDb is ad-supported, so your movies or shows might occasionally be interrupted by ads.
Is IMDb TV included with Amazon Prime?
Yes, so you’ll be able to stream all of its content from Amazon. This means you have to sign up for an account to have access to IMDb TV. A free Amazon account will still give you ad-supported access to IMDb TV’s shows and movies, but you can use your Amazon Prime account to access IMDb TV.
How do I watch IMDB TV without Amazon Prime?
You do not need to pay for an Amazon Prime subscription to watch movies and shows on IMDb TV. All you need to do is sign up for an Amazon account. You can access IMDb TV’s entire content library using your Amazon login credentials.
How can I watch IMDb TV Without ads?
You can use a VPN with a built-in ad-blocker. On the list are two top VPNs that work great for IMDb TV and also have a built-in ad-blocker: CyberGhost and PIA. Both VPNs are also covered by money-back guarantees that will allow you to try them risk-free.
Can I watch IMDb TV with a free VPN?
- They have slow speeds and limited bandwidth with frequent buffering and sudden stops.
- They can’t unblock content restrictions, so you may not be able to watch IMDb TV at all.
- They can sell your data to third parties.
- They allow advertisers to target you with ads.
- They sell network access to potentially dangerous third parties.
For the sake of your privacy and security, I recommend that you use a premium VPN. All 3 VPNs on this list offer money-back guarantees.
Start Watching IMDb TV Today!
IMDb TV offers a huge amount of free quality content, and it’s all available for free. Just by connecting to a US or UK server with a VPN, you can access IMDb TV’s from anywhere. You can also access Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and many other streaming services.
Choosing one of the VPNs on this article will ensure a reliable, bufferless access to IMDb TV wherever you might be. I definitely recommend ExpressVPN. You can test ExpressVPN yourself, risk-free since it’s backed by a no-questions-asked 30-day money-back guarantee. That’s more than enough time for you to see if it’s the right fit, and if you decide that it’s not, you can claim a refund.