5 Best VPNs for Australia – Updated Results for January 2020Last Updated by Adam Wagner on January 01, 2020
Don’t you just hate it when the rest of the world gets to watch your favorite shows before you do? Unfortunately, Australia is often the last priority for new online releases — whether it be TV shows, movies, music, or games. That’s why a VPN is essential to keep up with global content releases.
A VPN will also allow you to overcome the Australian government’s invasive internet surveillance. I’m really careful about my privacy, and I don’t want my ISP legally retaining my personal metadata for 2 years. If you don’t want the government to track your online activities, a VPN will protect you.
By using a VPN to hide your true location, you can also download torrent files from BitTorrent tracker sites and avoid paying an extra 10% on digital goods from foreign vendors (also known as the “Netflix Tax”).
I tested the biggest providers in Australia to find the 5 best VPNs. All of these services offer excellent security, privacy from the government and other third-parties, allow torrenting, and can bypass Netflix’s geo-restrictions.
Quick Guide: The 5 Best VPNs for Australia
- ExpressVPN — Fastest VPN on the market, and perfect for streaming and downloading. Offers advanced encryption to keep your data safe.
- NordVPN — More than 5,700 servers in 60 countries and outside 14 Eyes jurisdiction, but slower speeds compared to ExpressVPN.
- CyberGhost — Includes an Online Tracking Blocker so websites can’t track you and a strict no-log policy, but Netflix access is limited to certain countries.
- Surfshark— Budget-friendly option that hides your VPN from your ISP using proprietary Camouflage technology, but limited number of servers.
- PrivateVPN — Quick installation and free for 7 days without a credit card, but limited number of servers and unable to bypass Netflix’s geo-restrictions.
The Top 5 VPNs for Australia
I’ve narrowed down the 5 best VPNs out of hundreds of providers in the market. You can try any of these VPNs with a free trial or money-back guarantee — it’ll be completely risk-free.
1. ExpressVPN — Lightning Fast Download Speeds
- 100+ servers in four locations within Australia
- OpenVPN protocol and AES 256-bit encryption
- Safe from the 14 Eyes in the BVI
- No-log policy
- Private DNS servers to protect you from leaks
- Connects 5 devices at the same time
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Australia and the best VPN that I’ve reviewed altogether. This service is known for having some of the fastest speeds, and reliably streamed every server I tried.
Your data will always be secure with top-of-the-line security features, including an OpenVPN protocol, AES 256-bit encryption, a no-logging policy, and Smart DNS. Located in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), you’ll also be safe from the 14-Eyes.
You can try ExpressVPN for 30 days risk-free with the money-back guarantee.
2. NordVPN — More Servers to Choose From
- 5,700 servers in 60 different countries
- AES 256-bit encryption and Double VPN technology (encrypts your data twice)
- Located in Panama and outside the 14 Eyes
- Strict zero-log policy
- DNS leak protection and Onion Over VPN to keep you extra secure from data leaks
- Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
With more than 5,700 servers, located across 60 countries, and 240+ options in Australia, NordVPN has consistently impressed me. The large number of servers ensures that no matter where you’re trying to connect, you’ll have plenty of choices.
NordVPN can easily bypass geo-restrictions, allowing you to watch all the major streaming services. Whether you want to watch BBC iPlayer from Australia, or watch Australian Netflix while you’re traveling abroad, you’ll be covered.
Since the service is located in Panama, you don’t have to worry about any data retention laws. You can also try NordVPN for 30 days using the money-back guarantee.
3. CyberGhost — The Longest Money-Back Guarantee
- 4,800 servers in around 60 countries — and 70+ located in Australia
- AES 256-bit cipher with a 4096-bit RSA key and SHA256 for authentication
- Located in Romania and safe from the 14 Eyes
- No-log policy
- IPv6 and DNS leak protection
- Connects 7 devices at the same time
- Customer support available 24/7
- 45-day money-back guarantee
CyberGhost is another great option for streaming, downloading, and maintaining your privacy while in Australia. Whether you’re trying to watch your favorite show on US Netflix, or access a torrenting site that’s been banned, CyberGhost can handle it.
This VPN is easy to use on any device. The service offers setting profiles that are dedicated to different online activities, such as torrenting, unblocking websites, streaming, and more. Simply choose a setting profile and CyberGhost will automatically optimize your settings, select the best server type, and activate relevant features.
With a 45-day money-back guarantee, CyberGhost also has the longest risk-free trial on this list.
4. Surfshark — Most Budget-Friendly Option
Surfshark is by far the cheapest option on this list — but this VPN has a lot to offer despite its low price tag.
Surfshark’s military-grade encryption keeps your data hidden, and its Camouflage Mode will help to conceal that you’re using a VPN from your ISP. These measures will keep your online activities private, regardless of Australia’s data retention laws.
You can try Surfshark with a 7-day free trial (no credit card required) or 30 days with a money-back guarantee.
- 800+ servers to choose from
- AES 256-bit encryption, an OpenVPN protocol, and an Automatic kill switch
- Located in the BVI and away from the 14 Eyes
- No-log policy
- Built-in IPv4 and IPv6 leak protection
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Live chat available 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee, and 7-day free trial
5. PrivateVPN — Incredibly User-Friendly Interface
With a 1-click setup, you can start using this VPN in about a minute. Whether you have a Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or you’re using a router, PrivateVPN is incredibly easy to install.
The support staff is another reason the service stands out. When you contact support, the company connects you directly with in-house developers. Available 24/7, this team of professionals can solve most problems quickly and easily.
You can try PrivateVPN free for 7 days, and you don’t even need to give out your credit card information. Once your free trial is finished, you can use the service for 30 more days with the money-back guarantee.
- More than 150 servers across 60 countries
- Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption with 2048-bit DH key
- Located in Sweden, where there are no traffic logs due to privacy laws
- No-log policy (but it does collect your cookies and IP address)
- IPv6 leak protection
- Connects 6 devices at once
- 24/7 live chat for customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee and 7-day free trial
How to Get US Netflix From Australia
Living in Australia, you might feel left out due to the amount of programming that you simply can’t access. Services like Netflix and the BBC iPlayer have geo-restricted content that limits what’s available to you. Fortunately, watching Netflix from the US or UK, and streaming other blocked content is easy to do with the right VPN.
By using any of the services that I suggested above, you can avoid the Netflix proxy error and stream from any country you’d like.
These services will also let you watch the BBC iPlayer from anywhere within Australia.
I’d suggest trying ExpressVPN or NordVPN for the best streaming experience. Both are super fast when streaming content from Australia — you can even watch Netflix US in HD without any annoying buffering.
How to Access Australian Content from Anywhere
If you happen to be traveling, you can also watch Australian shows from abroad, like Love Island Australia. Simply use a VPN to get an Australian IP address and you’ll be watching your favorite shows in no time.
Once again, I recommend either ExpressVPN or NordVPN for streaming content from Australia. With ExpressVPN’s 100+ Australian servers, and NordVPN’s 240+ servers in the country, both will give you many options for connecting within Australia.
What Is the Best Free VPN for Australia?
A free VPN may sound enticing but many of these services could leave you disappointed, or worse. Most free VPNs have data caps, bandwidth limits, slower speeds, and fewer servers. These services can rarely handle even simple tasks, like streaming.
A bigger issue with free VPNs – which is much more concerning – is your privacy. In order to turn a profit, many of these services will sell your information to advertisers. This may actually reduce your privacy while online and defeat the entire purpose of using a VPN to begin with. Because of this, I think it’s well-worth paying the small subscription fees to guarantee a quality VPN service.
However, there are a few free VPNs worth considering, such as Hotspot Shield and Windscribe. These services will keep your data secure, but are still extremely limited in terms of streaming and downloading torrents.
Which VPN Should You Choose?
Selecting the right VPN will depend on your individual needs.
I recommend Express VPN if you want to download torrents and stream Netflix at top speeds. With excellent reviews, this service will also keep your data secure with its advanced Trusted Server Technology, military-grade encryption, and BVI location.
NordVPN is another provider that has received great reviews and is a good choice for frequent travelers abroad. You’ll be able to watch your favorite Aussie shows, thanks to its large number of servers located within Australia. This is another service that I’d trust to keep me secure when downloading torrents or avoiding the “Netflix Tax.”
If budget is your main concern, give Surfshark a try. Subscriptions will only cost a few cents a day, which makes this VPN the most economical choice.
Regardless of which VPN you choose, if it’s on my list, it’ll be able to handle torrenting, streaming, and protecting your online privacy both within Australia and abroad.
Still not sure which VPN is right for you? Each of the VPNs listed here also has a free trial or money-back guarantee. So you can try it out yourself and make certain it’ll cover your needs before you buy.